Odyssey cancelled through July 25

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Maybe not up front, but usually when that happens, sometimes you do get OBC on the sailing.

My point was:  if you expect a refund or even OBC when the taxes and fees drop, you should expect to pay more when the taxes and fees increase.

Just now, ipeeinthepool said:

My point was:  if you expect a refund or even OBC when the taxes and fees drop, you should expect to pay more when the taxes and fees increase.

That's the thing, you don't (pay extra) when that happens on a booking you don't move - RCI covers that cost.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HBE4 said:

When does a ship achieve "cursed" status?

The ship is not cursed.  We are in a pandemic.  Crew members were given J&J vaccine on June 4th. They are not considered fully vaccinated  (until June 18).  They apparently were allowed to mix together on board.  The ship is not cursed as this scenario of a few positive tests during the vaccine maturity period would be a good probability.  Just not smart by the cruise line.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The ship is not cursed.  We are in a pandemic.  Crew members were given J&J vaccine on June 4th. They are not considered fully vaccinated  (until June 18).  They apparently were allowed to mix together on board.  The ship is not cursed as this scenario of a few positive tests during the vaccine maturity period would be a good probability.  Just not smart by the cruise line.

I believe the curse is due to cancelling it's inaugural voyages 3 times prior, and now a fourth😉

And yes, all pandemic related

• Like 1

The bigger issues for those affected are flight cancelations, hotel cancelation, shuttle/transportation cancelation, excursion cancelation, and so on. This is no small feat and in many cases, the passengers are going to be out money. They can only hope insurance covers those losses, but that is another entire set of new issues. 

• 125% FCC is only good when RCL does jack the rates up 3x.
  • Canceling this late has financial impact on many travelers
  • How are passengers compensated for losses that can't be recovered through cancelations and insurance?

1 minute ago, BoozinCroozin said:

The bigger issues for those affected are flight cancelations, hotel cancelation, shuttle/transportation cancelation, excursion cancelation, and so on. This is no small feat and in many cases, the passengers are going to be out money. They can only hope insurance covers those losses, but that is another entire set of new issues. 

• How are passengers compensated for losses that can't be recovered through cancelations and insurance?

My July 3rd sailing was already a jacked up price, so my jacked up FCC 125% might cover the already new ship jacked up rates of a future cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

We have been very careful since March 2020 to only book pre & post cruise stuff that was cancellable without charge.  We have had 12+ cruises cancelled since then, and any other travel plans we had made were cancelled with no charges.  The 10 more cruises that we have booked also have no non-cancellable travel bookings.  Most of them we will wait until we are certain to sail before planning pre and/or post travel.  So, essentially a day or 2 before we sail...😉

11 hours ago, Laminator said:

I understand that. Trust me I actually understand it more than most as my DW gets a dozen articles every day in her pharmacy journal. The point of the article I posted was to let the poster know that although all of the vaccines are excellent some in fact are more efficacious than others.

In  regards to what? Mild or asymptomatic disease? I really don't care about those, and the reduction of those are not the desired effect from the vaccine. The desired effect is to stop serious disease that causes hospitalizations and deaths. In regards to that criteria, they are all right about the same. The published efficacy rates are based on the studies at the time, and the studies are not all created equal due to the timeframe, and population that participated. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

How long did it take Ulysses to get home?

20 years, then had to rid his house of suitors trying to steal his wife? Although it should be the Odysseus version you tack on to the Odyssey. 😉

Edited by xpcdoojk
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, HBE4 said:

When does a ship achieve "cursed" status?

I read a book written by a cruise crew member and he said there are ships that are cursed and everyone would get upset if they were transferred or assigned to one of these ships. He called them "dark ships" in the book.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PigsCanFly said:

We have been very careful since March 2020 to only book pre & post cruise stuff that was cancellable without charge.  We have had 12+ cruises cancelled since then, and any other travel plans we had made were cancelled with no charges.  The 10 more cruises that we have booked also have no non-cancellable travel bookings.  Most of them we will wait until we are certain to sail before planning pre and/or post travel.  So, essentially a day or 2 before we sail...😉

Will Royal's travel insurance cover the non-refundable air flights that were not booked thru Royal? Will we get refunded the airline tickets we purchase on our own if they cancel???

5 minutes ago, cruzcactus said:

Will Royal's travel insurance cover the non-refundable air flights that were not booked thru Royal? Will we get refunded the airline tickets we purchase on our own if they cancel???

deleted

Edited by meghan74
wasn't answering the actual question

18 minutes ago, cruzcactus said:

I do not believe it does, best to read their policy coverages.  You should be able to find on their website.

I had booked refundable flights thru a2s for our august cruises and when they were recently cancelled we got our refund back in 6 or 7 days.

I dont think they cover airfare other than a2s.

Feeling sorry for anyone who made plans that just got canceled.  Not only do many people have a lot of rearranging to do. They will incur extra expenses. Doesn’t look like Royal will take responsibility.  That in addition to the short notice of getting a vacation canceled ruined is enough to make many potential guests upset.  When you take time off and plan a trip, you may not be able to change your vacation time to a future date.  With many, vacation dates are not flexible.  Many years ago, we were booked on a package to Acapulco…plane, hotel, etc. babysitter was arranged.  less than a week before, the trip was canceled.  We were told that no enough people had booked.  It wasn’t weather or a disaster. We could not reschedule. Our vacation time was fixed. Got a refund several months later.  However,  that still left us with a week vacation and nowhere to go.  It was before internet. We wanted to go some place on vacation. We made lots of phone calls…air, hotels, etc.  we eventually pasted together a trip to Bermuda.  Cost more.  We loved Bermuda.  We have gone back many times.  The travel company that canceled us eventually folded.  How you are treated by any travel business determines future business dealings. Treat guests well, your business will increase.  

• Like 1

For those that didn't book refundable rates, why don't you keep your flight and hotel and enjoy a vacation in South Florida? Drive down to Key West? We always book refundable rates so we don't end up with this kind of aggravation. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

It was a crapshoot booking a cruise during a pandemic and anyone who booked knew that cancellations and changes in itinerary or ships was a possibility. Shame on anyone who didn't book refundable deposits for hotels and excursions and air to sea.  I don't think insurance was covering losses due to the pandemic. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

For those that didn't book refundable rates, why don't you keep your flight and hotel and enjoy a vacation in South Florida? Drive down to Key West? We always book refundable rates so we don't end up with this kind of aggravation. 

I would imagine it would be next to impossible to book anything in Key West this short notice and I imagine the prices must be steep.