The Daily for Sunday Jun 20, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all! 

Happy Father’s Day to any and all fathers here on the Daily! Today is also our wedding anniversary (51 years) so DH gets a double celebration. Two years ago we were on an Alaskan cruise on this day with friends who also got married June 20, 1970.

We have been to Whitehorse at least 5 times, two times as part of a cruise tour and twice on a land trip, plus one time, in Skagway, we rented a car and drove to Whitehorse for lunch. No Whitehorse pictures today though, my pictures are on my computer at home.

I have been in Fairbanks twice for the summer solstice and the first time there we got to go to the Midnight Sun baseball game (June 21). I had read about it and, although not that big of a baseball fan, decided we needed to go. I bought tickets, not really sure how we would get to & from the stadium. The Westmark Hotel agreed to shuttle us in between their airport runs. It was a fun event, mostly for locals, we were among the few tourists. First pitch is at 10 pm, they sing the Alaska state song at midnight. The game is over around 1:30 am and the whole thing is played with no lights. We met some friendly, fun people (atoll of whom wanted to buy us beer!)  The Alaska Goldpanners played a team from Beatrice, Nebraska. Tomorrow night they’ll be playing the Everett Merchants from Washington State.

Tonight we will be celebrating at the Level Two Steakhouse (with a nice glass of red wine). 

Prayers for all who need them 🙏 and celebrations as well 🍷. Take care all.

St Louis Sal

• Like 29

Happy Fathers Day.

Yesterday was my longest sea voyage since my last cruise November 2019.

We took the North Carolina ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke and then the next ferry from Ocracoke to Hatteras, driving from Beaufort NC on up the Outer Banks. The first ferry requires a reservation and cost $15 and the second ferry was free, so for about the cost of a day's "hotel charge", or gratuity,  we got a boat ride!

The seas were fairly calm and the ferry had to avoid the sand bank shallows, adding to the transit time. 

It was enjoyable to be on the water again!

20210619_093203.jpg

20210619_101446.jpg

20210619_101845.jpg

20210619_104555.jpg

20210619_104951.jpg

20210619_121609.jpg

20210619_121615.jpg

20210619_130811.jpg

20210619_135940.jpg

20210619_135941.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all! 

Happy Father’s Day to any and all fathers here on the Daily! Today is also our wedding anniversary (51 years) so DH gets a double celebration. Two years ago we were on an Alaskan cruise on this day with friends who also got married June 20, 1970.

We have been to Whitehorse at least 5 times, two times as part of a cruise tour and twice on a land trip, plus one time, in Skagway, we rented a car and drove to Whitehorse for lunch. No Whitehorse pictures today though, my pictures are on my computer at home.

I have been in Fairbanks twice for the summer solstice and the first time there we got to go to the Midnight Sun baseball game (June 21). I had read about it and, although not that big of a baseball fan, decided we needed to go. I bought tickets, not really sure how we would get to & from the stadium. The Westmark Hotel agreed to shuttle us in between their airport runs. It was a fun event, mostly for locals, we were among the few tourists. First pitch is at 10 pm, they sing the Alaska state song at midnight. The game is over around 1:30 am and the whole thing is played with no lights. We met some friendly, fun people (atoll of whom wanted to buy us beer!)  The Alaska Goldpanners played a team from Beatrice, Nebraska. Tomorrow night they’ll be playing the Everett Merchants from Washington State.

Tonight we will be celebrating at the Level Two Steakhouse (with a nice glass of red wine). 

St Louis Sal

Happy Anniversary!🎉🥂

• Like 11

Good morning all and Happy Father's Day.  Our weather actually knows it's "finally summer" this year, something that doesn't happen often here.  We're heading for 80 degrees F today and tomorrow.  I'd love an ice cream soda -- I'd love ice cream in any form!  But since I had some yesterday and rarely have it, I better pass.  The meal looks really good.  I would substitute brown rice but otherwise it looks like a winner.  I think today would be a great day to bbq though.

Thinking of @StLouisCruisersthis weekend and sending prayers and hugs.

Yesterday we went to the "Dinosaur Days" exhibit at the zoo and as with everything they do, it was done well.  Every dino was animated with sounds coming out.  I think we enjoyed it as much as the kids did.  I'll include a  photo here to give an idea of how it was.

I was very fortunate to have a great Dad.  He passed away 3 years ago at the age of 101.  We all miss him very much.

Dad at his 100th birthday.  Even his doctors couldn't believe he was that old.

1038708794_100thbirthday.jpg.2ee76e66e1adaddd51e2e5a20227e312.jpg

One of the many dinos at the zoo yesterday

dino.jpg.a1c9a5d4a268ce8706ac8046552f0306.jpg

• Like 34

Checked back and by coincidence we were in Whitehorse on June 20, 1989. We were driving my mother and her twin sister up to Alaska, and had stopped in Whitehorse for a few days. My mother had always wanted to visit Alaska, so we were taking her up there on a special trip. It was the last trip we were able to take her on, as she had terminal cancer and passed away a few months later.

