The Daily for Saturday May 15, 2021

richwmn

46 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

Nope, you are not alone.  There are 2 of us that do not care for chocolate chip cookies.

You are safe my my scavenger self. Your country will not let me cross the border - they want all your cookies for themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Saturday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thanks to Jacqui for keeping the lists  for Roy. So good to hear he is doing well and going home today. 

I love chocolate chips and sliders. I have been thinking about making this https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/bacon-cheeseburger-slider-bake/?_cmp=top10nl&_ebid=top10nl592021&_mid=414498&ehid=485b055028cbafca51dd208ef1b6c5ebc109c7fe&os_ehash=485b055028cbafca51dd208ef1b6c5ebc109c7fe   I don’t know if I got the recipe here or from my email but it looks good for a get together. TJ’s has really good slider buns but not all the time so I buy extra and freeze them for hamburgers. 

Happy Armed Forces Day. My father was in the Marines. 

Happy Anniversary to those celebrating. Get well everyone!  We need to dwindle the Care list and get them on the Celebration list. 

@JazzyV take care!  Thinking about you a lot and praying you find something out quickly. 

@StLouisCruisers praying for your siblings. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 14

Roy is HOME 🙂 

I am copying and pasting his email verbatim.  He originally gave me permission to do so long ago so I hope I haven’t somehow done something wrong in all of this 😉 😱 

From Roy:

“ The hospital called me an Uber and I got home about 3:15.  The discharge instructions are relatively basic.

No driving for 48 hours
Can't lift over 10 pounds for 48 hours.
No INTENSE exercise.  

I have a followup with the surgeon on June 7.  On my last pre-op visit they said I would get home health visits for a few weeks but that is not in the plan.  The hospital may set that up early next week.

In addition to the echocardiogram I was visited by a "mobility tech" this morning and we walked around the floor, perhaps 5 minutes.  He was pleased with my walking and suggested a few minutes at meals would be a good idea.  I took a second walk after lunch and am thinking a spin around my neighborhood after dinner.

It's probably too early to assess just how much improvement there was but I did think my walk today was at least somewhat better than what it has been.

I want to thank all of you for your concern and a few other people who have had key roles in the process.”
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 4

50 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Jacqui, I totally agree with you that most want everyone to be vaccinated and that is going to be the only way to get into Europe. But for now other than the Eurodam Greece sailings (which HAL is failing miserably in selling) I do not see HAL ever stating that Everyone Must Be Vaccinated. They did not have a choice with the Greece Sailings. They will blame poor sales on this as a reason but the real reason is they were the last cruise line out of the gate to offer these sailings and the last to cancel the current summer Med cruises because they wanted to hold on to the money. 

Cruising out of the US will start up in the late summer but other than NCL the rest will not state vaccinations are mandatory unless the CDC comes right out and tells them they have to. The CDC keeps throwing the ball into the cruise lines court giving them every reason they should mandate vaccines for cruising but other than NCL none are willing to make the move. It appears HAL along with CCL are willing to do the test cruises and jumping through more hoops rather than make it go smoothly. Personally I think that both sides are playing chicken. Which is only costing the cruise lines more money than this fight is worth.

Though not the best comparison, I am flying to Iceland in July. As of today, I must be vaccinated and carry proof with me. I must wear a mask on the plane When I land, I will be tested for COVID - at no cost to me. I must stay at my hotel until I receive negative results. They estimate 4-5 hours. The hotel will have our rooms ready for us, as well as a public area we can gather in while we wait. 

Then to come back to the states I have to have another, no cost test with negative results. Not sure how that will transpire, but I will know before I leave home. 

Things may be different 60 days from now, but... I feel safer just knowing what the current protocol is. 

But there are still people at my gym who still do not believe the pandemic is real. Sigh. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, NextOne said:

A bit of good news -- no additional work on the water main yesterday or today. Is it fixed? I'm not willing to say for certain, but I'm enjoying having clear water again!

Today was DH's third radiation treatment. All seems to be going well, so I'm hopeful he'll be able to move to rehab later next week. After four weeks in the hospital, he just wants OUT!

Thanks to everyone for all your prayers. It's working!

Edi

YAY on clear water  👏 

Good news on your DH’s radiation treatment.  It would be great if he could go to rehab.  I can’t blame him for wanting out!  

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Roy is HOME 🙂 

I am copying and pasting his email verbatim.  He originally gave me permission to do so long ago so I hope I haven’t somehow done something wrong in all of this 😉 😱 

From Roy:

“ The hospital called me an Uber and I got home about 3:15.  The discharge instructions are relatively basic.

No driving for 48 hours
No INTENSE exercise.  

I have a followup with the surgeon on June 7.  On my last pre-op visit they said I would get home health visits for a few weeks but that is not in the plan.  The hospital may set that up early next week.

In addition to the echocardiogram I was visited by a "mobility tech" this morning and we walked around the floor, perhaps 5 minutes.  He was pleased with my walking and suggested a few minutes at meals would be a good idea.  I took a second walk after lunch and am thinking a spin around my neighborhood after dinner.

