The Daily for Sunday May 23, 2021

richwmn

Four residents of the Marathon turtle hospital in the Keys. The youngsters were rescued because of a sudden cold snap and would soon be released. 

The large dude had the large front fin amputated and was being observed. The hospital believed “Chomper” might actually be released. 

22DBB0E0-C998-4925-A244-A96084524B6C.jpeg

1774ECF5-61F3-44A6-A371-3BE4D5D4F17C.jpeg

CD7A628F-771E-4F00-8E35-9C05747788AC.jpeg

Edited by cat shepard
I can not count.
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon, Dailies.  Prayers to those in need, kudos to those celebrating.  

It is a rainy day in North Texas.  We are not complaining.  We only hit 90 degrees one day this year and haven't gotten near 100 and that is an unexpected surprise. Our lawn is very green and neighbors are stopping by to take pictures of the flowers.  

We walked in the light rain with umbrellas but never needed to open them.  After the hike we were off to our Sunday jaunt to the ethnic groceries where we picked up lots of nuts, seeds, fruits and veggies.  Recreational grocery shopping is one of the DH's favorite activities and we often visit farmers markets, groceries and seafood markets when traveling.   Though I love yams I am eating a 7 salad.  Years ago Yan as on Yan can cook said when making a stir fry, a salad or a soup to always include at least 7 items and your recipe would be a success.  

We must be feeling confident as when driving around town today we were discussing our 2023 cruise schedule (2022 is already planned).

Wishing everyone a most wonderful day.

I do have some stone from Angola, I will try to find photos later today

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 14

51 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Beautiful!  I wish I knew how you all upload these amazing pictures, I've searched and searched CC and can't find any directions.

What @kazusaid is not what I usually do.  Most of my photos come from my blogs and my browser of choice is Firefox.  If I right click on a photo on the blog I get a dialog box that looks like this:

Untitled.jpg.3b1a50fa509c3756a3b9097a41bd5a7f.jpg

I click on "Open image in new tab" and it adds a tab showing the photo.  I can then just copy and paste the URL of the photo into my Cruise Critic post and Cruise Critic automatically converts the URL to an actual photo.  (I did use @kazu's method to load this little screen shot, and I have some old photos from before I started blogging where I do that as well.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sometimes when you resize a pic before posting it, it goes topsy-turvy.

You can either return it to its original, very large size, or take a screenshot of it and then resize the screenshot to post it. 

Good to know thanks.  And yes that's happened to me in other forums where I've uploaded a picture and it blows out beyond the edge of the screen.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Four residents of the Marathon turtle hospital in the Keys. The youngsters were rescued because of a sudden cold snap and would soon be released. 

The large dude had the large front fin amputated and was being observed. The hospital believed “Chomper” might actually be released. 

22DBB0E0-C998-4925-A244-A96084524B6C.jpeg

1774ECF5-61F3-44A6-A371-3BE4D5D4F17C.jpeg

CD7A628F-771E-4F00-8E35-9C05747788AC.jpeg

Love wildlife, and their water always looks so refreshing to me because usually I am visiting in a hot climate.

• Like 6

All the turtle talk has reminded me of a story from years ago.  We had just moved into our temporary home in Williamsburg while our new house was under construction.  Our son was about 14 or 15 and had made some new friends at school and in the neighborhood during the two months we'd lived there.  On Halloween the doorbell rang and it was a group of young teen boys, our son's new friends, who were all good boys by the way.  But obviously they were up to Halloween mischief.  After we chatted with them a few minutes and passed out candy, they departed.  The next time the doorbell rang, I went into the foyer and ran into a good sized turtle wandering around the foyer looking for his next meal.  Somehow they had shoved this turtle into the foyer, probably near a wall so it wouldn't be so obvious.  What a surprise!  🐢

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Good Afternoon, Dailies.  Prayers to those in need, kudos to those celebrating.  

It is a rainy day in North Texas.  We are not complaining.  We only hit 90 degrees one day this year and haven't gotten near 100 and that is an unexpected surprise. Our lawn is very green and neighbors are stopping by to take pictures of the flowers.  

We walked in the light rain with umbrellas but never needed to open them.  After the hike we were off to our Sunday jaunt to the ethnic groceries where we picked up lots of nuts, seeds, fruits and veggies.  Recreational grocery shopping is one of the DH's favorite activities and we often visit farmers markets, groceries and seafood markets when traveling.   Though I love yams I am eating a 7 salad.  Years ago Yan as on Yan can cook said when making a stir fry, a salad or a soup to always include at least 7 items and your recipe would be a success.  

