How safe do you feel?

ISABELLA

Omicron is turning out to be nothing near the Delta variant in volatility.  With the protocols in place a cruise ship is safer than being in your grocery stores.  I refuse to give in and loose any more of my prime retirement travel time, 2 years is enough. We have 7 cruises booked and planned plus 3 land vacations over the next 3 years and we will do them all without fear. We cruised on the Equinox in August 100% without fear of Covid at any port or on the ship.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 11

I would have no qualms cruising the Caribbean, or anywhere else for that matter!

Each person has their own perception of risk, and whilst I'm consider myself to be risk adverse generally, I will travel abroad, be it to ski or cruise, and not let the "what ifs" spoil my life. 

• Like 4

My only concern is that Celebrity will start mandating masks on board. I have chosen them and NCL exclusively because of the mask-free policies, and the only thing keeping me from planning additional cruises next year is the fear that they might feel pressure to change course. 

• Like 1

I felt totally safe on board the Reflection and in all Caribbean ports we visited.   I work in healthcare and can report COVID, the seasonal flu, pneumonia, norovirus,  and other infectious diseases do not choose locations or persons.   They are, and will continue to be, all around us.   Viruses will continually mutate.  Each of us carries the responsibility to maintain good hand hygiene, keep our hands away from our faces and stay home when sick. 

I can't wait for my next cruise!  

• Like 8

I feel totally safe, have cruised twice since the restart and have 2 cruises booked on Celebrity for 2022.  I agree on the mask mandate mentioned above, I won't be going if they mandate them onboard.  

• Like 1

We feel perfectly safe, both fully vaccinated and have the booster.  
Also as retired people and only have so many years that we will be able to travel, we want to keep going and see what we can see.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ISABELLA said:

Caribbean islands that are  on CDC high alert list

CDC level 4 equates to 500 new cases per 100,000 population over the last 28 days. My county in NJ is nearly double that. I don't feel any less safe in the Caribbean than I do at my local grocery store. And despite recent media reports, the incidence rate on board cruise ships is negligible despite far more testing than the general public.

Armed with factual data, we can decide for ourselves whether to feel safe or not.

• Like 6

Do you feel safe to visit Caribbean islands that are  on CDC high alert list?

Just would like to know a general opinion. 

Thanks

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

CDC level 4 equates to 500 new cases per 100,000 population over the last 28 days. My county in NJ is nearly double that. I don't feel any less safe in the Caribbean than I do at my local grocery store. And despite recent media reports, the incidence rate on board cruise ships is negligible despite far more testing than the general public.

Armed with factual data, we can decide for ourselves whether to feel safe or not.

This.

I don't think I would pay any attention to the CDC level for anyplace I want to go, foreign or domestic.  

First off, we're all responsible for our own behaviour and determining our own perceived level of risk. 

Second, cruising to anywhere seldom puts one in a true 'local' environment.   Excursions are with other vaccinated cruisers, often outdoors (where transmission is almost unheard of), and have little interaction with locals.   Perhaps if you're planning to disembark and head to a local enclosed bar for hours on end, there might be some heightened concern, but then again, that's a personal decision based on one's own risk assessment. 

• Like 3

Do you feel safe to visit Caribbean islands that are  on CDC high alert list?

Just would like to know a general opinion. 

Thanks

I personally feel very safe after three vaccine doses - safe from getting moderate to severe COVID or worse.  I feel less safe about avoiding a positive test or getting a mild breakthrough case which might end my cruise.   But I feel this would be a rare occurrence and more of an inconvenience than a true health concern.    But why ask the question about our feelings?  How safe do you feel?  That is the only thing that should matter to you.

• Like 3

I will continue to cruise unless or until a more deadly variant emerges. Celebrity does an excellent job of handling things.  All the places in the Caribbean I've been to this year required masks inside and outside.  Annoying when it's hot and humid, but safer. 

