The Daily for Thursday September 30, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Mud Pack Day, National PrepareAthon! Day, and World Maritime Day

A pessimist is a person who has had to listen to too many optimists. - Don Marquis

Meal suggestion for today - Acorn Squash

Drink of the Day - Tequila Sunset

Wine of the day - Warre Vintage Port 2016

Destination of the Day - Hilo Hawaii US

Ships with Passengers

Kerkira, Nisos Kerkira (Corfu)
Eurodam 13:00 - 21:00

Ketchikan, AK
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Noordam Destination Puerto Vallarto MX eta 10/4

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Westerdam
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Rotterdam NL
Rotterdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam North Sea Operations

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

0930Europe.thumb.png.7a09fde6d7680e12976f7d04319c2866.png

0930NAmerica.thumb.png.77a8019102b4414e7679d761a233cf98.png

0930Alaska.thumb.png.4d4c8dc7df0f6641ff203c0870d02602.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  It is also the first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation in Canada.

Amusing quote.

Love acorn squash, a great side dish, not a meal for me.

The drink of the day sounds good, hope the wine is good too.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone; thanks for today’s report Rich.  Interesting days, do you wish someone a happy mud pack day?  As a former Boy Scout I’d like to think that I’m always prepared.  World Maritime Day seems very appropriate for this board.  Funny quote for today.  We have a nice acorn squash on the counter, but for tomorrow.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today!

• Like 24

Thank you Rich for the last Daily of September.  I think all of us have a special fondness for National Maritime Day, and I support the Scouts Motto of "Be Prepared" but I'll pass on the Mud Pack.  I love the Marquis quote.  Hilo is a great port although I haven't been there for many years.  I'll pass on the Acorn Squash.  My alternative is freshly grilled French Toast with mixed berry topping as I enjoyed September 20, 2017 on MS Oosterdam before disembarking in San Diego.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
VMax1700 DGD (sorry about yesterday) fractured collarbone
Lindaler recovering from a fall
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruising-along on Eurodam
Jajmd on Nieuw Amsterdam
Irishjim feeling better
2 days for Aliaschief
6 days for Vict0riann, VMaxx1700, sailingdutchy and NextOne
Welcome home Icand9223
smitty34877 DGS, DGD, and Tana major improvements
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists.

The closest I've ever come to a mud pack was playing football in the mud in my younger days.

I am celebrating world maritime day by anticipating more cruise ships in action.

We visited Hilo on our circle Hawaii cruise out of San Diego on the Zaandam. We rented a car and visited the Volcano National Park. It ws a great day.

Stay safe everyone

• Like 22

I don't have a sunrise for September 30 so I'm going to September 21 (2007).  It was taken at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico.  While Philmont treks happen only in summer their Training Center continues to operate into the fall:

DSCF0019.JPG.ff675e917d3d77189df33b3311a

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone.

It was so nice coming down into a kitchen with cleared counters and actual workspace.  I am so glad that project is done. Now I'll have room to make my acorn squash at Thanksgiving time!

Acorn squash is a fall and winter staple.   I remember my mom making it and putting butter and brown sugar in the wells.  The butter and sugar would melt and get all nice and gooey.  I loved it.  I think I could have made a meal of it.  

Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman, gets us started today with a basic recipe for acorn squash.  She takes the sweetness up a notch by adding some maple syrup to the mix.  

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a9627/delicious-baked-acorn-squash/

1208546714_AcornSquash1.jpg.d298b641fa205aa0725d82e0e3d24a0d.jpg

For more information on acorn squash in particular and other members of the squash family, the following link is provided.   Two prep methods are included:   sweet and savory.  This one also gives further links for other recipes for squashes.

https://themodernproper.com/roasted-acorn-squash

809608422_AcornSquash3.thumb.jpg.db5fbfbf338e87ca24c7f47336278d6d.jpg

And, while we normally think of acorn squash as a side dish, it can easily be transformed into a whole meal.   https://cookieandkate.com/vegetarian-stuffed-acorn-squash-recipe/

732360160_AcornSquash2.thumb.jpg.8d7b263d3b9e45c4cab358868715befc.jpg

Have a great day, everyone.  I'm off to the pool.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.

