The Daily for Wednesday 12/22/2021

richwmn

Today is National Date Nut Bread Day, Cookie Exchange Day, and Abilities Day

The shoe that fits one person pinches another, there is no recipe for living that suits all cases. - Carl Jung

Meal Suggestion for today - Over-the-Border Shrimp Enchiladas
Drink of the Day - Hangman's Blood
Wine of the Day - Decero Malbec - Argentina - Red
Destination of the Day - Tsuruga, Japan

Ships With Passengers

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Eurodam 07:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Half Moon Cay

Nieuw Amsterdam  07:00 - 15:00

Mazatkan MX

Koningsdam 08:00 - 21:00

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Nieuw Statendam 13:00 - 23:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea English Channel

Oosterdam Destination Cadiz SP eta 12/27

Corfu GR

Volendam

Zaandam

La Paz MX

Westerdam Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Noordam

San Diego CA US

Zuiderdam San Diego

1222Caribbean.thumb.png.1afcd947a00787d75470033a41cfaa66.png

1222Europe.thumb.png.1832f16fa663b3f73cbf78b5bead419a.png

1222NAmericaW.thumb.png.5e8b1b78e194746ad8d3f57872d17187.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily.  Cookies, bread, and abilities days, all great day as well as the first full day of winter (Yea fro Summer in New Zealand).  I love the Jung quote.  Tsuruga is another Japanese port I haven't seen, and I'll pass on the Shrimp.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, healing for Jose and wisdom for his doctors
Himself with Covid
Welfare of furloughed crews
cunnorl sister difficult chemo toleration
The Rotterdam passenger disembarked
Ann’s cousin with brain bleed
Strength for Atexsix and healing for his father
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
Recoveru for StLouisCruisers Niece DH after throat cancer surgeru
1ANGELCAT with finger in splint
Mamaofami’s grandsons exposed to Covid
Grapau27 pre-MOSE Covid test
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
My travel agent recovering from esophageal blockage
Tana’s continuing struggles
summer slope BCC surgery in February

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
1 day for Zuiderdam
1 day for Ichiban Nekko (Nieuw Amsterdam to 1/8)
Bon Voyage Rich and Sharon, garlicgtown and Av8tix (1/9)  (Rotterdam to 2 Jan)
Lindaler (2 Jan) and Seasick Sailor(Rotterdam to 1/16) ,  NCTribeFan and JAM37 (NA to 12/23) at sea

Lapalma eruption winding down
msmayor in Virginia
Ger_77 in Calgary
HorizonChaser1957 in Chilliwack
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

That care list is getting FAR too long
Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Hump Day Daily Report.

Date nut bread sounds good.  No cookie exchange for me.  Every day should be Abilities Day.

Love the quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for today's meal suggestion.

I think I'll pass on the drink, it doesn't sound appealing to me. 

I'm sure the wine will be good.

Prayers for everyone. 

We've got a snow squall warning, high winds and snow.  I'm staying in.  Wish I was in Ft Lauderdale.

Have a great cruise Rich!

• Like 27

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  How exciting, you’ll be on a bhb in a few hours!  Date nut bread and cookies, who could ask for anything more.  Technology has given folks with disabilities the ability to do many things.  Today’s quote is a winner.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious but the drink sounds chilling.  Haven’t been to today’s port but I’ll bet there are some nice photos coming our way.  Prayers for everyone on today’s list and cheers to all of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 24

54 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Good morning from Fort Lauderdale. Everything is ready for transfer to the ship at noon. My embarkation time is 12:40 so I should be on time. It will be good to be aboard a BHB again!

Sounds amazing.

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and New year's cruise.

Graham.

• Like 21

Thank you for today’s Daily, even appreciated more since you are on location, Rich!  

Thank you for our lists, Roy. Off to a special TA chi class. I will check in later. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers for all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

E2C7B650-0174-4AA1-B359-FCFFDC0C5D13.jpeg.15a0c5939d90cfe6a514f364a3fcee95.jpeg

Decero Malbec

The 2017 vintage seems to have the most info available, so what you are reading focuses on that vintage. Excellent ratings and reasonably priced. Online distributors’ prices starting at 

$13.90.

