Increased Cocktail Prices Making Premium Package Not all inclusive?

CruisinCorey2525

1 hour ago, CruisinCorey2525 said:

That I am aware of, so ultimately I'll  maybe spend $20 more oh no!! Not a big deal at all, but still a bit of a nuisance and mentally not as enjoyable since you are having to pay more in the end.

... or we can order drinks which are fully covered, as well.

The PBP is all inclusive for the items on the menu identified as "Premium" and not all items available on the ship and items considered "Super Premium".

Cheers and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, bama4cruisin said:

Classic up to $9.00; Premium Drink Package up to $15.00.  For cruises out of Great Britain and,I believe, Australia and New Zealand, the gratuity is included in the listed price , but the limits on both packages are increased accordingly.

OK.. Got it, I misread the OP position (Premium vs. Classic) .  My fault.  Sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HskrCrsr said:

I will give X the benefit of the doubt on the pricing at some bars/lounges and suggest that it is to keep people like me away, preserving the environment/experience for those who know more about drinking.

I am fairly new to drinking alcohol (used to dink Mtn Dew) and mostly drink pina coladas. My wife enjoys wine and has a palate capable of appreciating subtleties. I simply can't taste some of what she experiences. So on my (cancelled) cruise in 2020, I had planned to go around to various bars to see what else I might like. But being that I don't know what I am doing, I was not going to pay extra (even $1) for something I might not like. So the Martini Bar and Craft Social were places I mostly would avoid, allowing a better experience for those who appreciate those things. But if I had a specific wine in mind or wanted to learn about the art of making a martini, I might aim for a specific place/experience and pay extra.

So I think it is about preserving the experience rather than squeezing extra $$ from me. The "what can I get on my PBP" crowd will go elsewhere.

Very much enjoyed your demeanor within this post. I am sure that it speaks to the mien of many others who have concern and/or confusion about Celebrity's drink packages. My wife and I get the Premium package, not because we will get our money's worth from it but because it is much more convenient in all things drinkable. I have never been a fan of how X markets their alcohol/drink packages. Almost as if it is intended to be a covert operation where no one knows everything. Better ways to do it, no doubt.

Being fairly new, per you, to drinking alcohol "Always Included" should work just fine in the quest to increase your liquor knowledge. Being a Mtn Dew guy and liking Pina Coladas, it is obvious that sweet drinks work for you. You did not mention whether your PC is a virgin. If so, adding alcohol to it will kick it up a notch and any rum included in the classic package will work fine. No added cost. Plenty of other sweet drinks with all liquors are available and certainly do not require "Premium" . 

As for wine, you do not have to taste what your DW tastes. A sophisticated palate can detect the nuances of a good wine, but that is not required to enjoy a glass. Have her share a sip of whatever she is drinking. Also, order a glass for yourself of whatever is on the package you have. If you don't like it, leave it. It's already paid for.

Martini's and such are much different animals, requiring a much different approach.     

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HskrCrsr said:

I will give X the benefit of the doubt on the pricing at some bars/lounges and suggest that it is to keep people like me away, preserving the environment/experience for those who know more about drinking.

I am fairly new to drinking alcohol (used to dink Mtn Dew) and mostly drink pina coladas. My wife enjoys wine and has a palate capable of appreciating subtleties. I simply can't taste some of what she experiences. So on my (cancelled) cruise in 2020, I had planned to go around to various bars to see what else I might like. But being that I don't know what I am doing, I was not going to pay extra (even $1) for something I might not like. So the Martini Bar and Craft Social were places I mostly would avoid, allowing a better experience for those who appreciate those things. But if I had a specific wine in mind or wanted to learn about the art of making a martini, I might aim for a specific place/experience and pay extra.

So I think it is about preserving the experience rather than squeezing extra $$ from me. The "what can I get on my PBP" crowd will go elsewhere.

Actually, at most venues, including MB & CS, let them know which package you have and what they might offer that would be included.

There is no need to turn yourself away because of the package you happen to have...

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Very much enjoyed your demeanor within this post. I am sure that it speaks to the mien of many others who have concern and/or confusion about Celebrity's drink packages. My wife and I get the Premium package, not because we will get our money's worth from it but because it is much more convenient in all things drinkable. I have never been a fan of how X markets their alcohol/drink packages. Almost as if it is intended to be a covert operation where no one knows everything. Better ways to do it, no doubt.

Being fairly new, per you, to drinking alcohol "Always Included" should work just fine in the quest to increase your liquor knowledge. Being a Mtn Dew guy and liking Pina Coladas, it is obvious that sweet drinks work for you. You did not mention whether your PC is a virgin. If so, adding alcohol to it will kick it up a notch and any rum included in the classic package will work fine. No added cost. Plenty of other sweet drinks with all liquors are available and certainly do not require "Premium" . 

As for wine, you do not have to taste what your DW tastes. A sophisticated palate can detect the nuances of a good wine, but that is not required to enjoy a glass. Have her share a sip of whatever she is drinking. Also, order a glass for yourself of whatever is on the package you have. If you don't like it, leave it. It's already paid for.

Martini's and such are much different animals, requiring a much different approach.     

Thanks Spif, good advice, much appreciated. I am also not a fan of how the packages are marketed as it leads to a lot of confusion (thus this and many other threads - specialty coffees, sodas, smoothies).

In fact the Pina Coladas I favor do have the alcohol, and I am learning I like rum-based drinks most. And yes, the sweeter the better. DW does offer sips of wine and I actively dislike most. We have upgraded both of us to the Premium Package in the past specifically for the convenience and chance to try many more options without concern for cost.