Interesting group of days and the daily quote.

Love Acorn Squash!

Have not been to today's port, looking forward to the photo's.

Prayers and toasts to our lists and all of us.

Stay safe, continue to social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Tequila Sunset:

Ingredients

1 c. ice
1 1/2 oz. tequila
4 oz. orange or grapefruit juice
1/2 oz. grenadine
Maraschino cherry or mandarin, for garnish

Directions

Fill serving glass with ice, tequila and juice.
Add grenadine, garnish with cherry or mandarin and serve.

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 7.23.52 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A great combination of days!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family!

An early morning for me. First an appointment with my orthopedic doc, where I hope he will release me to the World!  Then my first gym class! A combo of aerobic and strength intervals. This will be the first test of the knee moving around.  I warned the instructor, I will be in a corner near a chair - just in case. I am so looking forward to trying this!

Bindi and I took a ride to pick out roof shingle colors yesterday, and we both decided on the same one. So now I just need my HOA approval, and then my roofing job can be scheduled. My County won’t even issue the permit without HOA approval. Hoping it will be done before our 10 days of winter arrive. Actually the roofer estimates no later than mid-November. 

I have actually been to today’s port. My favorite picture from the visit is down in a lava tube just outside of Hilo. These things are big!

B8B404D4-DC88-4316-BF80-19AB26B46F0D.thumb.jpeg.4e846ec46cf36dc8ce7fe06c32689c45.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Welcome home Sam!

Warre Vintage Port 2016

This one is pricey, but think of it as an investment. They are still selling bottles of the 1912 vintage! Superb ratings. Many online distributors with prices starting at $73.89. If you prefer an aged Port - one online distributor offers a bottle of the 1912 vintage for $1,299.00!

Winemaker Notes

#14 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

Nearly half the Warre’s 2016 is made up of old, mixed vines from both Cavadinha and Retiro. In sections of these vineyards, as many as 30 to 40 different varieties are planted together, and at Retiro they are between 80 and 100 years old with a predominance of Touriga Franca, a variety that has typically prospered in the Rio Torto Valley, home to Quinta do Retiro. These vineyards produced tiny yields, just 630g/vine. The structure and complexity of the old vines was balanced with great acidity and freshness from the Cavadinha grapes and the superb floral aromatics from the two Touriga varieties harvested at Quinta da Telhada. Due to the very cool nights during the vintage, the grapes arrived at the Cavadinha lagar winery so cold in the mornings that, in effect, they had a ‘cold soak maceration’ before fermentation began, favouring excellent aromatic extraction. Harvesting finished at Cavadinha on October 10th, a couple of days before the weather broke. More perfect harvesting conditions could not have been hoped for.

WS98 Wine Spectator: Gorgeous, with warm plum reduction and gently steeped raspberry, blackberry and boysenberry fruit flavors forming the core, all inlaid with warm ganache and smoldering tobacco accents. Very plush in feel, but has no lack of energy, as everything sails beautifully through the long finish. A late echo of anise completes the seduction. Best from 2035 through 2055.

D98 Decanter: Nearly 50% is made from old field blend vines, Touriga Nacional and Touriga Franca from the Douro Superior. Very pure violet aromas – already utterly charming with lovely, supple and seamless fruit. Fresh and lithe with fine-grained tannins building in the mouth leading to a peacock’s tail of a finish. A beautiful wine with real poise, definition and great finesse. Don’t be deceived by the early charm, this is a wine that will last. Total production of 4,250 cases. Drinking Window 2030 - 2055 
WE96 Wine Enthusiast: This is a juicy wine, with dense black fruits that are cut by bright acidity. The tannins give power and long-term aging potential to this impressive wine. Drink from 2028. Cellar Selection

