The Daily for Monday December 13, 2021

richwmn

Today is Ice Cream Day, International Children's Day, and Violin Day

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner. - Tallulah Bankhead"

Meal suggestion for today - Creamy Shrimp Linguini

Drink of the Day - Astronaut Sunrise

Wine of the day - Château Coutet Barsac 2014

Destination of the Day - Halong Bay Vietnam

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Eurodam Destination Port Everglades, F eta 12/15

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Cabo San Lucas MX eta 12/14

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town
Nieuw Amsterdam Turks and Caicos 08:00 - 16:00

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas
Nieuw Statendam 08:00 - 15:00
Rotterdam 08:00 - 15:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 12/19
Zuiderdam Destination San Diego eta 12/14

Augusta IT
Volendam

Corfu GR
Zaandam

Princess Cays
Noordam

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam Shipyard

1213NAmerica.thumb.png.87c3c61a3480c951857ca8c8e8b66fbf.png

1213Europe.thumb.png.324599a8e17094208929414a4aab262c.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's Monday, a new week, hope it's a good one.🤞

Interesting days.  Every day should be children's day (and ice cream day!).  I enjoy listening to the violin.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Hope the drink of the day and wine are good too.

Prayers for everyone.  An extra one for Jose and Jacqui.🙏

Have a wonderful day.   Stay safe.

• Like 23

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Three things that bring joy on one day, ice-cream, children and violins!  Witty qoute today.  Meal suggestion sounds delicious but probably a bit rich for me today.  I haven’t been to today’s port and looking forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our list and also those affected by the horrible tornadoes over the weekend.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 23

Good morning Rich. Thank you for our Daily.

Hi Daily-ites. We are finally onboard the beautiful Rotterdam!

A lovely sail away last night. A bit late due to many ships leaving. It was crowded.

Dinner last night in Tamarind. Lamb was delicious. Walked thru deck 2 later, then a drink to finish watching the FB game on the big screen. Way to go Brady!

I didn't know if I'd be in CC jail, so going back to look at yesterday's posts.

• Like 32

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  3 great days, I try for ice cream every day, and especially enjoy the Baltimore Symphony's violins.  Thought provoking Bankhead quote.  I'll pass on the shrimp.  Been to Halong Bay once on the Zaandam which is probably my favorite remaining BHB.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui and healing for Jose
Himself with Covid

Midwest tornado area
Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
Eruptions in Las Palmas and Indonesia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
From the rotation:
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery 24 Decenber with pre-test 21 Decenber
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
summer slope BCC surgery in February
positive biopsy for Mtn2Sea

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Welcome home Cruisin Terri, StLouisCruisers  Quartzite Cruiser and Heartgrome
Noordam coming to Everglades Wednesday
Quartize Cruiser and Heartgrove (Koningsdam to 12/12),_Lindaler (2 Jan) and Seasick Sailor(Rotterdam to 1/16) , MissG (Nieuw Statendam to 1/9),  NCTribeFan and JAM37 (NA to 12/23), Sea Viewer (Allure OTS until 12/19) and Crazy for Cats (NCL Dawn to 12/19)
Kazu helping her stepson on his mother’s death arrangements
highland cruiser in Vallarta
Cruising along with family in California until Thursday
booster for Pauline
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 10

Good morning, everyone.

Continued prayers and warm thoughts for @kazu Jacqui and Jose.  Not much planned for today except the pool.  

Today's meal goes back to the comfort food designation.  I'd have to use a pasta substitute, but the shrimp part sounds lovely.   For those who have not used up their free articles at Delish, this one will start the parade:  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a43809/creamy-shrimp-linguine-tomatoes-kale-lemon-zest-recipe/

993212082_Creamyshrimplinguini2.thumb.jpg.2fc848d4d46b6c60ccc7b44c63dda0c9.jpg

If you can't get past the pay wall for Delish, try this recipe:   https://www.livinglocurto.com/shrimp-pasta/

600832880_Creamyshrimplinguine4.thumb.jpg.4139569887a146ff7954cfa305071908.jpg

You can also use fettuccini noodles for the dish.   there are a lot of substitutions you can make.   https://diethood.com/creamy-shrimp-fettuccine/

532861188_Creamyshrimpfettuccini.thumb.jpg.8d92cd5c8d4d87c808ebf91b646be5ee.jpg

And if you want super creamy, go for the Alfredo sauce:  https://natashaskitchen.com/creamy-shrimp-pasta-recipe/

Creamy-Shrimp-Alfredo-Pasta-3.thumb.jpg.25e343c6e31cd98a49868e448586604a.jpg

Enjoy!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 7

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily and all of the contributors. I will celebrate all of the days and like the quote.Ms Bankhead was an interesting woman.

We have not been to the port and will pass on the recipes today.

