The Daily for Friday Apr 30, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! I love that the trees are leafing out now, but miss my Salt Spring forest, and my leaf printing supplies. My current hairstyle is much appreciated by those who identify as haystacks.

Yesterday was not a good day. I read the daily and drew a lot of strength from you all, but just did not post. DD in Taiwan finally let me know that all is not well there. She and DSIL have separated and filed for divorce. This is a very fast process there, if both parties agree. Her life is there now, and she has permanent resident status, so she is staying in Taiwan rather than coming home. Needless to say I am devastated.
Then DH had a video chat appointment with his brother in hospital in Montreal. He is in worse shape than we thought. He cannot speak, or look at the camera. DH talked to him about memories from their childhood, and he was able to move his hand slightly when something resonated. He will never be leaving the ICU. So, that was my day.

Thank you all for being here in this positive space. Jacqui, God bless you for posting HAL’s bread pudding recipe today of all days. It’s exactly what I need right now.

I’m so sorry this has been such a down entry. It’s Friday, and I wish I could spend it at the stern of a BHB watching the wake fade away towards the horizon.

EB44D1A7-046E-4945-800E-FF6E5F411E72.thumb.jpeg.35aff8258867aaccb98a7037942b0782.jpeg

Sending hugs 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We have cruised the Saint Lawrence on the Eurodam  in 2009 from Quebec City on a New England “ Colours of the Fall " cruise to Ft Lauderdale 

DSCF0756.thumb.jpg.6d18937fdb18761b061c4156c84853ce.jpg

DSCF0837.thumb.jpg.1bd6082e2a52253c9a69fceed3f3da0a.jpg

On a tour from Quebec City we visited the Montmorency Falls .

974249949_DSCF08222.thumb.jpg.d621871fab3d4cac7dd428cb7e692e4e.jpg

1721435573_DSCF08262.thumb.jpg.addf9f8d36a601ee505fc6b097c7e5cc.jpg

Proud of  “our”  great Canadian Captain Darin Bowland , from New Brunswick . There still was that nice Welcome Party and the introduction of the main officers in 2009 .  

DSCF0852.thumb.jpg.95c592573be42f5c2c763749eab7b893.jpg

Going down the river we passed the Maasdam in the fog 

DSCF0842.thumb.jpg.997c34e590701d69e16f005414a582ef.jpg

On our first stop in the Gaspe we were tendered off the ship in glorious sunny weather to visit the Perce Rock and walk the town but suddenly the very dense  fog rolled in and because the Eurodam was anchored a ways from port the tenders had a real problem finding the mother ship , they had to get talked in over the radio to get us back on board  and all of a sudden at the last moment we finally saw the Eurodam . The tender lasted about half an hour .

DSCF0858.thumb.jpg.d34c24166e789426926df5bb0aec725e.jpg

1470034151_DSCF08602.thumb.jpg.a699a5dccf13a107c52c1f19cd362bfe.jpg

Once we hit the Gulf of Saint Lawrence we had some wonderful tours in Newfoundland , Prince Edward Island , Nova Scotia and New Brunswick . 

DSCF0856.thumb.jpg.e52eca59a94bf580480ea7e0ed4a4b9d.jpg

DSCF0878.thumb.jpg.783f1a5d9fb12315893bba59226e8638.jpg

DSCF0886.thumb.jpg.fdf13ae484d61e28bc223db4c3f0aa52.jpg

DSCF0906.thumb.jpg.7c356643e7d426566f54412361cfa153.jpg

DSCF0908.thumb.jpg.2c30b083530b86f646221e326995910b.jpg
DSCF0910.thumb.jpg.12edc5dc1d19640652a7fadc80b85963.jpg

DSCF0916.thumb.jpg.9eab8de9bef8c8e79ae748587b6ddb15.jpg

All of the other beautiful pictures are in my “old fashioned photo album “ . 
Have a great day everybody , Please Take Care and Stay Safe so we can all soon cruise again ! 

Tony 
  • Like 25

Good morning and thanks to all who make this such a warm caring place! 
@kazu  wow!  Love the daffodils!  Are those 35 new perennials?  I would be exhausted too!

We helped our son trim all the trees at his new house, the neighbour said in eleven years no one had touched them,  so taking it easy today too.  Other than we have to also cancel the Rotterdam cruise today, just can’t risk no insurance.  

@ger_77 re the floater, scary when it first happens!  

And the hair giggles,  mine hasn’t been this long since I was in my twenties,  so I’m a hippy nana too!  Who knew mine was actually fairly wavy.  My hairdresser won’t recognize me when I finally get to see her!  

The weirdest cloud last night! 

