If You Could Change Just One Thing?

Lady Arwen

10 hours ago, leavesofapple said:

Interesting. The open dressing area was one of the best things in the stateroom on my one Princess cruise (Royal P), the thing we often

mention we would like to see on other cruise ships. 

I’m a super fan.  I love the size and proximity of the clothing to the washroom.  In fact probably my favourite part of the stateroom.  I remember one RCCL cruise where we each had a chair to lay our clothes out on because the closet was small and ineffective.  NCL has tiny hanging areas too.  I’d have to sit on the bed to pick out my clothes

• Like 3

18 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And by not enforcing their rules in order to not offend the passenger breaking the rules, they offended you. I hope you reported the name of the employee to customer service. Just as employees who have done extra to make your cruise enjoyable should be mentioned to management so they can be recognized, ones who do the opposite like this one should also be cited by name so that management can train them how to react properly. And hopefully management would want them to do the proper thing in the incident you described.

we did report him and had to fill out an incident report. We were interviewed by two officers and it took a lot of time but I doubt anything changed. At least we got compensation for our discomfort. We never have seen that movie!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

I really don’t like chair hogs.  one thing I always do when I have to get up and leave my chair. I ask my wife to stay on it until I get back. See photo 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

1DA18EC0-4186-4355-8031-8279D323A0C9.jpeg

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO in trouble if she reads that!😉 I gotta hand it to that chair hog however, at least he/she has a sense of humor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

To answer your question dress code threads are created only to push one's own agenda.

Anyone who has sailed before anytime dining was introduced knows that the dress codes were followed to the letter.  30 yrs ago...The entire evenings atmosphere on formal night diminished. 

That was a rhetorical question in response to a post from Steelers36.

You remind me of my first cruise in the '70's.

I would add, the decline in popularity of formal night was accelerated by the airlines.  A tux and dress shoes take up a lot of space in luggage and people these days try to get by with a carry-on. Times change.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

I would add, the decline in popularity of formal night was accelerated by the airlines.  A tux and dress shoes take up a lot of space in luggage and people these days try to get by with a carry-on. Times change.

In the old days, lol, we sailed most frequently with the new kid on the block, Celebrity.  There were always two formal nights, two semi formal, and the rest were elegant casual.  This was on 7 night cruises.  My husband packed a tux, a dinner jacket and a sports jacket along with all the appropriate shirts and ties.  We took two large suitcases, one large garment bag and two carryons.  It was quite the challenge getting through airports, but at least we weren’t charged for bags.  Now that we’re 25 years older and you have to pay for luggage, we could never do that again. 

Now, we each take one medium suitcase and one backpack each.   My DH takes a nice jacket, two dress shirts and two dressy pants.  The rest is casual.  We dress nicely for dinner, but in no way is it formal attire.  We don’t really care how others dress, but we draw the line at ripped jeans, shorts and baseball caps in the MDR at dinner.  I suppose that’s being judgemental, too,  but I guess we all have certain expectations.

Edited by Lady Arwen
Spell
  • Like 5

From a post  on page 2 or 3 of this thread - "Let us bring wine on board without surcharge for drinking in cabin." 

This would work great if people actually only drank that wine in their cabin but to this day people still talk on this board about how they bring wine on or sneak other alcohol on and pour their drinks in the cabin and then go out and about with those drinks so they don't have to buy them on board.

Princess used to have one of the most liberal policies in the cruise industry regarding bringing wine on board without charging an additional fee and only charged corkage fees when you took a bottle into the dining room to consume with dinner.  However, people/passengers ruined that by pouring their glass(es) of wine in the cabin and taking it to the dining room or bar and never paying corkage fees or buying drinks and just basically scamming the system.

I have in the past witnessed people get up from the dining table, take their two wine glasses, go back to their cabin, pour another glassful, and then return to the dining room/table and continue with their next course.  I'll probably get flamed for this but - tacky, tacky, tacky!!  

