Princess or Celebrity

seaworthy1

To those who have cruised on both, which would you do if the cost was about the same. Grand Princess 15 nt r/t LA to Hawaii in a mini-suite or Celebrity Eclipse 11 nt Vancouver to Hawaii in Aqua class.  We have sailed Celebrity quite a bit and pretty much know the ins and outs and have never sailed Princess and know next to nothing.

Living in Phoenix, the air fare would be cheaper on the LA r/t.  I know this is one of those "what's your personal preferences" questions, but I'm just looking for experienced opinions. Thanks in advance.

We've cruised with Celebrity and Princess. We sailed on both the Eclipse and Grand Princess (before the shopping cart handle was removed 😉). We like the similarities and differences between Celebrity and Princess. As much as we like longer cruises we  would select the 11 night Celebrity based only on less sea days and more ports. We aren't sea day fans. 

• Like 1

Celebrity hands down...   Better quality product.  Newer ship, more modern design.     World Class Bar.   Better specialty restaurants.  Better food in the MDR.   And based on my last 2 cruises on Princess, much less geriatric than Princess.  

Edited by dns65
Removed restaurant not on Eclipse
  • Like 3

I would actually choose PCL for the R/T and the mini-suite...although if a full suite was available that would be my choice. I've sailed on both PCL & X...would be much more excited if RCI (my preferred cruise line) would do the PCL itinerary :classic_wink:

• Like 1

Never been on Princess but between those two I would recommend the Vancouver one way. We took that on Celebrity a few years ago. Unlike the round trip you can add a post cruise extension in hawaii. That's what we did. Ours was Hawaii to Vancouver and flew out to  Hawaii 5 days early and spent some extra time on the islands. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dns65 said:

Celebrity hands down...   Better quality product.  Newer ship, more modern design.   Lawn Club Grill.  World Class Bar.   Better specialty restaurants.  Better food in the MDR.   And based on my last 2 cruises on Princess, much less geriatric than Princess.  

We like Celebrity a lot better also.  But, unfortunately, Eclipse does not have the Lawn Club Grill. 

I did a Vancouver to Hawaii RT on the Star Princess in 2017 and it literally was the worst cruise I have ever taken out of 89 cruises. The ship was old,old,old. I have a Junior Suite and the couch was worn and sagged and the rest of the furniture was old & scratched. There were scooters and wheelchairs everywhere, the most I have witnessed despite doing many long TP & TA cruises on other cruiselines.

The setup to the buffet is horrid and the food choices are minimal. Princess continues to serve coffee made from coffee concentrate. They are very proud of this but I don't know why because the coffee is awful. At least you can purchase a Coffee Card and get coffee at their specialty cafe. 

The other thing that was strange was the indoor pool area was not heated during the crossing to Hawaii. I spent zero time in there because of this. People that were in there had their winter coats on inside. 

The S Class Ships are so much nicer than the first ship of the Grand Class of Princess. 

I really like both lines, Celebrity is our favorite. We did Celebrity Honolulu to Vancouver and had a great time, BUT.... there really wasn't much of a "Hawaiian" feeling to it, we could have been in the Caribbean. I've been going to Hawaii since I was 3 so we didn't choose this itinerary for the Hawaiian culture, just a West Coast option to enjoy time on Celebrity.

From what I've heard and read, Princess gets into the "Hawaiian feel" more. Speakers, food, entertainment, etc.  Again, I haven't actually done Princess to Hawaii, but if you are looking to learn about and experience the Hawaiian culture, Princess may be your best option. If you just want a beautiful destination on a beautiful ship, then Celebrity fits the bill perfectly!! 

I also think part of your decision is the itinerary since it's so different. If you take the Celebrity cruise are you staying in Honolulu a few more days? IS this the first time to Hawaii? HAve you been to all the Islands? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Never been on Princess but between those two I would recommend the Vancouver one way. We took that on Celebrity a few years ago. Unlike the round trip you can add a post cruise extension in hawaii. That's what we did. Ours was Hawaii to Vancouver and flew out to  Hawaii 5 days early and spent some extra time on the islands. 

