The Daily for Wednesday Jun 23, 2021

richwmn

A few of the stops on my New York city tour from our Rotterdam cruise in 2018.

Sailing into New Yorkenhance

enhance

One World Trade Center, on the site of the Twin Towersenhance

enhance

The Survivor tree, the only tree on the site of the collapsed Twin Towers to make it through the devastation.enhance

Mural on wall of fire department across the street.enhance

New York Stock Exchangeenhance

The bull on Wall Streetenhance

The Statue of Liberty as we were sailing away from New York in the early eveningenhance

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Wednesday Daily, Rich.  A special salute to public servants.  I'm not really a fan of pink flamingos but that's a hangup I'll let go.  Love the Wright quote.  New York is a fantastic city.  The meal of the day sounds nice.  My alternative is birthday cake with a gang of waiters around the table singing their song.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Western wildfires

RIP St. Louis Sal’s friend

atexsix back pains

From the rotation:
bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
mamaofami DH Sam in rehab until about 7/4
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Birthdays for me and Vmax1700

Attaimment day for Sharon

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

lindaler’s sister visiting

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

StLouisCruiser with family in Ohio

Dfish feeling better

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Happy Birthday to you and VMax1700

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!

Happy birthday wishes to @rafinmdRoy and @VMax1700Colin - hoping your day is wonderful!

Since I live on Long Island, I don't consider New York to be a port of the day where I would take photos.  Also, since I'm not a big city person, I hardly ever go there!  Thanks to all for the pictures of the sights in the city, some of which I've never seen.

Prayers for all on our Care list...cheers to all on the Celebration list.  Stay safe so we can all meet and sing Happy Birthday to each other on a BHB soon!!

Laura

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Wednesday Daily, Rich.  A special salute to public servants.  I'm not really a fan of pink flamingos but that's a hangup I'll let go.  Love the Wright quote.  New York is a fantastic city.  The meal of the day sounds nice.  My alternative is birthday cake with a gang of waiters around the table singing their song.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Western wildfires

RIP St. Louis Sal’s friend

atexsix back pains

From the rotation:
bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
mamaofami DH Sam in rehab until about 7/4
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Birthdays for me and Vmax1700

Attaimment day for Sharon

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

lindaler’s sister visiting

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

StLouisCruiser with family in Ohio

Dfish feeling better

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Happy birthday, roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I'll post just a few photos from the Big Apple before heading off to the Cardiologist (I plan on lunch afterwards so won't be posting for a while).  First, my current favorite landmark there:

schoenfeld.jpg

One of the things I've often done when in New York is walk across the bridges that make Manhattan an island and I discovered this at the New Jersey end of the bridge:

memorial.jpg

Officer Reynolds was assigned to patrol the bridge but when the towers were hit he was diverted to the World Trade Center and lost when one of the towers collapsed.

Finally, I sailed QM2 to Europe in 2014 and returned on the Wind Star.  As we left I watched the Maasdam sail out just ahead of us:

maasdam7.jpg

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for the daily and care reports.

Happy birthday to everyone whose birthday it is today.

We went back to Harrogate today and just had lunch.

Pauline went to the shops first.

We sailed from New York in January 2011 on RCG Liberty of the seas to the Caribbean and back.

We had a few days pre and post cruise in New York and visited Ground Zero.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

IMG_20210623_110804.jpg

IMG-20210623-WA0002.jpg

IMG_20210623_121112.jpg

This was outside the hotel then we went to a nearby Designer outlet.

Graham

IMG_20210623_125321.jpg

IMG_20210623_143425.jpg

• Like 21

@rafinmd   🎂 🎈  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROY! 🥂

@VMax1700  🎈 🎂  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, COLIN! 🥂

Good morning, from a cloudy, humid central Texas.

UN Public Service Day is a good way to salute all who do public service.  I'm sure there are still things I need to let go.  Like the pink flamingo birds, which are born white and turn pink from the shrimp they like to eat.  But I will pass on the yard variety of the bird.

Like Wright's quote.  I like lamb but not meatballs while DH likes meatballs but not lamb, so we'll pass on the meal suggestion.  Add me to the list of those wanting to be at a table  on a BHB with the waiters singing Happy Birthday.  Today's wine is the one that is my go-to white wine. both because I like it and the price.

@dfish  So glad that your are feeling better and felling like doing things today.

We have been to NYC many times beginning in 1966 when a college journalism professor took a group of students to NYC to visit various media outlets and related businesses.  Four of us even got to sit in the studio during a broadcast of the Huntley, Brinkley Report, which was done without an audience.

Starting three years later, DH and I made many day trips to the city while he was stationed at Picatinny Arsenal in Dover, NJ.  On Sunday mornings, we were 45 minutes from Times Square by car, but we'd park on Governors Island as it was still an active military facility.  NYC was the only place I could show DH around.  

We've sailed out of NYC three times, once on the Rotterdam, once on the old Regal Princess and once on Tahitian Princess.  The first two were also roundtrips, so we've sailed into NYC twice.   In 2011, It was a port on our Prinsndam TA.  I'll check my pictures to see what I have that is different.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
Correction
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

@kazuGlad to hear you are both feeling better today.  Went with DD and DSI on Monday for our second jabs.  I was tired yesterday and my arm was sore, but feel good today.  They both had headaches and were tired yesterday, and DD had a VERY sore and red swollen arm.  I thought they would fare better than than older me.  All well worth the protection.  Glad to have it done.  Love the flower pictures.  You have a beautiful yard.