We must be feeling confident as when driving around town today we were discussing our 2023 cruise schedule (2022 is already planned).

Wishing everyone a most wonderful day.

I do have some stone from Angola, I will try to find photos later today

I wish I could get 2022 planned.  We had planned to book a transpacific from Sydney next spring but Australia is now not reopening until mid 2022.  So that's out.  Might have to settle on Hawaii again.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

All the turtle talk has reminded me of a story from years ago.  We had just moved into our temporary home in Williamsburg while our new house was under construction.  Our son was about 14 or 15 and had made some new friends at school and in the neighborhood during the two months we'd lived there.  On Halloween the doorbell rang and it was a group of young teen boys, our son's new friends, who were all good boys by the way.  But obviously they were up to Halloween mischief.  After we chatted with them a few minutes and passed out candy, they departed.  The next time the doorbell rang, I went into the foyer and ran into a good sized turtle wandering around the foyer looking for his next meal.  Somehow they had shoved this turtle into the foyer, probably near a wall so it wouldn't be so obvious.  What a surprise!  🐢

LOL, funny!  Have to say that's a far cry from soaping screens and TP'ing the bushes.....very clever!

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

What @kazusaid is not what I usually do.  Most of my photos come from my blogs and my browser of choice is Firefox.  If I right click on a photo on the blog I get a dialog box that looks like this:

Untitled.jpg.3b1a50fa509c3756a3b9097a41bd5a7f.jpg

I click on "Open image in new tab" and it adds a tab showing the photo.  I can then just copy and paste the URL of the photo into my Cruise Critic post and Cruise Critic automatically converts the URL to an actual photo.  (I did use @kazu's method to load this little screen shot, and I have some old photos from before I started blogging where I do that as well.

Roy

Thanks Roy, good to have another option, will check that out as well. 

Bruno

• Like 4

Just now, atexsix said:

I wish I could get 2022 planned.  We had planned to book a transpacific from Sydney next spring but Australia is now not reopening until mid 2022.  So that's out.  Might have to settle on Hawaii again.

I am still working so 2022 planning was a piece of cake.  I have certain time periods off from work and that limits my sail dates.  We will do a the transatlantic/Med in April followed by a river cruise.  The river cruise is a family cruise.    DH has been wanting to do the RockyMountaineer so another Alaska cruise made sense .

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, highscar said:

We had Joey, a tortoise who was blind in one eye and walked with his head sideways. He loved to sleeping the warm ashes in the fireplace.  He had the”run” of the house. 

Well my cat sure thinks he has the run of the house....I think I'm just the hired help to him.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am still working so 2022 planning was a piece of cake.  I have certain time periods off from work and that limits my sail dates.  We will do a the transatlantic/Med in April followed by a river cruise.  The river cruise is a family cruise.    DH has been wanting to do the RockyMountaineer so another Alaska cruise made sense .

We're considering a transatlantic in the fall of 22, not going to book yet as Europe seems to be off/on with reopening, but we'll consider flying to Greece if we can get a transatlantic from there because we would want to ideally combine it with a Circle Greece.

• Like 5

And @atexsixI use a different method from the last two.  Most of my photos are on Shutterfly in a big file.  If I right click on a photo there (or sometimes other sites on the internet), and it says Copy Image, I click on that.  Then all I have to do is place my cursor in the spot in the post where I want to place the photo and right click, then click on Paste.  The photo instantly appears in the post.  It's been working great and saves several steps.  Here is a photo from sunrise a couple of days ago.  It was 6 am when taken.enhance

If you click on a photo somewhere and it doesn't say Copy Image try Jacqui's or Roy's method.

Great to have it all explained here for everyone's benefit.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Lucky Penny Day reminds me of that old rhyme.  See a penny pick it up, all the day you’ll have good luck.  

The version I learned is closest to yours, just with an added line:

See a penny pick it up, all the day you’ll have good luck.

See a penny let it lie, you’ll be sorry by and by.

I love old sayings with slight variations from being passed orally through the generations in different areas and families!

• Like 13

@atexsix  I'll add another slightly different method to posting photos, which is a variation of the one @kazu posted.  

I have all my pictures on the computer in files by cruises, with the posts as sub files, and the same method for land trips and various other categories.  I also made a file for the pictures I post here.  When I've found the pictures I want to share, I copy them to the CC Picture file, which is the default file when I click on "choose files" at the bottom of the "box" where you write posts.  I then upload the pictures here, where they appear in small boxes below the text.    After that, all I have to do is place the cursor where I want a picture then click on the picture. 

