Tips for packing fir 2-3 week cruise?

MimiMomma

Pack for a one week cruise and use the ship's laundry service. It usually cheaper than paying for extra bags at the airport.

Coordinate your wardrobe. For example, black tan and red items. All match each other, so you can get many outfit choices with fewer clothes.

Bring half of the shoes you think you'll need.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We went on a 6 week getaway to Australia, NZ and the Cook Islands using 2 small 21" pieces of luggage for our clothes and employed the advice given by Sea42 to use laundry services along the way.

We kidded each other when packing that it wasn't like we were making a permanent move or re-location.

1 hour ago, MimiMomma said:

Any suggestions for packing for a 2-3 week cruise? Is there enough room

to put things on inside room? Balcony room?

No seasoned cruiser will pack for more than 7-10 days (no matter how long is the cruise) and they’ll use the ship’s laundry.

Our preferred line is Oceania, which has complimentary self-serve laundry rooms. In addition, there are laundry services with “special” sales over the course of longer itineraries (and complimentary laundry services for some higher cabin classes).

Our average cruise lengths range from 3-6 weeks +\-. Often they cross different climates and include activities that require “gear” (e.g., snorkeling, hiking, etc). We currently use two 29” suitcases for clothes/gear based on no more than an 8-10 day “rotation.” And that exact “rotation” takes into account our itinerary’s sea days and daily schedules (tours, specialty restaurants reservations, cooking classes, etc) in determining when one of us will spend time in the laundry room.

Though we most often fly bizclass (with 70 lb limit on a checked bag), we aim for <50 lbs as a habit should we end up with economy seats or use an airline where our credit card doesn’t get us a 70 lb limit.

As aforementioned, “pack light” which means mix/match outfits, invest in light weight layered stuff, omit the “prom” clothes, etc. And, yes, most folks pack way too many shoes. For men, all you really need are good deck shoes (e.g., Sebago Clovehitch) that are great for walking/active use and look good with dockers and collared shirt. Add water shoes for beach/aquatic activities. That’s it! 

As for storage, most suitcases will fit under the cabin bed and actually provide added storage (we keep the “gear” in them). My only caveat is the size. As I said earlier, our current well-traveled checked bags are TravelPro 29”- pretty much the max “linear” checked bag size (avoiding an extra charge) for some intercontinental airlines. One problem with them is that they can challenge the trunk on some ground transport vehicles. And, for underbed storage, they fit best with the tops left open. FWIW: After more than a decade of constant use, we’re looking at new luggage and will aim for something between 26” and 28” (yes, that’s a big difference in the travel world).

BTW, we also use small TravelPro rollaboards (fit under airline seats) for valuables/docs/meds/electronics and a couple of extra clothing items (just in case we encounter a dreaded luggage delay) and we pack light/sturdy collapsible cardboard wine carriers to shop for wine in embarkation ports (and other ports, thanks to O’s liberal personal booze policy). They too can be used for underbed storage. And they bungee to the small rollaboards for embarkation.

As for magnetic hooks and over door storage hangers: If you need these, you’ve packed way too much stuff!

170D8BC4-4EC6-476A-BA27-B236558FC217.jpeg

We tend to massively over pack - a 'benefit' of being local to the cruise port - but that translates to about 10 days of clean clothing. [Plus a wine filled roll on suitcase [padded with many socks], camera and other electronics] 

We also include formal wear, rain coats, and for our upcoming Northern Lights sailing winter clothing.

I plan on visiting the laundry about once a week, and using the ship's cleaning service for stuff like tux shirts that need pressing.

You tube has quite a few videos on packing tips for cruises.  Check them out. What NOT to pack can be as important as what to include. And yes, cut down on the number of pairs of shoes. For ladies, 1 pair of shoes for evenings, one pair of casual shoes for day time/excursions, and perhaps one pair of flip flops or sandals.

Heavy duty magnets with hooks can be found at any hardware store or on Amazon.

On most lines there really is not more "storage" space in a balcony cabin than in an inside cabin. Closet and drawer space generally is standard (unless you are in a suite).

Make a list and stick to it. Don't pack for more than a week with maybe a couple of extra tops. Underwear and socks are easy to hand wash -- only takes a couple of minutes at the end of the day.

Don't pack a lot of "just in case" items. You don't really need things like room decorations, memo boards, laundry hampers, flameless candles, etc. A little ingenuity works just fine. Extra hangers can be provided by your steward if needed. Take time on the first day to figure out a place for everything and keep things stowed as much as you can to avoid a messy look in a small space.

• Like 3

Some cruise lines have self service laundries available.  Others offer only the cruise line's service, but some have specials for around $25.00 for a small bag of laundry.  What cruise line are you sailing on?

