It looks like Celebrity is now requiring negative COVID test before boarding

jcpc

26 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Question:  why bother clicking the "please click here" to verify?

I don't think there is any downside to not verifying, and us clicking to verify just allows Celebrity to document we've read the email and use it against us later if needed.

I am curious - in what manner could they use it against you as long as you are abiding by what it says?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Mark,

Yes this is the issue.  No local sites for rapid testing if you are staying within the city of Seattle pre-cruise.  I wonder if the cruise lines leaving Seattle for Alaska understand this?

https://www.portseattle.org/sites/default/files/2020-11/DHMD %40 SEA FAQs FINAL.pdf

Will this do it?  A bit pricey, but...

47 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I am curious - in what manner could they use it against you as long as you are abiding by what it says?

Example scenario:

I am scrambling to schedule a test and am having a hard time for my sailing this weekend.

I hope to find a test last minute and did not cancel within 48 hours of sailing, so Cruise with Confidence guarantee gone.

Celebrity denies boarding and denies my request for FCC, because their system shows that I read their email at a certain date/time and I failed to live up to their new testing requirement despite explicitly acknowledging reading their notification.

Another example scenario:

I did schedule a test, but it was a PCR test because that was all that was available.  It is three days later and the test lab did not return my results, and I am at the pier feverishly refreshing my email inbox hoping that the lab results come back--it never did, and I am denied boarding and FCC because within 48-hr Cruise with Confidence.

Edited by CalTexCruiser

3 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Example scenario:

I am scrambling to schedule a test and am having a hard time for my sailing this weekend.

I hope to find a test last minute and did not cancel within 48 hours of sailing, so Cruise with Confidence guarantee gone.

Celebrity denies boarding and denies my request for FCC, because their system shows that I read their email at a certain date/time and I failed to live up to their new testing requirement despite explicitly acknowledging reading their notification.

I did schedule a test, but it was a PCR test because that was all that was available.  It is three days later and the test lab did not return my results, and I am at the pier feverishly refreshing my email inbox hoping that the lab results come back--it never did, and I am denied boarding and FCC because within 48-hr Cruise with Confidence.

Both are good points and scary should that happen.  I'm relying on the 48 hr CWC as well.  Hopefully by Nov. these tests won't be required although it's being hinted on this board they may last indefinitely.

15 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Example scenario:

I would hope that they will provide onsite testing at the pier in this scenario.  Perhaps with proof that you took the test. (is this something you get when you take a PCR test?)  

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Example scenario:

Celebrity has  3 policies for refunds and/or FCC. Each one covers a different situation.

***Cruise with Confidence covers you cancelling for ANY reason, up to 48 hours from boarding. You get 100% FCC.

***The Covid-19 Assistance policy covers you if you test positive within 14 days of the voyage, even a test at the port. You get 100% refund.

***the new testing poliicy Celebrity has just implemented states that if you are unable to complete the testIng requirements, you get 100% refund or FCC. 

These policies seem to cover all the possible scenarios that you have.

Edited by Smmessineo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

Celebrity has  3 policies for refunds and/or FCC. Each one covers a different situation.

***Cruise with Confidence covers you cancelling for ANY reason, up to 48 hours from boarding. You get 100% FCC.

***The Covid-19 Assistance policy covers you if you test positive within 14 days of the voyage, even a test at the port. You get 100% refund.

***the new testing poliicy Celebrity has just implemented states that if you are unable to complete the testIng requirements, you get 100% refund or FCC. 

These policies seem to cover all the possible scenarios that you have.

Did not know about ***, so I guess we are all covered then. 👍

@TeeRick To help relieve your anxiety about possibly testing positive in Seattle, get a test done 4-5 days before you leave. That period should give you plenty of time to get results. You should then have fewer "what if?" worries about a positive test in Seattle and returning home because you can cancel everything then.

Depending on where you live, you could also reserve a car rental ahead of time for a return trip and cancel it once you get your Seattle test results. Long drive is better than flying home positive. 

Get N95 masks to keep yourself much safer while waiting for your trip to Seattle, too. Got these on Amazon.

20210805_135622.jpg

1 hour ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Example scenario:

So basically cases where you lie and deny having received the e-mail.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

If you do not have symptoms, it's unlikely you will infect anyone.  Even for the Delta variant, its unlikely you will have enough of the virus to harm anyone.  If you have symptoms, you will need another plan for a few days.

