Polo shirts

xoxbear

7 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I have done so many times.  But not on formal nights (whatever they call them now, something chic).

Wearing a Polo is my Evening Chic. Unless something has changed Evening Chic only applies to the main dining room.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, xoxbear said:

Can my husband wear a polo shirt for dinner?  We have a 5 night Caribbean cruise booked on the Constellation in November.

Yes he can. We always do SD (MDR) and I always wear a polo/golf style shirt with dockers every evening. 

25 minutes ago, xoxbear said:

Can my husband wear a polo shirt for dinner?  We have a 5 night Caribbean cruise booked on the Constellation in November.

Are you referring to a collarless t shirt or a 3 button collared "Polo" shirt??? 

Here is the post from Celebrity website. I’ll let all of you interpret as you wish:

Formal Night gets a modern reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Are you referring to a collarless t shirt or a 3 button collared "Polo" shirt??? 

A polo shirt is a pullover collared shirt with an open placket made famous by Lacoste  and then Ralph Lauren. The term is not  applied to a T-shirt.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

A polo shirt is a pullover collared shirt with an open placket made famous by Lacoste  and then Ralph Lauren. The term is not  applied to a T-shirt.

True today. Polo players historically wore daily heavy weight cotton shirts with open collars. The players put buttons and button holes on them to keep the collars from flapping. Brooks Brothers decided to make a version in Oxford cloth with a button down collar..

Truly meaningless trivia, but sort of fun. But I’ve certainly worn short sleeve collared knit shirts pretty much any night on Celebrity!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

No, it applies ship wide 

Absolutely not, hasn’t applied ship wide in at least 15 years: Evening Chic applies only to the MDR, not Specialties, Blu or Luminae.  You will see many in the rest of the ship in shorts and t shirts, etc.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Absolutely not, hasn’t applied ship wide in at least 15 years: Evening Chic applies only to the MDR, not Specialties, Blu or Luminae.  You will see many in the rest of the ship in shorts and t shirts, etc.

Look at the actual Celebrity posting. It states: 

“..The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.”

yes. Seen shorts and t’s in the evenings all over the place.. But they are asking all to follow the very minimal dress codes.

I don’t care what people wear; posting this since it’s what is being requested for All restaurants and the theater. Wear what you want but don’t try to infer shorts and T’s are  what the guidelines allow - they are not. 

den

43 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

You are mistaken

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Only in the buffet or hamburger stand if open!

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Look at the actual Celebrity posting. It states: 

“..The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.”

yes. Seen shorts and t’s in the evenings all over the place.. But they are asking all to follow the very minimal dress codes.

I don’t care what people wear; posting this since it’s what is being requested for All restaurants and the theater. Wear what you want but don’t try to infer shorts and T’s are  what the guidelines allow - they are not. 

den

This is also from Celebrity.

Specialty Restaurants (Including Luminae for our Suite Class guests and Blu for our AquaClass® Guests) The dress code in Celebrity’s Specialty Restaurants is Smart Casual for every night of your cruise. Evening Chic attire is only required in the main dining room on your “Evening Chic nights.” Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. dated 5/2020

Den, you must have misunderstood what I was saying. We all should follow the dress code. 

What the statement is saying to me is if I have dinner at the buffet or by the pool and I'm not dressed to a Smart Casual level, that I need to change before going to the theater.

15047638_CEL_Evening_Chic_Overview_Flyer.pdf

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

Specialty Restaurants (Including Luminae for our Suite Class guests and Blu for our AquaClass® Guests) The dress code in Celebrity’s Specialty Restaurants is Smart Casual for every night of your cruise. Evening Chic attire is only required in the main dining room on your “Evening Chic nights.” Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. dated 5/2020

Den, you must have misunderstood what I was saying. We all should follow the dress code. 

What the statement is saying to me is if I have dinner at the buffet or by the pool and I'm not dressed to a Smart Casual level, that I need to change before going to the theater.

15047638_CEL_Evening_Chic_Overview_Flyer.pdf 983.34 kB · 0 downloads

Fun reading all the Directives isn’t it!

den

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

15047638_CEL_Evening_Chic_Overview_Flyer.pdf 983.34 kB · 0 downloads

You are technically correct but they haven’t enforced the dress code in the theater in years.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Sports jersey worn over a white button down long sleeve collar shirt, Y/N/Maybe?

Are you 14?  Do you live north of the Mason Dixon line?  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

You are mistaken

Another way to see that I am correct is to go into the website under the restaurants section. Each restaurant in the fleet is listed with the dress code and the only restaurant listed with Evening chic is the MDR.   As far as the rest of the ship, you are just totally incorrect, dress code in the rest of the ship went out years ago. This hasn’t been an issue on this board for years.

Edited by dkjretired

My husband no longer brings dress shirts--pain to pack.

He wears a polo/golf shirt to dinner EVERY NIGHT--and we eat in MDR for the most part.

No one has ever said boo. 

Celebrity has been 4 of our last 5 cruises...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1