It's probably too early to assess just how much improvement there was but I did think my walk today was at least somewhat better than what it has been.

I want to thank all of you for your concern and a few other people who have had key roles in the process.”

Sounds great Roy!  You are blessed!

• Like 7

What great news about Roy being home - and for his pastor and her congregation stepping in to help him with his recuperation!  

@JazzyV that must be so frustrating, feeling ill and not being able to get to the bottom of it until you see your PCP.  Ridiculous!  You'd think they would have tried a little harder to discover the reason for your symptoms . . . they do on every TV doctor show I've seen!  Sending prayers for better health ahead.

@NextOne, glad to hear your DH is tolerating the radiation treatments well; hoping he will soon be released from the confines of the hospital to a rehab centre so he can start to really recover.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Another Roy Update:

I heard from Roy’s pastor and she said he sounded very good.  He’s being discharged this afternoon and he’ll let them know about his needs and next steps.  A church member was going to pick him up but apparently the hospital will provide the transportation.

She (his pastor) will be checking with him for his needs for meals, transportation, etc.  Sounds like he has a fabulous, kind pastor and a great church.

So glad to hear he will have some support ♥️ 

Thanks for the update, Jacqui. It certainly sounds like his needs will be well met. Great news.

• Like 8

Returning to the mulch topic from the other day: the orange place nearest me is 20 miles away and I can't verify that they have cypress mulch. Mulch supply in general is regional, but I remember buying cypress mulch in Ohio, which is more or less in the same region, a couple of decades ago.

Not that I am ready for mulch. The main gardening accomplishment today was filling a raised bed that I built on Thursday. It's for a shade garden, in the only bit of my property that has any shade to speak of, but today there was more sun there than I remember from last year. The idea is to start putting plants in tomorrow afternoon before, or in the lulls of, intermittent rain -- it is hard to get water to that corner. Primula 'Supernova' will be the first to go in. Most of the other plants for it haven't come yet.

• Like 10

I met a couple new friends on the beach this week. The Eagle was quite interested in the seal pup; the seal pup seemed to think the eagle was his mother and scooted along the beach to get closer a few times. 

1935832_eaglewithpup2.JPG.9b9d8bc227bc50790b117eb36107d0ff.JPG

1639370469_sealpup2.JPG.5e9e9a8f4242ec2b35dbd1b998780818.JPG

• Like 24

9 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

I met a couple new friends on the beach this week. The Eagle was quite interested in the seal pup; the seal pup seemed to think the eagle was his mother and scooted along the beach to get closer a few times. 

1935832_eaglewithpup2.JPG.9b9d8bc227bc50790b117eb36107d0ff.JPG

1639370469_sealpup2.JPG.5e9e9a8f4242ec2b35dbd1b998780818.JPG

Incredible!

• Like 7

Lynne & I would like to thank all of you for the postings regarding our anniversary. The first 50 years have been fantastic for us and we are looking forward to many more. Hopefully they will include lots of cruises. Now if they could only get the cruises started again.😎

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by GeorgeCharlie
  • Like 15

Welcome home, Roy
We have been to Indonesia, sailing on Rotterdam in 2017.  We were in three ports, on Java, but none of them was Probolinggo!  It was wonderful to see so many of the crew get to see their families.

We also have been to Cabo three times, 2006, 2010 and 2018.  

• Like 12

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Well, I spent the morning in the Emergency Room. Last night and this morning I felt awful. No fever, but weak, dehydrated, shaky. I still thought maybe my potassium was low. I started at my health network's walk-in clinic, but no labs done on Saturday. My BP was really high. So off the the ER. I got fluids, labs (but no potassium level on it!!! 😡), EKG, etc. Then my D-Dimer was sky high, so got a chest CT to rule out a lung blood clot. Fortunately that was negative. So I'm home, with no diagnosis. I'm trying to get in with my PCP on Monday. Until then, just resting, trying to drink fluids and eat with no appetite. On a positive note, Covid test was negative as was the CT (so no explanation for the new eye issues).

Vanessa, I am so sorry to hear this.  It is a shame that they couldn't find a cause in the ER because you are truly suffering here.  I hope your PCP can do better.   Your PCP knows you and should have an easier time figuring this one out.  Do rush back to the ER if your symptoms get worse.   Especially the ones that might indicate a blood clot.  That is nothing to play with.

I am glad the COVID test was negative.   

Stay on top of it and be persistent with those doctors.   I hate to say it, but sometimes they are dismissive of us and think we are exaggerating.   I had one like that and I took pleasure in firing her.  Got up and walked out in the middle of an appointment.  

• Like 15

2 hours ago, NextOne said:

A bit of good news -- no additional work on the water main yesterday or today. Is it fixed? I'm not willing to say for certain, but I'm enjoying having clear water again!

