Newbie here-Dress Code Questions

cruisekitty22

Honestly, the OP never said it was the sweatsuit issue that has them not wanting to sail =X=, even though that very may well be the reason.

It may have been the snarky comments, also.

It is like with us, over 30 =X= cruises and 20 years ago, when we really did consider cancelling our first sailing on Celebrity after reading some of the nasty comments on this very site.  Things like "a navy sport coat and tan slacks absolutely do NOT fit the ambiance of Celebrity dining.  For us, it is either a DJ (tux)  either in white or black."  Or "pool games?  POOL games?  I think you need to go back to your party line, Carnival"  Or the classic, "I think you need to find another cruise line.  Celebrity is not for you, obviously."

Fortunately, we ignored the comments when another poster said, and I quote, "Some Celebrity cruisers are not better than anyone else.  They just think they are.""

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Honestly, the OP never said it was the sweatsuit issue that has them not wanting to sail =X=, even though that very may well be the reason.

It is like with us, over 30 =X= cruises and 20 years ago, when we really did consider cancelling our first sailing on Celebrity after reading some of the nasty comments on this very site.  Things like "a navy sport coat and tan slacks absolutely do NOT fit the ambiance of Celebrity dining.  For us, it is either a DJ (tux)  either in white or black."  Or "pool games?  POOL games?  I think you need to go back to your party line, Carnival"  Or the classic, "I think you need to find another cruise line.  Celebrity is not for you, obviously."

Fortunately, we ignored the comments when another poster said, and I quote, "Some Celebrity cruisers are not better than anyone else.  They just think they are.""

I have never and would never let someone's opinion, negative or positive influence me from cruising a ship, cruise line or itinerary. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I have never and would never let someone's opinion, negative or positive influence me from cruising a ship, cruise line or itinerary. 

Agreed.

That is why we became loyal =X= cruisers instead of retreating to NCL or Carnival.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

I agree with you. 😊

However, ECC and I were essentially making the same point. If posters are looking for valid answers to their questions why should they receive inappropriate responses? Jm2c.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Can you point to another forum that handles questions with more tact as an example to the rest of us?  Dress code threads get exciting, unfortunately. 

I can think of 3 off the top of my head.  Azamara, Oceania, Viking Ocean boards.  Not that they are 100% pristine, but a lot less sniping in my experience.

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Unfortunately, the unnecessary comments are spreading to threads on topics other than just the dress code these days.

Yes, it could be these threads are getting edgier during this Pandemic but I personally think it’s been that way since I joined ‘a few years ago’! One of my earliest posts was about how I loved being able to sample different entree’s and such at the MDR and I got attacked for wasting food and driving costs up. It then degraded into attacks on my character. The thread got locked, but the guy who was really attacking me started another thread going crazy over my affront of wasting his money and that got shut down. Life on an anonymous world. You don’t see any of that on the Roll Calls were we will meet up face-face. 

A lot of times we, especially me, do poke fun on threads and sometimes it gets a bit too pointed at another poster. The point of the great majority of the discussion here was that the sweats weren’t allowed, and then discussed as inappropriate and then into shots such as the ‘Subway’ post and mine about being shocked, shocked that someone wouldn’t be wearying their ascot......

I’m afraid the original poster then interpreted this as Celebrity was too ‘haughty’ for them when in fact all was meant is sweats aren’t in line and regular pants such as dockers and so on are fine. 

Not a big deal, though. Lots of Cruise Line choices. 

What we wear is very subjective. I’ve seen outfits in many environnements  that I’d not be seen in no matter what. On a tour of Dachau, a woman wore a Mickey Mouse sweatshirt.......there wasn’t any dress code, just common sense that should have been in play touring a place where ten’s of thousands died horrible deaths. One guess of her ‘nationality’ and the first guess doesn’t count! 

Wearing sweats to a dining room isn’t that level, it just isn’t allowed because it isn’t appropriate for that specific occasion. 

Den

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Like the gelato threads 

How about a few more to get the adrenalin " going "---

Gratuities,   Slobs at the " Slugfest on 14 ",   Chair Hogs at the Pool ,  and,  LOL-----the ever famous " Who's On Board " .  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

A lot of times we, especially me, do poke fun on threads and sometimes it gets a bit too pointed at another poster. The point of the great majority of the discussion here was that the sweats weren’t allowed, and then discussed as inappropriate and then into shots AKA harmless humor such as the ‘Subway’ post and mine about being shocked, shocked that someone wouldn’t be wearying their ascot...

7 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Unfortunately that's the rub.

Though you thought it was humor, it was not perceived as such by others.

How do you think the OP interpreted it?

I had to ask myself, is the OP serious?  I was surprised by the question.

16 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Unfortunately that's the rub.

Though you thought it was humor, it was not perceived as such by others.

How do you think the OP interpreted it?

perhaps not by some "others" it was not, and that is OK, but by other "others" it was and that is OK too, again, was harmless, we are talking about sweatpants...

• Haha 1