That Bundle of Bacon

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Two slivers of bacon just won't do.  I'll stand there until they load up my plate with as much bacon as I want and then top it off with a couple of sausage links.  And BTW I want the crunchy bacon.

Yep. Just stand there until they give you more

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stevio said:

Cannot fathom how "American bacon" can be called bacon... One cut or bite and the stuff splinters like glass showering everywhere.

Now British bacon (sometimes called Canadian on some sailings) are thin slabs of floppy greasy & fatty gammon designed to stay put when cut into and of course much richer in essential artery clogging oils.

As to quantity, in service buffets, my Mrs has long ago perfected the art of just standing and staring at the carvery man until a huge heap of meat has accumulated.

You can always tell the Brit at the breakfast buffet as we are the ones with everything fried piled up and then covered in baked beans. And being British leaving a clean plate.

The over crisp bacon you refer to is perfect for a BLT. The mayo holds it together. Personally I prefer bacon not that crisp if I'm eating it as a side. But not soggy and limp

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 2chiefs said:

There's a reason most people in America only eat turkey once a year....

or that there are no fast food restaurants (like Popeyes, BoJangles, Chic Filet etc) specializing in turkey.

Laura covers her turkey in bacon prior to roasting. If I smoke one, no bacon.

20210501_154814.thumb.jpg.5805f84096cfa768a69c5d42ec5a7ecc.jpg

Pretty sure Popeyes does fried turkeys seasonally 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Yes! yes! yes!...smiling just thinking about it.

salmon_bagel.JPG

I love lox and bagels but what else have you put on yours

26 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Laura covers her turkey in bacon prior to roasting. If I smoke one, no bacon.

20210501_154814.thumb.jpg.5805f84096cfa768a69c5d42ec5a7ecc.jpg

Pretty sure Popeyes does fried turkeys seasonally 

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH someones got a Kamodo. Looks great

Ive got a friendd that has 2 of the originals from Japan(USN pilot)

Ive got my weber Geneis gas, my smokey joe charcoal and my new favorite Traeger smoker that I brought back from Texas. havnt thought about smoking a Turkey thou HMMMMM 🤔

23 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

Ive got my weber Geneis gas, my smokey joe charcoal and my new favorite Traeger smoker that I brought back from Texas. havnt thought about smoking a Turkey thou HMMMMM 🤔

Spatchkock it, remove backbone and spread him out😉

20210501_132442.thumb.jpg.b01a0d1fb188c2cd8dbfd6f79cb86a42.jpg

Takes about 2 1/2 hours

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

I’m assuming it will still be available regardless of Covid protocols, but I have been missing my favorite buffet food during the past 17 months since our last cruise — Indian food.  It’s always so good onboard, and we rarely have other than while traveling.  

I will admit to enjoying a bit of extra bacon too.  My husband started cutting the bacon pieces in half, cooking them, then counting each half as a “piece”.  And we each get two “pieces”. 😳😕. I am not a fan of his math.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

I’m assuming it will still be available regardless of Covid protocols, but I have been missing my favorite buffet food during the past 17 months since our last cruise — Indian food.  It’s always so good onboard, and we rarely have other than while traveling.  

I will admit to enjoying a bit of extra bacon too.  My husband started cutting the bacon pieces in half, cooking them, then counting each half as a “piece”.  And we each get two “pieces”. 😳😕. I am not a fan of his math.

Can't go wrong with curry. Agree your husbands math is so wrong in so many ways. 

Can I say, how much I love that so many of you indulged me on my bacon post!    

I will admit though,  I'm the weirdo that HATES crispy bacon, i always look for the the most limp pieces in the pile!

• Like 2

i am guilty on getting several pieces of bacon, especially if I did lots of drinking the night before.

I will miss the self serve ice cream machine.  I like to put the perfect amount of vanilla/chocolate in a bowl with some cookies...  yummmm... 

Edited by Sunshine3601

6 hours ago, Pratique said:

I also think that self-service will be back sooner than later since contaminated surfaces are not major contributors to the spread of Covid.

