The Daily for Wednesday October 06, 2021

richwmn

Today is Come and Take it Day, Mad Hatter Day, and National Kale Day

The man who has no inner-life is a slave to his surroundings. - Henri Frederic Amiel

Meal suggestion for today - Apple Cider Glazed Chicken

Drink of the Day - Bronx

Wine of the day - Plasisir de Merle Cabernet Sauvignon - South Africa - Red

Destination of the Day - Guaymas Mexico

Ships with Passengers

San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 19:00

Trieste, IT
Eurodam 07:00 - 18:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Westerdam
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Ijmuiden NL
Rotterdam

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

Puerto Vallarta MX
Noordam

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam

1006Europe.thumb.png.940eda3ec3e8ec0c31ee32ded5a0a61b.png

1006NAmerica.thumb.png.c1f92a768e0d05d382bb78235b9b06c9.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

An interesting collection of days.  I had to google "come and take it" day.  (it refers to the firing of the first shot in the Texas revolution)   I'm not mad as a hatter. 🙂  I enjoy kale salad occasionally.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to the recipe.

The drink sounds good too, hope the wine is wonderful too.

Another port I have not visited, thanks in advance for all the pictures that will be posted.

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  I think I'll pass on all three of today's days.  Interesting quote by Amiel.  I've been to many Mexican ports but not Guaymas.  Apple Glazed Chicken sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho, Braised Lamb Shank, and Pineapple Crisp.  I forgot the camera for the desert but caught the sun going down at the end of dinner.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes06.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend recovering from liver transplant
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
VMAX1700  back injury
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruising-along on Eurodam
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Sea Viewer in Costa Maya
1 day for Vict0riann, VMaxx1700, sailingdutchy and NextOne
4 days for Sharon, lazey1 and Koningsdam
Mr Boston on Cape Cod
Kakalina back home
Nieuw Statendam in Everglades
Vict0rian reporting from Frabkfort
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 12

Good morning all...another early check-in before the office.  The days are long lately...

Not sure what Come and Take It day implies, I think the Mad Hatter Day is probably appropriate for the way most of my recent days have felt, and a hard-pass on Kale Day...

Today's meal sounds like a perfect fall dish - anxious to see the recipe.

Good thoughts to all for a happy Hump Day.

• Like 25

1 minute ago, msmayor said:

a hard-pass on Kale Day...

I'm with you 100% 😉

Have been to Guaymas a couple of times.  I'll try to find some pictures.  One vivid memory is how welcoming the people were.  There were residents  wearing blue t-shirts emblazoned with "Can I help you?" everywhere, watching out for the visitors, offering help to everyone who passed by. 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

oday's sunrise comes from a 2012 trip which was intended to be a circle out of New York, Blount's Grande Caribe through the Erie Canal to Montreal, and a return on the Crystal Symphony.  Due to Hurricane Irene causing a break in the canal, that was not quite to be.  Fortunately, the Grand Caribe was then on the Atlantic and the Grande Mariner was in the Great Lakes, and both ships were doing the canal.  My group cruised out of New York while the Grande Mariner started in Montreal and the 2 ships swapped passengers October 6, 2012 with a bus bridge and a day in Cooperstown while both ships were prepared for a new load of passengers.  This is the sun coming up before I disembarked the Grande Caribe:

surnrislk7.jpg

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone.

I had a great time at lunch yesterday.   We went to "our place" where we pretty much had the back room to ourselves.  It is nice when you settle in and know you'll be there for a while.  We take good care of our server and she takes great care of us.  

I'm going for my flu shot this morning and then hitting the grocery store.  I am making lunch for another friend for tomorrow.  We'll eat in here.  If it isn't threatening rain, we'll eat on the back deck.  Our menu will be fried chicken salad with green onion dressing and crusty bread.  

Today's meal is a nice one.  One recipe calls for marinating the chicken in cider, others do not.  

