Just off the Century - yes, really.

sandancer

Ok, so it’s not called Century anymore. It’s now Marella Explorer 2. But to us getting back on this ship (despite not having Celebrity food or level of service) was great. We sailed Mercury, Galaxy and Century in the past.  The Century in 1999. As soon as we walked into the MDR with those long aft windows we were back. For an old girl she’s looking pretty good. We love the newer ships and apart from the E class (cancelled x 2) we have just about covered the fleet. However, it was so good to be on a ship and the fact that it was an old Celebrity ship was a bonus. 

• Like 10

I liked the touches of vintage ocean liner on Century. We sailed her to Hawaii from San Diego round trip 8 years ago and have fond memories. 

The food was very good and I ordered fish or other seafood almost every night and was never disappointed. We had wonderful waiter, assistant, and attentive wine steward and sat at a roomy two-top in a corner, adjacent to a window in the dining room. Murano on that ship was really outstanding. The wine events were very good - we’ll never forget the chief wine steward’s demonstration of Sabrage at a champagne tasting.

The officers’ party for Captain’s Club members was by far the nicest one I’ve ever seen - a variety of food stations with chefs doing final prep and serving several hot dishes. Waiters everywhere. A nice presentation of beautiful flowers to the couple that had the highest number of days sailing X.

Glad I had a chance to see Celebrity as it used to be. The Captain’s party on Edge was practically non-existent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

liked the touches of vintage ocean liner on Century. We sailed her to Hawaii from San Diego round trip 8 years ago and have fond memories. 

We were on her Honolulu to San Diego in March 2012.

Loved her.

We booked her final sailing, Dubai to Rome,  Easter 2015.

Unfortunately, she was redeployed early to Asia ( she should have been going to Cadiz for a refit).

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

Ok, so it’s not called Century anymore. It’s now Marella Explorer 2. But to us getting back on this ship (despite not having Celebrity food or level of service) was great. We sailed Mercury, Galaxy and Century in the past.  The Century in 1999. As soon as we walked into the MDR with those long aft windows we were back. For an old girl she’s looking pretty good. We love the newer ships and apart from the E class (cancelled x 2) we have just about covered the fleet. However, it was so good to be on a ship and the fact that it was an old Celebrity ship was a bonus. 

It was extensively refurbished by TUI a year or two ago.  Hopefully still has the same charm and character!

Century (April 2007, 5 nights out of Miami, Sky Suite) was our first cruise and we loved it.  Set a very high bar for what we expected for a cruise.  And while we love cruising (19 more cruises since our Century experience, mostly on Celebrity), nothing quite lives up to our memories of 

that Century cruise. Michael's Club was a lovely, intimate piano lounge with an actual original Picasso print hanging over the fireplace.  We were spoiled.

David

• Like 1

Century (when she was with X) is the ship that I've actually spent the most nights on -- since we first started cruising (30-odd years ago). I really miss her! With her various retrofits over the years, she had some rather unique cabins.(On our cruise to Hawaii, I organized our r/c's cabin crawl.) SO glad to hear that, with all of the upheavals in the cruise industry, this past year -- she did NOT end up on the breaking-beaches of Bangladesh!

Edited by wwcruisers

1 hour ago, d&a Delaware said:

Century (April 2007, 5 nights out of Miami, Sky Suite) was our first cruise and we loved it.  Set a very high bar for what we expected for a cruise.  And while we love cruising (19 more cruises since our Century experience, mostly on Celebrity), nothing quite lives up to our memories of 

that Century cruise. Michael's Club was a lovely, intimate piano lounge with an actual original Picasso print hanging over the fireplace.  We were spoiled.

David

We took our first Celebrity cruise on Century a few months earlier.  A really classic ship.  I remembered the beautiful wood on the ship and also the Piano Bar.  Service was outstanding as was the food.  I recall being approached by a Cuban Navy ship as we got close to that island.  Good memories.  

We sailed her penultimate cruise in 2015, Singapore to Dubai. 

It was the central cruise of her fairwell tour. Hong Kong to Rome in 3 legs. 

There were a lot of folks who had booked all 3 legs and when the final leg, Dubai to Rome through the Suez Canal,  was changed to a return of the 2nd leg, decided to move to an alternate line. This meant we sailed well under capacity. 

She was/is a beautiful ship. Even at the end of her life with Celebrity she was well cared for, if a little worn. 

It was actually a really fun cruise. People tended to band together with a last farewell feeling. The Roll Call was really active and there were lots of people joined the cruise at the last minute because the pricing had really bottomed out. 

If not for previous commitments for my time immediately post cruise I would have happily joined others booking the return journey while on board for both the ship and the ports.  

Thank you @sandancerfor evoking some wonderful memories.

Cheers, h. 

(Did you do a review if your trip anywhere? I’d be interested reading it to see if I wanted to give a not quite Century cruise a try.) 

No, I didn’t do a review. I don’t think it would be interesting enough to be honest. It was a 3 night UK Staycation. Basically a cruise to nowhere, just bobbing around off the UK coast. But hey, we were on a ship and it felt great. TUI refurbished the ship. The restrictions were fairly fierce. Only fully vaccinated UK adults. Covid test at the port.  Anyone stating that they are exempt from wearing a mask were kindly requested to go home!  Sailing at 50% capacity, masks unless in your cabin or on the open decks. No self service buffet (hooray). Table service in all bars. No ordering at the bar. Restaurant tables 2 tables apart. Theatre you had to leave 3 seats between parties. But you know, it was all ok. Felt very safe. It’s was so good to be on a ship and the fact that it was the old Century was the icing on the cake. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@sandancer 2 sets of friends have recently posted they were on this cruise. Bonus was the perfect British weather! Who would have ever thought you would get a sun tan in the North Sea!!!!  Are seacations here to stay??!

ps: I did Century to Russia 🇷🇺 in 2008.  Had a wonderful table right by those aft windows. 

Edited by little britain

The weather was a bonus and an even better one was that we were home 30 mins from leaving the ship. I was one of the people who scoffed when these Seacations went on sale. No way were we going to pay good money to go nowhere. How wrong I was. It was a great little break. 

• Like 1

Century was our first cruise (in 2003) after moving to USA! First love.

We sailed on her again in 2007 after balconies were added.

I am happy she is still sailing. Do you have pictures?

I can recollect booking a cruise ex- Florida for my long departed in-laws in the 90s. They loved it.  She looks really nice in her new livery.

We did a TUI Marcella cruise a few years ago in a since scrapped tub and enjoyed it although it had that English holiday camp feel to it. I would be happy to try again if the price was right but my wife says no. Some of the TUI itinerary’s are good and prices can bottom out as they are sold as a package holiday.

I imagine US tourists would be welcome on TUI Marcella cruises. I recollect an Airtour Caribbean cruise in 1999 where it was a mix of Brits and Canadians. 

I had the same view about the UK staycations as the poster. However when Celebrity re-arranged a decent itinerary mid-September I booked a Silhouette cruise😀

Century was also our very first Celebrity cruise. What a beauty she was and what a spectacular introduction to the line. Pure class all the way. We loved the grandeur, the decor and service and the thalassotherapy (sp?) pool. The new ones in the solarium can’t compare! So glad to hear  your experience with this grand lady!