If You Could Change Just One Thing?

Lady Arwen

16 minutes ago, AZ Ocean Lover said:

I do have a question based on one of the comments about bringing wine on board.  Can you no longer bring a bottle of wine per person to enjoy in your room without paying a corkage fee?

So far you can still do that.

On 3/17/2021 at 5:54 PM, getting older slowly said:

On the point of Libraries.....   for us whom are older... books,, what are these strange screens..lol....

It is like the old adage, if you went to somebody place and there was not a book in sight... it was a bit of a shock.....

Have grown up with books, dad had a library complete with rolling ladder along the wall of books.....   So we read books, no batteries required...  on Cruises we pack books, knowing that the ship board library is dismal.

It is the way the world is heading, everything is for convenience, and you must had it quickly.....      each to their own.. but one likes the older ways,  where there is time to stop and smell the roses ....

Don 

I find that modern technology has allowed me more time to smell the roses. Everything is electronic. I don't have to go to the bank, grocery store or department store. Now as a result of covid people don't even have to go to the office to work or to the Doctor for a follow up visit. My mother is immobile and the cardiologist can motor her heart rate and blood pressure electronically.  I know my parents didn't have time to smell the roses when they were raising us. My mother got her first dishwasher in the early 90's. By then she really didn't need it because the family was grown and they ate out most of the time. Holidays were spent at my house so they weren't even entertaining much.

On 3/20/2021 at 5:31 AM, Iamcruzin said:

Libraries don't bring in revenue and as technology advances libraries are becoming extinct on all cruise lines. 20yrs from now I doubt we will see printed newspapers. We still sell them in the store I work for but everyday I throw them out at the end of the day. Nobody seems to buy them or magazines.

I just gave up my print newspaper for the first time in my 75 years--I just wasn't reading it much anymore.  I feel bad about it, but I can read our local newspaper online for 1/3 the price and not waste so much paper.

I love to read real books, but have gotten very fond of my Kindle too, especially when our local library was closed because of Covid.

Ship libraries are in a sad state compared to earlier days.  I don't see them getting better, only worse.  I still usually visit them, but finding anything worthwhile is becoming rare.  Shelves are very empty; I hope it is because lots of books are checked out, but ?

I for one would love to see them eliminate reservations for the Anytime Dining Room. Too many times I've seen empty tables that were "reserved" just sitting there empty for a half an hour or more while a line of people are waiting outside in the "unreserved" line. 

Edited by andio2of5
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, andio2of5 said:

I for one would love to see them eliminate reservations for the Anytime Dining Room. Too many times I've seen empty tables that were "reserved" just sitting there empty for a half an hour or more while a line of people are waiting outside in the "unreserved" line. 

I agree....Anytime should be just that..with no reservations !

• Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 8:04 PM, Iamcruzin said:

Those Princess showers with the touchy feely shower curtain are made for Hobbits and Munchkins . 

I thought the showers were small to keep one upright...

During rough weather, or after too many cocktails / birthdays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2021 at 10:22 PM, Nebr.cruiser said:

I just gave up my print newspaper for the first time in my 75 years

That means that my parents are the only ones still getting it delivered to the house. What I have noticed is that the papers are very thin. Not as many circulars or advertisements delivered with the paper anymore. The sales are all delivered via email now. I must get 4 or 5 a day from Macy's and Kohl's. Now the supermarket circular is available on line and you can download manufacturer coupons to your loyalty shopper card.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

That means that my parents are the only ones still getting it delivered to the house. What I have noticed is that the papers are very thin. Not as many circulars or advertisements delivered with the paper anymore. The sales are all delivered via email now. I must get 4 or 5 a day from Macy's and Kohl's. Now the supermarket circular is available on line and you can download manufacturer coupons to your loyalty shopper card.

I grew up in a family that had 2 newspapers delivered daily - one from the close 'big city' in the morning and the local in the afternoon ... about 3-4 years ago we stopped taking the paper ( even then it was just the Thur and Sunday ... like you stated above - smaller and smaller with all the sales online

don't miss it at all, now

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Nope, I still have the newspaper delivered every morning.

Eight or nine years ago Mrs. XBGuy's brother and sister convinced her that her life was incomplete because she didn't have an iPad.  She cracked and I accompanied her to Best Buy to get her one.  We were assisted by two sales reps--one from Best Buy and one from Verizon.  My wife spoke, mostly, with the Best Buy guy, and I spoke, mostly, with the Verizon guy.  While I spent 40 years in the tech industry, I am not, particularly, fascinated by tech. I like reading the paper every morning in the coffee shop and doing the crossword puzzle and Kenken--in ink.  The guy I was talking with tried to overcome my objection with, "Well  most coffee shops offer free wi-fi. and, so, you can read anything your want and have access to on-line puzzles."

"Yeah, " I responded, "My coffee shop buddy, who brings his iPad every morning tells me the same thing, but, y'know, there is still one thing that the iPad can't do."

His eyes widened.  He was going to overcome any objection this cranky old guy would have, "What's that?"

"Where do I wipe the bacon grease off my hands?"

The look of disappointment on his face was hilarious.  It was like all the air in him came leaking out.  "I've never heard that complaint, before."

He had nothing.

