The Daily for Friday Mar 05, 2021

richwmn

Today is Employee Appreciation Day, National Poutine Day, National Speech and Debate Education Day, and National Salesperson Day

Life itself still remains a very effective therapist. - Karen Horney

Meal suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Kalua Pork & Cabbage

Drink of the Day - Bourbon Maple Leaf

Wine of the day - Bodegas Palacios Remondo Rioja La Vendimia 2015

Port of the Day - Oslo Norway

At Sea Atlantic
Nieuw Statendam Destination Port Everglades Today

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 3/5
Westerdam Long Beach

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage
Volendam Anchorage
Zaandam Anchorage

0305Tor.thumb.png.286bc9a183ff9f498c86cde828a6f634.png

0305USA.thumb.png.f6393d15c9193cc978c1a62058b9855e.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone.  

What a selection of days to celebrate!  

I didn't think I would ever warm up again.  Our sunny day yesterday turned overcast, the wind picked up and we had snow pellets coming down.  We had driven out to an orchard, parked the car and then walked back into town along the river and had lunch.  After lunch we walked back to the car, about 6 miles round trip.  The trip back to the car wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  We were both dreading it, but found it went much quicker than the walk to town.   I guess because we weren't exploring.   Oh, but it was cold!

I am interested in hearing all about today's drink.  I've seen it as the drink of the day on a Canada/New England itinerary, but never knew what it was.   Also, yesterday's wine sounds like something I'd really like.  

Today's meal has great reviews although it sounds a bit bland to me.  I'd probably want a little more seasoning in it.  But, it is easy to do.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/slow-cooker-kalua-pork-cabbage/

Kalua Pork and Cabbage.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Cold day here!  Interesting mix of days.  I like the quote and the meal is interesting.  Will wait for Debbie's recipe.

Toasts and prayers for all of us.

Maple Leaf Cocktail
Ingredients
2 ounces bourbon
1/2 ounce pure maple syrup
1/2 ounce lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick

Directions
To make the maple leaf cocktail, combine the bourbon, maple syrup, and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with the cinnamon stick.

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 6.38.00 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  A nice collection of days with a special salute to Canadians and Poutine.  I love the quote.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Strawberry Bisque(MDR), Grilled Colorado Lambchops with spiced apple chutney, fresh mint sauce, and Not So Classic Baked Alaska, as served in MS Prinsendam's Pinnacle Grill on March 5, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dishes05.jpg

We were approaching the Equator and the penguins had been replaced by monkeys:

mardimonkey.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH in rehav and facing chemo

RIP Cunnorl’s brother

Cunnorl and family with exposures to Covid

Mamaofami and DH

Alan

New Zealand

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional contributors including Aardvark

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

A cruise for kplady

Jabs for Sharon and lindaler

Welcome home lindaler

This community for 11 ½ months

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good morning to all,

Love poutine since we discovered it!

This picture and video of a Murmuration of Starlings has been 'trending' in Ireland since the image was first published in the Irish Times yesterday.  It is mesmerising...........

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0304/1200943-mesmerising-murmuration-of-starlings-at-lough-ennell/

Have a good day everyone, and stay safe!  Keep those masks on!

image.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Happy Friday!

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion, but I'd love the alternate suggestion of lamb chops, wish we had some.

The drink of the day sounds great to me.  Looking forward to reading about the wine.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Oslo, another place I've never been.  Maybe someday.

Sending prayers for all.

Stay safe.

• Like 18

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 😄 

What a great collection of days.

I think I’ll pass on the meal suggestion and instead celebrate National Poutine Day by making some.  Not sure what we will have with it but as long as I can get the good curd at my little market, Poutine it will be 😉  Once I have more coffee, I’ll figure out the rest 😉 

FA4C50D5-ACFD-4C16-A21B-9C4505D9FDE9.jpeg.76b005bd06ab0e1a32bd7eae528bbddb.jpeg

That’s a great quote and so true!

I might be Canadian but I have to pass on the Bourbon Maple Leaf  - too sweet for me.

