Discovery Princess @ Fincantieri, Monfalcone Italy

need2cruisesoon

Excited to see her develop, but I'm also excited to be done with the Royal-class phase. I know the new orders have already been made for the next vessels to come online, but I'm really hoping Carnival develops an actually innovative and mindful concept for Princess that doesn't indulge on the many flaws that plague most new ships today. But I'm not holding my breath. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

Excited to see her develop, but I'm also excited to be done with the Royal-class phase. I know the new orders have already been made for the next vessels to come online, but I'm really hoping Carnival develops an actually innovative and mindful concept for Princess that doesn't indulge on the many flaws that plague most new ships today. But I'm not holding my breath. 

Interested in your topic.  Could you be a little more specific?  Thanks

Judy from SW Florida

18 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

4 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

Interested in your topic.  Could you be a little more specific?  Thanks

Judy from SW Florida

Not snoozecrooze but, some well-known flaws in the Royal-class are:

• Balconies ridiculously narrow.
  • Soot on aft balconies.
  • Initial builds without mid-ship stairs going all the way up to Lido deck.
  • Venues that don't work, i.e. the original Princess Live and that god-awful Club 6 (now Take 5 on newer builds).

3 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Not snoozecrooze but, some well-known flaws in the Royal-class are:

• Balconies ridiculously narrow.
  • Soot on aft balconies.
  • Initial builds without mid-ship stairs going all the way up to Lido deck.
  • Venues that don't work, i.e. the original Princess Live and that god-awful Club 6 (now Take 5 on newer builds).

• Wrap-around promenade deck

5 hours ago, c-boy said:

whoa there skippy !  being a musician,   I happen to like the jazz venue. 

Oh sorry! I shouldn't have been so vague. The music is great but the space is awkward and horror of all horrors, they try to use it for Bingo! 🤣

And BTW, how did you know my grandfather from Scotland used to call me Skippy?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Oh sorry! I shouldn't have been so vague. The music is great but the space is awkward and horror of all horrors, they try to use it for Bingo! 🤣

And BTW, how did you know my grandfather from Scotland used to call me Skippy?

I read it on your FaceBook page 🤣

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Fixed and retro-fitted.

Yes that's true but the question pertained to problems with initial builds. So yes, mid-ship stairs were definitely a problem with the Royal as evidenced by Princess eventually correcting the situation.

To make matters worse, IIRC, the Grand Princess had the same or similar problem with the mid-ship stairs when she first sailed. Somebody didn't learn from a past mistake and, to me anyway, that's a pretty clear indication there will again be new-build problems with the next class of ship coming down the line and, some of those problems may be repeats!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Yes that's true but the question pertained to problems with initial builds. So yes, mid-ship stairs were definitely a problem with the Royal as evidenced by Princess eventually correcting the situation.

To make matters worse, IIRC, the Grand Princess had the same or similar problem with the mid-ship stairs when she first sailed. Somebody didn't learn from a past mistake and, to me anyway, that's a pretty clear indication there will again be new-build problems with the next class of ship coming down the line and, some of those problems may be repeats!

On the Royal the stairs were there from the start but were not finished to look nice for passenger use in order to save money during construction. Thus they were crew-only stairs for several years until they were modified for passenger use.

On the Grand, the stairs are also there, but from deck 7 to the Lido deck are reserved for crew use only. Still true today.

16 hours ago, caribill said:

On the Royal the stairs were there from the start but were not finished to look nice for passenger use in order to save money during construction. Thus they were crew-only stairs for several years until they were modified for passenger use.

On the Grand, the stairs are also there, but from deck 7 to the Lido deck are reserved for crew use only. Still true today.

I attended a pre- center stairway talk on the Royal by one of the corporation's architects. One of the main complaints was lack of a center stairway. His initial response was that no one used the stairs plus the millions it would cost to convert them. A challenge to him was that the cost of converting the stairs was probably less than the amount of negative social media comments about the ship. He stated we could be right. Of course, we were, and the stairs were renovated. The customers were also correct regarding Princess Live, lack of Crooner's on the Sky, no aft pool on the Royal as well as other design issues in royal class designs. I think it's probably as right as they can get it on the Enchanted and Discovery.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, skynight said:

I attended a pre- center stairway talk on the Royal by one of the corporation's architects. One of the main complaints was lack of a center stairway. His initial response was that no one used the stairs plus the millions it would cost to convert them. A challenge to him was that the cost of converting the stairs was probably less than the amount of negative social media comments about the ship. He stated we could be right. Of course, we were, and the stairs were renovated. The customers were also correct regarding Princess Live, lack of Crooner's on the Sky, no aft pool on the Royal as well as other design issues in royal class designs. I think it's probably as right as they can get it on the Enchanted and Discovery.  

It would be great if they would get customer input on the design of the next generation of ships.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/princess-cruises-build-two-next-generation-lng-cruise

• Like 1