If You Could Change Just One Thing?

Lady Arwen

On 3/6/2021 at 12:53 PM, Vic The Parrot said:

Lower the volume !! 🤬🤯 

It's not really necessary for MUTS and the ships musicians to raise the sound level to 10,000 decibels. 

I know who do they think they are CCL or NCL.   Especially near the customer services desk so we dont not have to speak above noise.

• Like 2

I’d want them to buff up their training of their crew because the service has been inconsistent the last few years. It used to be consistently amazing, and there are still many wonderful crewmembers on board, but some of the new ones just don’t provide the same level of service.

On 3/15/2021 at 5:44 AM, Roberto256 said:

With over 200 replies, it doesn't seem like changing "1 thing" is going to help very much...

Consider that one agreement on this thread is that Princess should enforce policy on chair hogs in the theater and pool decks. If we've found one change where everyone agrees, that's saying a lot!  

There are limits to what we do, at home, in society or on a cruise ship. Maybe tacitly so, but limits make us feel safe and that there is order. By keeping standards and limits onboard, they are improving the experience for everyone. In that sense, it helps.

• Like 2

Judging by the number in the lower corner of post #43 it seems that a fair number of folks agree on a change regarding hats worn in the dining rooms...

====================================================================

=

=image.png.768d221a389e4290074db0d615889d23.png

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, beach_fever_4ever said:

The libraries have become pitiful. Hardly any books, other than the ones fellow passengers leave. We  still read books and not the Kindles. Then we leave them for others to enjoy. Stock the existing libraries with some newer books would be nice. The best ship library was on the Pacific Princess when we sailed on her in 2013.

We don't sail on the Royal class ships. Are you implying they do not have libraries ?

The Royal had the worst Library that I have ever seen on a Princess ship.  There was one shelf with about 10 books on it.  A whole lot of games (with no place to play them) Puzzles with no place to do them and, not enough room to move around in the room.  That is if you could even find the area that they CALL the library.

I am a book person and I really miss the library that they had on the Pacific Princess.  Now, that was a library that had shelves and shelves of books and where you could sit and read and relax in a wonderful comfortable chair and look out the windows and see the ocean.  Great lighting and quiet area made it the best place on the ship for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Judging by the number in the lower corner of post #43 it seems...

I didn't want to make my point using any reference to dress code because you know how it sets some folks off. Thanks Thrak, agree and always enjoy your posts.  

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Judging by the number in the lower corner of post #43 it seems that a fair number of folks agree on a change regarding hats worn in the dining rooms...

====================================================================

=

=image.png.768d221a389e4290074db0d615889d23.png

I agree...

But I think maybe an exception could be for New Years cruises since the men receive a top hat and the ladies a tiara!! It really is fun and festive seeing most everyone donning a cardboard chapeaux, even if it is during dinner on a formal night!

Edited by gotta cruise again
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

The Royal had the worst Library that I have ever seen on a Princess ship.  There was one shelf with about 10 books on it.  A whole lot of games (with no place to play them) Puzzles with no place to do them and, not enough room to move around in the room.  That is if you could even find the area that they CALL the library.

I am a book person and I really miss the library that they had on the Pacific Princess.  Now, that was a library that had shelves and shelves of books and where you could sit and read and relax in a wonderful comfortable chair and look out the windows and see the ocean.  Great lighting and quiet area made it the best place on the ship for me.

You're right that the so-called libraries on Princess (and on HAL, too, for that matter) are pitiful---an embarrassment really. But there are still some very good ones out there. All three Cunard ships have beautifully-appointed libraries of between 7,000 and 10,000 books, and the Queen Mary 2 has a full-time professional librarian (maybe the other Cunard ships do, too, but I haven't been on them yet). Oceania---at least on their two largest ships---have 2,000 volume libraries, with lots of comfortable leather chairs. A booklover still has some options---for now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, beach_fever_4ever said:

The libraries have become pitiful. Hardly any books, other than the ones fellow passengers leave. We  still read books and not the Kindles. Then we leave them for others to enjoy. Stock the existing libraries with some newer books would be nice. The best ship library was on the Pacific Princess when we sailed on her in 2013.

We don't sail on the Royal class ships. Are you implying they do not have libraries ?

I'm a combination of paper and e-reader, depending on the situation. I prefer my e-reader at bedtime or for travel as I can read in low light. Most of the rest of the time, I prefer a real book. I keep one in my locker to read at lunch, and usually one or two at home (in addition to the one I read at bedtime). As long as they're all different genres, I'm OK.

One of my favorite past-times on a cruise is reading on the balcony. It's simply too bright for my e-reader, plus it drains the battery. Even books left by previous passengers are welcome, and I'll leave mine too.

Side note: anybody do the Princess book club? I read the book one time before I got on board, and found they had changed it. 🙄 Seems they couldn't get enough copies beforehand. They're still listing books on the website.