Princess is a business first and foremost.  They are not our friend or buddy and have no obligation to "cut us a break".  

• Like 13

On 3/6/2021 at 12:13 PM, Thrak said:

Nope. Won't work. I use plain old Ivory soap. One time I kept trying to find the odor in my house and tracked it down to my bathroom. Under the cupboard was a new, unwrapped package, if wrapped soap. My wife had accidentally purchased Ivory with Aloe. I'm serious about the problem with scents. I don't know just when it started but I didn't have an issue when I was younger. I think it was sometime around age 50 or so that something changed.

I, too, have a sensitivity / sometimes up to a full blown allergy to strong scents.  

Dove for sensitive skin is also a winner.  I used to use Ivory but the Dove (the one for sensitive skin) doesn't have any scent and seems to not dry out my skin as much.  I buy it in bulk at Costco.  I always take my own bar soap with me on any trips, including cruises.  

I agree ... no more perfume allowed!!  I know it will never happen, because they sell it right onboard ($$$), but that would be my wish!!!  

• Like 1

I would be ecstatic to cruise right now with everything exactly has it had been in the past.

In order to make Princess even better, I would suggest the following enhancements. 

1.  Find a way to effectively deal with chair hogs.

2.  Either have larger theaters or three main shows a night.  Seating is often a significant problem.

3.  Do away with formal dress nights.  I do not want to do away with a dress code, just the formal dress nights.  
4.  Bring back the French Polynesia cruises that have been finally eliminated with the departure of the Pacific Princess.  We may not be able to enjoy Bora Bora with the larger repositioning cruises/ships.  Many of our Princess cruises have been in this region.  

Just  to be cruising, I can continue to live without the enhancements.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

We may not be able to enjoy Bora Bora with the larger repositioning cruises/ships.

We visited Bora Bora on Emerald Princess. No problem.

• Like 3

Just now, Thrak said:

We visited Bora Bora on Emerald Princess. No problem.

Yes, we did.  I have also visited there on the Celebrity Solstice as well.   But Bora Bora is considering restrictions on the number of passengers allowed each day, because the larger ships over run the island.  I suspect the impact of Covid on the tourism, they might be rethinking the proposed new regulations.  
We have enjoyed several B2B cruises on the Princess R ships around the FP and a repositioning to or from Hawaii to Tahiti.  

11 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

We are past the dressing up for formal night novelty. Airlines aside we figure the money we save not buying or renting formal attire we can well afford to eat in the specialty restaurants for 2 nights.  We haven't been on Princess for a while mostly due to itinerary and timing. We didn't dress up for formal night on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity and still enjoyed formal nights in the MDR. We would feel out of place on Princess if we didn't follow the suggested dress code for formal nights.

• Like 1

I wouldn't change formal nights.  I enjoy wearing a tux for formal nights and DW enjoys wearing formal attire on transatlantic cruises.  Otherwise, I wear a suit on formal nights for short trips of out of California.  Personally I am unfazed by what our tablemates wear to the MDR.  We prefer traditional dining, large tables and appreciate the personalities, stories, and dining experience. 

• Like 7

On 3/6/2021 at 9:10 AM, Lady Arwen said:

We all love the Princess product, but tell us about the one thing you would change about your cruise experience.  Food?  Cabins?  Service?  Decor?  You tell us!  Play nice, everyone, there are no wrong opinions.

I’ll go first.  Please, Princess, get rid of the plastic shower curtains and install glass doors, instead.  Thank you.

Yeah! Just love those wet curtains sticking to your keister! For me, I'd have to say the food was quite a disappointment on the Hawaiian trip last year. For those of us staying in the Club Class & suites level, I feel the food should & can be much better. The Ultimate Balcony dinner we had, rivaled ANY cruise we have had. We were on the Star, which really needed some TLC. The staff & their service is, in my opinion among the best we've seen on any line. I could be wrong, but a Regal Princess trip we did a few years back had very good food overall & a fantastic buffet. The best we've ever seen. Perhaps the Royal class ships get better perks.?