You can also hand wash small items in your bathroom sink and hang them in the shower.  There is usually a clothesline you can connect in the shower.

All the ships we've been on provide more than adequate clothing storage space and have both a closet and drawers.  As previously mentioned, if your things don't fit you packed too much!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MimiMomma said:

Any suggestions for packing for a 2-3 week cruise? Is there enough room

to put things on inside room? Balcony room?

I looked to see if there was a subthread here on packing.  I see fashion and saving money subthreads, but no direct hits.

You've received a lot of good advice, so I'll be brief in highlighting what I do.  I've done cruises up to 14 days in length:

• I pack for 5-7 days
  • More underwear than socks, and more socks than pants
  • Wear the bulkiest items to (and from) the port if you dare
  • I get free bags of laundry on one of the cruise lines I use, and that's a big help
  • A carry-on and briefcase can carry a surprising amount

My best tip is to wear things more than once.  On warm weather cruises  I like to wear a sundress to dinner with jewelry, a shawl or shrug, and dress shoes.  Next day I wear the same dress with flip flops and a simple or fun necklace.  One dress, two outfits!

The OP is on Emerald Princess in January full Panama Canal transit.  There is no more storage in a Princess balcony cabin than in an inside.  The open closet will have at least six feet of hanging space, and you can stack extra suitcases there.  Princess has self service laundry, though it is not free.  OP, you can ask these questions on your roll call, to find out what your fellow cruisers are packing.  EM

• Like 1

Pack the same as you would for a stay in a hotel room. Take clothes that are either easy to hand wash or can withstand a commercial machine. 

Most cases opened up will fit under most beds. Use as extra drawer for spare or infrequently used items. Take a large plastic bag for dirty laundry storage. 

Think if items can double up, eg shampoo can be used to hand-wash clothes if need be, so unless planning to hand wash don't take detergent. 

Take clothes that can be worn during day, or accessorised for evening.  

Don't worry about wearing the same outfit a few times during a cruise. You won't see any fellow passengers again, so who cares if they think you only own 4 shirts and two pairs of slacks. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Pack the same as you would for a stay in a hotel room. Take clothes that are either easy to hand wash or can withstand a commercial machine. 

Most cases opened up will fit under most beds. Use as extra drawer for spare or infrequently used items. Take a large plastic bag for dirty laundry storage. 

Think if items can double up, eg shampoo can be used to hand-wash clothes if need be, so unless planning to hand wash don't take detergent. 

Take clothes that can be worn during day, or accessorised for evening.  

Don't worry about wearing the same outfit a few times during a cruise. You won't see any fellow passengers again, so who cares if they think you only own 4 shirts and two pairs of slacks. 

Best advice yet. 

However, you really only have to pack 1 outfit as you are already wearing one.  If you have only 2 outfits, you really have 4 ensembles.  1) Top A plus Bottom A.  2) Top A plus Bottom B.  3) Top B plus Bottom A.  4) Top B plus Bottom B.  

Also, there are lots of options for fast drying undergarments so you need only 3 sets - 1 that you wear when you board and 2 extra.  

Shoes take a lot of space.  You could get by with 1 pair of shoes - a combination walking and sort of dress that you wear when you board but I take 2 pair.  I wear my walking shoes when I board and pack a pair of Birkenstocks for on board wear.  Birks worn with dark socks are my dress shoes.  If women can wear sandals as dress shoes, so can I.

DON

• Like 1

1 minute ago, donaldsc said:

Best advice yet. 

However, you really only have to pack 1 outfit as you are already wearing one.  If you have only 2 outfits, you really have 4 ensembles.  1) Top A plus Bottom A.  2) Top A plus Bottom B.  3) Top B plus Bottom A.  4) Top B plus Bottom B.  

Also, there are lots of options for fast drying undergarments so you need only 3 sets - 1 that you wear when you board and 2 extra.  

Shoes take a lot of space.  You could get by with 1 pair of shoes - a combination walking and sort of dress that you wear when you board but I take 2 pair.  I wear my walking shoes when I board and pack a pair of Birkenstocks for on board wear.  Birks worn with dark socks are my dress shoes.  If women can wear sandals as dress shoes, so can I.

DON

Donald, my dear chap, I'm British. One hopes that if you are wearing sandals with socks the sandals are brown leather and the socks are calf length and grey. 😏😁

On the subject of shoes, I take two pairs, a pair that are comfortable to walk in and smart enough for most occasions, and a pair that are spares, smart,  but can be worn all day if need be, or situation requires

• Like 1

If you are going on a two-three week cruise, you should pack for a two-three week cruise.  

The idea of not washing ANYTHING while on a two-three week cruise means that you will either stink you will or overload yourself.

