The Daily for Sunday Mar 07, 2021

richwmn

Today is Namesake Day, National Cereal Day, and National Crown Roast of Pork Day

What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't even happened yet. -- Anne Frank

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken Enchilada Bake

Drink of the Day - Tropa Mango Mojito

Wine of the day - Robert Mondavi Winery District Fume Blanc - California - White

Port of the Day - Tolanaro Madagascar

At Sea Pacific
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX eta 3/11

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Westerdam Anchorage

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage
Volendam Anchorage
Zaandam Anchorage

0307World.thumb.png.8b3020f914b88295326a63291b982d82.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Interesting combination of days. I’ll let DH do the celebrating for cereal day 😉 

Absolutely love the inspirational quote and optimism by Anne Frank, especially when you think about her circumstances at the time.

Chicken is being cooked tonight so the meal suggestion fits in well.

That Mojito sounds interesting - looking forward to the description as well as the wine - WHITE - YAY 😁 

Looking forward to hearing about Madagascar - sounds like an intriguing port.

A little twist on Namesake Day:

EFB03E5B-5202-4722-99C1-EDD92C9C2F89.jpeg.55fa795e617bffc5954563acd4f00050.jpeg

And speaking passwords and dogs:

EF8EF0BD-FD95-4AFF-8D08-D8201C54E877.jpeg.07f854d93704e6ce5b1aec612da06caa.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list!

Have a great Sunday everyone.  Stay safe and warm and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 34
  • Haha 1

Good Sunday morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

A nice collection of days.

Wonderful quote by Anne Frank.  Such an intelligent person she was.

Thanks for the meal suggestion, but I found a beef roast in the freezer that needs to be cooked.  So it's going in the crock pot with potatoes and carrots for our dinner.  But, chicken enchiladas sound like a good suggestion for another night.

Looking forward to reading about the Port of the Day.

Thanks @kazufor the doggie memes.  Love them!

Sending prayers to heal our world.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  Would love to visit Madagascar sometime.  A great selection of days and what a great spirit Anne Frank had.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup, Broiled New York Striploin, and Raspberry and Almond Tart as served on MS Prinsendam March 7, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dishes07.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH in rehab and facing chemo

RIP Cunnorl’s brother

Cunnorl and family with exposures to Covid

Mamaofami and DH

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome Aboard Jadn13

Occasional contributors including Cruisepucks

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

StLouisCruisers visit with DS

Cruising-along visit from Grandsons

A Nieuw Statendam Sailaway

This community for 11 ½ months

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thank you for the updates.  

Comfort and Peace to all with hardships and thanks to those who keep us warm, safe and healthy.  

No hike today, it is a day of rest.  

• Like 20

Good morning, everyone.  

Anne Frank really hits it home today.  One of her other quotes, where she says she believes that most people are good, sticks in my mind as well.   If she could be optimistic, so can I.  

@Mary229I'm following your lead with a day of rest today.   I do need to run out to the grocery store.  Otherwise, I wouldn't even get dressed.  

It does seem strange to have chicken enchiladas on a the day to celebrate crown roast of pork.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-enchilada-bake/

easy-chicken-enchilada-casserole-2.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Yum, crown roast of pork.  I make it occasionally but when feeding only two it’s a lot.  The leftovers I slice into chops and freeze, when we want one I heat it in a frying pan and it’s still yummy.  Anyway, happy Sunday!

• Like 23

The top of the morning DAILYITES.  Rich thanks for the fleet report.  It was good to see the Nieuw Statendam docked at Pier 2 in Port Everglades.  It would be even nicer to be on her.  Prayers for those on Roy's prayer list. Roy, I like your meal alternative.  My best to all on this first Sunday of March. I do look forward to learning more od the drink of the day.

• Like 15

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!  Interesting combo of days. I am someone’s namesake, and I have a namesake.  I will celebrate that today! I haven’t had cereal in decades. And somehow, as much as I love crown roast of pork, I do not believe I will be celebrating it today.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! When do you for for your scan? Or did I miss that somehow?  Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! It is a spectacular, but windy morning here in the neighborhood!  Large groups of migratory birds heading North! Spring is around the corner.  My Meyer lemon tree has  hundreds of blossoms! It is just amazing. 

Anne Frank’s words are so poignant. They help remind me how very fortunate I am.

Not sure about the meal or the drink. Madagascar sounds so exotic, hope someone has visited. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

This Fume Blanc has excellent ratings and an amazingly low price point. I know I have had this and enjoyed it - it might have been on my 2019 Circle Hawaii HAL cruise. Lots of online distributors with prices starting at $14.99. You just might find it for a lower price!