Our temps have dropped again and it’s snowing.  😔 Spring can come any time.

When things can really re-open:

90F76AD2-7854-4179-A14D-1DF2EF0C35F6.thumb.jpeg.8fc9eae94c9a42526cec025cbed340fe.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them.  And a big toast with that glass above for everyone on the Celebratory list.

Have a great TGIF everyone!!!  Stay safe and warm and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 26
  • Haha 2

Thank you for packing today’s Daily with a bunch of a days to celebrate, Rich! Where does one begin?

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Joy, keeping Allen in my prayers! @Ichiban Nekko, hope all is well, it has been awhile! @Dismomx5, hope your move went smoothly & you are settling in. It is a chilly 44 here this morning. But the sun is up & will soon warm things up! Hoping to get out in the garden before the rains move in tomorrow. 

@VMax1700thank you for sharing that amazing video!

@dfish, I agree that meal does sound bland!

@summer slope, That drink might be great served hot, too!

@kazu, isn’t that the truth about the home bar!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Today’s Rioja has excellent ratings, and the 2018 vintage has the best rating of all the released vintages! It also has the best price, possibly because you need to wait to drink it. I found the 2015 online for $15.99 and the 2018 for $11.99, The info below is for the 2015 vintage. 

Winemaker Notes

#47 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

Made by famed Spanish winemaker Alvaro Palacios, whose father founded the Palacios Remondo winery, La Vendimiais is a blend of Spain's two original star varieties: Garnacha and Tempranillo. Lively and lucid, this wine has supple aromas of fresh orchard fruit, wild berries and ripe blood oranges. Fruit-forward and round on the palate, the aromas found on the nose are mimicked in the mouth and include additional notes of sweet spice and raspberry jam. Meant to drink now through the next four years, this consumer-friendly wine can be served slightly chilled and is the perfect accompaniment to any dish.

WS90 Wine Spectator: This red shows good density, with black cherry, plum, espresso and black olive flavors mingling over firm tannins and balsamic acidity. Stays balanced and focused through the smoky finish. Drink now through 2027.

• Like 24

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Another great bunch of days to celebrate - I don't have employees, but if I did, I'd certainly appreciate them.  There's a place nearby that makes great poutine - I'll see if DH is interested, we can go over and grab some to share for lunch today.  Speech and debate sounds good to exercise the mind in these strange times - find something to debate and go for it.  I admire salespersons and their great tolerance for difficult customers.  

@dfish I thought with a name like Kalua Pork, it would contain pineapple . . . or maybe Kahlua!

@cat shepard Yes, thank you, my bruises have all disappeared, and I got a great chuckle out of the cartoon.

Nothing big on our agenda today, except that I get to go and pick up one of the 2 pair of glasses I ordered a couple of weeks ago.  Apparently the second pair didn't pass inspection, so had to be re-made.  I'm willing to wait if it means I'm getting good glasses.

@rafinmd I could sail with you anywhere, not just because you're such a great guy, but because of all the lamb you order!!!  I love your alternate meal suggestions because so many of them contain lamb.  As for today's suggestion, I made a crock pot of pulled pork yesterday, so that's going to be on our dinner table again tonight.  And wine.

Memories - 2 years ago today we were in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon City) on a private tour from the port of Phu My where our lovely Maasdam stopped for the day.  We'd love to do that cruise all over again, and hopefully will get the opportunity to do so in the future.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra hugs for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list tonight.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 26

Good morning and good Friday to all my fellow Daily-ites, sisters, and Roy. Denise: how is mama hummingbird and babies? A big thanks to you Rich for bringing the Daily to our computers.

Just made pork filets last night with smashed potatoes and greens. I love Roy's lamb chop suggestion. I would like to try the drink if the day. Considering the other Ingredients it may not be all that sweet..

Today I have a lunch date at a new to me place called Marisols with our neighborhood ladies, so I'm making Allen his Southern fare for him tonight.

I got some fun flowers and plants at the nursery yesterday. Several items on my list will be in next week. It will still be at least another week that our back yard will be dusty and messy. Claudio is making me some steel planters not yet installed. I'm getting too anxious. I was told not to start planting annuals and herbs til April. I've been inspired by all of Kazu's ideas and pictures!