I recommend Celebrity too.  In fact we are booked on the Honolulu - Vancouver 2023 sailing.  Your idea of the one way providing time in Hawaii is excellent.  We have a TS in Kauai and we love to go there spend 2 weeks and then sail home.  I always hated getting on the plane to leave Kauai, so cruising home is a much better alternative.

We haven't sailed with Princess since 1999 but we did enjoy it then.

Edited by TeaBag

We have never cruised on Princess, but have cruise friends that have done both Princess and Celebrity.  They give the edge to Celebrity, but not by much.  One thing Princess once had washing and drying machines for doing  your own laundry, which is a plus.

One thing, since Celebrity has gone to price bundling perks with the fare, I see Princess prices are usually better than Celebrity's.  Also, Princess gives you the option of perks.   The no perk prices are really low and the with perks prices are still lower than Celebrity.

We usually cruise X but have cruised Princess.  These days, mostly stay with X because of priority level.  I find both to be very similar experience.  One nice thing on Princess that I like is the laundromat. which is nice when you need it. Other than that, I can't think of any big diff.

Both lines are very similar. Splitting hairs I'd say, but I do like the aqua class rooms better than Princess' mini-suite due to access to the spa on Eclipse. I like the International Cafe on Princess better.  Try the chicken salad! Celebrity food is a tad better in the buffet. Princess food doesn't change there much. We enjoy the atmosphere at the Movies Under the Stars also. Main difference to me would be the 15 days versus the 11....More vacation is the way I would vote!!

2 hours ago, seaworthy1 said:

To those who have cruised on both, which would you do if the cost was about the same. Grand Princess 15 nt r/t LA to Hawaii in a mini-suite or Celebrity Eclipse 11 nt Vancouver to Hawaii in Aqua class.  We have sailed Celebrity quite a bit and pretty much know the ins and outs and have never sailed Princess and know next to nothing.

Living in Phoenix, the air fare would be cheaper on the LA r/t.  I know this is one of those "what's your personal preferences" questions, but I'm just looking for experienced opinions. Thanks in advance.

Okay...this is a tough choice...

First, I am one of those who cruises BOTH brands...We're Elite Plus on Celebrity, Platinum on Princess...

We actually like both lines...but Celebrity a little more.  I think they do most things a little better...but can't really go wrong with either...

The Grand Princess is now one of their older ships--launched 1997...The Eclipse was launched in 2010...I think the Eclipse is a nicer ship...and seems a little more spacious...

The "Mini-Suite" on Princess really doesn't give you much more room than a standard balcony cabin on Celebrity.  All Celebrity cabins have a "sitting area " with sofa...Standard balcony cabins on Princess don't...and, on most of their ships, you have to upgrade to a mini-suite to get that.  We recently had a "Club-Class" mini-suite on Princess...and, with that you get an added benefit of a special area of the dining room where it's easier to get seated and service is a little better...Otherwise, not many benefits to the category on Princess.  With Aqua on Celebrity, youy get a special smaller restaurant...We did that last cruise...Some people love the Blu restaurant, my wife wasn't that sold on it-so we may not do that again...

Were it ME, I might take Princess--due to the four extra nights of cruising and the easier and cheaper air situation...though Celebrity would be good if I wanted to tack on extra days in Hawaii or Vancouver or both...

Both lines, BTW, are now offering "all-inclusive" deals with drink package, gratuities, WiFi...but Princess' deals may disappear tomorrow...We took their deal for our October Majestic Princess cruise...it comes out to an extra $40 pp per day...If you figure gratuities are around $15 per day of that, it leaves $25 per day pp--so, like pre-paying for three cheap drinks...and having them throw in Wifi, a specialty restaurant dinner and all the extra drinks you want beyond the three...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

We have never cruised on Princess, but have cruise friends that have done both Princess and Celebrity.  They give the edge to Celebrity, but not by much.  One thing Princess once had washing and drying machines for doing  your own laundry, which is a plus.

