Carnival changing testing to 2 days prior...we Royal follow?

bajathree

2 hours ago, ughreally said:

I scheduled a last minute cruise, leaving next month. I ordered the 6 pack of tests from eMed and I could only put in 3 names, but we're a family of 4. Can anyone confirm if you can use the tests on anyone, regardless of names. Has someone ACTUALLY done this with success? I am going to try very hard to get our tests done in person and have these as a back up, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm working with and I've been on hold with eMed for 20 minutes and no one responded to my message. 

@exm recently used these tests for his family.  

What you need definitely can be done.  He may be able to advice/confirm.

2 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Why are people saying this new 2 day window, if adopted by Royal, will not affect Florida sailings?

Because florida sued the cdc as overreaching and the cso is not in force right now. It's not over, but just right now cant be enforced. 

Galveston where I'm out of is still affected. 

38 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Because florida sued the cdc as overreaching and the cso is not in force right now. It's not over, but just right now cant be enforced. 

Galveston where I'm out of is still affected. 

I still don’t understand.  Celebrity’s sailings out of Florida are currently requiring a vaccine card and a negative covid test no earlier than 3 days prior to sailing.  So I’m assuming they could change the 3 day window to 2.  In Florida.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, helen haywood said:

I still don’t understand.  Celebrity’s sailings out of Florida are currently requiring a vaccine card and a negative covid test no earlier than 3 days prior to sailing.  So I’m assuming they could change the 3 day window to 2.  In Florida.

Sure could change the window and I fully expect them to announce it, hopefully sooner rather than later.

For anyone who has experience on the eMed home Binax tests…we have our tests, we have the apps downloaded and I am at the point where I have to scan the box. We depart on the 17th so will test on the 15th under the new rules. What happens after I scan the box? Does it prompt an appointment and if so, can I book that far out or is it just a que system once you scan?

2 hours ago, TX-Cruiser said:

What happens after I scan the box? Does it prompt an appointment and if so, can I book that far out or is it just a que system once you scan?

It directs you to the e-Med site to login there and you get in a queue and wait for a proctor (my wait was ~2mins). 

• Like 1

Princess and HAL have joined Carnival in requiring a 2-day testing window, also with back-up options at the port for testing. I also just watched a video of the testing process for the NCL Encore in Seattle, which looks orderly and seems to actually avoid check-in crowds, since testing is in a nearby hotel and people are forced to trickle into the terminal as they get test results. So now RCL is the last holdout of the major lines so it will be interesting to see how they handle it, if they'll simply expand existing testing at ports used by kids, or try to contract with another outside testing service, or if they take up my suggestion of sending every passenger a Binax home proctored test, which would give them a huge advantage over the uncertainty of the Carnival brands right now. 

• Like 2

If Royal adopts the 2 day testing recommendation how they not also adopt the new masking recommendations?  

The CDC recommended they drop the policy of not requiring masks in designated vaccinated venues before the CDC added "recommending" 2 day testing.  

The 3 day testing requirement had a significant chilling effect on bookings and induced many cancellations.  If they adopt all CDC recommendations (masks everywhere indoors and 2 day testing) what effect will that have on new bookings and cancellations?    

Kind of awkward to adopt some but not all CDC recommendations.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

How in the heck do you find a covid test within 2 days of sailing AND have the results back in time?!?!?  And we live in a large metropolitan area with lots of testing available, but people are still waiting in line for 3 hours for drive up testing, not able to find actual appointments, or, literally, driving 90 minutes away for appointments.

(I'm in the South, by the way . . . It's a "cluster" around here.)

Do you have access to Walmart pharmacy testing through Quest? It’s PCR, but we had results back in 24 hrs. 

13 hours ago, ughreally said:

I scheduled a last minute cruise, leaving next month. I ordered the 6 pack of tests from eMed and I could only put in 3 names, but we're a family of 4. Can anyone confirm if you can use the tests on anyone, regardless of names. Has someone ACTUALLY done this with success? I am going to try very hard to get our tests done in person and have these as a back up, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm working with and I've been on hold with eMed for 20 minutes and no one responded to my message. 

Yes. The actual test kits are not tied to a name. You need to provide names when ordering since technically it requires a prescription, but just like with a real prescription: if you have the bottle/box in your hands you can share it to whomever you like. So no worries, you'll be fine (and yes, I used these tests for a party of 6 including 3 minors).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

If they would reduce the prices by even just a little bit then more people might be willing to put up with it instead of canceling. I don’t see that happening.

