The Daily for Tuesday Mar 16, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

We were in Monte Carlo several years ago.  We enjoyed seeing all the cars in  the Prince's Car Museum.

I visited the car museum, too, believe the prince can order up any of the cars should he choose to drive one. I stumbled across a beautiful open air market, all the produce was so artfully arranged in a way can't seem to match in the USA. Mrs. Whogo went to Eze. We docked in Monte Carlo in November 2009 during a Civitavecchia to Fort Lauderdale transatlantic on the Rotterdam, back when it still had an aft pool and was still in the HAL fleet.

Next song on my iPod's random shuffle: Keep on Running by the Spencer Davis Group.

• Like 19

I remember we had been advised that things were very pricey in Monaco, but we stopped to have a Coke and were charged $12 for 2 of them.  While we were at the sidewalk cafe, there was a fellow from our ship sitting at a nearby table who looked at us and said "I can't believe I just ate a $35 cheeseburger."  LOL  That was in 2004; I wonder what the prices are like now!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 19
  • Haha 5

Good morning everyone from a dreary New Jersey. Yesterday there was a large fire near the VA where DH went for his first shot. It shut down the parkway for hours. It’s hard to believe that there was a threat of brush fires from humidity when it doesn’t feel like any.

Thanks for the daily which I read every day with my coffee and thanks for the care list. Roy, you can take my DH off the care list. Every possible test has come back normal with a diagnosis of nothing . So, we’ll take it.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 21

Here on Ocracoke it is Old Qwark Day, story to follow.....

About 200 years ago there lived on Ocracoke Island a fisherman of indeterminate provenance. He was a reclusive figure, preferring to live in a small hut made of driftwood and bullrushes about 5-6 miles from the village. No one remembers his given name, but folks called him "Old Quawk" because, they said, he "quawked" like an old night heron. Old Quawk was a fisherman, often venturing out into Pamlico Sound in his sail skiff when cautious islanders stayed in port waiting for more propitious weather.

On this date, March 16, many years past, Old Quawk made his last voyage into Pamlico Sound. Storm clouds were piling up in the darkening sky. Legend has it that Old Quawk defiantly disregarded the warnings of other islanders, raised his clenched fist to the heavens and dared the gods to thwart him, then set out in his sail skiff. A frightful gale churned the Sound into a wild turbulence and swamped Old Quawk's tiny craft. Neither Old Quawk nor his boat were ever found.

For many years Ocracoke fishermen refused to go out in their boats on March 16. Even today it's best to be prudent on Old Quawk's Day. There's no telling what the weather gods will dish out on March 16. 
Story courtesy of Philip Howard, rendering courtesy 1959 Newspaper clipping, OPS Museum

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

I am so thankful for this thread.  Dont remember when I actually found it because I was staying off CC because of all the negativity. But not here!!  The stories, the pictures, the menus and the overall feeling of community and support is beyond words. 

The news on my BIL is not good. He was starting to do OK, but now he has been on a respirator and unresponsive since Saturday.  It is too much. The rest of the family all 17 have recovered. Thankfully.

Be Safe 

Charlene

• Like 13
  • Thanks 9

Just now, cunnorl said:

The news on my BIL is not good. He was starting to do OK, but now he has been on a respirator and unresponsive since Saturday.  It is too much. The rest of the family all 17 have recovered. Thankfully.

How sad to hear of your BIL's lack of progress; that's distressing.  We just learned this morning of a friend of ours in Washington state who has been in hospital for the past 2 weeks with covid, and at age 83 has said he doesn't want to be put on a ventilator.  The wait continues to see what happens, as the prognosis isn't good.  Prayers for everyone battling this terrible virus.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

I am so thankful for this thread.  Dont remember when I actually found it because I was staying off CC because of all the negativity. But not here!!  The stories, the pictures, the menus and the overall feeling of community and support is beyond words. 