JS96 James Suckling: Very complex with dried flowers and roses. Full-bodied, very layered and tightly wound. Chewy and powerful. Firm and off-dry. Needs five or six years to soften. Beauty. Try in 2024.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

We visited Hilo on our Circle Hawaii cruise in 2018. The cruise was to celebrate Sue's Retirement. After my years in the Coast Guard and sailing both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, I had been trying to convince her that a cruise with more than two sea days in a row was enjoyable. Especially if you aren't required to stand watch! She really enjoyed it and last year I have been able to convince her to book a Transatlantic. We cancelled this year's on the Rotterdam due to concerns but instead booked our Transatlantic for next Fall!

-Jack

• Like 29

10 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A great combination of days!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family!

An early morning for me. First an appointment with my orthopedic doc, where I hope he will release me to the World!  Then my first gym class! A combo of aerobic and strength intervals. This will be the first test of the knee moving around.  I warned the instructor, I will be in a corner near a chair - just in case. I am so looking forward to trying this!

Bindi and I took a ride to pick out roof shingle colors yesterday, and we both decided on the same one. So now I just need my HOA approval, and then my roofing job can be scheduled. My County won’t even issue the permit without HOA approval. Hoping it will be done before our 10 days of winter arrive. Actually the roofer estimates no later than mid-November. 

I have actually been to today’s port. My favorite picture from the visit is down in a lava tube just outside of Hilo. These things are big!

B8B404D4-DC88-4316-BF80-19AB26B46F0D.thumb.jpeg.4e846ec46cf36dc8ce7fe06c32689c45.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Welcome home Sam!

Warre Vintage Port 2016

This one is pricey, but think of it as an investment. They are still selling bottles of the 1912 vintage! Superb ratings. Many online distributors with prices starting at $73.89. If you prefer an aged Port - one online distributor offers a bottle of the 1912 vintage for $1,299.00!

Winemaker Notes

#14 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

Nearly half the Warre’s 2016 is made up of old, mixed vines from both Cavadinha and Retiro. In sections of these vineyards, as many as 30 to 40 different varieties are planted together, and at Retiro they are between 80 and 100 years old with a predominance of Touriga Franca, a variety that has typically prospered in the Rio Torto Valley, home to Quinta do Retiro. These vineyards produced tiny yields, just 630g/vine. The structure and complexity of the old vines was balanced with great acidity and freshness from the Cavadinha grapes and the superb floral aromatics from the two Touriga varieties harvested at Quinta da Telhada. Due to the very cool nights during the vintage, the grapes arrived at the Cavadinha lagar winery so cold in the mornings that, in effect, they had a ‘cold soak maceration’ before fermentation began, favouring excellent aromatic extraction. Harvesting finished at Cavadinha on October 10th, a couple of days before the weather broke. More perfect harvesting conditions could not have been hoped for.

WS98 Wine Spectator: Gorgeous, with warm plum reduction and gently steeped raspberry, blackberry and boysenberry fruit flavors forming the core, all inlaid with warm ganache and smoldering tobacco accents. Very plush in feel, but has no lack of energy, as everything sails beautifully through the long finish. A late echo of anise completes the seduction. Best from 2035 through 2055.

D98 Decanter: Nearly 50% is made from old field blend vines, Touriga Nacional and Touriga Franca from the Douro Superior. Very pure violet aromas – already utterly charming with lovely, supple and seamless fruit. Fresh and lithe with fine-grained tannins building in the mouth leading to a peacock’s tail of a finish. A beautiful wine with real poise, definition and great finesse. Don’t be deceived by the early charm, this is a wine that will last. Total production of 4,250 cases. Drinking Window 2030 - 2055 
WE96 Wine Enthusiast: This is a juicy wine, with dense black fruits that are cut by bright acidity. The tannins give power and long-term aging potential to this impressive wine. Drink from 2028. Cellar Selection

JS96 James Suckling: Very complex with dried flowers and roses. Full-bodied, very layered and tightly wound. Chewy and powerful. Firm and off-dry. Needs five or six years to soften. Beauty. Try in 2024.