Winemaker Notes

Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc soared to white wine royalty with the introduction of our Fumé Blanc, and we continue to produce the best expression of Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc with this wine. Refreshing lime blossom and grapefruit citrus with green apple, juicy peach, fresh melon, and a hint of jasmine.

Blend: 87% Sauvignon Blanc and 13% Sémillon

WS91 Wine Spectator: Lime sherbet, peach and dried mango flavors are succulent and intense, with details of dried ginger, green tea, lemon zest and tangerine. Powerful, refreshing and focused through the finish. Drink now.

JS91 James Suckling: This has a fresh nose of grapefruit zest, passion fruit, flint and subtle herbs. It’s medium-bodied with crisp acidity. Delicate and creamy fruit with a precise finish. Drink now.

• Like 24

Today's sunrise is the last from my 2016 Crystal Symphony Antarctic cruise that began with a pair of Cunard transatlantics.  On March 7 Amtrak's Silver Meteor was in Northern Virginia approaching Washington DC.

dawn0307.jpg

Roy

• Like 32

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I will happily celebrate Cereal Day; DH can have his leftover pizza from last night.  I wasn't named after anyone, and would love if I had a crown roast of pork to cook.

Anne Frank was certainly a girl ahead of her years, I just wonder what she would have accomplished, had she lived.  We haven't been to Madagascar, but would love to be able to some day.

@dfish I'd like to try the recipe, but the picture looks like it may contain tomato sauce instead of green chili sauce that the recipe calls for.  I think I'd sub in the tomato sauce for ours.

DH seems to have gone on an organizational kick - first he organized everything downstairs in his workshop, now he's working on our computer room / sewing supply room, and I can't find a darn thing!  When he finally stops and goes to play the guitar, I wander into the room and have to peek into every basket, tray, or shelf to see what's there.  I know he's just trying to help and keep himself busy, but . . .    I comfort myself with the fact that soon it will be spring and he can go out into the garage which doubles as his mad scientist's workshop, and can tinker with things out there.  LOL

Since I don't have a rotisserie chicken available to make today's recipe, I'm going to put together a simple chicken/rice casserole for tonight's dinner.  It's an all in one pan meal that is quick and easy, and when accompanied by a side salad, makes a nice plate.  And wine.  Speaking of wine, DH found this one yesterday and thought it applied to me . . . 

50-reduce-the-wine-funny-cartoon - PMSLweb | Cartoon jokes, Wine jokes, Wine  humor

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra hugs for Roy.  Raising the wine glass to toast all on the happy list tonight.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Haha 2

Oh my, what a great visit with our DS!  He left 15 minutes ago for his 11 hour drive to Michigan.  I gave him such a big hug goodbye.  I'm looking forward to going to see our DD sometime soon.  We haven't seen her (in person) since Christmas 2019.  😥

I heard on the news earlier that in addition to being National Cereal Day it is National Flapjack Day, so you can take your pick.  The Chicken Enchilada Bake sounds delicious but we usually have beef enchiladas.  I'll have to consult with my chef.  We have leftover chicken from the grill last night.

I have not been to Madagascar yet, thanks to delays in the Grand Africa cruises lately, but I am scheduled to go to " Andoany (Hell-Ville), Nosy-Be, Madagascar" on Nov. 16, 2022 on HAL's Grand Africa.  I wonder if that port and today's port of the day are anywhere near each other?  I hope someone on the Daily can tell us about it and show us some photos. 

• Like 26

Good Morning --

Thanks for the daily and all who contribute.  

Hoping someone will post information/pictures of Madagascar.  We were looking forward to being in Nosy Be on 3/23/20, but was not to "be" 🙃

• Like 17

Good morning all!

Namesake Day-my grandmother’s name was Irene (no middle name). My mom was Dorothy Irene, I’m Sally Irene, my oldest daughter is Jennifer Irene. BTW, my grandma would have loved all the meal suggestions here. She was a professional cook and her family Sunday dinners were legendary.

@rafinmdI’m convinced that if we ever cruised together, we would order the exact same dinner every night. I love your choices. My perfect HAL meal would be chilled fruit soup, steak and a fruit crisp.

I got to visit Amsterdam, but did not get to see the Anne Frank house although we did see the Jewish neighborhood. I remember when we read “The Diary of Anne Frank” in school we acted out some of the scenes and I played Mrs. Van Daan. (Can’t believe I remember that almost 60 years later). 

I have never been to Madagascar, looking forward to hearing from those who have. So far Grand Cayman has been my only port. I’ve traveled a lot, but have missed Greenland and Norway and Egypt. 

Today’s meal, drink and wine sound good. The wine description had nothing strange until Suckling had to mention flint! 