Be Safe 

Charlene

Charlene I'm sorry to hear about your BIL. We just lost a friend of ours and his MIL a few weeks ago. Prayers going out to you.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

When I saw Curlew Day I immediatley thought of Curlew, WA, and the Ansorge Hotel. the Hotel is situated right beside the railroad tracks and was quite the place back around the turn of the century. Downstairs had a large dining room and dance floor, a sundry shop, and a barber's chair. Upstairs rooms had area and river views. If you are ever in Curlew on a summer weekend when they are open, it is well worth the time to visit. Much of the original furnishings and equipement are still available, including a guest book that was signed by Henry Ford and Harry Truman.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Late to the party today, forgot to charge my computer last night.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your dedication.  Debbie that meal looks delicious.  Will print the recipe for later.  Roy your meal sounds fantastic as well.  We've never been to Europe so all these ports are wonderful to read about.  Would have made it to Monte Carlo in November but cancelled the cruise. 

Like others had to google curlew.  Saw the Giant Panda's in San Diego several years ago.  Such beautiful creatures.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Old Fashioned:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Bourbon or Rye whiskey, 1 Sugar cube, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, Few dashes plain water
Preparation: Place sugar cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with bitters, add a dash of plain water. Muddle until dissolved. Fill the glass with ice cubes and add whiskey. Garnish with orange slice, and a cocktail cherry.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Cocktail cherry, Orange slice

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 10.41.07 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich and a great day for all us Daily-ites. Thanks for bringing us together, especially during these trying times. I know for myself I have had some belly laughs and shed some tears for our group over the past year. I met my sweet sisters here so the Daily has a very special meaning to me.

The guys are continuing to work on the stone and the fire pit this morning. I keep apologizing to our neighbors on each side about the dust. I told them we will have all 3 of our homes windows washed when the project is completed.  And wine. It's the least we can do..

Yesterday we stopped at the EZ Go golf cart store and got our little gem. Added a few things, so she will be ready next week. Going to pack our wine and some treats and head to one of our mini lakes to enjoy the sunset. We always name our vehicles. Any ideas on what to name it? It's an electric blue in color.

Prayers and Cheers,

Joy

• Like 21

55 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I remember we had been advised that things were very pricey in Monaco, but we stopped to have a Coke and were charged $12 for 2 of them.  While we were at the sidewalk cafe, there was a fellow from our ship sitting at a nearby table who looked at us and said "I can't believe I just ate a $35 cheeseburger."  LOL  That was in 2004; I wonder what the prices are like now!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

We stopped in a small cafe for lunch.  A tuna salad roll, 2 glasses of wine and an expresso and it was only....actually can't remember how much it was, but it was good value and not overpriced.  It was a bit like a place local workers went for lunch.

Having said that, Mrs VMax was looking in a couple of Womens Clothing shops......now that was expensive.

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, whogo said:

Next song on my iPod's random shuffle: Keep on Running by the Spencer Davis Group.

Spooky!  Only discovered last night that Spencer Davis died last October 2020, so I have Gimme Some Lovin playing.......

• Like 16

48 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

I am so sorry to hear this.  Keeping you and the family in my thoughts.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Be Safe 

Charlene

I  am  so  sorry  to  hear  this  as  well. Prayers  for  your  family at  this  difficult  time.

I  cried  my  way  though an  article  in  Sunday's  paper about  all the  healthcare  workers  who  have  died.   Terry

• Like 14

24 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Yesterday we stopped at the EZ Go golf cart store and got our little gem. Added a few things, so she will be ready next week. Going to pack our wine and some treats and head to one of our mini lakes to enjoy the sunset. We always name our vehicles. Any ideas on what to name it? It's an electric blue in color.

Prayers and Cheers,

Joy

Grover  -  he's the blue muppet.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

image.jpeg.97992f333d79ae870ccb5f7af2ebad90.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.65b47cf2785480e4c308521d0da7b4b2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.336b3489181bc4984e14991e270a02c2.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING AND HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO OUR DAILY!!

Here we are leaving our place in Nice and heading to Monte Carlo. We sure do enjoy it there. Here is our train entering the train station and we take the #2 bus 

down to the port. We were here in October 2018. Stayed a couple of days and headed to Paris prior to coming home in November.

