The Daily for Monday Apr 26, 2021

richwmn

16 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

@1ANGELCAT Maybe you are a connoisseur of pretzels, being from the Pretzel Capital of the World. Can you recommend a good pretzel? I think of pretzels as a marketing tool for selling more beverages.

There’s a company called Unique that’s really good.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good evening everyone. As it is Hug an Australian Day, I will give my DH a special big hug. And I wish I could  return a hug to everyone who contributes to the Daily. Each evening, about this time I read Rich and Roy’s    lists and then go to bed. The following morning there are pages of replies for me to read over breakfast. It is a great way to start the day. 
We have been to New Zealand several times but never to Picton. The photos are beautiful. There is a travel bubble open between Australia and New Zealand at the moment, but we are not brave enough to leave the country in case we get there and the borders close again. DH is even reluctant to leave the state. Stay well, everyone. 

• Like 22

Good  morning  to  all.  A  very  Happy  Birthday  to  you  Debbie @dfish. the  earth  move" Enjoy  your  meal  out  tonight too!

I  am  seeing  an  old  friend tomorrow  who  is  Australian  and  we  plan  to  eat  outdoors. We  are  both  vaccinated so  I  will  be  happy  to  hug. Pretzels  are  usually  too salty  for  me but  I  do  like  he  looks  of  the  recipe today.

We  were  living in  a  small  Hudson  River  town  in  the  eighties  and  experienced a 6.0 scale  earthquake. The  fault  line  was 3  miles  from  our  home. I  had  never  felt  "the  earth  move", at  least  like  that  and  tried  to  shake  DH  awake without   yelling while  the  room  was  shaking.  Our  cat  and  dog  at  the  time were  quite  worried  but  the  children  never  woke  up. They  called  it "Mom's  earthquake"  for  days  until  we  discovered  a  large  crack  in  the  foundation that  needed  fixing.  There  have  been  smaller  ones  since  but  at  least  I  recognize what  it  is.

Terry

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all and thank you to all of the contributors . Since we are booked on the Rotterdam Premier Cruise from Trieste to Amsterdam we are keeping an eye on her . 

She was very good busy yesterday at the sea trials here some manoeuvres  that she made , I don't think the bar was open .............

936984060_ScreenShot2021-04-26at12_54_43AM.thumb.png.e4379184d39d0c02e0a7a597161a293e.png

Is this something for you @Seasick Sailor ? 

Today up until now she is taking it  much easier and making long loops .

Wonder if they are going to show a video of all of yesterdays moves ?  I'll keep watching 

Take Care everybody and Stay Save , the sooner we can cruise again ! 

Tony 😄

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 9.49.20 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Good morning all and thank you to all of the contributors . Since we are booked on the Rotterdam Premier Cruise from Trieste to Amsterdam we are keeping an eye on her . 

She was very good busy yesterday at the sea trials here some manoeuvres  that she made , I don't think the bar was open .............

936984060_ScreenShot2021-04-26at12_54_43AM.thumb.png.e4379184d39d0c02e0a7a597161a293e.png

Is this something for you @Seasick Sailor ? 

Today up until now she is taking it  much easier and making long loops .

Wonder if they are going to show a video of all of yesterdays moves ?  I'll keep watching 

Take Care everybody and Stay Save , the sooner we can cruise again ! 

Tony 😄

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 9.49.20 AM.png

Thanks Tony! Yes, that map definitely makes me feel seasick!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Oh  boy. I just  re  read my  poorly  typed post. I  am  never  sure  of  how  I  do  this  but    things  end  up  where  they  do  not  belong.

I  will  re  wish Debbie  a  Happy  Birthday  without  my  stray  words. Sorry

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We'll send virtual hugs via email to our friends in Australia, I enjoy pretzels with wine at the end of a day on a BHB, and we've experienced a 6.0 in our hotel on our first visit to our DS in Japan.  It went on for about 30 seconds and was like being on a v-e-r-y rocky cruise ship.

Yesterday was a wonderful day to celebrate DH's 80th birthday.  Thank you for all of your good wishes - I read every one of them to him, as he's not on CC, and he was grateful for all of your replies.  The day began with breakfast in bed for him (complete with a candle in his muffin), and when he got up he discovered the Lawn Letters that sprouted up overnight proclaiming his birthday for all to see.  

The morning held lots of telephone conversations and emails coming in for his birthday, and at lunch, his DD arrived with a fruit and cheese plate complete with dips, breads, nuts, etc.  It made for a great lunch!  The afternoon saw the arrival of our not-quite-adopted daughter - a Chinese student who lived with us for 4 years during her university stay - and with her, she brought huge balloons depicting his age and 2 which were a champagne bottle and flute.

