The Daily for Tuesday October 12, 2021

richwmn

Today is Cookbook Launch Day, Old Farmer's Day, and Moment of Frustration Day

Pain and death are part of life. To reject them is to reject life itself. - Havelock Ellis

Meal suggestion for today - Honey Garlic Glazed Salmon

Drink of the Day - Black Nail

Wine of the day - Dos Almas 2015 Apogeo de Apalta Red (Colchagua Valley) Chile

Destination of the Day - Kirkwall Scotland United Kingdom

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Francisco

Manzanillo
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Souda(Chania), Greece
Eurodam 08:00 - 18:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Long Beach
Zuiderdam

Puerto Vallarta MX
Noordam

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam

Scheveningen
Rotterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

1012Europe.thumb.png.4daa165daea5db0cd499d8ac36d09a13.png

1012NAmerica.thumb.png.0d4cc25db8a80ae885f7e6c31689881a.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.

Cookbook launch day....who knew!  Old Farmers...used to love to read the farmers almanac.  And I seem to have more moments of frustration lately.

Interesting quote.

Have not been to today's port.  Looking forward to lhe photo's

Prayers, virtual hugs, and toasts to our lists and all of us.

Please continue to stay safe and social distance.  Wear your mask.

Black Nail:

The Black Nail cocktail consists of 3/4 ounce Irish whiskey and 3/4 Irish Mist with orange zest twist to garnish.[3]
Fill a rocks glass with ice cubes and then add the Irish whiskey and then Irish Mist.
Garnish the cocktail with the orange zest twist and then serve immediately.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 6.59.12 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I'm trying to write down my recipes, not sure if they'll make a cookbook.   Old farmers have great stories and knowledge to pass down.  I love the idea of Moment to Frustration Day.  We all have those.

Love the quote.

Dinner sounds good.

Thanks for the drink recipe @summer slopeSounds good.  Hope the wine is good too.

Another destination that I haven't visited, looking forward to seeing pictures.

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 21

Good morning. We are up early in order to have ample time to get ready for long excursion we are booked for today. There has been some movement all night and the creaking in this suite will let you know. I guess there is more to creak!

Enjoyed a turkey dinner with all the trimmings plus a slice of pumpkin pie. For all our Canadian friends I do hope you enjoyed your day of Thanksgiving.

Went to 7 PM show and saw a magician/comedian act. He was entertaining and I’m pretty sure I have seen him before.

More later in the day.

Thanks Rich and to all who contribute to the Daily.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  Cookbooks are great but I never use them.  Many of my relatives in Canada were farmers and  a few still.  I expect a few moments of frustration today as my furnace and A/C get replaced.  However much I want to reject death the Ellis quote rings true.  I have been to Scotland but not to Kirkwall.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the salmon.  My alternative is Chilled Strawberry Bisque, Chicken Scaloppini , and Apricot Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 12, 2017. 

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes12.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal’s friend recovering from liver transplant
dfish nephews kids covid  positive
cruisin single’s grandson mental issues
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

3 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Cruising-along, Vict0riann, VMaxx1700, sailingdutchy / NextOne,12cruise2/ AncientWanderer,  Sharon, and lazey1  at sea
recovery of smitty34877's family
Welcome home Crazy for Cats
ger_77in Calgary
Dianne Whelan-Full completion of Trans-Canada trail
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

Good morning everyone and thanks for today’s daily report Rich.  Today is the day that we recognize the old farmers’ sustainable farming practices.  It’s also the day that we go outdoors at noon in Greenwich England and scream for thirty seconds to relieve frustration. We certainly don’t have the room for another cookbook.  Not the most uplifting quote, while true.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious.  Haven’t been to today’s port so will anticipate the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today.

• Like 23

Good afternoon from a raining 54°F North East coast of England.

I have been doing sales calls for 5 hours and just got home for lunch.

Thank you for today's daily Rich.

Interesting days.

Thank you Roy for the care, celebration and shout out lists 

Farmer's deserve a day because of their dedication in producing crops and livestock to feed us.

Nice food and drink.

Covid19 has caused frustration with traveling.

Today's quote is poignant in life.

Sending prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Happy sailing to everyone currently or due to sail.

Take care.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211012_120336.jpg

Screenshot_20211012_120651.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I likr to flip through cookbooks. Love talking with farmers. Frustrations happen to us all and hopefully only last a moment.

