That Bundle of Bacon

11 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

No offense, but being greedy isn't nice. I was at a hotel with my wife and went up to get some bacon. A guy in front of me took 16 pieces (I kid you not) and left me with none. To add insult to injury, he left half of them on his plate uneaten and so they went into the garbage can. If no more self serve buffet means people can't hog the food, FINE BY ME. 2-3 pieces per person is fine. If you eat that, come back for more once OTHERS have gotten some.

While I understand what you are saying in regards to the hotel, the cruise line would have more bacon out within minutes. The hotel should have had more ready as well

4 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

I would prefer the buffet to go away.  Put a QR code on the table, order from my phone and have it brought to my table would be a service improvement without adding much additional time or cost.

Interesting thought but I don't see it happening. Some of the older generations don't use smartphone enough to know what a QR code is, if they do, I don't see them ordering from their phones... 
Another issue is a lot of people still like to unplug when on vacation and most phones are locked in their safe, or just put away

51 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We were on Allure TA March 1-13

No real accomodations that I could recall. 

They even let us off in Malaga, Spain on March 11😱

We got off the ship at every port. Some we had private excursions, some ship excursions and 1 or 2 we just walked around on our own. Some of the ports/excursions had some changes to their policies but most did not... 

When I think back on the excursions, that could have been really bad breeding grounds!! 

14 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I wish this Twilight Zone episode only lasted 4 weeks in Michigan.  As far as I can tell, it’s still going on.  Someone please change the channel.

LOL I don't disagree that we are all still stuck in the Twilight Zone episode! 
But the drive home and the 4 weeks following that I talked about where 200x worse than the next several months...
I would say it got 10x-15x better each month since... we still have a bit to go but its more tolerable or I am just numb to it and used to it now 😞 

22 hours ago, Host Kat said:

Oh yessssss! Paula Deen can have her butter... gimme bacon!. 

Yep, that Bacon Shake... or maybe it was a Bacon Sundae... was my first bacon desert. Have a look down Memory Lane...

YES YES YES and 

the best dish i learned from our Tx friends was put bacon in  Brussel sprouts now i can eat them

It  was the bacon Sundae for me Now im craving one Thanx

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

We got off the ship at every port. Some we had private excursions, some ship excursions and 1 or 2 we just walked around on our own. Some of the ports/excursions had some changes to their policies but most did not... 

When I think back on the excursions, that could have been really bad breeding grounds!! 

So did we. We only had one stop, one of the early epicenters as I recall. I rember freaking out when a gypsy grabbed my hand, put an olive branch in my palm, and started praying for me. 

Then she got pissed when I only gave her a Euro. My 30 year old son got accosted as well. Guess we were lucky

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

So did we. We only had one stop, one of the early epicenters as I recall. I rember freaking out when a gypsy grabbed my hand, put an olive branch in my palm, and started praying for me. 

Then she got pissed when I only gave her a Euro. My 30 year old son got accosted as well. Guess we were lucky

We both were very fortunate!! 

The only time someone grabbed my hand was at the straw market in Labadee! He got lucky that day  🤣 I was about to kick him when my DH grabbed my hand to shake him off and we left rather quickly!! 
I don't mind them asking for a handout or whatever but don't get mad when someone says no or they don't give as much the person wants

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

I can't tell you what will be, but I can tell you what it was on one of the very last cruise before the shutdown. Our Cruise was 11nights on Serenade, March 2-13, the shutdown was March 15. 

From the first day of the cruise until the very last guests in WJ were served by staff.
The staff handed out the plates, silverware and they brought the drinks to your table. I guess they didn't want everyone standing next to one another, Lots of people were practicing social distancing to a degree...  
The staff was not playing it skimpy! I saw one of the dinner plate loaded with the cobbler of the day. I saw turkey and mashed piled so high it was like the food plate marathon!! lol I wasn't going out of my way to see what others where eating, but it was hard not to see a plate that looked like it was in need of a stronger tray!! 🤣

I know when I requested hash browns, I was asked about how much, crispy, soft or mid range. They were doing what they could it a weird situations... And I think they did a great job!!