Dinner arrived, again, courtesy his DD - who is well known as the family's BEST cook - consisting of "Dad's favourite ribs", creamy dilled potatoes and asparagus.  The meal ended with a delicious lemon/blueberry cake provided by his sister.  After dinner though, was when the real fun began - I'd arranged for a surprise birthday drive-by, and precisely at 5:30 I got him outside on the pretense of taking another photo of him and the lawn sign, when there was a cacophony of noise coming down the street - led by his DS in his monster truck - followed by about 40 cars all decorated with streamers, balloons and signs, horns honking loudly.  Other neighbours stood on their adjacent driveways banging pots & pans, clanging cowbells and blowing whistles.   Was he surprised?  Oh yeah ! ! !  It was awesome!   A great way to ring in a new decade, I thought.  Yesterday someone requested a pic of the lawn letters - here they are:

1091220585_LawnLetters.jpg.56a69459349ca159b871b17d11f5d987.jpg

Suffice to say, there is so much food in the house, I won't be cooking today, so will tuck the menu suggestion away for another day.  It'll be the rib dinner leftovers for tonight, I'm sure.  And wine.

@dfish a very Happy Birthday to you!

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs! 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 33

Good morning.  The sun is trying to break through the clouds and we expect to get to about 84F today.  Our winds are back, but at least they will make it cooler when I mow the yard later.

@daisybertie A big virtual hug to you.  I think I will check in with my Australian friends today.

The Richter Scale is useful.  We never had earthquakes in Texas until they started fracking, and now the county north of us has had quite a lot the last few years.  In Quartzsite, we have felt earthquakes that were centered in Mexico south of El Centro.  The biggest earthquake we’ve felt was the Northridge quake in 1994.  We were in Las Vegas, and the elevators in the hotel rattling woke DH up.  I slept through the quake and after shock, but when DH turned on the tv, that woke me up .

DH is the pretzel lover in the family.  I too find them too salty.

We’ve never been to Picton.  The south island and the rest of the north island are on my bucket list.

@dfish  🎈🥂🎂  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  🎂🎁🎈  Debbie, enjoy your day and your dinner out.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon everyone.

Again thanks to all contributors and 'les patrons' Ralph and Roy.

Interesting watching Rotterdam doing 'burnouts' yesterday..... one minute she is stopped, then she is at 10 knots and then stopped again.

Looking forward to Saturday's sail in and sail away on Nieuw Statendam.  

Happy birthday @dfish  and also belated birthday wishes to @ger_77's DH.

Isn't today the day that the latest issue of Seth Wayne's 'Ramping up Rotterdam' is on FB?

Stay safe everyone, we will be sailing soon (you might all have to come to Europe!!)

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We'll send virtual hugs via email to our friends in Australia, I enjoy pretzels with wine at the end of a day on a BHB, and we've experienced a 6.0 in our hotel on our first visit to our DS in Japan.  It went on for about 30 seconds and was like being on a v-e-r-y rocky cruise ship.

Yesterday was a wonderful day to celebrate DH's 80th birthday.  Thank you for all of your good wishes - I read every one of them to him, as he's not on CC, and he was grateful for all of your replies.  The day began with breakfast in bed for him (complete with a candle in his muffin), and when he got up he discovered the Lawn Letters that sprouted up overnight proclaiming his birthday for all to see.  

The morning held lots of telephone conversations and emails coming in for his birthday, and at lunch, his DD arrived with a fruit and cheese plate complete with dips, breads, nuts, etc.  It made for a great lunch!  The afternoon saw the arrival of our not-quite-adopted daughter - a Chinese student who lived with us for 4 years during her university stay - and with her, she brought huge balloons depicting his age and 2 which were a champagne bottle and flute.

Dinner arrived, again, courtesy his DD - who is well known as the family's BEST cook - consisting of "Dad's favourite ribs", creamy dilled potatoes and asparagus.  The meal ended with a delicious lemon/blueberry cake provided by his sister.  After dinner though, was when the real fun began - I'd arranged for a surprise birthday drive-by, and precisely at 5:30 I got him outside on the pretense of taking another photo of him and the lawn sign, when there was a cacophony of noise coming down the street - led by his DS in his monster truck - followed by about 40 cars all decorated with streamers, balloons and signs, horns honking loudly.  Other neighbours stood on their adjacent driveways banging pots & pans, clanging cowbells and blowing whistles.   Was he surprised?  Oh yeah ! ! !  It was awesome!   A great way to ring in a new decade, I thought.  Yesterday someone requested a pic of the lawn letters - here they are:

Suffice to say, there is so much food in the house, I won't be cooking today, so will tuck the menu suggestion away for another day.  It'll be the rib dinner leftovers for tonight, I'm sure.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs! 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thanks for posting the picture.  It sounds like he had a great day, and the drive by celebration was the icing on the cake.  🎂

Lenda

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

That sounds like an awesome birthday to me!  I especially love the parade of vehicles wishing him well.  That's gotten much more common since we've been distancing ourselves.  He must have felt great seeing everyone wishing him happy birthday.  Thanks for updating us all.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Hug an Australian day is a fitting followup to ANZAC Day.  I enjoy pretzels occasionally.  While the Richter scale is useful, I prefer not to have to invoke it.  Durocher was a Character.  I loved Picton, but have only been there on Crystal.  The Pasta sounds nice.  My alternative for April 26 is Chilled Indian Lassi Soup, Fresh Greens with Pear and Brie, Turf from Surf and Turf, and Carrot Cake, my final Gala dinner on MS Amsterdam from 2014.