Tana and I have one more trip to  the city today.  She called me earlier to say she is not doing well but did not want to cancel.Maybe they will let me go in with her today…..

@kazu,thinking of you and Jose.

This kitty lives next door but always makes me laugh.

IMG_4864.JPG

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A lovely combination of days. Ice cream & children (of all ages) seem to go hand in hand. Love the sound of violins!

Thank you for our lists Roy! Morning all! Jacqui, keeping you and Jose in my prayers. Roy & Terry & Tana thinking of you.  @Seasick Sailor, Joy have a wonderful cruise! Hope you and Allen have lots of relaxing fun. I will toast you & the G.O.A.T. tonight!

The meal sounds great, but with zoodles.
DBE9F8FD-DE15-4FE6-BB68-41E37ED87159.jpeg.663fa6292861afc7fb793b1d87578624.jpeg

Another lovely day here. Early gym class. Then Bindi walks. Eggplant cutlets tonight. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Château Coutet Barsac 2014

This wine might be at the top of my budget, but I would love a taste. And just in case you don’t know what “boytrytis” is, I know I didn’t- it is a fungus.  Not that many online distributors for the 2014 vintage. Later vintages might be easier to find and less expensive. The 2014’s price started at $49.94.

Winemaker Notes
#3 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

Still aging in oak, the wine is a pale color. The nose is full of lovely aromatic notes of grapefruit, lychee, mango, and pineapple. In addition, flavors of lime, toasted almond, and acacia flower can be detected. The palate is fresh and mineral but an incredible density to the wine imparts a long finish. The vintage is already unusual for its power and freshness.
Blend: 75% Semillon, 23% Sauvignon Blanc, and 2% Muscadelle 

WE97 Wine Enthusiast

Powered by intense botrytis, this wine is opulent and ripe, with spice, yellow fruit and honey flavors. It has just the right balance of acidity to maintain its shape and proportions. It's likely to age well over many years. Drink from 2024. Cellar Selection
WW97 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
In my career of tasting, evaluating, and drinking wine, I have always found great pleasures in savoring top-level Sauternes. Over the years, Coutet has often found my sweet spot. The 2014 vintage is simply splendid. Showing excellent richness of fruit and enticing botrytis, this vintage appears to be one of the wines best efforts. 
WS96 Wine Spectator
This shows the vivid, racy side of Barsac, with streaming flavors of pineapple, yellow apple, green plum and white ginger, displaying lovely energy from start to finish. Ends with enough honeysuckle and orange blossom notes to balance the richness. Best from 2020 through 2035.
RP95 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
This Coutet '14 has a complex bouquet with razor-sharp, minerally, citrus fruit mixed with wild honey and a touch of Riesling-like petrol. The palate is totally convincing. There is a great thrust of rich botrytized fruit sliced through with Coutet’s trademark acidity, despite the spoonfuls of sugar, that lends this such vibrancy and tension. It possesses and almost clinical precision with long persistence on the finish. This is a divine Coutet that may warrant a higher score subject to how it evolves in barrel. Range:93-95+
D94 Decanter
Ripe tropical fruit, vanilla and herbs intermingle with smoky botrytis. Dense, rich flavors of custard and toffee apples, saffron and a hint of noble rot bitterness on the long finish.
JS93 James Suckling
This shows a lively density, intensity of fruit and spiciness. Pineapples as well. Full body, medium sweetness and a long finish.Range: 92-93
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon.

Pauline has a headache and generally feeling unwell after her Moderna booster jab yesterday.

Today is 5 years since I joined Cruise Critic.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich 

Thank you Roy for the various lists and my inclusion on the rotation.

We both like ice cream.

It is nice to hear great violin players like Yehudi Menuhin.

If I had my life again there are lots of things I would differently.

We both like prawn(shrimp) Linquine.

We have never been to today's port so I'm looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers for Jacqui, Jose, Roy and everyone else on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

IMG-20211110-WA0015.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning All from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Love ice cream, it is my downfall. Salute to children of all ages .  Have not been to todays port.

My company has kept me busy and we are all enjoying the visit. I hosted my previously scheduled " Yankee Swap" last nite and it was great fun.  So I am dragging a little today.

My sister was readmitted to the hospital yesterday. She has a blood clot in her leg and her counts are down again. She is in good spirits and she is getting good care. Because of her low counts she is in isolation . Her DH dropped off her knitting so she will be making caps for everyone!

Extra prayers for Jacqui and Jose.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

Charlene

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, thanks for the Daily! Who can complain about Ice Cream Day?  Yum!  Didn't we have Children's Day a short time ago?  DH's son took violin lessons; some of the notes he was hitting/creating got the neighbourhood dogs howling.  LOL

Today starts out with prayers for Jacqui @kazu and DH Jose.  Let's hope today is the day the doctors figure out what's wrong and can start a plan for Jose's return to good health.  Also, prayers for @Himself and his Covid diagnosis, hopefully your symptoms will be mild.