CURFEW!! Oh I only remember that from my dad waaay .... back when! 😆 

Love the quote! Pass on the dinner and the Old Fashion. Now maybe the wine with a good Italian dinner!!

Have a wonderful day to everyone and to my sisters!

Take Care!

On Hummingbird watch! Little guy flutters his baby wings a lot! He was born on our daughters birthday 3/11 so by the end of March he will fly away! They say they become ADULTS IN ONE MONTH!

Denuse😊

• Like 20

48 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We always name our vehicles. Any ideas on what to name it? It's an electric blue in color.

🌺

Now that will be fun!! Joy I think of Blue eyes for Frank!! We also name our cars! 
Enjoy those sunsets with Allen and wine!

Con grates on your new addition!

❤️Denise 

• Like 9

@cunnorl, so sorry about your BIL, I'll say a prayer for him, what a terrible year this has been.  

Except for the Daily!  A year of making new friends - I just hope to meet up with some of them on cruises.😄  Thanks to Rich, Roy and everyone for making it happen.   

We have been to Monaco a few times, side trips to Nice and Eze (one might say nice and easy...), and a couple of times on our own in Monte Carlo, tendered and docked, and we even found the secret elevator up to the palace (although we did walk up that hill once, too) and visited Jacques Cousteau's aquarium.  But the best I remember was once DD had recommended  we visit St. Paul de Vence from Monaco, so we took a ship's excursion there.  Such a beautiful little village, the ride there is a bit hair-raising, all the hairpin bends on the roads!

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 21

We were in Monte Carlo in April 2018 during our TA/Mediterranean cruise on the Koningsdam. It was a beautiful port (perhaps a bit ostentatious) and we very mush enjoyed our visit. We did a walking tour which included the Castleroc restaurant for lunch. I have a lot of pictures, but I'll only post a few today. For gardeners, the Jardins de Saint-Martin adjacent to the Oceanographic Institute is a must see! 

173922986_DSC_0843(2).thumb.JPG.83222584cbb2d35a275110259c68007e.JPG

Beer on the patio -

DSC_0839.thumb.JPG.9e3b667bebba4cd5e0f4b49a39ed65c0.JPG

From the gardens - 

DSC_0806.thumb.JPG.a9212b3d040856c616492e6954239837.JPG

I need to schedule a return trip to see how my restaurant by the Palace of Justice is doing!

DSC_0823.thumb.JPG.ac951e95db62139943c586952cb9fe67.JPG

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

image.jpeg.97992f333d79ae870ccb5f7af2ebad90.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.65b47cf2785480e4c308521d0da7b4b2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.336b3489181bc4984e14991e270a02c2.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING AND HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO OUR DAILY!!

Here we are leaving our place in Nice and heading to Monte Carlo. We sure do enjoy it there. Here is our train entering the train station and we take the #2 bus 

down to the port. We were here in October 2018. Stayed a couple of days and headed to Paris prior to coming home in November.

CURFEW!! Oh I only remember that from my dad waaay .... back when! 😆 

Love the quote! Pass on the dinner and the Old Fashion. Now maybe the wine with a good Italian dinner!!

Have a wonderful day to everyone and to my sisters!

Take Care!

On Hummingbird watch! Little guy flutters his baby wings a lot! He was born on our daughters birthday 3/11 so by the end of March he will fly away! They say they become ADULTS IN ONE MONTH!

Denuse😊

There's my sweet sister and David! You two are adorable!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Be Safe 

Charlene

I am so very sorry to hear this. This horrible virus will just not give up. I have a friend who has been at home for over 7 weeks with it and still says she feels like H***. She is one with the "long covid". Hope your BIL improves. I know the family is stressed.

Susan

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

We never ate in Monaco but pricing last time was ludicrous from signage I saw.  We always had our lunch, drink or snack during our tours when outside of Monaco and prices were not bad & the food, excellent.  Our guide knew where to go 😉 

7F1FC405-727B-4345-8691-037CE4B4112C.jpeg.5584885ea6f15cfac96e9050f3b34524.jpeg

There are little squares everywhere and some great restaurants.

• Like 22