Just THINK - and plan a bit.  If you do not want to spend any time washing clothes, you should pack accordingly.   If you are willing to do some laundry, you can obviously pack a bit less. 

Once more:  just THINK.

How are you getting to your cruise?  If you are driving, do a dry run…pack your suitcases and practice getting them to the car.  If you are flying, pack those same cases and drag them around the neighborhood as you might in the airport.  And from baggage claim until you get transport to your hotel, and hotel to ship.  We never packed huge suitcases.
      In 2013 we made an epic trip:  cross country on Amtrak to San Diego including three train changes.  Boarded Celebrity Infinity through the Panama Canal to FLL, stayed on to Harwich.  Two nights in London, four night cruise on Queen Elizabeth; fly to Venice, three nights there before boarding Celebrity Silhouette to Barcelona, fly home.  We each had a large personal item, carryon, and about 25” case.  The clincher was the trek across the Piazzale Roma from out airport shuttle to our hotel.  Then and there, we resolved that we would never again travel with more than a backpack and carryon.  
We have held to this for 8 years.  We are currently 77 & 78.  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

How are you getting to your cruise?  If you are driving, do a dry run…pack your suitcases and practice getting them to the car.  If you are flying, pack those same cases and drag them around the neighborhood as you might in the airport.  And from baggage claim until you get transport to your hotel, and hotel to ship.  We never packed huge suitcases.
      In 2013 we made an epic trip:  cross country on Amtrak to San Diego including three train changes.  Boarded Celebrity Infinity through the Panama Canal to FLL, stayed on to Harwich.  Two nights in London, four night cruise on Queen Elizabeth; fly to Venice, three nights there before boarding Celebrity Silhouette to Barcelona, fly home.  We each had a large personal item, carryon, and about 25” case.  The clincher was the trek across the Piazzale Roma from out airport shuttle to our hotel.  Then and there, we resolved that we would never again travel with more than a backpack and carryon.  
We have held to this for 8 years.  We are currently 77 & 78.  EM

We pack for seven days.  Carry on roller.  Does not matter if it is one week or nine weeks.  All the same to us.   Only exception is if we are doing a driving vacation from home.  Airline  baggage fees have nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Same story....walking up two or three flights of stairs, getting on and off small ferries or in and out of longtail boats. Or in and out of rental cars.  Walking several blocks over cobbled streets with our bags.

IF we were going from  home to cruise ship and back it might be different.   But this is not our travel regime since retiring.

Edited by iancal

I don't believe it is worth that much overthinking and effort. Pack what you will wear. Be mindful of costs. Would you rather pay for laundry or extra baggage? Some people will come with multiple bags. Some will purchase the laundry service. Some will pack as light as possible.

For me, I'll bring one suitcase and a backpack. I'll usually have 40-50 lbs weight limit. Whatever fits, fits. I'll figure the rest as I go. Cruises are lots of polyester shirts and bathing suits for me. Easily hand washable. 

• Like 1

For our two week cruises I am allocated one very large suitcase.   I pack until one of the following is achieved: 

1) I run out of clothes.

2) I run out of space in the suitcase.

3) I hit the airline weight limit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh, good grief. I’ve only every truly ‘done laundry’ on a couple trips. Even then it wasn’t a weeks worth washed 3 times. I’ve been on 3-4 week trips and there’s no reason to waste money on expensive laundry services. If self serve laundry is available that is often a good option. Otherwise, outer garments can be worn several times if you aren’t messy. Inner garments can usually be washed in sink and dried on shower/balcony.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

dried on shower/balcony.

Don't forget ever since the fire that started on a balcony on Star Princess, guests have been discouraged from leaving articles like clothing/towels on their balcony.  Cabin Stewards are instructed to remove anything like that when they see it on the balcony.  

19 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Don't forget ever since the fire that started on a balcony on Star Princess, guests have been discouraged from leaving articles like clothing/towels on their balcony.  Cabin Stewards are instructed to remove anything like that when they see it on the balcony.  

I didn’t say I leave them on my balcony unattended. 

and I’m also pretty sure that clothing hanging over a chair does not start fires

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

and I’m also pretty sure that clothing hanging over a chair does not start fires

But, a carelessly discarded overboard lit cigarette can be caught in the wind and be blown onto another balcony where there is a garment/towel.  That is the suspected reason for the Star Princess fire.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

But, a carelessly discarded overboard lit cigarette can be caught in the wind and be blown onto another balcony where there is a garment/towel.  That is the suspected reason for the Star Princess fire.  

A lit cigarette should not be carelessly thrown overboard over any circumstance.  But a wet towel hanging over a chair poses on docked boat with no wind (the only circumstances I would do that) poses no threat to the ship. Sounds like they should be focusing their fire prevention efforts on the smokers.

• Like 2