Short or Long

Pickels

5 hours ago, cluso said:

The only time we chose a shorter cruise (5 day) was to move up to Elite status.  😎  We drove to and from the port (although it is a LONG drive from the Florida Panhandle to Miami).  But, it was worth it.

We drive from the Panhandle also, shalimar/FWB. People think we are so lucky to be close to the cruise ports living in Fla.....it’s a 9+hr drive. 

den

• Haha 1

Well, I'm planning to live on both sides of this fence in February 2022.  A 4 nighter on Millie with family to burn FCC, then a 12 nighter out of Miami on O Riviera.  We'd been planning to drive, but may now just fly and take an Uber or Super Shuttle between PEV and POM.   I won't ask this thread for thoughts on that.  I'll save it for the FL departure board.

Edited by marieps

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

😁 People who don't live here don't realize how LONG Florida is! 

And wide up north.  I don't think driving from Perdido Key to PEV is any shorter than my drive from ATL.  **EDIT** I just Googled it.  PK to PEV is 7 miles shorter than from my house north of ATL.

Edited by marieps

Much prefer book long cruises. Keep tagging extensions onto an Oceania Transpacific in 2022 and up to 42 nights. Generally my ideal would be 12-14 with a land trip either end..

Have done a short one from Southampton (15 minute Uber) which was nice as surprised some Scottish friends on board. Had a laugh. 

Would be happy doing a Norwegian cruise from Southampton.

I see folk do lots of carib, B2Bs. Our issue would be lots of sea days going back and forth from FLL for a longer holiday. We have no interest in Florida other than a couple of days pre-cruise. Always lots of redemption flights in Business class though.

Celebrity seem to be bent on reducing the length of cruises. Our South American was reduced from 14 to 12 nights and missed stops. We cancelled.

OTOH, many people WISH they had only a nine-hour or less drive to ports with as many departing cruises as you have in Florida.

For me, driving to Miami or Fort Lauderdale or any other port in Florida is COMPLETELY out of the question...

And I'm luckier than all of those people who live in places with ZERO ports in any reasonable driving distance.  I, at least, have the Port of Los Angeles within about an hour drive...but, hey, that's with NO TRAFFIC.  I have to drive from the outskirts of Los Angeles Northwest of the city to the port on the extreme southern side of the city...Anyone who knows LA knows that could take a lot longer than an hour....and it often SEEMS like 9 hours!

Edited by Bruin Steve

39 minutes ago, marieps said:

Well, I'm planning to live on both sides of this fence in February 2022.  A 4 nighter on Millie with family to burn FCC, then a 12 nighter out of Miami on O Riviera.  We'd been planning to drive, but may now just fly and take an Uber or Super Shuttle between PEV and POM.   I won't ask this thread for thoughts on that.  I'll save it for the FL departure board.

OK, I’ll fess up that I have No Life! I had no idea why someone would have to take a shuttle between two airports that didn’t appear to be in South Florida, so I checked the airports. PEV is Perryville airport in Alaska and POM is Jackson airport in New Guinea......ao I think this wasn’t airport abbreviations because I don’t know about Uber, but I’m sure Super Shuttle doesnt have shuttles between New Guinea and Alaska.  Oh well. 

And I haven’t been on a 7N cruise for a long time, every 7N cruises we do B2B’s. OK, have done 7N Euro river cruises, but added days onto them before and after. So I’ll pretend that doesn’t count as only 7N cruises. Going on one in Nov 2021 though. COVID has changed everything, hasn’t it. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

OK, I’ll fess up that I have No Life! I had no idea why someone would have to take a shuttle between two airports that didn’t appear to be in South Florida, so I checked the airports. PEV is Perryville airport in Alaska and POM is Jackson airport in New Guinea......ao I think this wasn’t airport abbreviations because I don’t know about Uber, but I’m sure Super Shuttle doesnt have shuttles between New Guinea and Alaska.  Oh well. 

And I haven’t been on a 7N cruise for a long time, every 7N cruises we do B2B’s. OK, have done 7N Euro river cruises, but added days onto them before and after. So I’ll pretend that doesn’t count as only 7N cruises. Going on one in Nov 2021 though. COVID has changed everything, hasn’t it. 

Den

Lol, Denny, loved the airport codes scenario!

PEV = Port Everglades

POM = Port of Miami

I would have said 9 nights would be our shortest, 16n our max because of work commitments (we live off the west coast of Canada so travel is flying and takes a day to most ports).

However, friends found a 3 night Princess cruise from Vancouver to LA for $135 each. 6 of us jumped on the deal, had a fun cruise down on a line we hadn't been on before (only sailed Celebrity previously). At the end of the cruise we booked 3 nights in Hermosa Beach and met up with 2 couples we had met on a previous Celebrity Caribbean cruise. 

A great time was had by all, and we have since done a 4n out of Vancouver to meet up with out Californian friends.

It's fun docking in Victoria, our home town, and pretending we are tourists.

For us, with such long and expensive travel to the port (overnight stay, foood, etc), finding short local cruises gives us the chance to try a cruise line before we plunk down the money for the travel cost and maybe a disappointing longer cruise.

Short cruises can be great test cruises.☺️

Cheers, h.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, middlehaitch said:

However, friends found a 3 night Princess cruise from Vancouver to LA for $135 each. 6 of us jumped on the deal, had a fun cruise down on a line we hadn't been on before (only sailed Celebrity previously).

We actually took one of those 3-night Vancouver to LA cruises on Emerald Princess back in April 2019...

It was originally supposed to be a 7-night cruise--which would have been a whole lot better--but Princess readjusted their dry dock schedule and had to shorten it to three...Of course, they lost a lot of bookings and had to refill the ship on short notice...so the prices plunged toward the end after the adjustment.  We took advantage and traded up to a Club-Class Mini Suite for some unreal price.

It worked out well for us--Our daughters both live in Portland, so we booked air a few nights early to PDX, then hopped on a really short flight Monday (IIRC) morning to Vancouver...and cruised home back to LA!   That was a whole lot more enjoyable than hopping on a plane at PDX and flying home.  We do wish, though, that it would have remained a 7-nighter and had made some port stops on the way home...  We keep an eye out for more of those.  Of course, those types of cruises don't turn into "party boats"...That would be the weekend 3-nighter on Carnival out of Long Beach.  And they are not worth the airfare if you're not combining it with a visit on one end or the other.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Denny01 said:

OK, I’ll fess up that I have No Life! I had no idea why someone would have to take a shuttle between two airports that didn’t appear to be in South Florida, so I checked the airports. PEV is Perryville airport in Alaska and POM is Jackson airport in New Guinea.....

I was confused also, thinking airports.  Port Everglades and Port of Miami.  🤪

Edited by cluso