On 3/8/2021 at 4:11 PM, jagoffee said:

I would be ecstatic to cruise right now with everything exactly has it had been in the past.

In order to make Princess even better, I would suggest the following enhancements. 

1.  Find a way to effectively deal with chair hogs.

2.  Either have larger theaters or three main shows a night.  Seating is often a significant problem.

3.  Do away with formal dress nights.  I do not want to do away with a dress code, just the formal dress nights.  
4.  Bring back the French Polynesia cruises that have been finally eliminated with the departure of the Pacific Princess.  We may not be able to enjoy Bora Bora with the larger repositioning cruises/ships.  Many of our Princess cruises have been in this region.  

Just  to be cruising, I can continue to live without the enhancements.

1) Staff cracked down on them Last Jan. on our Hawaii trip

2) Yes, theaters are surprisingly small, even on Royal class ships. 3 shows might be tough on the performers, though.

3) Keep the codes as is! Let those who like to dress up do so. Everyone else have a "decent" smart casual dress. Torn jeans/shorts & T shirts at dinner just look rather poor choice(dinner only)

4) Not familiar with this so I yield to your call on that.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 7:19 PM, Jasperdo said:

Personally, I would like to see more "real" tables for two in the MDR. My wife and I prefer to have a quiet dinner, and not have to engage in conversation with strangers. Most of the tables for two on Princess are a joke. Some are literally three inches from another table for two. It's impossible to have a nice private conversation with just your spouse. I realize many people enjoy a large table and getting to know their table mates. But there are plenty of introverts such as ourselves who are very uncomfortable in that situation. 

We found Club Class eliminates that. I never like being privy to someone's private conversation.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 1:05 PM, Potstech said:

Stop requiring room linked Drink package and specials being required of all people in a cabin. It can be done on an individual basis.

Enforce no seat saving in the theaters.

Put the so called formal night to rest and call it something else that is not connected to a " dress request".  

Enforce standards in the dining rooms for the evening meals.

1) Yes

2) Big yes!! Can't stand cousins to chair hogs, either.

3) Still like formal nights, but most we do is a sport coat or nice shirt & Tie.

4) Not sure what you mean by standards. If you mean dress standards, if it's NO shorts at dinner, I'm fine. Breakfast & lunch, dress as you please(obviously with some sense of reason)

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 10:10 AM, Lady Arwen said:

We all love the Princess product, but tell us about the one thing you would change about your cruise experience.  Food?  Cabins?  Service?  Decor?  You tell us!  Play nice, everyone, there are no wrong opinions.

I’ll go first.  Please, Princess, get rid of the plastic shower curtains and install glass doors, instead.  Thank you.

hmmm, I find myself really trying to come up with something. I suppose that's a good thing. I'll say more cruises to San Juan and St Maarten.

• Like 1

If you could change one thing........

Well to be totally honest.. a totally firm date ( set in concrete ) to start cruising again...

Yes I know Princess it not in control of this... things can stay the same....

and after reading all the posts.... i am looking forward to getting back on board...

even with formal night, chair hogs, and people saving seats...

Don

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

If you could change one thing........

Well to be totally honest.. a totally firm date ( set in concrete ) to start cruising again...

Yes I know Princess it not in control of this... things can stay the same....

and after reading all the posts.... i am looking forward to getting back on board...

even with formal night, chair hogs, and people saving seats...

Don

I agree......I just want to be sitting on my balcony with my glass of wine listening to the waves......sigh

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I agree......I just want to be sitting on my balcony with my glass of wine listening to the waves......sigh

Totally..... ( and lunch on the balcony on a port day ).

I miss our morning walks before breakfast  up on the top deck... looking out over the ocean... watching the sun rise....... a few time hanging on tight due to 60 knt winds.

it made you feel alive..........

Hopefully again one day

• Like 2