A long celebration list today.  I will put a PE appearance of Nieuw Statendam on it later this week when the list is a bit shorter.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

Indonesian sub crew lost

India

NextOne DH in hospital

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Congrats Nomad Land

Welcome back Heartgrove and Gator65

Positive development on Kakalina

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Las Vegas getaway for Sharon

Welcome home Sr Louis Sal and Lindaler

Dfish and StLouisCruiser 5000 posts

Rotterdam sea trials confirmed

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy: Thank You for the care and shout out list.  Leo "the lip" manager the CUBS, he made them a contender but he failed to make them a winner.  RE: Surf and Turf---  I love the turf but shell fish don't agree with me. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Happy Monday.  Wish I could hug an Australian.  Love Pretzels and the Richter Scale is interesting.  Enjoy the quote.  The meal sounds really good.  And excited to see the Rotterdam on the list finally.  Makes our cruise in January so much more possible.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Ginger Pear Snap Cocktail:

Ingredients

• 2 ounces Hangar One Spiced Pear Vodka
  • ½ ounce Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur
  • ½ ounce lemon juice
  • ¼ ounce fresh ginger
  • Sprig of rosemary
  • Dash rhubarb bitters
  • 3 ounces Sparkling Pear Juice*
  • Gingerbread spice for rimming glass
  • Garnish: dehydrated pear chip, pear slice and/or rosemary sprig

Instructions

• Rim a Collins or Highball glass with gingerbread spice.
  • In a shaker mix vodka, ginger liqueur, lemon juice, fresh ginger, and rosemary with ice. Shake vigorously.
  • Fill glass with ice, strain shaker into glass, top with bitters and pear soda. Garnish with dehydrated pear chip, pear slice and/or rosemary sprig.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 7.10.21 AM.png

It looks nice.  I never tried it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Here's a slightly different recipe you found for us on December 1:

1 1/2 ounces vodka
1 ounce ginger liqueur, such as Domaine de Canton
1 ounce fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon agave syrup
1/4 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
Pinch ground cinnamon
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch grated nutmeg
Ice
Cinnamon stick, for garnish

Shake all together the vodka, ginger liqueur, lemon juice, agave syrup, grated ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in an ice-filled cocktail shaker. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a cinnamon stick.

The sparkling pear juice certainly makes today's recipe a bit less potent.

I like the idea of pear juice!

• Like 3

Rich:  Thanks for the DAILY Fleet Report.  Thanks to all who posted on this thread.  We are supposed to have a pleasant day in Naperville.  I am off to see my diabibetes doctor today and my cardiologist tomorrow. 

• Like 5

Good morning to all Dailyites and lurkers!  This is the place to be, Happy Birthday, @dfish, and many thinks to all who post.  Pretzels are a good source of salt, but I prefer Miss Vickie's (sea salt) potato chips.  

My American cousin with the State Department is now in Reykjavik and said the 40,000+ earthquakes they experienced before the eruption were quite disconcerting.  Can you imagine?!  She is from Seattle, and her last posting was Bangkok, so she is thrilled to be in a cooler climate, though.  We are planning to book a cruise that goes to Iceland, and I told our PCC that. although she  had organized for Jill to visit us one time for lunch in the Pinnacle in Lisbon,  we wanted to do it again in Reykjavik and she said it was no longer allowed.  Has anyone else heard that?

Our SWFL eaglets are about ready to leave the nest.  They have been flying around for days, but return to be fed, and Mom and Dad keep bringing in the goodies.  In the past, the babes have left for good very soon after fledging, but these teenagers certainly know where their bread is buttered!

1611698597_ScreenShot2021-04-23at1_25_35PM.thumb.jpeg.ee59dfaa0305f78b9f877ef48e74723a.jpeg

1039145645_ScreenShot2021-04-23at1_30_18PM.thumb.jpeg.0f9429c8927bdc1de27e43db5e5542eb.jpeg

• Like 21

Good morning all!

Wish I could hug an Australian today, every one I've met has been delightful.  I can take or leave pretzels, the meal looks quite good, and sadly we haven't been to NZ (cancelled last year).  Having lived in California quite a few years, and the west coast all my life, I'm lucky to have never experienced a larger quake than a "6" (which was terrifying).  The worst are the long, hard shakers, the rolling ones can be interesting, and the quick, loud shakers can be over before you know it hit.  

A big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Debbie @dfish!!!

@ger_77what an amazing way to celebrate your DH's 80th!  You know how to go all out!  Thanks for sharing the photo 🙂  

Here's a photo of one of our grandsons hugging a kangaroo (the owner told him he could do that), the closest I have to hugging an Australian. 🙂  It was at the "Outback Farm" a little north of us.  We've taken the boys there several times, always a fun day.  They have everything from peacocks to llamas, kangaroos and wallabys. 

kangaroo.jpg.97de2df501a2e2110709027c8b1d1cac.jpg

• Like 17