SAM AND I THANK YOU FOR THAT SHOUT OUT.

• Like 30

Good Morning everyone. Someone is fooling with my CC again and I'm on the desktop.

Today is definitely the long awaited arrival of Sam back home. He'll be here in the early afternoon and we have tentative plans, aide and all to celebrate our grandson Jared's 16th birthday with dinner out.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 37

Good afternoon it is 55°F and cloudy here.

Thank you for an interesting daily Rich and Roy for the care reports and celebrations list.

I think we should all Be Prepared in case we ever have to encounter any danger etc.

Mud pack facials is not something we would ever have.

Maritime day is something as cruisers we all should applaud.

Unusual quote.

Food and drink today sounds good.

We visited Hilo on our Grand Princess Hawaiian cruise in November/December 2019 and had a coach sightseeing tour.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 25

1 minute ago, mamaofami said:

Good Morning everyone. Someone is fooling with my CC again and I'm on the desktop.

Today is definitely the long awaited arrival of Sam back home. He'll be here in the early afternoon and we have tentative plans, aide and all to celebrate our grandson Jared's 16th birthday with dinner out.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Bless you both, Carol! It has been a long haul.

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Welcome home Sam.

Hope you all have a great day.

• Like 15

Good Morning Friends!

I have not checked in for a while…..but always enjoy when I do.

Acorn squash, butter and brown sugar and the other recipes sound very tasty.

Just a note, which does not require a recipe.  My Mom always made her pumpkin pies using butternut squash..you cannot tell the diff, in fact, they are a bit tastier!

The nights have a bit of coolness here in our part of Virginia and less humidity is always a plus.

Stay safe! 🥰

Mimi W

• Like 27

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Thursday smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  I’ll pass on the mud pack, try to be prepared and celebrate Maritime Day planning my cruises 🙂   I’ll be joining other Canadians in our first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation for our Indigenous People.

23D18B7C-316F-436A-9612-518AECBC0215.png.5f43265f1dffe7d88f94cacd680f7b13.png

Love the quote by Don Marquis.  Yum on the meal suggestion.  Love acorn squash and it’s that time of the year for it, too.  

@mamaofamiso glad that the day of Sam’s homecoming has arrived.  I hope you have a great dinner out celebrating Jared’s birthday 🙂 

Hilo is lovely and like many we went to the volcano park along with exploring the island.  The park is really amazing and is a sober reminder of how dangerous volcanos can be with so many blocked off areas.

@cat shepardgood luck with your ortho appointment today.  I suspect (and hope) he/she is very pleased and you are very relieved.  pretty soon you’ll be walking so well your children will be able to say this about you 😉 

8786D9C4-C270-4D31-9BEE-A50A84EBFE4B.thumb.jpeg.20d6c4cc01ca61b5e81639885633a66d.jpeg

I have another two trays of begonia bulbs drying in the front porch to protect them from rain.  Sadly, there is still lots to do - but, one day at a time 😉 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list!

Have a great Thursday everyone !!!!!!

926C245E-2F12-45CF-A0C8-9E5FE8FE2B21.thumb.jpeg.fb45ee9b0aa0cc6f6595b0cb70361476.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks !!!!!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Good morning all!  First of all Welcome Home Sam!  Have a good time celebrating Jared's 16th!

What a varied group of days to celebrate.  Mud pack?  Hmmm...   World Maritime Day sounds good to this "sailor".   Always like to be prepared.  Interesting quote.  Acorn squash is something my mother never heard of so we never had it on our dinner table.  Because of that I've never prepared it or ordered it in a restaurant or on a cruise ship.  Am I missing something?