First, the marinated chicken.  It shows chicken breasts, but you can use any part of the chicken you like:  https://www.dessertfortwo.com/apple-cider-glazed-chicken/  

I would substitute for the carrots.

cider-glazed-chicken.thumb.jpg.4d0b4f5300f2b5b5d373c05d062413b6.jpg

The quick version with pecans:   https://therecipecritic.com/cider-glazed-chicken/

ciderglazedchickentitle.thumb.jpg.3300e5866e667f280fea8e1621742032.jpg

And here is one with apples:   https://bluejeanchef.com/recipes/apple-cider-glazed-chicken/

576415988_Cider-Chicken-with-Apples-1280-2184-819x1024(1).thumb.jpg.cbce00ff26e95f8060f786dde808fd2b.jpg

Wishing everyone a great day!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

Not sure if if I want to switch boroughs with my drinks on HAL. I'll have a "Brooklyn" instead.  😉

The chicken sounds seasonal and very good!

• Like 26

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Hump Day smile 🙂 

Thanks for the explanation on the Come & Take it Day @puppycanducruise.  It feels like it is Mad Hatter Day every day lately and I do enjoy some kale in a salad or cooked. (I said some) 😉 

Good quote by Amiel.  The chicken sounds good and I’ll save it for another night since chicken has been on the menu already this week.  I just discovered that yesterday was National Noodle Day and got this recipe so maybe I’ll attempt it to celebrate a day late.

3785C7E0-F0EB-4A47-A6F0-2A86010A752C.thumb.jpeg.ddbe3c69a9cd99669be9015e78cc371e.jpeg

DCABE6A0-4951-4574-ABA6-11D6598D9BE6.thumb.jpeg.56cbf0e598b5270aadfcab4fb6fcd703.jpeg

@Vict0riannsorry to hear you are having difficulty with CC.  It sounds like you might be needing this:

B9608C56-2405-4678-9257-BC8CB83187FE.thumb.jpeg.1c6400b1080b853e0b1cefeeb0cc3911.jpeg

Sadly, things have turned very badly here covid wise.  What was once a relatively safe place is not so much any longer 😔 The premier has instituted a circuit breaker for 14 days in many of our health zones. Ours is not in the group (yet) but all New Brunswickers must spend Thanksgiving with their single family household.  No one else.  So much for me having my friends over even though they are in my bubble 😢   

It just takes a few to spread the virus and create havoc.  My tolerance is getting low with “personal choice”:

51DDBC73-8EDB-4F9A-AD54-26B5ADBA0060.jpeg.77f59e21133df2973dc22e6af453b6b1.jpeg

I said this last year about 2021 and I’ll say it again about 2022:

5A88A073-B199-49FE-85B4-5DBE32252EF4.thumb.jpeg.d3485eea9b371866b2302201e0b9c326.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!!!

C29EE550-985A-4C78-9E0E-0AC82C4258E1.jpeg.56c3f4342542fad95463146b235c0943.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 35
  • Haha 6

Good morning from another bright sunny day here in Florida.  Interesting about the Come and Take it day.  Not a mad hatter here and absolutely do not like Kale.

Interesting quote.  The meal sounds and looks wonderful.  Will save it for another day.

Have not been to today's port, looking forward to the photo's.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Virtual hugs to all of us.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Bronx:

The Bronx is a cocktail. It is essentially a Perfect Martini with orange juice added. It was ranked number three in "The World's 10 Most Famous Cocktails in 1934" behind the Martini and the Manhattan. In the movie "The Thin Man" 1934, the lead actor compared the methods for shaking the Manhattan, Bronx, And Martini. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Gin
Ingredients: 1 oz (6 parts) Gin, 1/2 oz (3 parts) Orange juice, 1/2 oz (3 parts) Sweet Red Vermouth, 1/3 oz (2 parts) Dry Vermouth
Preparation: Pour into cocktail shaker all ingredients with ice cubes, shake well. Strain in chilled cocktail or martini glass.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Orange twist
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 7.57.47 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Yesterday was another busy work.  For most of the morning I was double booked!  Today’s meal suggestion sounded good and @dfish proved it .  Today I’m making DH happy, I’m putting on the flannel sheets.   @kazu sorry to hear about the covid news.  I hope that everyone has a good day today.