Shame we don't hear more about this, Your odds of getting Covid from contaminated surfaces is even less than you odds of catching it after full vaccination. 

Seems that all this over sanitation the first world has done in the last 75 years actually makes us human more susceptible, by reducing our natural immunity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

... I will miss the self serve ice cream machine.  I like to put the perfect amount of vanilla/chocolate in a bowl with some cookies...  yummmm... 

Have been known to put bacon 🥓 in my vanilla soft serve. 🍦 Proof? Here ya go!

image.png.7588b37a2cd6e787a7d793f662a03c76.png

Years ago Denny's Restaurant had a Bacon Week with bacon in or on just about everything. They had a Bacon Shake on the menu & it was good, believe it or not. Sweet 'n salty at the same time! So I sorta tried it on Carnival Liberty or Valor out of Galveston in 2016 or 2017. After getting the soft serve, made a "side trip" to Guy's Burger Joint for the bacon.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Host Kat said:

Have been known to put bacon 🥓 in my vanilla soft serve. 🍦 Proof? Here ya go!

image.png.7588b37a2cd6e787a7d793f662a03c76.png

Years ago Denny's Restaurant had a Bacon Week with bacon in or on just about everything. They had a Bacon Shake on the menu & it was good, believe it or not. Sweet 'n salty at the same time! So I sorta tried it on Carnival Liberty or Valor out of Galveston in 2016 or 2017. After getting the soft serve, made a "side trip" to Guy's Burger Joint for the bacon.

I'm not so sure about that but heck I'll give it a try!

3 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Can I say, how much I love that so many of you indulged me on my bacon post!    

I will admit though,  I'm the weirdo that HATES crispy bacon, i always look for the the most limp pieces in the pile!

Makes we want a Berkshire Pork Belly app from Chops. You would love it, always comes soft and extra greasy image.thumb.png.fa9a89118603f988fcd7e42c459849bb.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Makes we want a Berkshire Pork Belly app from Chops. You would love it, always comes soft and extra greasy image.thumb.png.fa9a89118603f988fcd7e42c459849bb.png

I miss this.  And the mushroom soup.  And the Oysters Rockefeller, why did they remove them from the Chops menu?  I miss a lot of cruise fun and food. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

Our last vacation was January 2020, and we went to Sandals in Barbados. They had a cafe with donuts on the resort. 

B45DDEE2-D394-4367-A002-2699A7C97FC5.thumb.jpeg.8854b4af57b57c4dcd4c92d285ffb60f.jpeg

Look closer.

31CCEACE-825A-4325-BA58-5272AB41168F.thumb.jpeg.63330ddda8abc56b4f50015be03587c9.jpeg

Gave the bacon donut a try. Ate it all but enjoyed the pretzel bun the most. 

94AA41BD-0CD6-4E87-A665-A07DFD4557E3.thumb.jpeg.982a964e51c1cae458bb60e6e0b025c7.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Our last vacation was January 2020, and we went to Sandals in Barbados. They had a cafe with donuts on the resort. 

B45DDEE2-D394-4367-A002-2699A7C97FC5.thumb.jpeg.8854b4af57b57c4dcd4c92d285ffb60f.jpeg

Look closer.

31CCEACE-825A-4325-BA58-5272AB41168F.thumb.jpeg.63330ddda8abc56b4f50015be03587c9.jpeg

Gave the bacon donut a try. Ate it all but enjoyed the pretzel bun the most. 

94AA41BD-0CD6-4E87-A665-A07DFD4557E3.thumb.jpeg.982a964e51c1cae458bb60e6e0b025c7.jpeg

Possibly the best donuts I ever had were at Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki 

15 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm not so sure about that but heck I'll give it a try!

You might want to have Alka-Seltzer handy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jonbgd said:

I’ve had a #5 Kamado pot since 1978. Someone was importing to DFW from Japan together with Pachinko machines. Had to do a rebuild in 2007 but still going strong .

Here’s the book that came with it: Kamado Pachinko

🙂

Edited by pspercy