Aft Cabins.

chromered7

My Wife love’s Aft cabins and she likes to see the wake of the ship as it travels through the water and it some cases the balconies can be bigger. Personally I don’t care as long it’s a well positioned balcony which has an unobstructed view. I was just wondering how many cruisers prefer an Aft cabin as opposed to a normal balcony and the reason why you like Aft cabins.

• Like 1

Historically we have booked the family cabins on Celebrity's ships.  Most of the time they were located aft (C and M Class).  Having said that, we do enjoy watching the wake of the ship and you can see the view that both sides of the ship get.  Their balconies are also more sheltered from any wind.

Edited by mahdnc

Although we don't book them exclusively, we love aft cabins. While some complain about the distance from the elevators, we view that as a benefit, both because of the additional exercise and the fact that we never having groups of noisy people walking by our cabin. Views are great, both of the wake and prop-wash when underway, and of the shore in most cases when in port. I don't know what the statistics reflect, but can't recall a single time when we've had an aft cabin and we've docked with the stern or the ship facing out to sea. Soot used to be much more of a problem, but far less so since scrubbers were introduced. What soot does get through is cleaned up by the cabin stewards. Docking in port can create some vibration, but it's generally short lived and we are usually up and on our balcony as we approach port.

Bottom line: listen to your wife! 😇

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chromered7 said:

My Wife love’s Aft cabins and she likes to see the wake of the ship as it travels through the water and it some cases the balconies can be bigger. Personally I don’t care as long it’s a well positioned balcony which has an unobstructed view. I was just wondering how many cruisers prefer an Aft cabin as opposed to a normal balcony and the reason why you like Aft cabins.

We love aft balconies. Great view, quieter, larger balconies. We like suites as well, but an aft balcony is a great alternative. 

We always book aft cabins if we can get them for the same reasons already stated above.  They are getting more difficult to book especially on the Edge class ships most likely due to them being the few cabins with real balconies.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dkjretired said:

In Alaska I would book only an Aft cabin since there are sights and especially wildlife that you would miss if your veranda is on one side.

Forward facing whenever possible for me.  Much rather see where I am going than where I have been.

• Like 1

Have done an aft cabin 8353 on the Silhouette, an aft cabin on EDGE and an aft cabin on Constellation - so all types of Celebrity ship.

Though the balcony on constellation was larger we found the others far more private as the side partition on Connie had gaps and the family next door were noisy when out there.

The best aft cabin was EDGE - lovely size and no vibration

Having said that we had 8353 on Silly 3 times so obviously loved that too

Have had aft cabins on P&O as well ---- just love being at the back and watching the wake.

Oh to be back

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chromered7 said:

Keep in mind, if you book an aft cabin, you will burn some calories walking to the restaurants, to the shop, to the theater, 😜

• Like 1

Glad to hear the positive points of an aft cabin.  We booked our first one a few days ago for Alaska in 2022.  The price difference from a regular veranda was not that much different.  We started cruising with inside cabins, moved up to ocean view, now always veranda, our next cruise is on the bump, guess we are working up to a suite some day, perhaps 2023.

Booked my first SV on Solstice sailing from Hawaii to Vancouver...and I have been hooked ever since.  Sadly, my Reflection TA in a SV was just cancelled today.  I was looking forward to watching the wake as we crossed the Atlantic.  😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lola2013 said:

Booked my first SV on Solstice sailing from Hawaii to Vancouver...and I have been hooked ever since.  Sadly, my Reflection TA in a SV was just cancelled today.  I was looking forward to watching the wake as we crossed the Atlantic.  😂

I am sorry to hear that.  I know how disappointing that must be.

• Like 1

I tend to only book a cruise if there is an aft facing balcony (sunset verandah) open. If all are sold out, I will usually look for another sail date. 

It would have to be a unique itinerary for me to sail on a ship and not be aft. 

The views and size of the balcony is what I enjoy the most about them. 

• Like 1

There are disadvantages to aft cabins. Definitely a longer walk to other areas of the ship and also more motion in stormy weather. However, an aft view offers something very special....

Somehow an aft view just reflects you are...

leaving behind every day problems,

entering the world of being looked after,

know you can focus on rest and relaxation,

spend time just doing nothing if you want to...

...or look forward to adventures to come...

I don’t know why an aft view is so special I just know from experience it is!

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

I have only sailed on Summit (M class). I love those Aqua aft cabins. Balconies are wonderful and stairs are close to get to the back bar.

Laura

We love the Aqua aft cabins for exactly the same reasons as you. Quick to pop to the bar and bring drinks back, and food from the buffet.

We were very disappointed when Summit Bermuda was cancelled in '20 and '21, as we had AQ aft 1141 each time and we were super excited about it.  We've never had aft before, but we kept plugging.  Aft corner on deck 6 on Sillie's TA in November, and a an aft corner on deck 8 for the Eq 2022/2023 holiday sail.  Can't wait!!

Edited by marieps

1 hour ago, marieps said:

We were very disappointed when Summit Bermuda was cancelled in '20 and '21, as we had AQ aft 1141 each time and we were super excited about it.  We've never had aft before, but we kept plugging.  Aft corner on deck 6 on Sillie's TA in November, and a an aft corner on deck 8 for the Eq 2022/2023 holiday sail.  Can't wait!!

Yes we had afts booked for 20 and 21 that were cancelled. We have #1141 for Summit to Bermuda 2022.

Laura

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Forward facing whenever possible for me.  Much rather see where I am going than where I have been.

Do any Celebrity ships have forward facing cabins with verandas?