• Like 26

Good morning everyone, will arrive at Costa Maya this morning. I am really enjoying the cruise sailing on the open ocean is so restorative. The passenger count is approximately 40% and the Covid guidelines are being enforced. Staff are really happy to be back at work.i am enjoying the solarium, picture of my favorite chairs directly at the bow with a great view.

IMG_20211006_080135605_HDR.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Kale Day? I hope you are prepared to celebrate asparagus day when it comes! Please give my favorite veggie equal billing! Though perhaps it is not quite as healthy as kale is.

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists & sunrises/sunsets! Morning Dailyite family! A brief pop-up shower this morning delayed Bindi’s morning walk. I wish I had videoed her reaction when I opened the door and we saw it was pouring. She turned looked at me & headed back inside. Luckily it passed in less than 5 minutes, and when we headed out - the air felt so fresh.

My dishwasher arrived safely, and I have happily started filling it up! To celebrate, friends and I gathered at our Beachfront Winery. It is our first visit since early June, and they have added a bunch of new items to their menu. They had these amazing apricot-macadamia nut crackers that looked a bit like Melba toast pieces. And a olive tapenade hummus. And a great many new cheeses. There was a beautiful breeze and some gorgeous clouds off shore. It was a lovely night. 

Today’s meal sounds great - all versions! Thank you for so many options, Debbie!  And you may not know this, but your recipe for Portuguese Kale soup includes a link to a recipe for “flippers”. I have enjoyed a flipper, or two at the Provincetown Inn, so perhaps Ruth was making them the days I was there. But I bet it was her recipe!  

I am a bit sore from yesterday’s gym class. But it is a good sore. Just a couple of things that involved kneeling that I did not do. I may skip the gym today. Tomorrow I will be doing two classes - my first Pilates class since my injury. I am not good at guessing what things I might find challenging, so I have stopped guessing. I owe Bindi a really long walk, so perhaps that will be today’s activity.  Ooh and perhaps running the dishwasher with my knives to see if the water spots disappear. 😎. I sure know how to live it up, don’t I?

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Plasisir de Merle Cabernet Sauvignon

Another elusive wine. This South African Cab has very good - excellent ratings depending on the vintage. Though the 2016 has the best rating, I only found one online distributor. The 2017 is a bit more available with prices starting at $14.70. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The 
Cabernet Sauvignon by Plaisir de Merle reveals itself in the glass in a deep dark red and seduces with its aromatic bouquet. This flatters the nose with the aromas of mulberries, cedar wood and spices.

This red wine from South Africa reveals the delicious flavours of dark fruits such as cassis and blackberries on the palate. This taste experience is rounded off by sweet vanilla. Ripe tannins and a concentrated structure lead this Cabernet Sauvignon into its long and elegant finale.

Vinification of Plaisir de Merle Cabernet Sauvignon

The grapes for this wine come from 5 different vineyards of the location Simonsberg-Paarl. After harvesting, the grapes were destemmed and fermented in stainless steel tanks. After the fermentation was complete, the wine was left on the skins for 6 to 11 days for maceration. The malolactic fermentation then took place in stainless steel tanks and wooden barrels.

This Cabernet Sauvignon was then placed in French oak barrels for 12-16 months of ageing. 

Food recommendation for the Cabernet Sauvignon Plaisir de Merle

Enjoy this dry red wine with red meat, deer in balsamic sauce or with strong pepper steak. This red wine is the ideal food companion.

Awards for the Cabernet Sauvignon by Plaisir de Merle 

Platter's Wine Guide: 86-89 points for 2014, 2015, 2017. 91 points for 2016.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Good morning friends!  Another rainy morning/day for us.  DH empties the rain gauge about 5 pm each day and last evening we had had 4.2 inches of rain since Monday evening.  Crazy!  I hope today's total is a LOT less.  Sorry I'm late again - shampoo day again.  Thanks @richwmnfor our Daily report and also to @rafinmdfor keeping the lists for us.  So good to see the shorter Care list (prayers for all) and the longer Celebration list.  Cheers to all of you!🎉🥂

I haven't been to Guaymas, Mexico and who knows if I ever will?  I'm interested in photos from those who have been.  The chicken dish today sounds and looks interesting.  Thanks for those recipes, @dfish.   What a mix of days to celebrate today!  Kale is not my favorite, though one time my DDIL prepared kale in the oven, seasoned and rather crispy.  DH and I ate it like good in-laws do.  At least it wasn't seaweed though it did resemble it.🤔  I did read that today is also Canadian Beer Day so go for it everyone!  Celebrate!🍺

• Like 25

Good afternoon from a sunny 55°F UK.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the care, celebrations and shout out lists.