They have been reducing the prices just to fill the sailings they have leaving soon.  I have been checking prices and there are some good deals out there. I can sail on Princess with the included drink package wifi and gratuities in a midship balcony for $100pp less than what I paid for an obstructed balcony on Anthem with no perks in 2019.  You couldn't get me on a cruise ship now if it were free. With the last minute changing protocols and testing requirements it's just not the vacation experience I want. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

12 hours ago, bajathree said:

On a side note....local news here in Tampa has been talking about DeSantis's ban on asking for proof of vaccine and the cruise lines  ...and news has been reporting that FL will now start implementing $5000 fines starting Sept 16. So may soon see this coming back into play again.

https://fox59.com/news/coronavirus/florida-businesses-will-soon-face-5k-fines-for-violating-vaccine-passport-ban-state-says/

There is a big difference in requiring and asking...problem is, Royal can't put you on a boat to St Thomas or Bahamas without a vaccination (assuming 12 or over).  I expect zero pushback from Florida on this.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joanne59 said:

Do you have access to Walmart pharmacy testing through Quest? It’s PCR, but we had results back in 24 hrs. 

Our Walmart Pharmacy’s do not offer Covid testing.  They do sell the home test kits that are NOT approved by the cruise lines.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

If Royal adopts the 2 day testing recommendation how they not also adopt the new masking recommendations?  

The CDC recommended they drop the policy of not requiring masks in designated vaccinated venues before the CDC added "recommending" 2 day testing.  

The 3 day testing requirement had a significant chilling effect on bookings and induced many cancellations.  If they adopt all CDC recommendations (masks everywhere indoors and 2 day testing) what effect will that have on new bookings and cancellations?    

Kind of awkward to adopt some but not all CDC recommendations.  

If they go to a 2 day then the 48 hours Cancel with confidence needs to go to 24 hours.

I have a sailing on the 10th and my test on 7th.  I have until 11:59 pm on Tuesday to cancel in order to put into the window of 48 hours.  They want all cancels by midnight or lets say for understand purposes 12:01 am of the day you sail.

So moving to a 2 day testing window thus reduces the turnaround time for requesting an FCC.

And so on and so  until the sailing just goes away.  I honestly do not understand why CDC keeps adjusting their rules and predictions.  Are the that bored or just plan ole mean ass towards the cruising industry.

I am more concerned about my 6 hours on a plane as well as a few hours in the airport.

Nothing will ever be perfect but leave the 3 day window alone. or better yet go back to 5.   After all,  it is just a moment in time.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

If they go to a 2 day then the 48 hours Cancel with confidence needs to go to 24 hours.

From what I understand, the Cancel with Confidence plan allows you to get future cruise credit if you choose to cancel for any reason.  But if you test positive for COVID, RCI will cancel you and give you a 100% refund.  So I don't see the two things as being related.  

28 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

From what I understand, the Cancel with Confidence plan allows you to get future cruise credit if you choose to cancel for any reason.  But if you test positive for COVID, RCI will cancel you and give you a 100% refund.  So I don't see the two things as being related.  

What if you don't get results back in time through no fault of your own?  

Once you are under 48 hours you can't use CWC.  If your testing provider has an issue or ruins a bunch of tests by accident you don't get to sail but you can't claim a positive test and you can't use CWC because it's too close.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

Right but what about if you don't get the results back in time then you are SOOL.  I got my test at the 3 day mark and if my results were not back (rapid) for whatever reason I was going to go ahead and cancel under CWC that day.  I can't do that with a 2 day window

Edit to Add I'm surprised that Royal has not announced anything yet.

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

and if the switch to a 2 day rule and do not change their CWC then the phone lines are gonna get real busy real FAST.

RCI if you are listening, setup the IT dept to allow folks to request FCC under CWC ON line so we do not have to call.

And while you are at it.  Where is my cancel and FCC I requested on Aug18th?  just saying that RCI is behind in these cancel and some ships will sail thinking you did not just show up.   Meaning my room was not put back into inventory either.

32 minutes ago, twangster said:

What if you don't get results back in time through no fault of your own?  

23 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Right but what about if you don't get the results back in time then you are SOOL. 

It's certainly a valid concern that a local in-person test may be cancelled or not return the results in time.  Especially if there is a two day window instead of three.  That's why we ordered the BinaxNow COVID-19 AG Card Home test as a backup plan.   We should have close to 100% confidence that we will have some test result within a 3-day or 2-day window. 

I'd hate rely on the Cancel with Confidence plan as my only backup.  Canceling the cruise when we're perfectly healthy, our bags are packed and ready to leave for the airport, doesn't seem like the best option.  

But in any event, I think RCI will have no choice but to offer rapid tests at the pier.  Especially if they change to a 2-day requirement.

Edited by Lou33

Just saw this update on the Royal Caribbean protocols:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

Required Pre-Cruise Testing for Cruises Departing Before September 13, 2021

All guests age 2 and older — regardless of their vaccination status or the length of their cruise — will need to take a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal and show their negative test result upon arriving. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Costs associated with this test are the guest’s responsibility.

Required Pre-Cruise Testing for Cruises Departing September 13, 2021 or Later

Guests departing on or after September 13, 2021 will need to meet the new requirements recently issued by the U.S. CDC.

• Vaccinated guests age 12 and older must show a negative COVID-19 test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test taken no more than 3 days before boarding. Antigen tests will not be accepted.
  • Guests under 2 years of age will not be tested.
  • The cost of pre-cruise testing is the guest’s responsibility.

Have questions about which tests are accepted?
Read Detailed Testing FAQs