The Daily for Sunday November 07, 2021

richwmn

Did your adjust your clock last night or this morning?

Today is Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day, Book Lovers Day, National Canine Lymphoma Awareness Day, and Little League Girls Day

Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts. - E. B. White

Meal suggestion for today - Polenta Cakes With Sautéed Mushrooms

Drink of the Day - Tequila Sour

Wine of the day - Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon - Washington - Red

Destination of the Day - Benoa (Denpasar) Bali Indonesia

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Atlantic
Rotterdam Half Moon Cay

Half Moon Cay
Nieuw Amsterdam Bahamas 08:00 - 14:00

Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel, AZ
Eurodam 07:00 – 16:00

San Diego, California
Koningsdam 06:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea North Sea
Oosterdam

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Panama Canal eta 11/12
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 11/14

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam Anchorage

1107Europe.thumb.png.388427b455239a2e93ea74bc302b956e.png

1107NAmerica.thumb.png.f57f0e20f0e2ced83787f6c2f00ba95c.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

We changed the clocks last night before going to bed. 

Chocolate and a good book seem like a good combination for me today. 😊

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the dinner suggestion, no mushrooms in the house, but I may make that another night.

Hope the drink of the day and wine are tasty too.

Another port I have not visited, looking forward to seeing pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good morning everyone and I hope you remembered to set your clocks back.  Thanks for the daily report Rich. Nice collection of days, hmm a piece of bittersweet chocolate with almonds while reading a book, I’m there.  Canine lymphoma awareness is important for dog owners and hats off to Little League Girls.  Unfortunately today’s quote is all too common but seems to be better than when I was young, needs improvement.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion, not a big fan of polenta.  The drink sounds nice though.  Haven’t been to today’s port but can’t wait to see the photos.  I’m off to mass shortly and will pray for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers everyone celebrating a happy event today!

• Like 24

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

To answer your crucial question of the day - the few clocks in the house that had to be done were done last night.  The car can wait until I am in it 😉 

Good collection of days. Chocolate & a book sound like a great idea.  Canine lymphoma is a sad thing and I can’t celebrate it. 

That quote of E.B. White’s is right on the money.  

Have to work on more leaves today and clean up the mess I made in the porch with my bulbs.  That way I can put the paper compost bags in the porch instead of in the garage - we need to clean up the garage to prep it for winter, the car & my front fencing which will go in tomorrow.  I hope the weather improves 🤞 

4A6DF7BF-C0BB-4AFC-83BC-D88BCC63FE9A.thumb.jpeg.6b34c16986479c53ebf019d85bbceae4.jpeg

This year marks the 100th anniversary of the poppy in Canada 👍 Good to remember:

30028C75-6B04-4014-A01E-B5C3C9A2C1DD.thumb.jpeg.ccf64513e08dcbd72d75eb3e216584bc.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!!!

D9036784-E7D3-4255-B55B-DCEC078CE102.jpeg.3ca38bbb1f13a2b6171958b29288e569.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 30
  • Haha 9

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I changed some clocks last night and will do more today.   Interesting collection of days.  So true on the EB White quote.  I was in Benoa in 2014 on a collection of cruises that started with Crystal Symphony in Benoa, transferred to Crystal Serenity in Singapore, and ended with a transfer to MS Amsterdam in Cape Town, taking me back to Ft. Lauderdale.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Roasted Peach Soup, Prime Rib Au Jus, and Raspberry Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam October 17, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes07.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
irishjim DW awaiting arm surgery
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
Tana back in the hospital
Seasick sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
From the rotation:
57redbird DH awaiting November 29 prostate surgery
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery November 17
rafinmd awaiting radiation
LaPalma

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Great toots from Nieuw Amsterdam
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
AnceintWanderer on babysitting duty
SusieKIslandGirl onEurodam
horizonchaser1947 settled in Mexico
Sharon’s mom with great post radiation outcome
1Angelcat clear biopsy
Long cruise booked for Quartzite Cruiser
1 day for Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS)
2 days for Norseh20 (Italy to US)
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Morning Dailyite family. Another CC gremlin day for me. I am posting using my phone, so this will be a quick one. I will check back later. 

Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon 

Another premium wine with a hefty price. The reviewers’ descriptions make for interesting reading. Several online distributors with prices starting at $149.97. 

Winemaker Notes

#98 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 Cellar Selection Wines of 2020

The 2017 Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley showcases the singular and elusive perfume of Champoux Vineyard at its very best. Aromas and flavors of violets, lavender, blackberry, cassis, and plum fruit can be found in the wine with nuances of cocoa nib, spice, and minerals. The ethereal, silky texture allows the rich fruit to coat the palate in a horizontal fashion, allowing the taster to experience the purity and seamless integration of all its elements in wonderful harmony.