One thing, since Celebrity has gone to price bundling perks with the fare, I see Princess prices are usually better than Celebrity's.  Also, Princess gives you the option of perks.   The no perk prices are really low and the with perks prices are still lower than Celebrity.

I have done Princess, was just OK, overall just not for me.  I love Celebrity, style, ship layout, food, service, and I do agree more pricey and also wish one would allow to "pick your perks" but they don't and I know it, so I just go with it.  

3 hours ago, seaworthy1 said:

If the cost was about the same, we would book early and do the Princess cruise in a club class mini-suite if it wasn't too much more. As far as entertainment goes on sea days, you will not be disappointed on either cruise line.

4 hours ago, seaworthy1 said:

We cruise both X and Princess. Where they're going interests us. Princess has more planned/hosted daytime activities. Princess does a Hawaiian theme on the RT LA. An immersive experience with lectures, Ukulele classes, Hawaiian crafts... If you're considering giving Princess a try, the Hawaii RT LA would be a chance to see them at something they do well.

Edited by mtnesterz

Apples and oranges when comparing a Solstice class with the older Grand class.  Have sailed both and would not get back on anything Princess before the Royal.  Royal and Solstice are comparable and both are great.  Have a T.A schedule on Sky Princess in March and a Med cruise on Reflection in July 2022.  Enjoy both.

I have sailed on solstice, reflection, constellation but only sailed on Sapphire princess. Food is much better on celebrity, shows are much better on celebrity. I wish I would sail with celebrity to Baltic but it is cancelled. I am debating if I should book 14nt Sky princess because it is much cheaper than next year 12nt Silhouette. I am not sure if the new princess ships are better.

Edited by jmhlin

I am elite on both lines, and I choose by itinerary. I would choose the Princess cruise because it is a longer cruise, it will be cheaper re airfare, and it's good to try something new. As the other posters have pointed out, both lines are similar. Although I might do the Celebrity cruise if it meant I was jumping a tier. 

• Like 1

We have cruised both, and there are more similarities than differences. We always get a standard balcony cabin. As a quick summary (you will find a heap of threads on this topic) we find the cabins are slightly better on Celebrity, food much the same, Princess far better for entertainment. Celebrity tend to concentrate most entertainment, other than shows, around the atrium which we find crowded. Princess has far more choice and has it spread out over a number of venues.

We probably have a slight preference for Princess but the itinerary would be our first deciding factor. 

We are Elite+ on Celebrity and Elite on Princess.  And we have done round trip from the west coast to Hawaii on both cruise lines.  And we have sailed on both Grand Princess and Eclipse.  You won't go wrong with either choice.  The buffet food is better on Celebrity.  Dining room food is equal on both.  My only gripe about Grand Princess is the Princess Theater is not large enough and you have to get there AT LEAST 30 minutes early to get a seat.   

8 minutes ago, homedepot124 said:

My only gripe about Grand Princess is the Princess Theater is not large enough and you have to get there AT LEAST 30 minutes early to get a seat.   

You know, that issue has always been my biggest gripe about Princess...Princess actually brings on some pretty good comedians, magicians jugglers, etc. (Though "Production Shows"--the singers/dancers things--are better on Celebrity)...But the biggest problem is access--the show rooms are FAR too small.  I actually looked up all the numbers once and, IIRC, Princess ships' showrooms typically seat around 900 people in ships that carry around 3,000...whereas Celebrity will seat 1,100 in 2,000 passenger ships.  It's why Celebrity always has some empty seats with two seatings (some people don't even go to shows) but, on Princess, it's often a struggle to find seats ANYWHERE even a half an hour before show time.

And, on many cruises, what they try to do is to stagger shows--do a "main" show in the showroom and put a comedian or magician  in a lounge starting around the time the main show ends--forcing people to choose one or the other...but causing even more crowding in that smaller lounge.  We once made the mistake of trying to catch both shows and were lucky to see the magician from a sharp angle, standing in the corner of the room near a service entrance behind other standing people!

OTOH, I wouldn't choose my cruise just on that basis...I just learn to adapt, eat dinner a little earlier...and make sure I get out, sometimes skipping dessert...to go to the show...