The Daily for Monday Jun 21, 2021

richwmn

Today is Go Skateboarding Day, International Yoga Day, and National Sea Shell Day

One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure. - William Feather

Meal suggestion for today - Grilled Shrimp with Peach Cocktail Sauce

Drink of the Day - Another Brick in the Wall

Wine of the day - Hermann J. Wiemer 2018 Reserve Dry Riesling (Seneca Lake) Finger Lakes

Destination of the Day - Otaru Japan

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Diego eta 06/21
Nieuw Amsterdam Drifting off Mexico
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 6/27
Zuiderdam Destination Los Angeles eta 6/26

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrip Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0622USA.thumb.png.159b4dbc6fa049e810a283a29c3251a1.png

0622Europe.thumb.png.033e0714c90271f89ced8d4d7a8a8305.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone!

Yes, our thunder bumpers from Friday and Saturday finally arrived yesterday afternoon.   Right after I finished power washing the front porch.   The porch needs a day or two to dry out and then I will put the water seal on it.  

@St. Louis Sal Happy Belated Anniversary.

@mamaofamiI am glad you had a nice visit with Sam and that he was not hurt in his fall.  

I hope all the Fathers had a wonderful day yesterday.   From what I read, it sounds like they did.

Today's meal sounds great.  I might skip the peach sauce due to the sugar content, though.   I did grill some shrimp last night between rain storms and had it on salad.  Wonderful!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/grilled-shrimp-with-peach-cocktail-sauce-7147494

1841263647_GrilledShrimpwithPeachCocktailSauce.jpeg.54f5f0993cb420fe5aaf275a0e054057.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the skateboarding and yoga but love sea shells.  I have not been to Otaru although I think it may have started out on my Grand Asia but lost in a shuffle of the itinerary when China threw a hissy fit about us visiting Korea and we had to change the Japan ports.  I love the quote.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the shrimp.  My alternative is Fruit Salad with Yogurt and Honey, and Crispy Country-Style Buttermiilk Chicken, my embarkation luncheon on the Prinsendam May 20, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Colorado wildfires

From the rotation:

Mary229's sister resting after treatment for agressive cancer
Wandb’s sister undergoing agressive chemo
Cruising-along’s cousin rejecting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Quartzite Cruiser visiting with DD’s

Ger_77 annual cemetery cleanup

lindaler’s sister coming to visit

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

HorizonChaser1957's daughters headed home

StLouisCruiser with family in Ohio

Birthday lunch for Tbay’s DS

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Good Monday morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  I will not be skateboarding because I don't need a broken bone.😄

Yoga would be good.

Good quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good to me, I hope I have some shrimp in the freezer.  Thanks for the recipe @dfish.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and drink of the day.

Prayers for us all.

Hope today is the start of a great week for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 21

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  What a fun collection of days, none of which I’ll be participating in though.  Interesting quote.  The shrimp sounds pretty good.  Look forward to the photos of today’s port.  Have a nice Monday everyone and prayers to all on our prayer list.

• Like 21

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Monday smile 🙂 

That’s an interesting collection of days.  I’ll only celebrate Sea Shell day 😉 

488FF2AA-FE77-411E-9627-5749E65E528F.jpeg.ac94c7bd360fa99e7c0a0530219784d6.jpeg

I like that William Feather quote and the meal suggestion sounds good, too.  Looking forward to hearing about the Riesling.

E7B302DE-BCA9-4F12-8697-AA3F3CD53D13.thumb.jpeg.a081423a35da8226377181e6ddaebbbc.jpeg

Another tropical storm?  For crying out loud!  Hopefully Claudette turns into a post tropical storm 🤞 

DH and I are off to get our last vaccination today.  I see wine on the menu tonight to celebrate or prep for Claudette - either way, wine it will be. 😉 

EB847F0A-DF3C-479F-BB8C-A3EA1CECD593.jpeg.d1de2b9f4ffe57f67a41a33ae6ea24af.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone!  

8B666BD3-7E52-4573-8448-A6F233217D77.thumb.jpeg.855e05f1b7b374040cdedbca4bc6bafa.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good  morning  on  an  very  humid  Monday morning. The  showers  arrived  last  night  ju st  prior  to  dessert  after  our  Father's day  BBQ. We  bolted  into  my  kitchen  for  dessert, a  chocolate  cream  pie courtesy  of  DD.  DD  and  I then  ferried  the  food  across  town  to  our  Tana  and  son along  with  some  other  meals  for  the  week. 