On 3/8/2021 at 11:53 AM, Cruise Raider said:

I, too, have a sensitivity / sometimes up to a full blown allergy to strong scents.  

Dove for sensitive skin is also a winner.  I used to use Ivory but the Dove (the one for sensitive skin) doesn't have any scent and seems to not dry out my skin as much.  I buy it in bulk at Costco.  I always take my own bar soap with me on any trips, including cruises.  

I agree ... no more perfume allowed!!  I know it will never happen, because they sell it right onboard ($$$), but that would be my wish!!!  

I like perfume, but I wear just enough for my husband to appreciate and not enough for the entire room to notice!

• Thanks 2

On the point of Libraries.....   for us whom are older... books,, what are these strange screens..lol....

It is like the old adage, if you went to somebody place and there was not a book in sight... it was a bit of a shock.....

Have grown up with books, dad had a library complete with rolling ladder along the wall of books.....   So we read books, no batteries required...  on Cruises we pack books, knowing that the ship board library is dismal.

It is the way the world is heading, everything is for convenience, and you must had it quickly.....      each to their own.. but one likes the older ways,  where there is time to stop and smell the roses ....

Don 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

Not all disabilities are visible.  How would you enforce that?

The elevator is usually an issue because of mobility scooters/walkers and folks with canes. They need more room. It is true that there might be someone with a heart condition that prohibits stair climbing so enforcing would be difficult. One elevator for scooters etc would be good  though. Won't happen!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

The elevator is usually an issue because of mobility scooters/walkers and folks with canes. They need more room. It is true that there might be someone with a heart condition that prohibits stair climbing so enforcing would be difficult. One elevator for scooters etc would be good  though. Won't happen!!

Leads back to my earlier comment that Princess just added decks and not additional elevators in the Royal class. One thought would be to use the Medallion. A proximity sensor in a handicapped only elevator panel senses someone with an enabling code programmed into their Medallion, like newer cars only need the fob inside the car to start the engine.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Leads back to my earlier comment that Princess just added decks and not additional elevators in the Royal class. One thought would be to use the Medallion. A proximity sensor in a handicapped only elevator panel senses someone with an enabling code programmed into their Medallion, like newer cars only need the fob inside the car to start the engine.

Great idea!

On 3/16/2021 at 5:42 PM, CRUISEWITHH said:

Libraries don't bring in revenue and as technology advances libraries are becoming extinct on all cruise lines. 20yrs from now I doubt we will see printed newspapers. We still sell them in the store I work for but everyday I throw them out at the end of the day. Nobody seems to buy them or magazines.

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Libraries don't bring in revenue and as technology advances libraries are becoming extinct on all cruise lines. 20yrs from now I doubt we will see printed newspapers. We still sell them in the store I work for but everyday I throw them out at the end of the day. Nobody seems to buy them or magazines.

It's a bit sad but that's how things are these days. We take the local paper electronically. It's much cheaper and we can both read it at the same time. There is also no waste paper to deal with. I rarely read a "real" book anymore. When I do I get frustrated because I want to long-press on something to get a definition or pronunciation or something of that sort. I may want to look back to see who the heck this person is who was referenced early in the book and has just resurfaced in a reference much later in the book. I generally have between 10 - 20 books on my tablet at all times. Sometimes I get on a roll with some series I discover and read a book a day for a week or two. I can't carry all those books around with me in a hard copy format. I also put the books on my phone so I can move to that platform if my tablet is low on power or I'm somewhere without my tablet but want to read. Waiting in a doctor's office or sitting in the Princess theater waiting for the production show to start come to mind. I also find it convenient to not need a light source in order to read.

When I was younger I always frequented the library. These days, not so much. I do use smile.amazon.com rather than simply amazon.com and have designated the local library as my charity and we belong to the local Friends of the Library and donate funds but I've really become a fan of electronic media.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I would like a little extra seating in the atrium but not sure how they can do it.  If you are not one of the first to get there you have to stand.  Even I C and the bars get filled up.

Good idea..... but have seen people there camped most of day.....   what can you do, nothing....

It has been suggested that the people with windowless cabins setup shop in public areas for the whole day.......   

Would be interested to hear if this happen on ships will the minimum cabin being a balcony

9 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

Can't take the Kindle into the bathtub ;-).

They sell waterproof cases. You can even read while floating in a pool. If you drop a book it will take days to dry out and the pages will warp.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Made it through almost all posts and didn’t see my suggestion...

We love the promenade that goes around the entire ship (especially the Coral).  I’m fine with the proms that require you to go up a flight of stairs because they still go around the entire ship.  The Royal class ships just have the walking path on the sports deck.  Would love to see the full prom make a come back.

I do have a question based on one of the comments about bringing wine on board.  Can you no longer bring a bottle of wine per person to enjoy in your room without paying a corkage fee?  I’ll admit, we have had the drink package on our last few cruises so didn’t bring any wine with us.

• Like 1