5050F267-6E5B-4366-A8D5-CA4569A075B9.jpeg

• Like 21

@Horizon chaser 1957Sorry to hear about your bad day.  Wishing you better days ahead.

@NextOneSending positive thoughts to  your DH

The meal of the day looks delicious. Unfortunately, I wouldn't find anyone else in my family who thought that!

I have never cruised the St. Lawrence, but would like to.

I do live in a city on the St. Lawrence, at the start of the the 1000 Islands. It's a beautiful area.

@rafinmd Liked all your pictures.  I haven't been to Singer Island, but would love to see it.  Boldt Castle has been under renovation for many years. It is operated by the Thousand  Island Bridge Authority.  It is open to tours, and can host events such as weddings.  As renovations are completed, more rooms are open to the public. The first 2 floors are complete, and the grounds are lovely. Construction started in 1900 and was abruptly stopped in 1904 when Louise died.  It was abandoned for 73 years. Originally Hart Island, the name was changed to Heart Island. Legend says Thousand Island salad dressing was first served there, by Boldt's chef.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  We are still having very un-spring like weather with our highs in the 60sF and clouds.  

Can very definitely celebrate Arbor Day, but will not be planting a tree.  I can appreciate my hairstyle when I stick with one that does what my hair wants to do.  🤣  Jazz is all right, but I prefer rock "n roll from the 60s. 

We should all try to live by Shaw's quote.

@dfish  Debbie, I will try the recipe sometime.  For our vegetarian DD and her SO, I can substitute  vegetable stock or broth for the chicken broth.

@smitty34877  Loved your pictures of the towel animals.  I have always liked them, but since we've seen them all many times, we usually ask our cabin steward to save time and not make them for us.

@NextOne  Hope your DH's surgery goes well and he recovers quickly, so he can begin the new chemo treatment.  Sorry you can only visit an hour a day, but glad your DS is with you for support and help.

@mamaofami I can sympathize with your auto correct woes.

@kazu Thanks for the bread pudding recipe, but I'll pass on National Raisin Day.  I cannot stand raisins, both the taste and the texture. 

The tragedy in Israel is beyond belief.

Thank you everyone who has posted pictures today.  I've enjoyed them.

We have sailed the St. Lawrence six times, but I have taken very few pictures sailing along the river.  The few I have were taken on very dreary days and are not worth posting.  However, I have a few river pictures from our days in Quebec City.

Intrepid sailors enjoying a day on a choppy river.

DSC00193.thumb.JPG.b1772fe5f24f61723d5b42bbaaeb1e07.JPG

We took a ferry across the river, and I do have one decent one cruising on the river after all.

DSC00448.thumb.JPG.416df4b7412f1f1332a351e9947b031d.JPG

Finally, the Veendam docked in Quebec City in 2014.

DSC00451.thumb.JPG.352e18ae0a5778f0e2dc47e649aa5074.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 21

11 minutes ago, bennybear said:

wow!  Love the daffodils!  Are those 35 new perennials?  I would be exhausted too!

Thanks 🙂   One thing that the deer don’t eat (yet). Yes, it was 35+ new perennials - roots.  Now to see if anything comes up 😉 I sure hope so as they were different than what we can normally get here.  🤞 

• Like 8

Just now, kazu said:

Thanks 🙂   One thing that the deer don’t eat (yet). Yes, it was 35+ new perennials - roots.  Now to see if anything comes up 😉 I sure hope so as they were different than what we can normally get here.  🤞 

Our nibbled the daffodils!  Yikes!

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

DSCF0906.thumb.jpg.7c356643e7d426566f54412361cfa153.jpg

That looks like the Algonquin Hotel in St. Andrews, NB. (A very historic hotel with a rich heritage).   That means you docked in Saint John.  Pity we hadn’t known you back then to meet up 😔 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kazu said:

That looks like the Algonquin Hotel in St. Andrews, NB. (A very historic hotel with a rich heritage).   That means you docked in Saint John.  Pity we hadn’t known you back then to meet up 😔 

We stayed there years ago!  It was really lovely! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bennybear said:

We stayed there years ago!  It was really lovely! 

Glad you enjoyed it 👍 Their Sunday brunch is scrumptious. At least it was when we used to go.  Haven’t been for a while with covid rules 😔 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Our nibbled the daffodils!  Yikes!

YIKES.  Mine usually fail as the squirrels steal the bulbs so I tried them in new spots last fall.  The squirrels obviously got some but the mulch helped 😉 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Tbay said:

@Horizon chaser 1957Sorry to hear about your bad day.  Wishing you better days ahead.

@NextOneSending positive thoughts to  your DH

The meal of the day looks delicious. Unfortunately, I wouldn't find anyone else in my family who thought that!