Like the quote. The salmon sounds wonderful.

We are having fall like temperatures here. Crisp and fresh.

Lab work follow up with the doctor today and a grocery pick up.

@kazu how did you do with your list yesterday?

@erewhon no electricity makes for an extra long day. I hope you have a better day today.

Wishing everyone a great day.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 22

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists.

I like to tie frustrations to today's quote. Just accept them as part of life.

The meal sounds great. I have never tries the drink but it sounds wonderful.(similar to a rusty nail)

The weather here has definitely changed in the last week The mornings are delightfully cooler with lower humidity with afternoon temperatures still in the upper 80's. 

Stay safe everyone

• Like 21

As we are in Souda, the port near Chania, I will try to post a photo from the market.   Sometimes I can post, and sometimes I can’t.  That’s my frustration!  

Turns out I can’t get a photo up, but I am here!  Thinking of you all.  We had a big storm around lunchtime, but the sun is shining now.  The staff like this port, there’s lots of good shopping and good prices.  I bought a chunk of lava for DS’s rock collection for E1.80.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyoe. I can certainly relate to frustration day. The new aide seems very nice, until we found out that although the agency knows we want only fully vaccinated people, this man was vaccinated yhe day before the deadline for home health aides to be able to work. So, he had one shot of Moderna on 9/29 and his next one is on 10/29, an hour ride away. He does drive and has his car here, but he asked Sam to go with him for his second shot. That would be almost laughable if he wasn't serious. And who is going to take care of him when he ha a reaction. We didn't think to ask him until he had already been here four 4 hours unmasked. it's too late now for us to worry about catching something from him. Of course, the head of the agency apologized profusely. I'm so frustrated with this agency and getting decent help is so difficult.

I love the sound of today's  recipe.

Anyone think Matt looked like his heart wasn't in Mondays game and he kind of lost on purpose. Maybe school started up at Yale and he wanted to go back. He certainly knew some of those answers especially if I did.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  Cookbooks are great but I never use them.  Many of my relatives in Canada were farmers and  a few still.  I expect a few moments of frustration today as my furnace and A/C get replaced.  However much I want to reject death the Ellis quote rings true.  I have been to Scotland but not to Kirkwall.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the salmon.  My alternative is Chilled Strawberry Bisque, Chicken Scaloppini , and Apricot Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 12, 2017. 

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes12.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal’s friend recovering from liver transplant
dfish nephews kids covid  positive
cruisin single’s grandson mental issues
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

3 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Cruising-along, Vict0riann, VMaxx1700, sailingdutchy / NextOne,12cruise2/ AncientWanderer,  Sharon, and lazey1  at sea
recovery of smitty34877's family
Welcome home Crazy for Cats
ger_77in Calgary
Dianne Whelan-Full completion of Trans-Canada trail
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for both lists Roy.

• Like 7

Good morning, everyone.

@rafinmd You can take my nephew and his kids off the prayer list.  My sisters report the kids are as energized as the bunny and doing very well.  My nephew has recovered quite rapidly as well.  Now that they are recovered, another nephew's family all went for testing on Sunday.  Only one came back positive - one of the boys and he probably picked it up at school.  He has a very mild case so far.  I was supposed to have lunch with friends tomorrow but they called and said we need to postpone because they were exposed to COVID through their grandson.  The grandson picked it up at daycare.  Both of my friends are vaccinated, but we are taking the cautious approach.  

I have the second part of my nerve ablation today.  Hopefully it will go as well as the last time.  It may be uncomfortable on the table, but the results are worth it.  Nothing the doctor is doing is painful, just me and my hip.  X-rays showed nothing, so it must be nerves and coming from my back.

Today's meal is a great one.  I love salmon and this would be a great way to fix it.  I might leave out the honey due to the sugar content, but we'll see.  This is also a great way to do chicken.  

For this first one get your cast iron skillets out.  You're going to pan fry and then put it under the broiler.  https://cafedelites.com/easy-honey-garlic-salmon/

Browned-Butter-Honey-Garlic-Salmon-IMAGE-1.thumb.jpg.ed2fd7da5dad46cba5fd97a1387fe0fb.jpg

Here is the baked variety:  https://www.wellplated.com/honey-glazed-salmon/

526925953_How-to-Make-Honey-Garlic-Glazed-Salmon(1).thumb.jpg.6fdef0eb5e649bcb256e37c5d9bd867b.jpg

Have a great day, everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Anyone think Matt looked like his heart wasn't in Mondays game and he kind of lost on purpose. Maybe school started up at Yale and he wanted to go back. He certainly knew some of those answers especially if I did.

