Gifts for crew?

JF - retired RRT

I recently saw a YouTub video from a crew member that I respect & his 1st choice was SOCKS as many times all of the machines in the laundry room are being uses & this would really help. 

I’m not against cash but his request was sincere. 

Tom😀

• Thanks 1

There are lots of occupations where you give them tips.  How many of them besides cruise ship people get gifts.  If you lived in an apartment bldg in NYC, would you give the doorman a gift for Christmas as opposed to cash.

DON

• Like 2

I once had an IC Barrista tell me that he really liked it when I commented (in writing) to the Captain & cc corporate on how he made my cruise especially nice. So I write up my 2 favorite on each voyage and include that on the survey. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

There are lots of occupations where you give them tips.  How many of them besides cruise ship people get gifts.  If you lived in an apartment bldg in NYC, would you give the doorman a gift for Christmas as opposed to cash.

DON

Actually a lot of people give gifts on top of their tips, in my experience. But now I work in a job without tips, just horrendous bills at the end, and I still frequently get gifts.

7 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I once had an IC Barrista tell me that he really liked it when I commented (in writing) to the Captain & cc corporate on how he made my cruise especially nice. So I write up my 2 favorite on each voyage and include that on the survey. 

I write a nice little note and drop it to the hotel manager while I’m still on board, or if I see him out and about have a word about the person,.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:
20 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Expand  

I write a nice little note and drop it to the hotel manager while I’m still on board, or if I see him out and about have a word about the person,.

👍 supposedly there's a pool that the written cards are entered into, 1 is drawn and that person gets a 'bonus.' Not sure if it is $$ or shore time or what. But it is something 

I've given my minibar leftovers to the cruise director's assistants. They have expressed appreciation. I once gave chocolate-covered strawberries to the photographers when I went to pick up our photo from the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. They also expressed their appreciation, saying it was such a treat for them. 

That said, I still believe cash is the best unless you ask a particular cabin steward, waiter, or other staff member if you could pick something up for them in port.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, geoherb said:

ask a particular cabin steward, waiter, or other staff member if you could pick something up for them in port.

Great idea!!

So my takeaway is:

☆Cash

☆Written commendation 

Candies from their country 

Ask the steward (or fav Barrista) if I can pick something up in port 

Edited by Ombud

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Not if I ever again wanted a cab in the rain . . .

I sure didn't appreciate it when the dean gave me a cheesy Christmas tree ornament and a cheap little planner last Christmas instead of a cash bonus, so why would I turn around and do the same to someone else? 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Ombud said:

I once told one of the waitresses on a HAL ship that I wanted to give her one of those writeups that she was one of the crew that made my cruise special, but I needed to know her name and did not think it was appropriate to stare at her chest where her nametag was.😉 She made sure I knew her name, and even quized me on it even after I told her I had turned in my positive report.

And I still remember her name, Honeyeyo, even though it is now several years since that cruise.

11 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Cash, real cash, always works best for showing appreciation.  Crew sign on to make money they don't have the opportunity to earn in their home country.  Cash is easy to carry home and even to convert to send to family.  Please always remember that crew are also human. like you, and work hard for your consideration.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, trbarton said:

I recently saw a YouTub video from a crew member that I respect & his 1st choice was SOCKS as many times all of the machines in the laundry room are being uses & this would really help. 

I’m not against cash but his request was sincere. 

Tom😀

Are you referring to Chris Wong? Or is there another ship's crew that mentioned socks?

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Are you referring to Chris Wong? Or is there another ship's crew that mentioned socks?

Is there a way that crew members can order stuff off the internet and have it somehow delivered to the ship.  If so, you could give Chris cash and he can order any socks that he wants.  Also, do crew members get occasional time off at major cities.  If so, Chris could go to a local store and buy socks.  Same for candy and treats. 

We all have to remember that crew members know that some of their money comes from tips.  If you give the crew member a t-shirt from your local bowling league, do you think that he is going to tell you what he really thinks of the gift or is he going to gush over the thing and then toss it in the trash or use it to polish his shoes.

DON

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Is there a way that crew members can order stuff off the internet and have it somehow delivered to the ship. 

Yes. They can order from Amazon (or others) and have the item(s) delivered to the port care of the port agent.

Someone posted this info in an earlier thread.

Cash.  Easy to pack.  Easy to give.  Can be used by the recipient for what he or she REALLY wants.

Are some  people suggesting that a ten dollar box of candy, a T shirt,  or a pair of socks would be more appreciated than $50. cash or some other amount?  Really???