We had a Covid case announced on Reflection yesterday.  The absolute horror on some people's face during the announcement was unreal. There will be cases onboard.   If you can't accept that fact don't cruise.  As long as there is not a major outbreak and as long as Celebrity continues to handle it so well I am good. I am vaccinated and boostered and as such will not waste my vacation worrying.  I am a worrier by nature but we have to rely on common sense and science. 

• Like 5

I got off the Summit on Monday, after being aboard for two weeks B2B2B, with sore throat, cough, fatigue, body aches, headache, congestion, and runny nose, all symptoms of covid.  And they're symptoms of the common cold, also a corona virus, which is what I have.  So virus transmission is still alive and well aboard a ship even with all their protocols plus my own. I carried alcohol-based sanitizer everywhere, washed my hands raw, wore a mask on elevators, didn't get on an elevator with more than three other people, and didn't sit closer than three feet from anyone.  I took along four Binax self tests with me so I could check myself for covid (because I'm aware of the ship's procedures).  Nope; it's a cold.  Seeing as how a cold and covid are transmitted the same way, please don't feel you're completely safe and invinceable aboard a ship.  I've been aboard ships for 50 days since Aug 1st.  Catching a lousy cold on my last cruise was definitely a surprise.  Needless to say, I'm relieved it isn't covid.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

We had a Covid case announced on Reflection yesterday.  The absolute horror on some people's face during the announcement was unreal.

I really wish X would reconsider this policy of unnecessarily announcing covid positives as they occur. Notification should end at close contacts.

Of course, if a certain threshold has been met--like 2-3% of passengers testing positive, then you announce along with additional protocols like masks, distancing, etc. But short of that point, it's unnecessarily alarming to many passengers like those @phoenix_dream observed yesterday.

• Like 2

Just now, goofysmom99 said:

I got off the Summit on Monday, after being aboard for two weeks B2B2B, with sore throat, cough, fatigue, body aches, headache, congestion, and runny nose, all symptoms of covid.  And they're symptoms of the common cold, also a corona virus, which is what I have.  So virus transmission is still alive and well aboard a ship even with all their protocols plus my own. I carried alcohol-based sanitizer everywhere, washed my hands raw, wore a mask on elevators, didn't get on an elevator with more than three other people, and didn't sit closer than three feet from anyone.  I took along four Binax self tests with me so I could check myself for covid (because I'm aware of the ship's procedures).  Nope; it's a cold.  Seeing as how a cold and covid are transmitted the same way, please don't feel you're completely safe and invinceable aboard a ship.  I've been aboard ships for 50 days since Aug 1st.  Catching a lousy cold on my last cruise was definitely a surprise.  Needless to say, I'm relieved it isn't covid.

Did you follow-up with a PCR test?  There's a real chance that it was covid, but you're not shedding the virus at a rate detectable by the rapid test.   They give a LOT of false negatives.

Your point is very valid though.  We don't live in a world where covid is the only bug going around.  There is plenty other stuff that's being transmitted.  Covid didn't edge out everything else, except in the news and in government 🙂

• Thanks 1

Yes, we feel relatively safe on a cruise, and we've been on a B3B, a B2B and are getting ready to go on another B2B next week, all on Celebrity ships. We have been triple vaccinated and really try to avoid people as much as we can while both on and off the ship. We actually kind of turn it into a game by plotting ways to avoid getting too close to folks, whether it's when we dine, walk through the ship, go to a show or go on an excursion. 

But if I was a solo cruiser that might be a little harder for me to accomplish as (1) I'm a guy and (2) I'm pretty social and would probably get totally board if I couldn't periodically chat with folks on a cruise.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

Sailed the Caribbean 2X this past summer/fall.  Both times on the EDGE.  Once in the Western Caribbean and once in the Eastern Caribbean.

Celebrity really does do a good job with their protocols, requiring negative results before boarding and also requiring anyone who is eligible to be vaccinated to actually have proof of vaccination.  Plus, although I don't thing it's a public policy, they seem to be limiting anyone who can't be vaccinated (regardless of reason) who can board to be children who aren't eligible to be vaccinated, yet.

So, to answer the question....do I feel safe?  Absolutely.  I feel safer on a Celebrity ship than I do at my local Krogers.