Mad hatter reminds me of Alice in Wonderland and Wonderland speciality restaurant on RC Harmony of the seas.

Kale is an important food source for many people.

Come and take it has a few interpretations in history.

We all have an inner voice and it is up to the individual how they use theirs.

Nice food but will give the drink a miss.

Looking forward to seeing photos of today's port.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care and happy cruising to everyone currently or shortly due to cruise.

Take care.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211006_133922.jpg

Screenshot_20211006_133852.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 23

Good morning everyone and thanks for today’s daily report Rich. Interesting collection of days and while I’m not a big fan of kale the Portuguese Kale soup that I had yesterday was wonderful, I could have that every day. The weather is clearing up today so we’ll rent bikes and go for a ride through the dunes and have a picnic along the way.  The quote is so true.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds great.  Haven’t been to today’s port and am enjoying the pictures so far. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers for everyone celebrating a happy event today. 

• Like 23

Top of the morning Rich. Thank you so much for the Daily. I look forward to reading it and seeing what our family is up to. I like the recipe Debbie, but would love Roy's lamb shank for dinner. No on both drinks.

59 this morning warming to 89. Sat outside til late last night enjoying music, candle light and a glass of wine. 

The clean up crew didn't do much on the clean up. I still have a big gray splotch of something they couldn't get up on the carpet. Allen says to keep the door closed until completion then we'll deal with it. Mr. Smarty Pants is right..

Our friend brought over a homemade chicken pot pie, salad, and cookies last night. How sweet and thoughtful and the pie turned out VERY good. 

No Mahjongg for students this month. Too much going on. 

One question: I can not find a picture of the outside balconies without overhead. (Category B) I tried to zoom in to the bump out but its fuzzy. We're in 8117 and 8090. HAL facts show the cabins and balcony, but not looking up on the balcony.

Have an awesome day. Our prayer list is shrinking! Prayers, Cheers and Blessings. 

• Like 23

Another set of interesting days.  To expand on @richwmnRich's explanation of Come and Take Day and the Battle of Gonzales here is a little more information. The battle was fought on October 2, 1835, 5 months before Texas independence was declared and is considered the first battle for Texas independence.  In 1831, the Mexicans gave the Texans a cannon to protect themselves from the Native Americans.  In 1835, the Mexicans wanted their cannon back, but in the brief battle near Gonzales, the Mexicans retreated and the Texans kept the cannon, and sparked the beginning of the fight for independence.

I think I'll pass on the other two days.  I'll also pass on the drink and the meal.  South African wines are good, and I'd like to try today’s wine.

Today's quote is interesting.

We have not been to today’s port, so will enjoy it through any pictures that are posted.  

@kazu  Jacqui, sorry to hear about the Covid numbers in New Brunswick.  Like you, my tolerance for personal choice when it harms others is almost non-existent, and I have trouble biting my tongue to keep from saying something I shouldn't.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, sorry you're having to live with that mess.  Allen's right, just keep the door shut.

Today should be an easier day after the last two very busy day.  I'm going to try to get some more things on the motorhome in preparation for the migration to Quartzsite soon.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I love history, so thank you @puppycanducruise@Quartzsite Cruiser.

@grapau27said, Madhatter reminds me of Alice in Wonderland.

Kale is okay as long as it is mixed in a salad or a soup. The Portuguese soup sounds good.  

@cat shepard

Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables, it is tied with brussel sprouts.

The meal sounds great and chicken is on the menu so I am going to see if I have all the ingredients.

We were at Home Depot at 6:30 this morning to pick up a few things. Got home, had coffee and am getting ready to paint more trim and doors. Oh, two pieces of trim were painted before we left this morning so they could dry while we were out.

I'm not sure what is going on, but my phone keyboard seems to be acting up so I will check in again later.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 23