Cruise carry on bag

Methosage

New VideoNow that cruises are sailing again, we were thinking about what we pack in our carry on bag. In this Cruise Quick Tip, join us as we discuss the Top 10 items for your cruise carry on bag! What do you pack in your carry on bag? Did we leave off anything you consider essential?  https://youtu.be/JUYX2SJBZOQ

CarryOn.jpg

8 minutes ago, Methosage said:

New VideoNow that cruises are sailing again, we were thinking about what we pack in our carry on bag. In this Cruise Quick Tip, join us as we discuss the Top 10 items for your cruise carry on bag! What do you pack in your carry on bag? Did we leave off anything you consider essential?  https://youtu.be/JUYX2SJBZOQ

CarryOn.jpg

This is a very well made video. However, it really should identify that it is (appears to be) specifically aimed at a particular type of itinerary. 
And, while it talks about expanded info in “other” videos, a newbie could easily be misled by items like documents to include birth certificate OR passport. Depending on both cruise line and/or itinerary, a passport may be required.

As for meds, it should be mentioned that script info (either on container or as an Rx list) is also required. Note as well that certain meds are barred in certain country.

While a swim suit is mentioned, conspicuous by its absence is the essential extra clothing items. Anyone who is an FF will remind you that airline checked luggage can get lost.

In any case: again- well made video but.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

This is a very well made video. However, it really should identify that it is (appears to be) specifically aimed at a particular type of itinerary. 
And, while it talks about expanded info in “other” videos, a newbie could easily be misled by items like documents to include birth certificate OR passport. Depending on both cruise line and/or itinerary, a passport may be required.

As for meds, it should be mentioned that script info (either on container or as an Rx list) is also required. Note as well that certain meds are barred in certain country.

While a swim suit is mentioned, conspicuous by its absence is the essential extra clothing items. Anyone who is an FF will remind you that airline checked luggage can get lost.

In any case: again- well made video but.....

Hi Flatbush Flyer, thank you for the feedback! Those are some very good points. We will definitely take them into consideration. 🙂 

I agree this seems aimed at a specific cruise, possibly a Caribbean cruise leaving from the US. The comments on passports and a change of clothing are also important, especially if you are a size not carried in ship stores.

I’ll add another comment. As far as the cash goes, dollars don’t work everywhere. We always try to get some currency from the countries we are visiting. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Neat trick if you’re on a month long cruise that includes any cold climate locations.

I could be wrong, for sure, but I didn't get the impression they were talking about all their clothes and 'stuff.' I'll be interested to hear back from @zekekelso.

On 7/31/2021 at 12:07 PM, ldubs said:

I carry currency or credit cards on my person.  Never in luggage, checked or otherwise.   

While I have always had currency and or credit cards on my person I have spoken to many people on cruises who keep them in their luggage which makes no sense to me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

While I have always had currency and or credit cards on my person I have spoken to many people on cruises who keep them in their luggage which makes no sense to me.

Carry on.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

When I have currency exceeding $10K to move, I put it in the luggage.  😁

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

When I have currency exceeding $10K to move, I put it in the luggage.  😁

Reminds me of when I was entering the US from Canada and presumably because of my long hair and long beard had my luggage checked.When the Officer found a plastic bag with white powder he had a smile on his face but that turned to a frown when he discovered it was Coffee Mate.

On 7/31/2021 at 3:19 PM, clo said:

I got a nice Delsey underseat, but found out it doesn’t fit under the aisle seats on airlines I was on. Those are sometimes narrower. I just took out what I needed, and stuck in overhead. But now I know.

4 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I got a nice Delsey underseat, but found out it doesn’t fit under the aisle seats on airlines I was on. Those are sometimes narrower. I just took out what I needed, and stuck in overhead. But now I know.

That's too bad. Most of our flying is intl so I wonder it that's the difference. I got it a few years ago because people were boarding with things way, way too big and too many and I was concerned I wouldn't be able to secure overhead space.

1 minute ago, clo said:

That's too bad. Most of our flying is intl so I wonder it that's the difference. I got it a few years ago because people were boarding with things way, way too big and too many and I was concerned I wouldn't be able to secure overhead space.

I don’t take it on Domestic flights anymore, since most of those are to San Diego, and I don’t need much. Lesson learned.

PS Welcome to Washington!

1 minute ago, crzndeb said:

PS Welcome to Washington!

Thanks. We were in Lynnwood the other day to get some special canned tuna at World Market. Were on probably the longest "auto row" ever 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 2:31 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Women typically carry their wallet/passport/money in a purse. When I fly, I bring a backpack as my personal item and put my purse inside it (so that way I can also put meds, electronics, etc. in it). My backpack is the only "luggage" I usually carry on. So, yes, I would say I put all of that stuff in my "carry on". 

• Like 1

Yes, it was interesting to see that video but disagree with quite a few of their 10 items......I carry a cross body bag and my id's (PASSPORT), my cruise docs.....all that personal stuff goes in my cross body.

And I also agree with the folks who say this video seems to be more for a Caribbean cruise and even in that circumstance, I don't pack a bathing suit in my carry on but that is because I don't choose to go to the pool  early.

As for my meds......I use a pill box and it also goes in my cross body bag. 

Money? I agree about bringing cash with me but it may not necessarily be US $........that old saying "CASH IS KING".....but it is Euros in many of my sailings.  And I carry it in my cross body bag along with my credit cards.

My "carry on bag" holds clothing, toiletries, jewelry roll and shoes.   

Our carry on is a 20 roller.  It is all that we each travel with.  Including cruises to cooler climates  such as South America. 

I cannot even imagine leaving our passports, credit or bank cards,  cash or any other important papers in my carry on.  We carry those on our person.   Does not matter if it is a Caribbean cruise or any other type of travel. 

Edited by iancal

Having had checked luggage delayed several times on international flights, we tend to bring rollaboard cases as well as checked luggage.so far , as we fly in a few days prior to cruises they normally arrive prior to embarkation. We have a few changes of clothes, swimsuit, change of footwear, nightwear and scaled back toiletries.This is usually stored in the overhead locker. Husband has a small shoe bag for items needed during the flight which slips inside his rollaboard. I have documents, passports etc in handbag. Lots of luggage..but I am an over packer !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Women typically carry their wallet/passport/money in a purse. When I fly, I bring a backpack as my personal item and put my purse inside it (so that way I can also put meds, electronics, etc. in it). My backpack is the only "luggage" I usually carry on. So, yes, I would say I put all of that stuff in my "carry on". 

Mrs.66 always has those items on her person.