All our pictures of that trip are pre-digital, but we attended a showing of celebrated local artist Jim Robb and purchased several autographed copies of illustrations of Yukon’s frontier buildings.

Here are a couple of quick snapshots of our framed copies.
347223167_Jim_Robb2.thumb.jpg.5e1426e3fb9cd95d604ae7edb335dd92.jpg

One of Jim's trademarks in his drawing is to have smoke coming out of chimneys, so this is a rare one of where he didn't do it - which is something he had pointed out to us when we purchased it.

706743791_Jim_Robb1.thumb.jpg.d873e4b1d5d9acf50ab8bad4312b76ff.jpg

Jim is now in his late 80's, but is still producing new works. This is an Internet image of his latest illustration - which he calls "Here comes the condos".

His past work was famous for his elaborate and colourful depictions of Yukon's frontier aesthetic, with many images featuring ramshackle log cabins and outhouses, often perched in snowy sylvan landscapes, aurora borealis overhead, and smoke drifting from the ever-present stovepipes.

Those log cabins feature again in his latest artwork, but now they've got company — a row of monochrome condo buildings, towering behind with a subtle hint of menace.

jim-robb-artwork.jpg.4e841ba29b89beb50e435507072ea639.jpg

• Like 32

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  We are in the middle of another heatwave so summer is definitely here.  @dfishthat meal looks amazing.  Yesterday DH made me go to the phone store.  I left with a new one that has a much better camera.  I started playing with it on my cats and the pictures are so much sharper.  This will hopefully lead to some nice pictures while in Alaska.  The phone was under 300 so not too bad at all.  Happy Father’s Day to all dads.
image.thumb.png.ca91c0ffb7175d62ba0732e30b9fd2e4.png

• Like 28

38 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all! 

Prayers for all who need them 🙏 and celebrations as well 🍷

St Louis Sal

Happy Anniversary 

• Like 9

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

All good days. Happy Father's Day to the dads out there. Welcome Summer, altho it's felt like it for weeks. And I like ice cream sodas but haven't had one for many years.

Great quote!

I'll pass on the meal. I like the drinks.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures from those who have.

@StLouisCruisers Thinking of you.

@mamaofami I'm glad you had a good visit with Sam yesterday.

@St. Louis Sal Happy Anniversary! 🥂

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rich and Roy and all Dailyites. Happy Father’s Day.  Happy summer solstice. Happy anniversary. Today, actually late afternoon, my sister and brother-in-law arrive. So many plans to squeeze into so few days. And I get to take my peonies out of my fridge. A neighbor said to pick them several days ago and put them in the fridge as our heat wave would cause the ones on the bushes to pop. I hope he’s right as I want to put a vase full in the trailer to welcome them. I will let you know how they turn out. 

• Like 18

57 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all! 

St Louis Sal

Happy anniversary.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@kazu what is happening to my cilantro? It is producing flowers rather than leaves.  I cut it back a bit but little flowers grow back

I’m sorry to say that your cilantro is bolting.

Don’t cut the flowers back.  It won’t do anything as the flavour starts to leave the leaves.  Cutting the flowers back won’t put the taste back in them.

Your best bet at this stage is to let the cilantro flowers go to seed.  The seeds of the cilantro plant are the spice coriander and can be used in many recipes.

So …why did it bolt?

Cilantro needs moist, cool weather.  If you don’t have that kind of weather you have to buy the slow bolt cilantro.  (Cilantro bred to withstand higher temps).

For cilantro, always do successive planting.  A few seeds every one - two weeks so that as one set starts to bolt, the next ones are ready to harvest.

Cilantro bolts fastest in late spring and mid summer.

Last tip - Harvest the leaves often.  The more you harvest cilantro, the more likely you will nip immature flowering stalks delaying the flowering.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily. Happy Father's Day to our Daily-ites. Love to my sisters. Thanks to all contributors!

image.png.5b51140c986bd96db1c266cf5b0fe356.png

Taking my sweet husband to lunch today. I'll bet $10 he orders fried oysters.

Sandi thinking of you and family. 

@kazu what is happening to my cilantro? It is producing flowers rather than leaves.  I cut it back a bit but little flowers grow back?

Wishing everyone a beautiful Sunday. Cheers,  blessings and prayers. 

Not Kazu, but that is what cilantro will do. If you leave the flowers to go to seed you can plant them next year. The seeds are actually sold as coriander and you can grind them to use. We sow cilantro in stages about 2-3 weeks apart to have green to use but when it is really hot it will shoot to flower and seed stage quickly. Hope this helps.

sorry was typing at same time as kazu!

Edited by superoma
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2