Giovanni's vs Jamie's

Hello, everybody, I have dined at Giovanni's many times over the years, and on four different ships, and have never had a bad meal.  However, I have dined at Jamie's twice, different ships, and both times the meal was less than stellar, in fact, it was downright bad.  Next summer, 2022, we have an 8 night Mariner cruise booked, we are doing Chop's twice and Chef's Table once.  Should I give Jamie's another chance or stick to the main dining room that evening? 

• Thanks 1

I wish they would get rid of Jamie’s from all the ships. We have had two experiences and would never return to them. Have had much better meals in the Giovannis restaurant. But each of us has our own preference. 

Edited by Larryhnj
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I would say give Jamie's another chance, but if the Grand Poobahs at Royal Caribbean were soliciting my opinion, I would tell them to dump Jamie's and keep Giovanni's Table.

Already started, at least on new ships. Odyssey received Giovanni’s  Italian Kitchen instead of Jamie’s.  It will be interesting to see how this menu compare to Giovanni’s and whether Jamie’s starts getting removed in future drydocks once they start spending money again. 

I’ve dined at Giovannis many times and only once at Jamie’s on Symphony.  Always really enjoyed Giovannis. Jamie’s was totally forgettable for me. I’d find other specialty restaurants to spend my money on other than Jamie’s. 

• Like 2

What was the restaurant before Giovannis?  It was better than either.  The first time I ever ate at a Jamies was in Bath England.  Prior to Jamies, I always thought every restaurant in the UK was at best ok, and most likely sucked.  Some of the veterans in the UK forum guided me to some really good meals in November 2009.  One of those was Jamies.  It was so good, I started seeking them, and they were proliferating.  So, in 2013 we were on an English Isles land trip with my best customer and the wives, and we arrived in Edinburgh Scotland.  We were walking thru town near the Waldorf hotel we were staying at and saw Jamies.  We had dinner.  That was the singular, worst meal I have ever paid hundreds of dollars for.  My steak was inedible.  It was a new restaurant at the time, but to me it screamed we are growing fast and quality is not our focus.  

On the Anthem and Ovation (the ships I have been on with Jamies) I have found the meals to be decent, not special not memorable, but good.  The atmosphere is very homey.  The waitstaff usually seem like rookies.  It is fine.  

So, someone remind what was the Italian restaurant before Giovannis, because it was really good.  Our favorite.

jc

4 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

What was the restaurant before Giovannis?  It was better than either.  

Portofino’s.  I so agree with you.  Each Portofino replacement has gotten progressively worse.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Karma5 said:

Jamies is not really Italian, and I have eaten there and never again.................

I don't understand Jamie's concept. He was on the food channel as the naked chef. His next show was outdoor cooking.

Now it's Italian? 

His restaurants are failing. What concept is next for him? 

Jamie’s at sea is far better than Jamie’s on land.  ( think the land restaurants have all closed now?)  I usually now pick Jamie’s in preference to Chops because at least it’s a little bit different. 

Edited by little britain

3 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

What was the restaurant before Giovannis?  It was better than either.  

You beat me to it!  I was about to suggest to the OP "Go to Portofino, it's better than both of them"  hahaha.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Portofino’s.  I so agree with you.  Each Portofino replacement has gotten progressively worse.

Hello,

I agree with you 100%. I did try Giovanni's but something less like an Italian family restaurant I could not imagine (my father's side of the family is Italian).

One of the problems I have with Jamie's is the presentation - it looks like a 'road-kill'.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I agree with you 100%. I did try Giovanni's but something less like an Italian family restaurant I could not imagine (my father's side of the family is Italian).

One of the problems I have with Jamie's is the presentation - it looks like a 'road-kill'.

Regards,

Cublet

Agree, almost like a 'frankie and bennies' experience.   Only tried Jamie's once, that was enough, I find him a bit too preachy.  

Oh I feel this! I haven’t actually had Jamie’s yet, but it will be on my next cruise. I went on voyager in 2019 and was so prepared to like chops the most because people rave about it so much but Giovanis was the absolute best meal I ate! I’m quite sad that giovanis isn't on my next ship, but I’m trying to stay positive and have high hopes for Jamie’s. 

• Like 1

Whether is be Jamie's, Giovanni's, or Portofino (my personal favorite), it always makes me laugh when I see people complaining about the menu selections by saying "There's so much seafood! I thought it was supposed to be an Italian restaurant?!"  Apparently, they haven't looked at a map to see how much coastline Italy has. 😆 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sgmn said:

We really enjoyed Jamie's on Anthem. I like Giovanni's too but a lot of the menu has cheese, especially the starters , and DH hates cheese 🤷‍♀️

OMG so does mine! He asks everywhere to not put any cheese on his dishes or to keep it on the side. And for me.......no cheese no life! 😁

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, sgmn said:

We really enjoyed Jamie's on Anthem. I like Giovanni's too but a lot of the menu has cheese, especially the starters , and DH hates cheese 🤷‍♀️

It's the CHEESE, Gromit!!!😁😋

• Haha 2