I have never cruised the St. Lawrence, but would like to.

I do live in a city on the St. Lawrence, at the start of the the 1000 Islands. It's a beautiful area.

@rafinmd Liked all your pictures.  I haven't been to Singer Island, but would love to see it.  Boldt Castle has been under renovation for many years. It is operated by the Thousand  Island Bridge Authority.  It is open to tours, and can host events such as weddings.  As renovations are completed, more rooms are open to the public. The first 2 floors are complete, and the grounds are lovely. Construction started in 1900 and was abruptly stopped in 1904 when Louise died.  It was abandoned for 73 years. Originally Hart Island, the name was changed to Heart Island. Legend says Thousand Island salad dressing was first served there, by Boldt's chef.

Singer Castle is actually on Dark Island, just across the boundry line from Mallorytown Landing.  I've travelled up the 401 many times crossing the Thousand Islands Bridge on the way to visit my family South of Montreal.  BTW, was your DH a lecturer on the Prinsendam Grand South America?

Roy

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Busy visiting with my sister. The sign continued. Today I will put on long underwear and continue with the lettering. Working from a two foot round of wood presents new challenges I have not done before. But hopefully my age has left my hands steady as I endeavor to do lettering today. 
Thanks Rich and all. 

Hope you will share a picture when it’s done.😁

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, kazu said:

I have a friend who has a home on Fire Island in NY. The deer were eating all her flowers so she planted plastic ones. Her neighbors couldn’t understand how she had flowers and they didn’t.

• Like 8
  • Haha 10

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Had to batten down the hatches yesterday with driving rain and 50mph winds. Some trees and wires down in areas, but I was ok. I moved my strawberry pot into the garage to protect it. Still 40mph winds today. The grass is getting really high, but it will be a dry weekend so I can mow then.

Good days. I recall planting trees as a kid on Arbor Day. I appreciate a good hairstyle and I'm a jazz fan.

I like the quote.

I like the side dish and don't know the drink. I'll take the wine. I like Roy's meal as well.

I haven't cruised the St. Laurence River. Appreciate everyone's pics.

@ger_77 I hope DH's back feels better. I'm having back issues too when I stand even a short time. I just started a Medrol dose pack (steroids) on top of the Prednisone I take for my eyes. Oy. I'm trying some stretching too to see if it helps.

@NextOne Prayers for DH's upcoming surgery. It's good your son is still there.

@Vict0riann I'm glad the biopsy was ok. Sorry about the cruise. I'm not ready to even think about cruising until next year, with my medical issues.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Sorry to hear about DD and DH's brother. You have a lot going on. (((Hugs)))

Prayers for the care list (and Israel) and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask when appropriate.

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I have a friend who has a home on Fire Island in NY. The deer were eating all her flowers so she planted plastic ones. Her neighbors couldn’t understand how she had flowers and they didn’t.

LOL - 2 of my neighbours have big planters out front already filled with flowers - plastic/silk.  They look real enough from the street.  

They gave up on the fight with the deer and fool anyone driving by 😉 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

@Horizon chaser 1957,I am so sorry to hear your sad news.It is difficult enough when family is close by.

@ger_77,I hope DH is feeling better.It is also scary to have a floater in the eye.

@NextOne,sending prayers and hope for a swift surgical procedure  on Monday.

We just saw the family and had an outdoor picnic overlooking  the Hudson.DH and I are ready for naps.     Terry

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! I love that the trees are leafing out now, but miss my Salt Spring forest, and my leaf printing supplies. My current hairstyle is much appreciated by those who identify as haystacks.

Yesterday was not a good day. I read the daily and drew a lot of strength from you all, but just did not post. DD in Taiwan finally let me know that all is not well there. She and DSIL have separated and filed for divorce. This is a very fast process there, if both parties agree. Her life is there now, and she has permanent resident status, so she is staying in Taiwan rather than coming home. Needless to say I am devastated.
Then DH had a video chat appointment with his brother in hospital in Montreal. He is in worse shape than we thought. He cannot speak, or look at the camera. DH talked to him about memories from their childhood, and he was able to move his hand slightly when something resonated. He will never be leaving the ICU. So, that was my day.

Thank you all for being here in this positive space. Jacqui, God bless you for posting HAL’s bread pudding recipe today of all days. It’s exactly what I need right now.

I’m so sorry this has been such a down entry. It’s Friday, and I wish I could spend it at the stern of a BHB watching the wake fade away towards the horizon.

Laura, I am so sorry. Never apologize for sharing your pain. It may not eliminate it, but hopefully our caring thoughts and prayers can make it more bearable. 

Keeping your entire family in my prayers. Hugs. 

Ann

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1