Speculating when "Fully Vaccinated" means having the "3rd" booster shot.

MikeKl

This is pure SPECULATION on my part and I know there is no answer yet, but I have been wondering at what point Royal Caribbean and all the other cruise lines for that matter will no longer consider you "Fully Vaccinated" once the booster is approved and available.  I know most people can't even get the booster as of yet.  But I would imagine at some point the CDC will "recommend" a booster to cruise.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MikeKl said:

This is pure SPECULATION on my part and I know there is no answer yet, but I have been wondering at what point Royal Caribbean and all the other cruise lines for that matter will no longer consider you "Fully Vaccinated" once the booster is approved and available.  I know most people can't even get the booster as of yet.  But I would imagine at some point the CDC will "recommend" a booster to cruise.  

I have no idea. The vaccine doesnt even work. We took the vaccine to cruise and just tested positive. Had to cancel our cruise on Sunday! First time vaccinated in 20 years and yipee!

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

I worry about this too.  Saw an article where a cdc rep said the booster will likely eventually be required to be considered “fully vaccinated”.  Can’t find it now of course.  My guess would be  May 2022 before they start pushing it.  That is 1 year from when the bulk of Americans without existing conditions became eligible for shots. Purely speculative of course!

Edited by dianajo67

49 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

I have no idea. The vaccine doesnt even work. We took the vaccine to cruise and just tested positive. Had to cancel our cruise on Sunday! First time vaccinated in 20 years and yipee!

Sorry to hear you tested positive and had to cancel your cruise on Sunday.    Since you tested earlier than 3 days before sailing did you feel ill?

Hopefully you both will be fine and have no or hardly any symptoms, which means the vaccine is doing exactly what it should be doing.   

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

How about we set up Vegas odds and see who wins?     

I suspect booster shots will become available for everyone later this year to prevent another holiday/winter spike.

Then CDC will say "fully vaccinated" for.....February or March 2022.   

Edited by Sunshine3601

27 minutes ago, ampurp85 said:

@Colorado Babe Vaccine does work, it was never specified that you won't get the virus. It was specified that it protects you from the severity of the virus. 

Thank you... it was NEVER touted as 100% to avoid infection. However, the likelihood that one would not experience hospitalization and/or death is drastically improved. It works just fine.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Babe said:

No vaccine is 100%. You sadly are part of the 10% that still get Covid.  Your odds of getting truly sick or hospitalized are extremely low, so that the good side of being vaccinated. Hope you have minimal symptoms and can cruise in another month

• Like 9

I don’t think they will bother with booster requirements unless the CDC makes them jump thru that hoop. Can you imagine the mess they would have, trying to figure out when the booster is needed, since everyone got them at different times?

I personally think they will depend on those of us vaccinated keeping up with it for ourselves. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Just my opinion. That and $8 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. 😂

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I just got my booster last Saturday at CVS. Very easy. Set up an appointment though CVS, gave ID and insurance and got the shot. In and out in 5 minutes.

Curious to know, if you don't wish to share I understand, did they update your existing CDC card to reflect booster date/batch # or give you another card?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

It’s unfortunate that there is a terrible misunderstanding on how this vaccine works. As many have said (and I work in the health care industry myself) the vaccine does not and never was meant to keep you from getting COVID-19. What it is meant to do (through the mRNA) is to instruct your body on how to react, and how to handle the virus if and when you do get it. For the most part, it keeps you from dying or being hospitalized in ICU. There are breakthrough cases where people have died who were also vaccinated, but those are very rare. You still have to follow all of the social distancing, mask wearing, and sanitizing protocol. This is never ever going away. We have a new normal, and this is it. 

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

Yes, the vaccine works. You're not in the ICU.

• Like 11

I doubt the booster will ever be required. Right now, it's only recommended for special people, and only the Phiser will be available by 09/20. It will be very limited to the public. I, for one, have to wait for Moderna, and I'm 79, so will be able to  get it, but that would be my choice. I don't think here will be any mandate for the booster.

The who asks the USA to not give boosters and save them for poor countries. Just heard today we are selfish wanting booster shots now that my tax dollars for the vaccines..should give them away. 

At my parents age, when they can, they should get boosters and me too.

• Like 6

Just now, deliver42 said:

I doubt the booster will ever be required. Right now, it's only recommended for special people, and only the Phiser will be available by 09/20. It will be very limited to the public. I, for one, have to wait for Moderna, and I'm 79, so will be able to  get it, but that would be my choice. I don't think here will be any mandate for the booster.

I've heard the 9/20 date has already been pushed back into oct.

Shortly before being fully vaccinated means after your 4th shot.

Two FDA senior vaccine officials quit last week because the White House was meddling too much .

But as for boosters, why would you want to rush to get another dose of a shot that "experts" claim doesn't work as well against new variants? Why isn't there a new recipe available?

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

But as for boosters, why would you want to rush to get another dose of a shot that "experts" claim doesn't work as well against new variants? Why isn't there a new recipe available?

A seatbelt won’t protect me from every crash, but I still wear one. The current vaccine has proven effective against some of the new strains of coronavirus. And I like to think of the booster shots as the air bags in my car…added protection. There will ALWAYS be newer variants, always, even to the point where one of them will be resistant to the current mRNA vaccines. Maybe by then they’ll have another (as you called it) “recipe”. But as we can tell for the foreseeable future, these booster shots will be most likely be an annual event, just like flu shots. 

• Like 16

I work in healthcare and am due to get the booster at the end of the month (or as soon as they're available), so I'll be all set!  

as @zekekelsopointed out, it's very likely that this will take the same course as the 1918 flu pandemic.  That's why we have a booster every year: although the shots aren't perfect, the main goal of the shot is to lesson your symptoms or chance of hospitalization if you do wind up with COVID.  My guess is each year, the shot will be tailored to whatever strain will be dominant that year as well, much like the flu shot.

• Like 4

Reading the vaccine requirement language carefully, it does require 14 days since the last dose. Be aware of that if you are scheduling a third dose in advance of a cruise. I am not sure how that would be interpreted if you showed up a week after your booster.

1 minute ago, Jasukkie said:

Reading the vaccine requirement language carefully, it does require 14 days since the last dose. Be aware of that if you are scheduling a third dose in advance of a cruise. I am not sure how that would be interpreted if you showed up a week after your booster.

Since the current definition of fully vaccinated is “2 doses of mRNA vaccine or one dose of adenovirus” a 3rd shot less than 14 days prior to embarkation would make no difference on ability to board. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

Did you get sick? Did you end up in the hospital? Did you end up on a ventilator? If not what is your rationale for your opinion on the vaccines? Vaccines don't put a protective barrier around you.... but if you don't get it by now I'm just wasting my time explaining it.🙄

• Like 21