Still alot of uncertainly as to which cruises are a go? How soon with RCCL let us know?

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Ken....Regarding the new guidelines released by the CDC.  Is it possible for a particular line to have their initial set of ships do the 95% 5% route in order to start generating revenue and then have other ships in the fleet do the test cruise route?  The second group of ships would have to jump through more hoops, but then they would not be burdened with the 5% rule, allowing more kids on board and also more unvaccinated adults.   A 3,000 passenger ship would only be able to have 150 kids and unvaccinated adults on it with the 5% rule, but those restrictions would obviously be lifted under the test cruise route.

There are too many unknowns still and  more clarifications are needed from the CDC.  I’m not going to wade into this guessing game as to what will happen other than state that I think that what cruising looks like “if” they start back up in July could look very different than cruising in December looks like.  Everything is changing so rapidly that it wouldn’t surprise me to see things change again before July. 

Look at the Bahamas sailings as an example.  When they were released you needed a PCR test, a few weeks later the Bahamas government waived that requirement if you had been vaccinated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

NCL have a list of cruises that are going ahead and then a date by date list of planned ship start dates.  I have given a link below but it may not work outside of EU, if it doesn't work you can see the NCL list by going on their homepage and scrolling down to "We're back!  Let's get cruising"

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/return-to-service?intcmp=na_sl_rts

Have to laugh at that  one 16 day sailing they have on there for October 12, 2021.  NORWEGIAN SUN

Leaves from Seattle, first 3 stops are Ketchikan, Juneau and Seward where the average temperature is 8 to 16 degrees.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

NCL have a list of cruises that are going ahead and then a date by date list of planned ship start dates.  I have given a link below but it may not work outside of EU, if it doesn't work you can see the NCL list by going on their homepage and scrolling down to "We're back!  Let's get cruising"

I would say that they are being overly optimistic with that list snd that some of those planned returns will not sail. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Have to laugh at that  one 16 day sailing they have on there for October 12, 2021.  NORWEGIAN SUN

Leaves from Seattle, first 3 stops are Ketchikan, Juneau and Seward where the average temperature is 8 to 16 degrees.

Average high/low temps in Seward in October are 45/35f.  Juneau is 49/39.  Even in January Juneau average high is 35, nowhere near 8-16.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Average high/low temps in Seward in October are 45/35f.  Juneau is 49/39.

Guess that was Celius I read.  Still to cold for the normal excursions there.

Edited by Jimbo

8 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Average high/low temps in Seward in October are 45/35f.  Juneau is 49/39.  Even in January Juneau average high is 35, nowhere near 8-16.

That's warmer than it was in Maine when we did our NE/Canada cruise in Oct 2018.

Edited by BND

9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I only used a big box agent once. She booked my cruise and that was the last I heard from her even when I called her directly. I must have spoken to agents for the length of that booking for price adjustments, follow up on OBC from agency and other things that came up along the way. If it wasn't for the OBC they were offering at the time I would never use them.

Just to clarify, the big box TA I am praising is affiliated with a warehouse and your call is answered by the first available rep each time you ring in. Once we did use that big box out of NH and was assigned a specific agent but we never needed to contact her once we'd booked.

10 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Let me toss out this questions fellow cruisers for your input/ discussion. There's absolutely no question about it that RCI is going to begin their operations out of the State of Florida first with different class ships. So, now lets look at Port Liberty NJ where the Oasis was to begin their cruises in mid May. Currently the Ports of NY and NJ are telling us that they are not open to cruise ships at least through the month of May by cancelling ALL the cruise lines in and out of there. Even if the CDC gives the go-ahead to begin cruises sometime in July the NJ and NY Ports "could" remain shut down to the cruise Industry. This is going to cause another headache for passengers booked to leave from there. So what do you suppose would happen to the Oasis that's still off the coast of Nassau right now. Would you think that NJ and NY cruises could be cancelled and the ship sent to operate out of Florida on a new itinerary? As we can see there's a lot more grounds to cover here with very little answers at hand.

I added the highlight to the above. The Port of NY & NJ is not closed.  Unless you have a link to an official source that says this, please don't say it.  Their web page says they are open.

https://www.panynj.gov/port/en/index.html

There are no cruises out of NY or NJ right now because there are NO cruise lines sailing out the the US.