Using your logic, asymptomatic people with positive results will be allowed on the cruise ship.

I don't think so.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

Using your logic, asymptomatic people with positive results will be allowed on the cruise ship.

I don't think so.

Guess what?  There are asymptomatic people already on the cruise ships and there will still be asymptomatic people even with pre boarding testing.  Those people aren't hurting anyone.  

9 minutes ago, bigbeergut said:

Guess what?  There are asymptomatic people already on the cruise ships and there will still be asymptomatic people even with pre boarding testing.  Those people aren't hurting anyone.  

Where do you know this from, what is your source? No one currently on the Edge or Equinox are reporting any new cases this week on CC.

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Where do you know this from, what is your source? No one currently on the Edge or Equinox are reporting any new cases this week on CC.

If you don't test the general population you'll never know.  There are plenty of asymptomatic people in the general population, those people also get on cruise ships.

Edited by bigbeergut
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, bigbeergut said:

If you don't test the general population you'll never know.  There are plenty of asymptomatic people in the general population, those people also get on cruise ships.

Not so much now with testing, unless they become infectious after the test was administered.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

Not so much now with testing, unless they become infectious after the test was administered.

I believe that's the entire reason for the "testing everyone" before check in process.  That virtually eliminates anyone over 2 years old who is infected with the virus, asymptomatic or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Question:  why bother clicking the "please click here" to verify?

I don't think there is any downside to not verifying, and us clicking to verify just allows Celebrity to document we've read the email and use it against us later if needed.

Even though I verified a couple days ago I got another one today and when I clicked the link it said the link had expired.

23 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I believe that's the entire reason for the "testing everyone" before check in process.  That virtually eliminates anyone over 2 years old who is infected with the virus, asymptomatic or not.

Again….the testing only represents what computes from that moment in time the specimen is taken.  The PCR test is a better demonstration because it quantifies smaller molecules that may be present. The PCR and The Antigen test both are looking for similar things but very differently. The antigen test also may have more false positives that the PCR. You can walk away, retest in a few hours or the next day and be positive. 

48 minutes ago, Cruising is my passion said:

The antigen test also may have more false positives that the PCR. You can walk away, retest in a few hours or the next day and be positive.

???   I'm confused; do you mean the antigen test can have more false negatives? 

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Many of us will test at home before we fly to Florida.  The pre-boarding test will not pick-up any inflections we pick-up traveling to Florida or in Florida before the cruise.  I'm not sure the pre-boarding test will help much for cruises leaving from Florida or other hot spots (re Texas).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

The antigen test is largely marketed as a screening test. If positive, the recommendation is to verify on PCR. As a screening test, it should have more false positives. It tests for an indicator of viral replication, so a positive antigen test is more suggestive of early stage infection. But if you’re too early or too late, it will likely be negative. 

These things were designed to diagnose disease. They work in this space, but they’re going to be imperfect by necessity. They’re very good at diagnosing a symptomatic patient. 

22 minutes ago, bigbeergut said:

Many of us will test at home before we fly to Florida.  The pre-boarding test will not pick-up any inflections we pick-up traveling to Florida or in Florida before the cruise.  I'm not sure the pre-boarding test will help much for cruises leaving from Florida or other hot spots (re Texas).

I have suggestion for you, stay home locked down until the virus diseapears, then maybe you will feel safe enough to cruise.  

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

Data clearly shows that the viral load is orders of magnitude higher with Delta, even in asymptomatic cases.  With the other variants the data indicated that vaccination prevented transmission even in break through cases.

With Delta that is not the case the viral load, even in breakthrough cases in vaccinated individuals can infect others.  Thus the change in the mask guidance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

more false positives.  In the EU the MSC  boarding process was to test everyone with antigen test.  Any that tested positive was them confirmed with a PCR.

False negative tend to occur at a fairly high rate with both antigen and PCR, though have not seen the studies updated to show test accuracy with the higher viral load that Delta has demonstrated.

20 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I have suggestion for you, stay home locked down until the virus diseapears, then maybe you will feel safe enough to cruise.  

You must have misunderstood me.  I don't think the pre-cruise testing will really accomplish anything.  I plan to board the Equinox next wek.

• Like 2