I have told that story on internet boards in the past, and once somebody came back with "use a napkin."  Well, this guy could not come up with that.

And, Mrs. XBGuy loves her iPad.

Oh, and we both have iPhones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

LOL...... you give the architect/interior designer too much credit. 

I was being upbeat...

We once had drinks with a princess corporate trainer on some cruise.

Most people ask you "how's your cruise going?"

He asked: "What's been the best thing about your cruise, so far?"

If you ask a general question, you simply invite complaints.

It you ask the leading question, you get more upbeat answers.

So, no way was the shower small to squeeze more cabins onto the ship.

Just, no way!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

I was being upbeat...

We once had drinks with a princess corporate trainer on some cruise.

Most people ask you "how's your cruise going?"

He asked: "What's been the best thing about your cruise, so far?"

If you ask a general question, you simply invite complaints.

It you ask the leading question, you get more upbeat answers.

So, no way was the shower small to squeeze more cabins onto the ship.

Just, no way!!!

Very good, so simple but so easy to miss.  Thank you.  From now on I will look for a way to make sure a simple question can be reworded to be more positive.  His point is very well taken, but what a sad state of affairs that that is the way it is.

14 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I had given up our 'big city' (Omaha) paper years ago but was still getting out 'small city' paper, which is actually a very good paper; I just found I wasn't reading it any more, or just bits of it.  Now I read what i want online instead.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Nope. One of my neighbors gets the paper delivered every morning. He reads it and then takes it across the street for another neighbor to read. They split the cost. Oddly, the only thing we do miss with the digital edition is the Sunday ads. Now you are telling me they aren't there anymore in the printed edition.

17 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Oddly, the only thing we do miss with the digital edition is the Sunday ads. Now you are telling me they aren't there anymore in the printed edition.

Here on Long Island circular ads are delivered by mail. I guess they have figured out that less and less people get a newspaper delivery. I just toss them without looking through because we shop mostly online now. We were using Peapod a supermarket service that delivered to the house for over 20yrs. It was great when the kids were small because we didn't have to drag them out and fight over cookies and snacks. We gave that up during covid because there were too many out of stock items. Then we started using the meal plans like Home Chef because we were able to get what we ordered. Now we do curbside pick up by placing the orders online. All of the sales and coupons are available through the site. Covid has made us lazy in terms of shopping. We don't want to bother going through the process of shopping in store and then waiting on line, when all we have to do is order and pick it up curbside. It isn't a fear of getting covid it's pure laziness. When we are really lazy we use doordash.  I hope these services remain after the pandemic ends.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

Here on Long Island circular ads are delivered by mail. I guess they have figured out that less and less people get a newspaper delivery. I just toss them without looking through because we shop mostly online now

They toss a worthless Wednesday thing in everybody's driveway with stupid crap that is duplicated from the digital paper. Nothing worthwhile. Nobody seems to be able to find a way to make them stop throwing this litter and wasted paper all over every Wednesday. The newspaper says they aren't responsible and can't make it stop. I has none of the "good" ads we used to get in the paper every Sunday. It only has the total drek we don't want. I sincerely wish I could get them to stop tossing this stuff in my driveway every Wednesday. It just goes straight into the recycling bin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

They toss a worthless Wednesday thing in everybody's driveway with stupid crap that is duplicated from the digital paper. Nothing worthwhile. Nobody seems to be able to find a way to make them stop throwing this litter and wasted paper all over every Wednesday. The newspaper says they aren't responsible and can't make it stop. I has none of the "good" ads we used to get in the paper every Sunday. It only has the total drek we don't want. I sincerely wish I could get them to stop tossing this stuff in my driveway every Wednesday. It just goes straight into the recycling bin.

Ours comes on Wednesday too. It must be a national event.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

Ours comes on Wednesday too. It must be a national event.

There "should be" a way to stop the thing. It goes into the landfill. It ends up in the gutter and on the street. I truly believe that a vast majority of the people receiving the thing don't want to have it dumped on their property. I wrote to the local newspaper and they said it's not them circulating the garbage. I'm a bit suspicious of that because there aren't all that many printing places available. I just want them (whoever "they" are) to stop throwing this litter on my driveway every week. I want to stop the flood of garbage going directly to the landfill. (Yes, I put mine in the recycle bin but very little of that stuff actually ends up recycled and many just toss it into the regular trash can.)

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 9:19 AM, Iamcruzin said:

That means that my parents are the only ones still getting it delivered to the house. 

Nope. I still get one. . .for now. I've gotten this one for over 30 years, but it had rapidly declined in the last couple of years. The evening deadline must be at 4pm because they don't cover sports that end at 8pm (unless it's basketball). They stopped Saturday delivery and didn't lower cost. But the kicker was the last reduction of comics--over 2/3 removed, including my favorite) and replaced with mostly unfamiliar series. Again, no reduction in price. Plus, the carrier changed and the paper comes hours after I go to work which theoretically makes it an afternoon paper. I used to use the comics and crossword to time my morning schedule. The latest change is automatic renewal.

I'd rather read my paper and do the crosswords and other puzzles (in ink) than read it on a computer that I may or may not get to in the evenings after work. My phone is too small for reading and I don't like crossword apps--they're not as satisfying.

• Like 2