I've learned the hard way, if I decided not to include a picture after all, to delete it from the queue before I post, or it will appear at the bottom of the post.

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DH and I have problems locating items in those big hardware/lumber stores too.  So he's started searching on their website first for what he wants, then writes down the aisle # and bin # to at least get us started in the right direction.  Sure helped us!

I do that, too! But I try to avoid the big-box stores. The other day I had to go to the blue one because the local garden center - in business here since 1880 - didn't have what I needed.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, kazu said:

You don’t have a noise bylaw where you live?  If dogs are barking incessantly it’s against the noise bylaw here and the town will step in.

We do have laws.  Last night was the first night I noticed it and I've had the windows open for a while now.   Hopefully, it was a fluke.   If not, I'll try talking to them and if there is still no resolution, I can call Animal Control.   The animal is cared for, but the owners may get a citation.

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

Thanks.  Yes, aging, omg.  A couple of years ago when I turned 50 everybody at the party told me how wonderful my 50s would be, it's been medical issue on top of medical issue almost from the get go.  I have to continue to wear a mask because I'm health compromised, but I'm fine with it for now because I'm not getting sick again right before I sail.  I don't want a fever from some random illness keeping me off the ship or confined to my stateroom.  I wonder how they handle that?  Not everybody has the same internal temp, some people run higher than others and it's completely normal.  Meclizine, the drug in sea sickness medicine, can also give you a low fever as a side effect. 

On the dog: here's what our neighbors do, we're in townhouses, and they leave their deck door ajar so the dog can go in/out as it pleases.  They don't do it at night or in the winter, but it's still annoying because it echoes throughout the house.  

I remember when I turned 50 and my doctor said I should probably be coming in every six months because I was at the age when things started to happen.   I told her a few years later that she didn't have to be so prophetic.   

My temp tends to run lower than normal.  So, when I say I am cold, I am really cold!   I plan to hold on to my masks when this is over as well.  I liked not getting a cold last winter and would love to continue that trend.   Other than a winter and summer cold, I tend to be pretty healthy.  I guess 30 years in a room all day with teenagers and every bug they carried in with them helped my immune system.   I rarely caught anything they had.  

• Like 12

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

Well my cat sure thinks he has the run of the house....I think I'm just the hired help to him.

You think?  All of our fur babies consider us the hired help.  They let us buy the food, treats, pay the bills and grace us with their presence 😉 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Bummer the NASCAR Texas Grand Prix has had rain every day, but our friends say it is still exciting and fun..

I guess I am more in agreement with your friends. I thought it was great.  Of course, maybe your friends were at the track, and, I agree, being rained on is annoying.   Also, I have to admit to being slightly more partial to road racing.  Of course, my coffee shop/racing/cruise buddy and I did go to watch some circle track racing, last night.

IMG_7109.jpg.b2807a3647eb5df976ac9c5a87a911e2.jpg

Big day for the DVR, today--Monaco GP, NASCAR at COTA and Indy Qualifying.  Life us very good to us race fans, today.n

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

But it is Victoria Day Weekend (or eve if you prefer)!

It is called by many - Victoria Day Weekend.  But, yes, this is Victoria Day eve as the actual day is tomorrow ergo the long weekend 😉 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

It is called by many - Victoria Day Weekend.  But, yes, this is Victoria Day eve as the actual day is tomorrow ergo the long weekend 😉 

We had a few people doing their fireworks last night... I guess they just couldn’t wait to get matches to fuses.

• Like 5

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I'm late today. I wanted to get the lawn mowed while it was cooler (still drenched when I was done). It's going up to almost 90F. Hopefully some rain tonight or tomorrow.

Good days. Growing up at the Jersey Shore, lots of taffy was eaten on the boardwalk.

Interesting meal; I like sweet potatoes but not sure about them in stew. I like the drinks.

I haven't been to today's port. 

I'm happy to see people are getting excited about travel. I think I'll have to go into training before I can consider it. The past year, with the pandemic, plus lots of side effects from medications, has left me quite deconditioned. So, I'm starting out on the treadmill slowly, to try to get into shape so I can travel again.

@dfish My neighbor's dog barks every day between 5-5:30AM when it's let outside. Usually I can just roll over and go back to sleep.

@atexsix Wonderful you're well enough to travel. It seems since I retired I've had one medical issue after another. But we must keep at it!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe all. I will continue to mask, as has been recommended for immunocompromised people.

• Like 13