Did they say anything about boiling water for a couple days? When I lived in an area where water mains were prone to breaking (steep hills), whenever one broke and was repaired they advised boiling water, or using bottled water for drinking and cooking for a while.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, dfish said:

Vanessa, I am so sorry to hear this.  It is a shame that they couldn't find a cause in the ER because you are truly suffering here.  I hope your PCP can do better.   Your PCP knows you and should have an easier time figuring this one out.  Do rush back to the ER if your symptoms get worse.   Especially the ones that might indicate a blood clot.  That is nothing to play with.

Thanks all for your prayers and commiserations.

I tried online to set up with my PCP, but no appointments. So I called the scheduling number and got in for Tuesday with her PA. I will try early Monday to get one of the coveted same day appointments. It's scary when you live alone. You hope you don't end up not able to call for help. I have been having neuropathy symptoms (tingling in my extremities) in addition, which I blame on Humira that I took for my eyes. I wonder about MS. No one seems to know anything for sure. I need a Dr. House (TV doc who could figure out the toughest cases).

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I need a Dr. House (TV doc who could figure out the toughest cases).

Since his "figuring out" often subjected the patient to numerous gruesome procedures, maybe it's just as well that he's fiction.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon.

Good days, especially to those who've served their country. Nice meal and drinks.

I haven't been to today's port.

Well, I spent the morning in the Emergency Room. Last night and this morning I felt awful. No fever, but weak, dehydrated, shaky. I still thought maybe my potassium was low. I started at my health network's walk-in clinic, but no labs done on Saturday. My BP was really high. So off the the ER. I got fluids, labs (but no potassium level on it!!! 😡), EKG, etc. Then my D-Dimer was sky high, so got a chest CT to rule out a lung blood clot. Fortunately that was negative. So I'm home, with no diagnosis. I'm trying to get in with my PCP on Monday. Until then, just resting, trying to drink fluids and eat with no appetite. On a positive note, Covid test was negative as was the CT (so no explanation for the new eye issues).

@rafinmd Glad you're doing well post-op. Take it easy! And I'm glad your church is stepping up to help!

@Cruzin Terri That's awful! Thieves stink!

@StLouisCruisers So sorry to hear your DSis is still struggling. Prayers for her and your DB.

@Cruising-along Welcome home! It sounds like it was a great trip.

Prayers to all on the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Time to rest a bit. 

Sky high D-Dimers are serious. Believe me, I know.  Did you have an ultrasound on the legs for a DVT? If not, go back and get one.  I am talking from experience and almost died.  

Thanks for your concern about my problems.

Terri

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Since his "figuring out" often subjected the patient to numerous gruesome procedures, maybe it's just as well that he's fiction.

LOL - at least he found what was wrong.

Sorry, former House fan 😉  We need a few more of them even if they try a few things to get to the issue at hand 😉 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Thanks all for your prayers and commiserations.

I tried online to set up with my PCP, but no appointments. So I called the scheduling number and got in for Tuesday with her PA. I will try early Monday to get one of the coveted same day appointments. It's scary when you live alone. You hope you don't end up not able to call for help. I have been having neuropathy symptoms (tingling in my extremities) in addition, which I blame on Humira that I took for my eyes. I wonder about MS. No one seems to know anything for sure. I need a Dr. House (TV doc who could figure out the toughest cases).

Dam on no appointments and the tingling is scary.

I hate that you live alone and have no one if something happens 😢 

Keep the phone with you always please and don’t hesitate to call 911.

I’m with you on Dr. House.  Wish we really had Diagnostic Clinics.  They would be a boon.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Roy is HOME 🙂 

From Roy:

No driving for 48 hours
No INTENSE exercise.  

🌺Jacqui,

So happy for Roy’s update 👍👍

Appreciate keeping us posted!😊

@rafinmd 

🌺Good idea of taking a spin around your neighborhood but is that a good idea today? LOL! Baby steps but with the new improved Roy soon you will be doing all your favorite things which I know walking is one! Sleep well tonight Roy and I am happy your home and you have a great care team to help! Blessings to your Pastor for being your guardian angel!

Denise😊

• Like 10

Just now, rafinmd said:

My May 15 sunrise is from a 2017 string of cruises.  On May 15 the Crystal Symphony was at sea from Cartagenia Colombia to Charleston SC:

dawn0515.jpg

Roy

I think that’s one of the nicest ones, Roy.  A sunrise on your new outlook on life and health 👍 

• Like 12

1 minute ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺Jacqui,

So happy for Roy’s update 👍👍

Appreciate keeping us posted!😊

@rafinmd 

🌺Good idea of taking a spin around your neighborhood but is that a good idea today? LOL! Baby steps but with the new improved Roy soon you will be doing all your favorite things which I know walking is one! Sleep well tonight Roy and I am happy your home and you have a great care team to help! Blessings to your Pastor for being your guardian angel!

Denise😊

Thank you.  I am actually just back from my spin, or actually half a spin.  It may be a couple of days before a full spin (or perhaps tomorrow morning) but my tentative reaction was a significant improvement which I think will continue improving for a few more days.

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Roy is HOME 🙂 

From Roy:

No driving for 48 hours
No INTENSE exercise.  

Answered prayers!!

• Like 6