Prayers and Cheers!

• Like 22

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Good morning to all,

Love poutine since we discovered it!

This picture and video of a Murmuration of Starlings has been 'trending' in Ireland since the image was first published in the Irish Times yesterday.  It is mesmerising...........

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0304/1200943-mesmerising-murmuration-of-starlings-at-lough-ennell/

Have a good day everyone, and stay safe!  Keep those masks on!

image.jpg

Thanks for sharing the tape. It was interesting.   Hope your dear wife is doing well.  God Bless you and yours.

• Like 6

Good morning!  What a collection of days to celebrate!  That will keep us all busy.

Every day we can now look forward to our port of the day and the memories it brings back to us.  Today's port of Oslo is a good one.  We saw it twice on the Emerald Princess in 2011 on back to back cruises.  Then twice on Prinsendam in 2016 and 2017.  So much to see there!  On our early visit we walked from the ship to Vigeland Sculpture park.  Everyone should see that.  On one of our visits we walked to the Opera House and walked on the sloping roof.  On another visit we walked to 5 Sophies Gate to find Harry Hole's apartment in the Jo Nesbo books.  Apparently a lot of people do this because on one corner a local saw us and pointed the correct direction to head, without even asking us for sure what we were looking for.  DH is a big fan of the Jo Nesbo books.

You dock next to the Akershus Fortress so it has to be one of the best places to dock in all our cruises.  Here it is:

enhance

It's right across the street from your ship.  Amazing!

The Oslo Opera House.enhance

On the roof.enhance

Vigeland Sculpture parkenhance

5 Sophies Gate, Harry Hole's apartment in the books by Jo Nesbo enhance

They even put his name on the doorbell ringer.  enhance

I had another photo I wanted to share with you but I can't find it.  It's in one of the cruise photo books I make, so it has to be here somewhere.  If I find it I will share later.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, All --

Thanks to Rich, Roy, the drink and recipe ladies and everyone else who contributes.  @VMax1700 - that is an amazing video!

We were in  Oslo only once (August 4, 2006) while on our Baltic cruise.

1068293611_BalticCruise1109.thumb.jpg.b8a3d9bcf1759b68c37d40e7e86078aa.jpg751308028_BalticCruise1112.thumb.jpg.947dfdaccaf6f80bc8d2fb8da70febaf.jpg751308028_BalticCruise1112.thumb.jpg.947dfdaccaf6f80bc8d2fb8da70febaf.jpg

Discovered poutine prior to our Canada & Colonia America cruise in October, 2013.  Mentioned to DH that today is National Poutine Day so will be making some for lunch ☺️.

IMG_0003.thumb.jpg.f8c88289fc872276742441fe593a2545.jpgIMG_0004.thumb.jpg.ba6996669f60443fedef6b42ac3ff48c.jpg

• Like 25

Ah, found it.  It hadn't been uploaded to Shutterfly where I store photos I use in my photo books.  

This little dog was waiting outside this bakery for his owner.  Right on the door is a sticker saying no dogs allowed.  I hope his owner brought him out a treat for being so patient.  Cute!enhance

• Like 27

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Ah, found it.  It hadn't been uploaded to Shutterfly where I store photos I use in my photo books.  

This little dog was waiting outside this bakery for his owner.  Right on the door is a sticker saying no dogs allowed.  I hope his owner brought him out a treat for being so patient.  Cute!enhance

Aww, adorable 🤩

I have a similar photo taken in Copenhagen in 2019.  Sure hope this guy's owner also brought him a treat!DSCF3853.thumb.jpg.8c0fbe35932427c446873139322732d3.jpg

• Like 28

2 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Aww, adorable 🤩

I have a similar photo taken in Copenhagen in 2019.  Sure hope this guy's owner also brought him a treat!DSCF3853.thumb.jpg.8c0fbe35932427c446873139322732d3.jpg

Good one!  He's sure got his eyes on that window full of treats.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1