And before saying yes....one might want to consider the dietary, faith based, or allergy restrictions that a person may have or subscribe to.  I cannot wear wool socks...why on earth would I assume that everyone else can including any of the cruise staff?   No different than many other products-food and attire.

Bottom line for us...Cash is KING!  We have so much compared to many who work long hours on these cruise ships. 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 9:06 AM, PrincessLuver said:

I just do not think some Hershey's Kisses are really going to mean that much to crew versus something like $2.00 bills in a thank you note........

Giving Hershey's Kisses to someone that is not from the USA could be considered an insult due to the strange taste of them.

11 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Is there a way that crew members can order stuff off the internet and have it somehow delivered to the ship.  If so, you could give Chris cash and he can order any socks that he wants.  Also, do crew members get occasional time off at major cities.  If so, Chris could go to a local store and buy socks.  Same for candy and treats. 

We all have to remember that crew members know that some of their money comes from tips.  If you give the crew member a t-shirt from your local bowling league, do you think that he is going to tell you what he really thinks of the gift or is he going to gush over the thing and then toss it in the trash or use it to polish his shoes.

DON

We get Don, cash is the only way you go... many of us do both.  My DH is from Europe, he has always given tips and gifts everywhere he goes and I mean every where.  You would be amazed at the reaction and response he gets,  Folks never forget  him and are very happy to see him again.  We have been on international flights were he passed out small gifts to every steward that came by his seat and they all did.  Once we flew out of NY to Europe and came back thru Miami to San Francisco.  The head cabin staff person was on our flight going out and was surprised to see us board in Miami, gave him a big hug and welcome.   He treats folks at banks, doctor's offices, small markets to treats, I call him Santa Claus.  Once we were walking thru a small street market in Israel, my Dh was wearing a Spanish Cologne that a street vendor complimented him on, so happen my DH had a small sample back at our hotel, next day he gave the guy the sample. .  Made the Street vendor's day. Cash is king but connecting with folks in a personal way is a gift in itself.   

• Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 5:14 AM, ontheweb said:

It is the same principle as when my TA has told me he only gives OBC rather than something specific like a bottle of wine because he would rather have the passenger have the option of what to do with the extra he provides. Cash works the same way with the crew.

In the hundreds of tipping threads I have fallen down the rabbit hole with on CC, this provides the best rebuttal. The next time you’re wondering whether to give a crew member candy/socks/keychain, etc. versus cash, ask yourself what you would like your travel agent to give YOU for your next cruise. Thank you, ontheweb, for this perfect response. And this applies even for those who are giving those sundry items above and beyond the regular gratuities. Five dollars worth of candy or five dollars cash which can be converted to 250 rupees for an Indian crew member? I know what I’d prefer.

• Like 5

For DH and I, cash is king.  We always get the envelopes from guest services to hand out extra.  Occasionally, we have given gifts.  All of the gifts were bought after asking a crew member if there is something they need from ashore.  We have also shipped something to a crew member whose ship was based out of Tampa at the time.

Cash is king, but we see the gifts as doing something personal.  We never replace cash with a gift.  The gift is on top of the cash.  Since we always ask, we feel better in knowing that we are getting something that person really wants.  

I really like the idea of snack items from the home countries.  I have several friends here in the states who are Filipino.  I gave one a bottle of vinegar from the Philippines.  She was thrilled and re-gifted it to her grandmother who cooked some of their favorite Filipino dishes for the family.  (Note:  LOTS of the Filipino recipes call for vinegar).  The next time we cruise, I will bring a bag of snacks from the usual crew countries (Philippines, India, Malaysia, Eastern Europe).  I can see getting something from home putting a smile on their face.

So I do not get quoted on the cash thing, we never let gifts replace cash.  We absolutely know most are working to send money home to their families.  That is the most important thing you can do for a crew member is cash.

On 10/31/2021 at 1:04 AM, rdsqrl said:

I sure didn't appreciate it when the dean gave me a cheesy Christmas tree ornament and a cheap little planner last Christmas instead of a cash bonus, so why would I turn around and do the same to someone else? 

I think this was covered in "Christmas Vacation", where Clark wanted to use his holiday bonus

to install a pool, and he received "Jelly of the Month"

(no disrespect to jelly folks)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I did read that gift cards do not have to be turned in and shared at any time.  This seemed like a good idea to use especially if you want to give them something at the beginning of the cruise.  Amazon gift cards were mentioned, and of course, Visa gift cards are as good as cash.