I will get ready for church in a little while. By get ready I mean curl up on the couch with coffee and my dog while I watch livestream. Since I have my second shot I have considered going back in person (my church has met in person since last June with safety protocols), but I still did not feel safe, especially after my pastor came down with Covid recently.

Have a wonderful, restful Sunday everyone. Prayers to all on the care list and happy celebrations to those on our happy list!

St Louis Sal

• Like 27

Since this is Crown Road of Pork day, I decided to find a recipe out there.  There are so many  to choose from and many variations.  I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/crown-roast-of-pork-with-onion-and-bread-crumb-stuffing-233258

This one uses an Italian rub on it, heavy on the garlic, just the way I like it.  

https://www.mygourmetconnection.com/garlic-herb-crusted-crown-roast-pork/

The Crown roast is actually made of two racks, so if it is too much for you, just get one rack.  You  can prepare it the same way and adjust the cooking time.

Crown Roast of Pork 2.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

To answer a question from yesterday as to why the  Moscow Mule drink is served in a copper mug. Copper is a superior thermal conductor, so copper mugs respond to the temperature of what is inside, keeping it chilled or warm depending on the beverage. When containing a Moscow mule, copper mugs become cool, creating a chilling sensation when sipped.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Love cereal, sometimes have it for dinner.  Never had a Crown Roast of Pork.  And I'm not named from anyone.  Anne Frank was a very smart girl, such a shame.  The meals both sound good.  Love your memes Kazu.  Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Tropa Mango Mojito as served on Half Moon Cay:

Frozen Tropa-Mango Mojito

Yield: 1 cocktail

Ingredients:
1-2 sprig fresh mint
2 oz Cruzan Guava rum
3 oz Dish D’Lish Lemon & Lime Sour Cocktailor
1 oz Monin Mojito Syrup
1/2 oz Monin Mango Puree

Garnish: dried or fresh mango and mint sprig

Glass: pint glass

Instructions:
Drop mint into blender cup.
Measure rum, Dish D’Lish Lemon & Lime Sour Cocktailor and syrup directly into blender.
Fill pint glass to the top with ice and pour into blender
Blend until smooth
Pour into pint glass
Garnish with a fresh mint sprig and mango

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 9.10.24 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh my, what a great visit with our DS!  He left 15 minutes ago for his 11 hour drive to Michigan.  I gave him such a big hug goodbye.  I'm looking forward to going to see our DD sometime soon.  We haven't seen her (in person) since Christmas 2019.  😥

I heard on the news earlier that in addition to being National Cereal Day it is National Flapjack Day, so you can take your pick.  The Chicken Enchilada Bake sounds delicious but we usually have beef enchiladas.  I'll have to consult with my chef.  We have leftover chicken from the grill last night.

I have not been to Madagascar yet, thanks to delays in the Grand Africa cruises lately, but I am scheduled to go to " Andoany (Hell-Ville), Nosy-Be, Madagascar" on Nov. 16, 2022 on HAL's Grand Africa.  I wonder if that port and today's port of the day are anywhere near each other?  I hope someone on the Daily can tell us about it and show us some photos. 

St Louis, I shed a tear for you for seeing your DS and for missing your DD. Just remember Anne's entry.. "What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't even happened yet. -- Anne Frank"

• Like 19

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

St Louis, I shed a tear for you for seeing your DS and for missing your DD. Just remember Anne's entry.. "What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't even happened yet. -- Anne Frank"

Thank you Joy.  I shed tears as he left today but I'm happy that we are all working at getting vaccinated and hopefully everyone will be able to see their loved ones whenever they want, just like it was before all this.  We probably didn't appreciate our freedoms before we had this health crisis.

• Like 18

Good morning Fellow Daily-ites, precious sisters, Roy and all contributors! Such a blessing to have all of you on our Daily today.

Rich, a special thank you for the work you put into our Daily. I love each and every one of the things you post.

I am not a cereal lover and do not like milk, but my sweet husband has Cheerios and a banana about twice a week. The dinners sound great and I may like Cat's wine of the day. 

So last night was a whole lot of fun. Our neighborhood had a Block Party. Starting off with 12 chili making contestants, everyone was able to try a 2 oz cup of various chili. Our favorite won 1st prize. Then we walked across the street to our cul de sac and had brisket, chicken, salads and desserts. There was western music, line dancing.. a bunch of fun. We celebrated Texas Independence (although it was actually on the 2nd..)

Thankfully, no one surprised us by showing up to cut more stone this morning. The flagstone has been set but needs fill. The walls are nearly complete but can't finish til the fire pit parts show up, and the steel planters will be finished and installed hopefully by weeks end. Almost there!

Prayers and Cheers!

• Like 20