Giovanni's vs Jamie's

3 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

When Portofinos/ Giovannis were around, Vintages had excellent tapas using the same kitchen.  With Jamies, Vintages' menu went to appetizers from Jamies, which we didn't really care to eat again

If only we could get CP 150 cheese platters and Chop's pork bellies in Vintages....one can dream

• Like 2

18 hours ago, woneill63 said:

Hello, everybody, I have dined at Giovanni's many times over the years, and on four different ships, and have never had a bad meal.  However, I have dined at Jamie's twice, different ships, and both times the meal was less than stellar, in fact, it was downright bad.  Next summer, 2022, we have an 8 night Mariner cruise booked, we are doing Chop's twice and Chef's Table once.  Should I give Jamie's another chance or stick to the main dining room that evening? 

Giovanni's is more Italian than Jamie's.  However, I've never had a bad meal at Jamie's.  Loved the lamb chops and the crab meat marinara with linguini.  Never had so much crab meat in a dish.

Portofino was out favorite.  Never liked Giovanni's.  We tried it a couple of times and just wasn't good so never went again.  We loved Jamie's the first time we went there in 2016 on Anthem.  Eggplant was excellent.  We have gone at least once on each of our Anthem cruises and it has progressively gotten worse each time.  The last time there, we had a waiter who was working there for the first time and we were his first table.  We knew the menu better than he did and no one was helping him at all.  Poor guy brought out our appetizer and bread stick went rolling off the plank to the floor.  He then tried to put the plank down on the cans and tipped it and sent the hummus flying, it bounced and splattered hummus all over my pants and sandals.  He was mortified.  He got me some napkins and we told him not to worry.  He then disappeared.  Our entrees took forever and were finally delivered by someone else, eggplant entrée has now been changed and was terrible.  Even the desserts have gone down hill.  We asked the new guy to bring our check and left.  We saw our original waiter working at Cafe at 270 later in the cruise and he got all embarrassed.  We were never charged for our meals at Jamie's but they did put the extra tip through that we had left for our waiter.  We felt so bad that management had him working in a new restaurant without shadowing someone for a while.  They knew they had messed up because before we left, there were waiters serving in Jamie's wearing Wonderland attire and Sorrento's shirts.  At least they sent help.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, George C said:

I used to love Giovanni’s but I thought it went downhill in last few visits. None of the staff or cooks appeared to be Italian or European .

Hello,

If what they are serving is 'boil-in-the-bag' then I don't think that makes much difference.

Regards,

Cublet

Thanks for the responses everyone.  Since we are getting the three dinner package we have decided to give Izumis a shot that night.  My wife loves sushi, me, not so much.  I know that it is all a matter on individual taste, but, from the responses, it appears that Jamies is not a favorite with the majority.  Last time I ate at Portofino's was 2008 and I vaguely remember liking it. 

Anyways, Cheers !

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 9:21 PM, RFerrington said:

Portofino’s.  I so agree with you.  Each Portofino replacement has gotten progressively worse.

Thank you...I completely agree!

• Like 1

So I may be the minority but Jamie's is by far one my families favorite restaurants on Royal Ships. We specifically seek out ships that have it, eat there 2-3 times on a 7-night sailing. It is not your typical chicken-parm red sauce Italian kind of place.

We love the calamari, garlic bread, and those Planks are to die for for starters....the meat and cheese spread...i'm getting hungry now.

My wife loves their Salmon, I think the burger there is one of the best at sea (i usually get that for a lunch) and the Carbonara was heaven.

Anyway, I know others have different opinions, my from me, Jamie's gets the vote.

• Thanks 1

One of my favorite things to eat in Jamies is the Truffle Tagliatelle.  I look forward to it every time we sail on Harmony and Symphony. 

I also like their burger at lunch.  On Allure my family is very happy with Giovanni's.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SuzD123 said:

Thank you... I completely agree!

I agree also, but in the early stages of introduction.  Later the menu selections became smaller and both food and service went downhill.

I thought Jamie's was good, but I absolutely loved the steak dinner at Giovanni's.  It was even better than anything I got at Chops.  Also, the tiramisu was amazing.  Dang, now I'm hungry.

All that said, I'd eat at either one any time.

Tom

• Like 1

We've dined at both.  We like the Steak at Giovanni's (better than Chops) but like the Italian selections, especially red sauce based,  better at Jamie's.  I don't think you can go wrong at any of their specialty restaurants.

On 5/18/2021 at 10:21 PM, RFerrington said:

Portofino’s.  I so agree with you.  Each Portofino replacement has gotten progressively worse.

I was trying to remember myself!  I had the best Filet Mignon ever at Portofino's.  Thanks for jogging my memory.  I am scheduled to cruise in on Mariner in November and have mixed feelings about Jamie's - based on the sample menu - but my daughter is eager to try it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

our next cruise is supposed to be on Liberty. If you had to choose between Chops and Giovani's , which would you choose

9 hours ago, lovelife said:

Giovanni's

Agreed!

On 5/20/2021 at 9:10 PM, orville99 said:

A brit professing to know how to make authentic Italian dishes is about as logical as someone from Mumbai starting a chain of burger joints.

What has nationality got to do with it? It's just a line on certificate - surely upbringing is the essence. I would say the majority of Indian restaurants here are staffed by Brits - that is their parents had the right to live here and they were born here making them British by nationality but most probably still Indian (Bangladeshi to be pedantic) by upbringing.

As neither my father nor grandfather renounced their Italian citizenship, for 300 Euro and completing the right paperwork I can become Italian - would that make my opinion on Italian restaurants more valid?

Cublet

2 hours ago, cublet said:

What has nationality got to do with it? It's just a line on certificate - surely upbringing is the essence. I would say the majority of Indian restaurants here are staffed by Brits - that is their parents had the right to live here and they were born here making them British by nationality but most probably still Indian (Bangladeshi to be pedantic) by upbringing.

As neither my father nor grandfather renounced their Italian citizenship, for 300 Euro and completing the right paperwork I can become Italian - would that make my opinion on Italian restaurants more valid?

Cublet

The first clue would be that only a Brit pretending to be an italian chef would put marinara sauce on risotto.