JD97 Jeb Dunnuck

The flagship 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley is all Cabernet Sauvignon brought up in new barrels (mostly Taransaud and Darnajou). Beautiful crème de cassis, graphite, spice box, and lead pencil notes all flow to a full-bodied, soft, elegant wine that has beautiful tannins, no hard edges, and a seamless texture. It shows the more upfront, charming style of the vintage and is already hard to resist. Nevertheless, it should easily evolve for 20+ years.
JS97 James Suckling
Really juicy and savory at the moment with beautiful freshness and linear tightness that frames the wine. It’s full and flavorful with currants, coffee and walnuts. Mahogany, too. The tannins are polished and spread across the palate. Accessible and hard not to drink now, but will age wonderfully, too.
WE96 Wine Enthusiast
This is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, with fruit coming from Horse Heaven Hills sites Champoux, Lake Wallula, Palengat, and Wallula. It’s aromatically brooding out of the gate, with notes of cherry meats, barrel spice and incense, not yet ready to reveal its charms. Dense, focused, layered, almost creamy-feeling fruit flavors follow. It is coiled up tightly right now but has all of the stuffing to go the distance and then some. Best from 2030–2037. 
Cellar Selection
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Chocolate and a book sounds like a wonderful way to spend some time. A salute to Little League Girls. Getting canines checked for lymphoma is important.

The quote is true. Looking forward to the recipe.

The window is in, so today DH will continue prepping the front of the house for the stone which is supposed to be started on Tuesday. He'll also do some more tiling and I will continue to paint trim. Waiting for paint and thinset to dry makes these projects go on forever it seems. But we are getting there.

Have a blessed Sunday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 26

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the various lists.

I have my covid19 booster booked for November 13th plus an appointment at the opticians for an eye test.

Interesting days today.

Today's quote is partly true because when you know the facts it is easy to have misjudged someone.

I will pass on the food and drink today.

I have seen Bali on holiday programs and it would be nice to visit.

Prayers 🙏 to everyone on the care list.

Hopefully everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211107_132558.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning.  Turned the clocks back last night so we wouldn't forget.  Love chocolate and books.  Congrats to the girls little league.  Can't celebrate Canine Lymphoma, such a sad disease.  Interesting quote and meal.

Was reading the paper this morning and saw the testing site we planned to use for our Jan. 2 cruise is closed on the 31st. of December.  Now scrambling to find another site.  I know it's needed but so stressful for the beginning of a relaxing cruise.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Tequila Sour:

2 Ounce(s) Blanco tequila
3/4 Ounce(s) Fresh lemon juice
3/4 Ounce(s) Simple Syrup
Lemon half-wheel, maraschino cherry

Shake with ice and strain into chilled sour glass. Garnish with lemon and cherry. Serve in a Cordial or Pony Glass.

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 7.39.54 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, everyone.  

Today will be pay through the nose for a furnace repairman to come out and fix the darn thing.  It is 59 degrees in here.   No, make that 58 now.  I hope I'm not starting something here.

I'm going to pass on today's meal.  I'm not a fan of polenta.   This is being billed as more of an appetizer or side dish to a regular meal.  

https://www.parsnipsandpastries.com/polenta-rounds-with-mushrooms-caramelized-onions/

1679061687_polentawithmushrooms.png.1965a761c4f9172b6da7ae4a959a2143.png

https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/pan-fried-polenta-with-mushrooms   No onions in this one.

165589577_Polentawithmushrooms2.jpg.381a3b0c58ecbd7dd4e0be893fa67fba.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Today's sunrise is from a string of 2013 cruises that started with the Crystal Symphony New York to Miami and continued with MS Prinsendam to the Amazon and back.  On November 7 the Symphony was in Savannah:

dawn1107.jpg

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

Today will be pay through the nose for a furnace repairman to come out and fix the darn thing.  It is 59 degrees in here.   No, make that 58 now.  I hope I'm not starting something here.

Good morning from South Florida. Its also 58 degrees here this morning, I should have looked at the weather before taking my coffee out to the balcony!!!  At least that is the outside temperature and it should warm up quickly.

Coffee and newspaper inside this morning!

Edited by Sea Viewer
  • Like 21

Blessed Sunday morning. Thank you Rich for our Daily. Thank you Roy for adding Walker to the prayer list. 

Chocolate and almonds sounds great, and curled up reading a thriller..perfect. 

image.png.3d328f0536a304e119c543ca346f61e0.png

Had a fun evening celebrating Daylight savings with neighbors. It was a beautiful 67 degrees. 

image.png.7ddf71473d6531f6590e3bff9c0c2f3b.png

Dinner will be sushi out tonight. I don't care for grits or polenta. 

