New Ship Name Revealed tomorrow 18/2/21

cruisefan2012

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

That is what I first saw when I watched the video, then realised my error, however I think Ariva might will have been a better name, and it would not surprise me if Arvia Technology, a water treatment company seek to prevent it.

Or might enjoy the promotional publicity?

1 hour ago, amajaa said:

Not keen but I suppose we will get used to it.

I saw an R in the video so thought it was going to be Regina.

I think they were going to call it that, but when Paul Ludlow was recording the announcement video they decided that the way he was pronouncing it was a risk too far. 😂 

• Haha 4

On a serious note, I know that we can be a critical lot but if this thread is anything to go by I’d say the approval rate for this new name is around 1%.

I know from personal experience that marketing & brand ‘experts’ can come up with some fantastic ideas but can also come up with some dire ones that work in their minds but don’t translate to ‘normal people’. I fear that Arvia falls into the latter category. In well run companies, a good CEO or MD will respectfully reject such ideas and send the experts back to the drawing board. Shame that didn’t happen in this case. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

The majority of responders on Twitter seem to like it. I don’t mind it. 

Perhaps P&O have encourage their staffers to post favourable comments, just as they did with the refunds debacle 😉 On that note, where’s Molecrochip? 

• Like 5

The sycophants on that well known social media site seem to like it, but, they would have been happy even if they had gone with my idea of Dogs Doodahs.

I think the problem is that as it is virtually a made up name (OK , it comes from Latin, but it's not a well known Latin verb) people will tend to forget it, and revert to the closest alternative, which is Arriva.

Selbourne is right - the CEO should have told the brand agency to go away and come back with a more memorable name.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Perhaps P&O have encourage their staffers to post favourable comments, just as they did with the refunds debacle 😉 On that note, where’s Molecrochip? 

Probably embarrassed with the name and keeping his head down.

Seriously I hope he is well as he hasn't been around for a while

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

The majority of responders on Twitter seem to like it. I don’t mind it. 

I agree,there's a lot of negative responses on here at the moment but i'm sure the vast majority out there will see it as a good move.Very positive move by P&O,well done.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WECRUISEUK said:

Very positive move by P&O,well done.

Exactly how is it a positive move to name a ship after a water treatment company,  using a name that is also similar to a bus company?

Surely a positive move would have been to give the ship an instantly memorable name, that cannot be confused with anything else? 

To be fair, they got it right with Iona, but have failed miserably this time.

It's also interesting to see that there are more and more unfavourable comments appearing on social media.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Exactly how is it a positive move to name a ship after a water treatment company,  using a name that is also similar to a bus company?

Surely a positive move would have been to give the ship an instantly memorable name, that cannot be confused with anything else? 

I blame the government🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, brian1 said:

When we moved into our Italian house,we bought a washing machine called Arvo.The only one made in Italy now.It leaked after 2 weeks,got an Indesit.

Hope that Arvia doesn’t develop a leak after 2 weeks. That would be a problem!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It's only a name............in my opinion it sounds good,before this i had never heard of it before and because it reminds you of another company name........so what.Get over it and let's all move on,things could and have been a lot worse,here we are discussing a name of a new ship.

Edited by WECRUISEUK