It  was  a  wicked  thunder  and  lightening  storm on  our  way  back  home  and  very  dramatic  as  we  were  driving  from  one  hill  to  another.  I  like  the  term "thunder  bumpers"    @dfish. It  describes  it  perfectly. I  also  like  the recipe  today  but  will  wait  until  peaches  are  tasting  better  here.

Skateboarding  is  not  something  I  ever  wanted  to  do  and  I  never  really  enjoyed  yoga  when  I  tried  it  a  few  times  over  the  years. Sea  shells   are  lovely  to  collect  and  later  admire.

@St. Louis Sal, belated  Happy  Anniversary  to  you  and  DH. I  hope  you  had  a  wonderful  dinner  out.

I  look  forward  to  pictures  from  the  port  of  the  day.

Terry

• Like 25

Good Morning. Skateboarding sounds like an express ticket to the emergency room - I'll pass. we're luck to live near some of the best shelling sites in the world. I love the idea of life being a grand adventure.  The shrimp would be a great appetiser. Stay safe everyone.

• Like 20

Thank you for our Daily, Rich! What a combination of days! I better pass on Skateboarding Day! I will celebrate Yoga Day by going to a class that combines an aerobic 30 minute workout using large exercise balls with a Yoga-esque ending using the same balls. Love looking at sea shells!

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyite family! A bit of a cloudy morning here. It helps to keep the temperature down. And the humidity seems to have decreased overnight. A couple of bucks stopped by for breakfast, but the pickings were slim so they moved on.  What a great quote! Like the sound of the meal. Another cleaver name for a drink.  Enjoy your day everyone!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Hermann J. Wiemer 2018 Reserve Dry Riesling (Seneca Lake) Finger Lakes

This dry Riesling deserves a try. It has excellent ratings and a decent price. Several online distributors with prices starting at $25.62. Perhaps I can find it for less locally. Ever in search of a dry, well-balanced Riesling, I am adding it to my list. 

Winemaker Notes

#55 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

The finest qualities of the estate are expressed in Hermann J. Wiemer's Reserve Dry Riesling, an exclusive wine spotlighting unique characteristics from all three of their vineyard sites. Small selections of grapes are meticulously chosen from specifically identified lots, which are fermented separately and then blended to create the exquisite balance of juiciness, freshness, and minerality displayed in this specialty bottling. A brilliant, tangy nose heralds a burst of stone fruit and citrus zest on the palate. Fruit and minerality play into a lingering finish that continues to make the mouth water long after the wine is gone.

WE93 Wine Enthusiast: Sourced from three estate vineyards (15% HJW, 20% Magdalena and 65% Josef), this reserve offers ripe aromas of apple, pineapple and apricot that are delicately perfumed with ginger and blossoms. Rounded in feel, the palate shows pineapple and peach, lifted by reverberating jolts of lemon peel and white tea. It shows great texture and depth, ending dry and stony. 
W&S92 Wine & Spirits: Flinty and green at first, this leads with scents of lime and green apple, high toned but not too tart. The flavors are supple and rich, with a texture that has some give, and yet the acidity is the lasting impression, leaving a mild spiciness that suggests a pairing with Thai yellow curry.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  So humid this morning.  No skateboarding.  But a funny.  DH was going to show our DD how to do it.  He got on, it went out from under him and shot across the street into our neighbors yard.  DD and I were laughing so hard.  Haven't tried Yoga yet and love to look for shells.  The meal looks and sounds wonderful. I've printed the recipe for a later time.  Have not been to today's port.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.  Virtual hugs to all of our adopted family.

Stay safe, please continue to social distance and wear your mask.

Could not find Another Brick in the Wall recipe so this is just a Brick Wall.

Brick Wall

1.5oz apple cider syrup (see below)
1.5oz Woodford Reserve Bourbon Whiskey bourbon
Ginger ale
Lime wedge
1 slice green apple (if you’re into garnishes)

Combine equal parts syrup and bourbon in an ice-filled glass. Top off glass with a bit of ginger ale. Squeeze in lime. Optional: garnish with apple slice.