• Like 4

This thread reminds me of a funny thing that happened as we flew to FLL for our August 27 Equinox cruise. As we were deplaning the woman across the aisle from me asked if we were residents of Florida. I told her no, we are here for a cruise, and she remarked "No way I get on one of those Petree dish full of germs cruise ships."  I remarked to her, so you feel safer having just gotten off a 2-hour flight in a jam-packed flying tube with no one having been tested first?  She just got off in huff and I couldn't help laughing.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

I appreciate the comments on here. Most are accurate. I agree the only instant deal killer is a mask mandate on board. So far none snd hopefully will not change. I agree I have heard very, very few problems on Celebrity.

Depends on the itinerary - masks were required on Silhouette for all it's summer sailings in the UK and Europe. Not a big deal and certainly not a reason not to cruise.

I realize we are all tired of all of this, but I’m afraid it’s COVID that decides how long this goes on….and those that refuse to vaccinate and not only spread COVID, but assist it evolving into new and fun versions. It’s now the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated. Those vaccinated that contract COVID are almost all getting very mild symptoms….which Doesn’t mean I think it’s not an issue for the vaccinated.  

We cruised Eastern Caribbean over Thanksgiving and felt very safe. Only did a ship tour and didn’t go wandering around. St Kitts requires everyone to either be on a ship’s tour or one of their approved private tours you pick up at the pier…..no wandering or self-touring. We did the History and Rum tour, of course I signed up for that one because of the History portion…..yeah, that’s right. All the staff involved were masked while inside. Very safe. And great local Rum!….I’d told. 

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

We are mid 70s and in good health.  We are vaxxed and boosted.  We wear a mask in places where we cannot stay away from others.  We had a trip to Jamaica scheduled for this week but canceled it.  We were not afraid of getting ill, as we were just going to spend our time on the beach or at the pool.  But there was always a slight chance that we might test positive before we came back, and we did not want to risk being quarantined in Jamaica for 14 days, which is their policy.  We have a 10 night cruise on the Reflection scheduled for January and we have had no thoughts of canceling.  My understanding is the 4 ways to protect yourself, in order, are get vaccinated, be outside or have good ventilation as much as possible, socially distance, and wear a mask.  And that is what we will do.  And we are hoping for a cruise that is not near to capacity.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I personally feel very safe after three vaccine doses - safe from getting moderate to severe COVID or worse.  I feel less safe about avoiding a positive test or getting a mild breakthrough case which might end my cruise.   But I feel this would be a rare occurrence and more of an inconvenience than a true health concern.    But why ask the question about our feelings?  How safe do you feel?  That is the only thing that should matter to you.

I agree 100% and although neither of us have any of the symptoms, I will not feel better until we receive tomorrow’s test results for the second leg of our B2B. 

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

I really wish X would reconsider this policy of unnecessarily announcing covid positives as they occur. Notification should end at close contacts.

Of course, if a certain threshold has been met--like 2-3% of passengers testing positive, then you announce along with additional protocols like masks, distancing, etc. But short of that point, it's unnecessarily alarming to many passengers like those @phoenix_dream observed yesterday.

I can understand your feeling but I think it is a really good policy.   When I read about the NCL outbreak, many passengers knew nothing about the outbreak until they were off the ship.

I've been on 4 cruises since resumption of sailing and all but one had outbreaks.  I noticed that once an outbreak was announced passengers increased their diligence to social distance and mask up when in close contact like an elevator.

Personally the announcement maid me feel safer knowing that Celebrity was taking their health at sea program seriously.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can understand your feeling but I think it is a really good policy.   When I read about the NCL outbreak, many passengers knew nothing about the outbreak until they were off the ship.

I've been on 4 cruises since resumption of sailing and all but one had outbreaks.  I noticed that once an outbreak was announced passengers increased their diligence to social distance and mask up when in close contact like an elevator.

Personally the announcement maid me feel safer knowing that Celebrity was taking their health at sea program seriously.

To nitpick a little, they had positive cases and not outbreaks, correct?