• Like 16

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  

First of all, and most importantly, a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to @rafinmd and @VMax1700, I wish you both the best of days and a wonderful year ahead!

Kudos to the public service workers at the UN, sometimes it's hard to let it go, and who doesn't like watching flamingos, especially the parade at Aruba?  In our house, there is another word for Thesaurus:  Gerry.  

Speaking of flamingos, for DH's 50th birthday (30 years ago), his friends got together and bought and installed 50 pink flamingos on our lawn under cover of darkness.  It caused such a stir that CBC television came to our home and interviewed him - the segment ultimately aired on the noon news across Canada, resulting in a phone call from friends on the other side of the country calling to wish him a happy birthday because they'd seen him on television.

I like today's menu suggestion, as I love lamb, but DH doesn't, so I'll have to wait to order it from a menu, or just enjoy thinking about it.  For us, there's a grocery list waiting to be filled, so I think we're just going to be having a "whatever" night - whatever's in the fridge, just help yourself.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your masks!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I know @erewhon mentioned the other day about it being the shortest day of the year, so I thought I'd show you what it looks like at 10PM on the "frozen tundra" on the same day, the longest day of the year.  We can sit outside and easily read the newspaper with the remaining daylight.

827770159_TenPM.JPG.062d2d48eb677429869fa80acca0b91a.JPG

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning,

It's been decided for sure that I will be evacuating to a hotel for the weekend, 105 without air conditioning just isn't going to work for me, Dear Dad will be out of town.  But right now the temperature is delightful, a breezy 58 degrees.

@rafinmd Thanks for the care list addition and happy birthday!

@richwmn Thanks for the today's daily

@VMax1700 Happy Birthday!

@dfish I'm in the same boat, if 1 person out of 100 is listed as having a weird reaction to medication, I will be that 1 person

@aliaschief Your in my thoughts, I'm still not over the cancellation of our Hawaii cruise last year, after 10 months of anticipation

Much of the day will be devoted to getting Dear Dad ready for his Portland trip tomorrow.  

Have a great Wednesday everybody!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. 

Funny quote.

Good meal and drinks.

I have been to today's port on my Panama Canal cruise LA to NYC. Also growing up in NJ there were many trips to NYC to shop and see theater.

Brrr. We started off at 46° today, but will go up into the mid 70's. Time for some yard work at last.

@rafinmd Happy Birthday! 🎂

@VMax1700 Happy Birthday!

@dfish I'm glad you're feeling better.

@St. Louis Sal Condolences on the loss of your friend.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

We arrived in NY very early, before sunrise.

Passing under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

640520211_001-11_24.19PassingundertheVerrazano-NarrowsBridgesailingintoNYConNCLBliss(phone).thumb.jpg.50b1094db3ee81d11b943167e86aaed6.jpg

The Statue of Liberty (it was hard to focus with the dark and the ship movement)

1947149907_009-11_24.19StatueofLiberty.thumb.jpg.221229333a076c29fbfd15d8263e3220.jpg

1996537247_017-11_24.19StatueofLiberty.thumb.jpg.37cf6a305569a2c0af8e546a41019076.jpg

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

First of all, Happy Birthday to Roy @rafinmdand Colin @VMax1700!!  So wish we were all on a BHB singing to you and sharing birthday cake!

Debbie @dfishSO glad it was just a 24-hour bug -- what a relief.  

@St. Louis SalI'm so sorry to hear about the death of your friend.

Today we're going to be with the grandsons for a few hours, DD's nanny can't be there today.  On Monday the older one will be getting his cast removed -- yay!  We're all amazed at how good he's been through it, never complained once.   I'm sure I complained more when I broke my finger a few years ago and had to wear a cast. I know he'll be so happy to be able to go swimming again, he loves the water.

We've been to NYC a few times and once on a cruise.  We and Rich @richwmntook the hop on hop off that day and had what we all agreed was excellent pizza near the 9-11 memorial.  

695044600_StatueofLiberty2017.jpg.9b71669cd79dd2d2d2a2695f03a2b560.jpg

NYC.jpg.6d3784201644e4f1376f9fce986875d0.jpg

995203777_HardRock.jpg.3f0ea0a7a6bcef25a7554135e9ba0dd4.jpg

One World Trade Center

781881757_OneWorldTradeCenter2017.thumb.jpg.701cf3ca7b0c1f93dc9f74975c767df3.jpg

Spot where John Lennon was killed at the Dakota Building

83105424_whereJohnLennonwaskilledatDakotaBuilding.jpg.0b093487501964580a3ef9622c9d9321.jpg

Times Square

1894101265_TimesSquare.thumb.jpg.1d63965f9de107f9ff951acbcbfbde1b.jpg

Metal cross at the 9-11 Memorial

2048921495_Metalcross9-11Memorial.thumb.jpg.b20f25a520ed0e7139fe6c0ded97f786.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2