Sending prayers out to all on Roy's list. Cheers and blessings. 

• Like 21

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Happy Weekend everyone!

Signed up to do "Blend" yesterday for our upcoming cruise on the Koningsdam. Looking forward to having fun on our 20th Anniversary cruise!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 22

Just a shorty as getting ready for church. Quote of day fits the media coverage we are bombarded with every day.

@kazuThe lion and the Ark pic is hilarious!

Never been to Indonesia but was going to before the Pandemic shut down the industry which caused the Maasdam to be sold!☹️

Have a great Sunday!

• Like 23

Good morning everyone. I set the clocks in the house last night but the car is either automatic or I will do it when I’m in it. I love chocolate, almonds and books. I’ve been in a few different book clubs for over 20 years and have read some great books I wouldn’t have read on my own. Last week my book club met at the clubhouse for the first time in over a year and a half and we were all masked. Over the summer we met outside either in my dead end street or on the huge common property that I call my back yard.

Did I mention that the OT spotted or rather passed a huge deer on the walkway to our home? We are adjacent to woods and they are all over. Very dangerous.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 25

I was pretty wasted after my flight to Bali so I don't have much in the way of photos. I'm not sure how this will come out but this is the beach there:

baliterminal.jpg

The exit from Benoa is quite a winding path.  Here's a view of the Symphony's wake:

curvyexit.jpg

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good Sunday morning, friends!  It was 37F when we awoke this morning but thankfully not 58 inside the house like poor Debbie.  I live in fear that will be the next home maintenance issue we have to take care of.  I hope the repairman gets there soon and you can start warming up.🥶  We set the main clocks back last night and are doing the incidental clocks this morning.  I think the cars will reset themselves once we go out there and start them up.  We will probably get some groceries later so that will take care of one of the car clock resettings.

Today's bittersweet chocolate with almonds day celebration sounds like a winner.  Book lovers day, too.  I finished one last night and am beginning a new one today.  Cheers to the little league girls' teams.  Canine lymphoma is a serious issue and should be made aware of.  The menu suggestion of the day does not sound like I would care for it.  It's the polenta, sorry.  Thanks to @richwmnfor the Daily report today.  Also thanks to @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebrations lists, as well as the sunrise photo.  It's heartbreaking to see those needing our prayers increase but is a sad fact of life.  Cheers to those on the Celebration list, and I hope all the cruise goers and planners enjoy their well deserved vacations.

@JAM37it sounds like a complete renovation going on at your house.  It will be like a new home when you've finished.  You'll need a cruise to reward yourselves when it's completed!

Today's port of Benoa, Bali Indonesia was on a B2B2B cruise in November and December 2013.  We started the cruise in Singapore in early November and ended up in Auckland on Dec. 23.  We stayed overnight in Auckland and began our flights home early on Christmas Eve.  Auckland to Sydney, Sydney to Los Angeles, Los Angeles to Atlanta.  We arrived home late on Christmas Eve (yes, still!) and slept late on Christmas Day.  A couple days later we drove to our DD's house in Ohio to celebrate the holidays late.  When we started the cruises in Singapore we had been staying at our DS's apartment in Singapore with his family for 8 days.  He was on his university sabbatical for a year, and that was the reason we booked all the cruises - so we could see them and do some interesting cruising.  It was great fun!  I'll be back with a few photos, though DH is pushing for us to get ready to go soon.  He has a couple of stops planned for us.  I'll do my best to hurry!

• Like 24

Good Morning from a very cool and windy day at the beach

We were suppose to help our friends clean their boat today but it is too windy! We would be blown overboard. So another day.

Might be a book and chocolate day for me.

Have not been to todays port, looking forward to pictures.

Take care everyone.

Be safe and enjoy today

• Like 19

Good morning, all.

I changed the clocks this morning, then did that 2nd trip to the grocery store.  Managed to get a few items that were not available Friday morning.

Not a fan of polenta, but love mushrooms.  Both beverages sound nice.

Would definitely like to see Bali.

Book lover, here!  I've been accumulating unread books so I'll have plenty to take with me when i resume sailing.  That's my favorite "activity" on sea days.  Finding a (hopefully quiet) place to just sit and read for a few hours.  

@summer slope It's BinaxNOW.  You have to order it; the version you can buy in the drug stores doesn't include the eMed function.  I believe someone even posted a link to a video on one of the threads, if you haven't read them.  I bought a 3-pack from Optum and they're sitting on the table.  I'm having my test done at a pharmacy (1 week from tomorrow) but wanted those tests here just in case the pharmacy cancels, as I've read has happened to some folks because they ran out and couldn't restock in time.  I'll test myself when I get home if we aren't tested on the ship.  Got that grandbaby to go see at Thanksgiving!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3