What is the new normal for cabin service?

14 hours ago, Cruzingal#9 said:

We're sailing on her Oct. 3.  We watched you guys leave on the webcam and were sooooo excited for you (and us 🙂 )!!!  Any information (check-in, boarding, procedures for the shows) or pictures you can share would be greatly appreciated.  Enjoy your cruise!  

We sailed at 16.5% capacity so anything that we experienced is unlikely to be repeated going forward. 

checkin was a breeze. So much so that I realized I’d forgotten something in the car (happily we are in POG Express Parking) so I got off, went to the car to retrieve the missing item, then strolled back on. The entire process took maybe 15 minutes. 

weve not been to any shows as the only performances are at 9:45 nightly and that doesn’t work for us as early as we get up in the morning. That said, the ap shows attendance by reservation only. Each time I looked, reservations showed to be available. 

dinner I’m the MDR is the same, reservations required. Windjammer closed for dinner. 

no temperature checks at any time during the entire sailing. 

we never used room service. 

feels like a ghost ship!!

Edited by Bgwest

On 9/18/2021 at 9:23 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

Happy they are providing service.  Just about every hotel we've stayed in for more than one night has eliminated daily room cleaning,  because of Covid.   It will be nice to be pampered.

M

A number of them had dropped daily service before COVID.  Or encouraged you to eliminate daily service by giving bonus points for skipping service.

On 9/19/2021 at 6:14 PM, luckyinpa said:

im gonna miss dinner at the buffet. wonder what their criteria is to start?

Sufficient passenger load to justify hiring more crew to staff additional dining places. People have commented on how you could print the entire Cruise Compass entertainment schedule on a business card each day... and you can. Again, less passenger load, less activities, fewer crew required, money saved (or money not spent). 

On 9/19/2021 at 3:14 PM, luckyinpa said:

shows that late stink but i will be happy if they  just go on. does make it easier for planning purposes. 

im gonna miss dinner at the buffet. wonder what their criteria is to start?

I was looking at Cruise Compasses for the Serenade to Alaska, they only had one show a night, although they repeated the main production show as an afternoon matinee for a sea day. I booked the Sept 24 Ovation last week, and was told there was no more space for My Time Dining, which seems to indicate they're trying to increase capacity. I chose 8 pm dining, since I hoped for lower crowds at later shows, and most of the shows list 40 minutes or so as a run time starting at 10 usually, which is fine for me. It's my first cruise since Covid, so I'm looking for the least-crowded options for events and dining, including non-traditional venues like the Solarium Bistro and 270 Cafe. 

Edited by rj59

On 9/18/2021 at 7:44 PM, luckyinpa said:

will room service deliver inside the room or just hand off?

Currently on Odyssey in a Star Class loft. Room service will not enter the room. My husband has been taking the food cart, rolling it into the living room and unloading our breakfast on the table, and then rolling the cart back to them. 

1 hour ago, sandebeach said:

Currently on Odyssey in a Star Class loft. Room service will not enter the room. My husband has been taking the food cart, rolling it into the living room and unloading our breakfast on the table, and then rolling the cart back to them. 

As always with RCI, inconsistent policy enforcement 

On 9/18/2021 at 8:38 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Just hand off currently 

On Allure in August, they brought the food into the cabin and set them out for us - same as always..

On 9/18/2021 at 6:23 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

Happy they are providing service.  Just about every hotel we've stayed in for more than one night has eliminated daily room cleaning,  because of Covid.   It will be nice to be pampered.

M

All of the Hilton properties I have stayed in in last couple months have gone back to daily room cleaning.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

On Allure in August, they brought the food into the cabin and set them out for us - same as always..

On the Mariner last weekend, the room service person did NOT come into the cabin.  Just handed us the tray. 

And we got towel animals every night.  

Was on Freedom until 9/17 and Odyssey until 9/25. On both, room service would not come into the cabin...although I didn't request they do, they told me they were not permitted to enter while handing me the tray. It also stated in the cruise literature that your tray would be handed to you at the door. And LOL! I made the mistake of ordering 2 eggs over easy and 2 pancakes, along with juice, coffee, etc. They sent me 2 orders of everything! I had no idea why I was getting so many trays but the crew member waited at the door while I carried each tray to the table. I only made that mistake once. BTW, I think the crew member would be conflicted if you asked them to bring the tray in - not wanting to make you unhappy, but not wanting to violate their rules

Edited by NRWPA
additional comment
  • Like 1

Depends. We choose room service twice while on Symphony last week. The first time it was placed on table inside our room. The second time,  I was told that they were not allowed to come into the room and I had to carry the try in from the hallway. 

Still worth it. We had spent most of the day in the Oasis Lagoon and it was nice not to have to go out for dinner. 

Oh yes - we love the more creative towel sculptures too!  When out steward left that bathroom one for us, I opened the bathroom door and started laughing so hard my husband thought I was having some kind of attack because I couldn't even talk for a minute...I was just howling with laughter.

We had a fantastic cabin steward on our last cruise, and we did that one in the bathroom for him (it's so easy!) on the last night with our additional cash tip sticking out of the shoes.  He loved it!