Apple cider syrup

Bring 0.25 cup sugar, 5 cracked allspice berries, 4 whole cloves and 0.75 inches of ginger root (peeled and sliced very thin) up to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes. Kill heat and let steep for 90 minutes. Let cool and strain. The recipe here claims to make enough for 10 drinks, but that’s wrong. By my calculation, it makes enough for about 5.5 drinks.

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 7.40.48 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Good morning all!

Got woken up before 5 am with thunder and lightning and it’s still thunder and rain.

Thank you, thank you for all the good wishes for our anniversary. We had a lovely dinner last night. We brought home some leftovers to enjoy today. Our waiter brought us a lovely dessert of butter cake, fresh berries and ice cream, no leftovers on that 😉.

No skateboarding for me although my oldest nephew was really into it when he was young. I used to visit the skateboarding shops to buy him stuff for his birthday.  I have done yoga before, I like tai chi better. I am an off and on exerciser, sometimes more off than on. 

The Riesling sounds lovely. I had a good Cabernet from Paso Robles las night. 

Haven’t been to the destination before, looking forward to pictures.

Prayers 🙏 for all in need of healing. And here’s to good tines to celebrate 🍷.

St Louis Sal

• Like 23

@tjcox9 thank you for the nice photos of Otaru, Japan, a place I have never visited before.  Looks interesting!

Good morning Dailyites!  After a good night's sleep we are feeling refreshed.  DH is having some sore neck problems but treats it with Advil and hopefully that will ease soon.

I'm happy to see that our care list is shorter, though those who are on it have some serious issues to deal with and I pray that things are looking brighter for them very soon.  Congrats to all on the celebration list and a big cheer for all who have something to celebrate.

The skateboarding day reminds me of DS when he was a young boy.  He was very good at it and I'm sure we never had to go to the ER for any broken bones.  I don't do yoga but I should.   I love sea shells and remember a trip to Sanibel Island once where seashells are abundant.  The menu suggestion for today looks yummy and I wouldn't mind trying it.  

Today is one of those days where we don't have any plans and will wait to see what feels right.  Have a wonderful day!

• Like 21

Good Morning Everyone from a cloudy but warm day at the beach

No skateboarding for me, but I do like yoga. Love Seashells and have a few on my kitchen windowsill. Meal selection looks good. 

Have not been to todays port. I do enjoy the pictures that are posted.

Thinking of everyone and hope that today will be a good one .

Off to water aerobics.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 19

National Seashell Day is worth celebrating. I love collecting shells from the beaches I’ve visited. The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum on Sanibel has an app for your phone that will identify any shell you find, just take a picture. They also have some zoom lectures that are quite interesting. 

St Louis Sal

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I don't think skateboarding would be good for any of us at this stage of life.  I haven't done yoga, but would like to try it; I'm sure it would help maintain flexibility.  Love seashells, especially the part where you collect them - that means being on a beach, warm weather, and a BHB nearby.

It is also National Indigenous Peoples Day in Canada - so to my fellow Canadians who share in this heritage, enjoy the day!

A busy Monday here on the "frozen tundra"; I have to call for an appointment for our dear Sochi to have a haircut.  Despite daily brushings she still gets mats of fur along her hips and back, so it's time to have a "lion shave" which will also keep her cooler during the heat of summer.  Then I have to make an appointment to get my nails done, and after that, who knows, likely laundry.  Ugh.

I love today's menu suggestion, and as mentioned previously, I think it would make a great appetizer.  The bite of horseradish with the sweetness of peaches would make a nice dip.  @rafinmd you just listed my favourite HAL boarding lunch - their buttermilk chicken.  They've taken it off the boarding day lunch menu and it sometimes appears on the dinner selections.  For us though, I've got some pork chops thawing that DH will barbecue along with potato packets and a side salad.  That's what's happening on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to celebrate all on the happy list.  Cheers to @kazu and DH for getting their 2nd jabs today!   Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your masks!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm looking forward to hearing from @Himselfthis morning -- I saw on the news that a tornado touched down in Naperville last night. Father, please let us know that you are okay!

I haven't tried skateboarding, I have containers of seashells all over the house, and my one attempt at yoga before the pandemic resulted in surgery for a torn medial meniscus. Needless to say, I decided yoga was not for me!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1