I kind of thought the same thing.  

• Like 10

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Tuesday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days!  I need another cookbook like I need a hole in the head but one good thing that came out of the pandemic is the The Official Quarantine Cookbook. (Now 3 of them).  It’s a great group on FB that shared recipes and ideas during the lockdown and from that a cookbook was born.  Great recipes (our own Gerry @ger_77) has been published there 😉 All the profits go to charity.  Wonderful!

Farmers are our life blood and deserve more than a day.  I will definitely be celebrating moment of frustration today as I continue to work at what seems like an endless job outside.  @JAM37 & @erewhonthanks for asking but no, I didn’t get everything on my list finished yesterday.  I should have known I wouldn’t - I tend to overestimate what I can accomplish in 6 hours.  DH will be off to buy me more compost bags.  I have run out and both my bins (my neighbour gives me hers to use) are full 😔   The dust in the house will have to wait for tomorrow 😉 

BDBAF0FB-7422-4E0E-A83E-3C69E23983FB.jpeg.e876c90480ab24f80d16e86950ddca55.jpeg

Today is another nice day and the last so pitter patter - I will have to get at her.

Good quote by Ellis.  Salmon - yum.  We will be in Kirkwall next June.  So looking forward to it 👍 

@mamaofamiwow on them sending someone who is not fully vaccinated.  That’s unbelievable and so disappointing 😡 And they were unmasked????  WTH????

@dfish great news on your nephew and his children 👍 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday, everyone !!!!!!

E23BC925-4D95-496F-8C9B-FD2B285A9488.thumb.jpeg.8f3c8ae1388fd4d9d2a1fc5a4a92a6d2.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

@rafinmd You can take my nephew and his kids off the prayer list.  My sisters report the kids are as energized as the bunny and doing very well.  My nephew has recovered quite rapidly as well.  Now that they are recovered, another nephew's family all went for testing on Sunday.  Only one came back positive - one of the boys and he probably picked it up at school.  He has a very mild case so far.

Good news on the recovery.

• Like 12

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! The trick is to limit the frustration to just a moment.  I wonder if I can get my neighbors to join me outside to yell for thirty seconds. Though technically we missed Noon Greenwich time. 

Roy thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyite family.  @mamaofami, I am stunned to learn that not only was your aide not fully vaccinated, he did not even understand the necessary mask protocol.  I suspect that the agency is having difficulty attracting and keeping great help, but….
I read a great PBS article about “The Great Resignation of 2021”. In the first few months of 2021 more than 25 million people in the USA resigned!  Many totally dropped out of the job market, so they do not show in the unemployment ranks. Those interviewed said they used the pandemic to reassess their employment situation. Health field workers were burnt out. Hospitality field workers were concerned about their employer’s lack of Covid-19 protocols. Others accepted their treatment would not improve, so left. The majority are starting their own businesses. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in our economy. 

Debbie, today’s meal - both recipes, sounds delicious. Off to the gym. Doing well. Still have difficulty standing & balancing on my recovering leg, while moving the other one around. But even that is improving. Once I can do that without feeling pressure on the knee, I will try a dance class. 😎

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone !

Dos Almas 2015 Apogeo de Apalta Red

I opted to go with the 2016 vintage, since it shares the same very good rating as the 2015’s, AND it is available for a mere $46.14 as opposed to the 2015’s $104!
I found a great site with lots of good info about this wine. Hope this works.  Sigh it is a bit blurry. My usual sources didn’t offer much. Here is the url, so if you want to read a clearer version… https://www.xtrawine.com/en/wines/dos-almas-apogeo-2016/p29619
6C60D9BB-0E1E-4FC3-8B39-535234A0A433.thumb.jpeg.c1d5257f9d80fccc2133817833308176.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Busy this morning getting ready for my hair appointment and am leaving in a few minutes.  So I will be back to read everything this afternoon.  I did see the port of the day is Kirkwall and I've not been there.  I hope we see some interesting photos of the scenery and town.  

Have to check I have a disposable face mask for my appointment today in my purse.  I still wear one even though my hairdresser and I have been vaccinated.  You never know what might happen!

Have a good morning all!

• Like 18