I don't pretend to know the order of ships that Royal will restart cruising with or the rate they will do that.   I will say that once the first large ships start (presumably out of Florida), the Oasis out of NJ may represent the highest potential revenue over all of the small ships.  Ships out of NJ normally sail full at higher prices than elsewhere.  As an added bonus NJ and the Port Authority of NY & NJ are not got going to object to a vaccine requirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

We always take the last cruise of the season in Sept. just before the repo to Hawaii, it is always perfect weather...natives out in shorts temps around 75-80 but I guess 30 days makes quite a difference there.  We've been 3 times in Sept. never a bad day.

alaska 299.JPG

Edited by BecciBoo

42 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

I added the highlight to the above. The Port of NY & NJ is not closed.  Unless you have a link to an official source that says this, please don't say it.  Their web page says they are open.

https://www.panynj.gov/port/en/index.html

There are no cruises out of NY or NJ right now because there are NO cruise lines sailing out the the US.

I don't pretend to know the order of ships that Royal will restart cruising with or the rate they will do that.   I will say that once the first large ships start (presumably out of Florida), the Oasis out of NJ may represent the highest potential revenue over all of the small ships.  Ships out of NJ normally sail full at higher prices than elsewhere.  As an added bonus NJ and the Port Authority of NY & NJ are not got going to object to a vaccine requirement.

Thanks for your post but as far as what's in store for the Oasis (or RCI for that matter) bringing in record revenue it doesn't appear to apply to it this year. The Oasis no only has the Florida-Nassau itineraries that were supposed to start in May but also has the New England itineraries as well, and we know what's no going to happen for any cruise ships visiting Canada this year. As one of the posts said an announcement was to be made May 1st regarding ports reopening in the Northeast. Ok, the 1st is a Saturday, lets see what Monday brings.

6 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

NCL has a lot of courage, but then again most of the other Lines are still selling in July and beyond. The clock ticks and I'm sure we're all hoping that the return to cruising isn't too far away. if another roadblock shows up there's going to be a lot of very bewildered and unhappy people. (again)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Based on that they have no faith in July cruises from American ports.

Not sure I do either  (And I have a mid July 4 nighter booked)

Edited by molly361

2 minutes ago, suizas said:

With the latest CDC news from last week, are the ships only sailing at 50% capacity or 1000 max pax if the pax are 95% vaccinated?  Or has this changed? 

That CDC news seems to be internal talking points more so than actual policy.

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I would say that they are being overly optimistic with that list snd that some of those planned returns will not sail. 

I agree but at least they are keeping their passengers advised as best they can rather than having all sailings from July on sale.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

I agree but at least they are keeping their passengers advised as best they can rather than having all sailings from July on sale.

I agree that it would be nice to know what is sailing but I would rather have the cruise line take their time and know with 100% certainty rather than posting something and then having to make yet more changes.  We've been waiting a year now, waiting another month really isn't a big deal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

We always take the last cruise of the season in Sept. just before the repo to Hawaii, it is always perfect weather...natives out in shorts temps around 75-80 but I guess 30 days makes quite a difference there.  We've been 3 times in Sept. never a bad day.

alaska 299.JPG

Well it's not "always perfect" like that, in fact it usually isn't.  Juneau for example, average high in September is 57, and they average 19 days of rain in September.

Edited by bouhunter

56 minutes ago, suizas said:

With the latest CDC news from last week, are the ships only sailing at 50% capacity or 1000 max pax if the pax are 95% vaccinated?  Or has this changed? 

Nothing has changed as of yesterday suizas, CDC still saying 40% capacity...ALTHOUGH I spoke with RCI Reservations yesterday (Saturday) and was told that they are to continue to sell all the ships as if there's no limitations on bookings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Nothing has changed as of yesterday suizas, CDC still saying 40% capacity...ALTHOUGH I spoke with RCI Reservations yesterday (Saturday) and was told that they are to continue to sell all the ships as if there's no limitations on bookings.

Communications problems or just a plain old SNAFU????

• Haha 1