We've been to today's port on the lovely Maasdam in 2019 and hope we can go back there one day.  Unfortunately all my photos are on another device, so will check later to see if I can post some here.

It's a quiet day here today, with just a couple of things on the agenda.  DH has a gig this afternoon - a Christmas program at a seniors home, then we have a dinner meeting with another couple to discuss the historical video DH is producing.  That leaves me with some free time, so I think I'll bake a couple of batches of cookies to take with us at Christmas.  Speaking of Christmas @Horizon chaser 1957I feel bad that you'll be alone for the holidays this year; if we lived closer, you'd definitely be invited to join us!

I'm sure both DH and I would enjoy today's menu suggestion, but we'll be having dinner out this evening, so it's whatever looks good on the menu for us tonight.  And wine.

I saw this and it reminded me of our previous kitty, Muggins, who was a "fluffy girl".

15 Holiday Memes Cat Lovers Can Relate To

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses high to cheer on everyone on the happy list.  Stay well, wear your masks, be well, wash your hands, and get your boosters.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone. Nice collection of days. As far as the quote goes, I would hope I wouldn’t make the same mistakes again.

Prayers for himself and for Jose and Jacqui.

Lots to do today including restoring my emails to my iPad and phone. Already got them back on my desktop.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 23

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  3 great days, I try for ice cream every day, and especially enjoy the Baltimore Symphony's violins.  Thought provoking Bankhead quote.  I'll pass on the shrimp.  Been to Halong Bay once on the Zaandam which is probably my favorite remaining BHB.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui and healing for Jose
Himself with Covid

Midwest tornado area
Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
Eruptions in Las Palmas and Indonesia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
From the rotation:
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery 24 Decenber with pre-test 21 Decenber
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
summer slope BCC surgery in February
positive biopsy for Mtn2Sea

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Welcome home Cruisin Terri, StLouisCruisers  Quartzite Cruiser and Heartgrome
Noordam coming to Everglades Wednesday
Quartize Cruiser and Heartgrove (Koningsdam to 12/12),_Lindaler (2 Jan) and Seasick Sailor(Rotterdam to 1/16) , MissG (Nieuw Statendam to 1/9),  NCTribeFan and JAM37 (NA to 12/23), Sea Viewer (Allure OTS until 12/19) and Crazy for Cats (NCL Dawn to 12/19)
Kazu helping her stepson on his mother’s death arrangements
highland cruiser in Vallarta
Cruising along with family in California until Thursday
booster for Pauline
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Can I suggest something to add to the celebration list? The Amsterdam will be in Grand Turk today, meaning she is the first ship to dock in Grand Turk since the port closed last year due to COVID!

Edited by jslev9
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Daily-ites.  

I procrastinated until yesterday afternoon to read the book that will be discussed at book club this morning.  Thank heavens it was a short classic-The Call of the Wild.  Before I go, I need to go to the post office and mail bills (argh) and Christmas Cards, then get gas, come home and walk the neighbors dog, pick up the dessert for the group, and then head into Atlanta.  This year, because we have less members (one passed away last year) we are meeting every other month.  We are all "retired" now, but seem to have less hours in the day to read, and meet up.  How does that happen?  

I hope you all have a wonderful day,  stay safe and masked, and  be good to yourself.  sending hugs.

• Like 27

Good morning.  Everyday is ice cream day here.  Like the international children's day, and I tried playing the violin when I was in 6th grade.  Didn't go well.  I LOL'd at the Bankhead quote, and it is so true.  Will skip the meal, do not care for anything creamy.  Have not been to today's port.

Received a notice that our boarding time was moved from group A to group C and is now 20 minutes earlier.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Extra prayers for @kazuand Jose.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Astronaut Sunrise:

Astronaut Sunrise is a variation of the classic Tequila Sunrise cocktail. It is prepared with a combination of tequila, grenadine syrup, and Tang – a fruit-flavored, powdered beverage. In order to prepare it, tequila and Tang should first be poured into a tall cocktail glass, followed by a dash of grenadine syrup, which will create a nice sunrise effect if properly added to the combination.

The name of this cocktail refers to the fact that NASA used Tang on John Glenn’s Mercury flight in 1962.

INGREDIENTS
1 1⁄2 ounces vodka
1 1⁄2 ounces light rum
1 1⁄2 ounces dark rum
4 -5  ounces Sprite
1 dash pineapple juice

DIRECTIONS
Pour the vodka, light rum and dark rum into a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes.
Shake well, and strain into a highball glass filled with ice cubes.
Add Sprite and a splash of pineapple juice.
Add a twist of lime (or lemon), and serve.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 8.16.44 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7