Prayers for all of us, our friends and families who are in need of them.  Cheers to those celebrating something.  Hoping @lindaleris feeling fewer aches and pains from her fall, and @VMax1700's DGD's collarbone is mending nicely.  It's painful right at first.🙏

I checked my records and it seems we've been to Hilo four times, twice on the LA to Hawaii and back cruises and twice on the South Pacific cruises.  I know at least the first time we went to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, which everyone should.  If there aren't a lot of photos posted today (and I really think there will be, I'll post a few).  

But this morning I've invited my dear neighbor Brenda (who lost her Daddy and brother to Covid in August) over for coffee.  Yes, I, who confessed yesterday I never drink coffee invited her over for coffee!!  She will drink her coffee and I will drink my Crystal Light peach tea.  Since the weather is nice we'll sit at the bistro table and chairs on the shady covered porch and watch the neighbors drive up and down the street while we gossip.  😁  Maybe we'll see a moving truck or two because two houses right here across from us have closed this week so we shall have some new neighbors to get to know.  So time to get off the computer and get myself ready.  By the way, I'm feeling better this morning so hopefully that continues.  Everyone, enjoy your day and count your blessings!

• Like 30

Good morning Rich and Daily-ites. Thank you Rich, Roy, and all contributors. My morning coffee did not taste the same last week when I couldn't get to the Daily.

Cheers to all on Roy's list. Ann hoping you get your release today. Welcome home Sam!

So a scary thing happened last night. Our friend brought a bottle of cabernet and as soon as I pulled the cork out, the bottle exploded! What a mess. Another friend came in to help and said "grab a straw".. no idea how it shattered..

Today is supposed to be demolition day in the bathroom. Hoping all goes well. Tonight we are invited downtown to a place called Diva. They take a week off to store all the merchandise and stock it full with Christmas decor. Our friend is singing, then we're off to dinner. It sounds fun!

Take care, God bless, prayers and cheers.

image.thumb.png.db8b62efa8bf77884b6fb821ff7865dd.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I haven't had a mud pack facial in years - I do remember how soft and clean my face felt after having one, though.  I like to think I'm prepared most days, and I'd love to celebrate Maritime Day on a BHB.

As has been mentioned previously, today is the first official National Day for Truth and Reconciliation in Canada - a day to learn the history and honour the residential school victims, survivors and their families.  We will be wearing orange to honour them.

Another beautiful fall day here on the "frozen tundra", getting DH ready, as he and the drone crew are on their way out into the countryside to shoot more footage for their historical documentary.  They should get some great shots of the colourful foliage along the rivers, as the trees have suddenly burst into colour.  For that reason, it seems I'll be dining alone tonight, so I think I'll take out one of the bowls of chili I froze the other day and will enjoy that on the deck with a crusty bun.  And wine.

Welcome home Sam!!  @mamaofamiI can only imagine how happy you will be to have him home again!

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glass high tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wear your masks, wash your hands, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29

Good afternoon all!  cloudy and 59°F/15°C with rain just about to start.

The packing is going well.  4 days till we start travelling and as @rafinmd mentions in the Shout Outs, 6 days to sailing 😁 (ps. thanks for correcting the collar bone patient, Roy!)

I will offer another 'Countdown' .........23 days until our first PE Sailaway! 🤞

@mamaofami really pleased to hear that your Sam is arriving home today.  Enjoy that dinner.

DW went to the hairdresser today to get her 'cruise hair'.  I also went for a haircut.  When we met up afterwards I asked 'how can it take 2 and a half hours?? and cost so much? 🙄 She just smiled and said that my haircut cost more per minute than hers did, but if we were to cost it 'per hair' then I was robbed and she got a bargain 😢 

Positive thoughts to all on the care list and a big 👏 to those with celebrations.

• Like 23
  • Haha 10

Good morning everyone! Thanks to our Publisher Rich and fellow columnist.

Well it’s all coming down to this last event in an hour. Once walks are through we will be doing our on-line BiNax online Covid test.🙏🙏🙏

We do have back up test appointments just to be safe. Will let you know one way or the other!

Have a great day.

• Like 26