So for me, the premium package lets me explore, and the added cost associated with some bars keeps me grounded for now.

Again, I very much appreciate your response and advice. Now I need to find a patient bartender who will offer the same.

4 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Actually, at most venues, including MB & CS, let them know which package you have and what they might offer that would be included.

There is no need to turn yourself away because of the package you happen to have...

Cheers and bon voyage

Thanks Bo, actually I do get the premium package, but I let the $15 ceiling guide my choices for now. I don't want to be ordering mudslides where others are experiencing the delicacies of good martinis. Slowly I shall work my way in. And I think the Mixology thing might be a good idea, too.

Cheer!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

Thanks Bo, actually I do get the premium package, but I let the $15 ceiling guide my choices for now. I don't want to be ordering mudslides where others are experiencing the delicacies of good martinis. Slowly I shall work my way in. And I think the Mixology thing might be a good idea, too.

Cheer!

Variations on the Martini theme are many, as you know. There is one that is quite popular and actually looks like a mudslide in a martini glass. Very popular at the MB. So, you'll fit right in.

• Thanks 1

My DW always gets the premium drink package because she likes the martinis at the Martini bar. Only mini martinis I’ve ever seen were when the flair bartenders did flights. She always got the larger martinis when she ordered and we never had to pay a dime. No slips or anything.

Maybe  since then prices have went up. I would have no problem paying a buck or two per drink to have a happy wife.

If I couldn’t afford a buck or two for drinks over the course of a cruise I guess I shouldn’t be cruising. We will see how things change in the future.

They do make great Martinis and are entertaining to watch do the flights.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 11:15 AM, jelayne said:

When we were on the Edge pre-pandemic there were 2 sizes of Martinis large -$15, extra large-$18.  The large was the same size at the martinis on the other ships Martini Bars.  
You can  get regular size martinis covered  by the Classic package at bars other than the Martini Bar.

Just a few years ago the martinis on all ships at the Martini Bar were of the size now considered extra large.  And they were covered in the Premium package.  For me, the first time I experienced the smaller Martini size was on EDGE in 2019.  I remember thinking what the heck is going on?  I now have to pay extra above the Premium rate (even if only $3) for something that was previously the size and price included? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Just a few years ago the martinis on all ships at the Martini Bar were of the size now considered extra large.  And they were covered in the Premium package.  For me, the first time I experienced the smaller Martini size was on EDGE in 2019.  I remember thinking what the heck is going on?  I now have to pay extra above the Premium rate (even if only $3) for something that was previously the size and price included? 

LOL t - I just two (2) at a time... more than makes up for the size difference...

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Kind of on-topic:

trying to decide to double my week-long vacation I'm trying to come up with and do a Millie sailing.  I don't drink mixed drinks, but I do like a nice glass of a quality vodka or rum (Grey Goose, Ketel One and Bacardi don't count).    First: would this be covered under Classic or Premium?  Second: does anyone have the list or know the high-end vodkas and rums onboard Celebrity?   TIA

3 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Kind of on-topic:

trying to decide to double my week-long vacation I'm trying to come up with and do a Millie sailing.  I don't drink mixed drinks, but I do like a nice glass of a quality vodka or rum (Grey Goose, Ketel One and Bacardi don't count).    First: would this be covered under Classic or Premium?  Second: does anyone have the list or know the high-end vodkas and rums onboard Celebrity?   TIA

Here's a place to start:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/05_07_SP_Beverage-Package-Flyer_051721.pdf

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

thank you!  Took a look and nothing in the Classic worth it.  Maybe the Zacapa 23 in the Premium but no vodkas that called to me.  Sigh.  I'll have to go with a shot with a splash of Rose's Lime to cover it up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yikes, that's ridiculous.  A pretty significant price increase if you do the math.  I wouldn't mind that much except the Martini Bar is the most popular bar on the ship and getting drink #2 can sometimes take quite awhile.  The stubborn (and maybe cheap) part of me refuses to go the route of ordering a larger size and paying more.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

thank you!  Took a look and nothing in the Classic worth it.  Maybe the Zacapa 23 in the Premium but no vodkas that called to me.  Sigh.  I'll have to go with a shot with a splash of Rose's Lime to cover it up.

We had already upgraded to premium for our Nov. Constellation cruise.  I was able to upgrade that to Drinks and More for a total of $90.  I thought it was a bargain!

7 minutes ago, LadyBerard said:

We had already upgraded to premium for our Nov. Constellation cruise.  I was able to upgrade that to Drinks and More for a total of $90.  I thought it was a bargain!

that's $90/day, right?  Could be a tad steep as I'm still trying to pull together funds to just be able to book the el-cheapo inside for myself!

1 minute ago, slidergirl said:

that's $90/day, right?  Could be a tad steep as I'm still trying to pull together funds to just be able to book the el-cheapo inside for myself!

$90 TOTAL for the 5 nights for the two of us.  We had previously upgraded to the premium package from our complimentary Classic Drink Package which had cost us $120.

I think there is some confusion as some of the prices quoted are from US sailings and some from UK. In the UK any gratuities must be included in the displayed price and I believe the same for Aus. so for UK sailings the package limit is nearer to $18 and in the US $15 but the onboard prices displayed in bar menus will be different depending on home port

1 hour ago, LadyBerard said:

$90 TOTAL for the 5 nights for the two of us.  We had previously upgraded to the premium package from our complimentary Classic Drink Package which had cost us $120.

I’m on the same cruise. I read on another board that Celebrity allows for just one person in the cabin to upgrade during the cruise. So. I could get the premium and my husband would keep the classic. Does anyone know if that is still true? Also how much would the increase be - I think it is based on remaining days of the cruise.