To this day I still felt safer on the ship, than I did driving home! Driving home, 24 hour fast food, truck stops, restaurants, gas stations, hotel hobbies, you name it, 90% or better of them were closed down by sundown... 
The next 4 weeks at home I felt like I was stuck in a Twilight Zone episode...

this makes me smile!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

After both getting fully vaccinated, we decided  "heck it's time to travel, we are going somewhere". We booked 2 weeks in Los Cabos and stayed at 2 different all-inclusive resorts. 

May I ask - at what resorts you stayed?

Edited by ramja96

10 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

Interesting thought but I don't see it happening. Some of the older generations don't use smartphone enough to know what a QR code is, if they do, I don't see them ordering from their phones... 
Another issue is a lot of people still like to unplug when on vacation and most phones are locked in their safe, or just put away

This would also require the cruise line to include wifi access to everyone for free - removing one of their revenue streams. Unlikely.

16 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Given that cruise lines spend and average of $12 - $15 per person per day on food even a 25% reduction in food costs isn't going to save you anything on your cruise fare.

Interesting statistic.  Thanks!

11 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

While I understand what you are saying in regards to the hotel, the cruise line would have more bacon out within minutes. The hotel should have had more ready as well

Yeah, no. Still doesn't excuse greed or wasting food. And by the looks of him, that guy should have been eating fruit and taking a walk, just sayin...

On 5/9/2021 at 6:17 AM, zebra36 said:

I am also guilty of grabbing a pile(?) of crispy goodness. I imagine the servers wont load up as I would but I will stand there until I get at least 6 rashers on my plate!

Maybe when you get to bacon station;  just ask server for six pieces.  Problem solved.  Enjoy

1 hour ago, ramja96 said:

This would also require the cruise line to include wifi access to everyone for free - removing one of their revenue streams. Unlikely.

ramja96; this is a possibility.  The ship could set up a intranet connection verses internet.  Some cruise lines use intranet already; that is how Princess uses the Ocean Medallion.  you can make dining reservations etc;  all without using internet

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

From judging based on updates from multiple cruise lines, your phone is being integrated into the experience. It will be your menu, your messaging service, your way to interact with guest services, etc.

On 5/9/2021 at 5:30 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Makes we want a Berkshire Pork Belly app from Chops. You would love it, always comes soft and extra greasy image.thumb.png.fa9a89118603f988fcd7e42c459849bb.png

I love the Pork Belly app from Chops.  Oh now you got me jonesing again.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 6:15 AM, DCGuy64 said:

No offense, but being greedy isn't nice. I was at a hotel with my wife and went up to get some bacon. A guy in front of me took 16 pieces (I kid you not) and left me with none. To add insult to injury, he left half of them on his plate uneaten and so they went into the garbage can. If no more self serve buffet means people can't hog the food, FINE BY ME. 2-3 pieces per person is fine. If you eat that, come back for more once OTHERS have gotten some.

I have never seen a Windjammer buffet ever come close to running out of bacon. You can be as greedy as you want and there will still be plenty for the next guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ramja96 said:

Not at all, you can hook up to their internal network without having access to the World Wide Web.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 8:15 AM, DCGuy64 said:

Agreed. If cafeteria-style buffets means less food waste, I'm on board! It would be interesting to see how the removal of self-serve buffets will impact food waste industry-wide.

Self serve buffets are up and running all over America.  I've personally been to them in WA and CA in the last few months.  There is no reason, except for public health bureaucrats, that they won't continue on ships. Food waste will always happen as long as unrestricted portions are available.  Whether someone is serving it or you are selecting it will make no difference at all. Anytime something is available for no additional cost there will be no restraint in its consumption.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Self serve buffets are up and running all over America.  I've personally been to them in WA and CA in the last few months.  There is no reason, except for public health bureaucrats, that they won't continue on ships. Food waste will always happen as long as unrestricted portions are available.  Whether someone is serving it or you are selecting it will make no difference at all. Anytime something is available for no additional cost there will be no restraint in its consumption.

Where in Ca. are there still some ?

9 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Where in Ca. are there still some ?

While at Foca de Chao a couple of weeks ago in Irvine their salad and buffet table were open.  You had to put on little plastic gloves but you served yourself.  They have quite an extensive collection of  things available. It is not just salad.  Of course, I'm just there for the steak, so my trip to the buffet section was only once and only to get a taste of a couple choice items.

While is WA I went to an all you can eat Chinese buffet.  Same deal.  Little plastic gloves but you served yourself.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Thanks 1