Winemaker Notes

2017 Decero Malbec continues in the style that characterizes our Remolinos Vineyard, displaying intense violet aromas over a core of red fruits with notes of cherries and raspberries. A medium-bodied, very well balanced wine with fresh acidity, it shows supple and elegant tannins that benefit from 14 months maturation in French oak barrels.
W&S93
Wine & Spirits
Swiss billionaire Thomas Schmidheiny launched this estate in 2000, settling on a barren plateau in Agrelo at 3,500 feet altitude. The winds here skate across the soil—a mix of alluvial deposits and sandy loam over gravel—whipping up small remolinos, little whirlwinds of dust. The winery claims these remolinos are critical to the quality of their wines, keeping the grapevines dry and free from disease after it rains. Credit also goes to Tomás Hughes, a Mendoza native who joined the winery as winemaker in 2014 after stints at Achaval Ferrer in the Uco Valley and with Daniel Pi at Trapiche. In 2017, Hughes turned out a floral, fresh malbec that sings with clarity. Lush with plummy flavors, it feels supple and energetic, the bright acidity impelling the wine forward. It stays lively and lifted, lasting on scents of wildflowers, herbs and fresh purple fruit.WS91
Wine Spectator
A rich red, with a plush array of dark plum and cherry tart flavors that are creamy and richly spiced. The open-textured finish shows plenty of savoriness, accented by dark chocolate hints. Drink now through 2023. 19,000 cases imported.
JS91
James Suckling
A quite complex nose with good purity of redder toned fruit, as well as earthy nuances. The palate has a long, lithe and succulent feel with fresh red-berry flavors, as well as plums to close.
WE91
Wine Enthusiast

Jammy blackberry and cassis aromas are ripe and include an exotic note of cardamom. A healthy palate is structured in layers, while the acidity on this Malbec registers on the low side, which brings richness to the fore. Flavors of blackberry, dark plum, baking spices and chocolate are steady on a focused finish. Drink through 2026.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4

Good afternoon from a cold 32°F and cloudy NE England.

Many thanks Rich for today's daily and fleet reports.

Thanks to Roy too for the care and celebration list and my inclusion on the list.

Date nut bread sounds great.

Abilities day is good in recognition of people with disabilities seen or unseen.

A very true quote which reflects the individualism of everyone.

Nice food but will give the drink and wine a miss.

Prayers for all our friends on the care list to be fit and healthy again.

Take care and stay safe everyone 😷.

Graham 

• Like 27

Good morning, friends.  Enjoying my coffee before finalizing packing up for the drive south.  Thank goodness my husband has a Subaru Forester with back seats that flatten out.  I think packing will be like solving a Tetris puzzle...there are SO many boxes we need to get down there. 

Love the quote - it reminds me of something the pediatrician we selected to care for our first-born said to me so many years ago.  I asked him - what's the best way to care for a newborn?  His response - "there are as many ways to care for a newborn as there are mothers and grandmothers in this world...everyone's 'best way' is different, and only you can know what will be right for your child.  Trust your instincts, and you will do just fine"  It's the advice I continue to share with my daughter as she anticipates the birth of her first child in about 12 weeks.

Rich, hope your embarkation goes smoothly and you have a wonderful trip - and hoping that all either on cruises or waiting to board in the coming days/weeks enjoy their return to sea.  

Caring hugs to all who need them...

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning  to all. It is so nice  that  so many are on BHB's now. A very Merry Bon Voyage  to  everyone.

I salute the days,have not been to the port and look forward  to the recipe.

Our collective  household continues to include Tana,her son and  dog. It has been a busy time for everyone. Meals are my responsibility (by choice) and  DSIL is now the family  driver since his company is closed until the new year.

I was very happy to see that Jacqui @kazu,posted yesterday.I hope things are improving  there.

Be careful out there everyone!

• Like 27

Good morning everyone.  Nice collection of days and great quote. 

Have a good cruise Rich. We're waiting for results of my grandsons covid tests. I'm actually in my car waiting for my MD routine appointment for a echo cardiogram. 

Stay safe everyone. This new strain is very contagious. 

Carol 

• Like 26

Good morning!  Rich have a fantastic cruise.  Thank you all for everything you do.  On this thread, and in your lives.  Some one told me years ago that there are no "atta boys" for doing the right thing, but it seems that everyone here is loving and centered, making being "here" a nice place to be.

Today is going to be a make up the hours day, that I didnt work yesterday.  DH and I went to help our friend put in light bulbs because they had burned out all over the house.  She is unable to climb ladders, so DH did that for her.  I sat and petted her cats to keep them out of the kitchen while the bulbs were being put in. (hard job, but someone has to do it).  We had lunch out, and then had to stop at the grocery store on the way home (again)  Got to work late, and then blew up my computer after 3 hours.  So it's make up day today!  

I got my Christmas bonus yesterday-a gift card for Starbucks.  Which I love, but several of our Starbucks have closed during the pandemic, and no one is allowed inside at the other ones.  Driving through with a paper coupon will be interesting.  Think I need an eggnog latte. 

Have a wonderful day!

c93c08117202ac036a717e347de7c5d1.jpg

• Like 21
  • Haha 11

Happy Wednesday.  Quick post, will be back later.  We had super strong winds yesterday and our front yard is a mess.

Hangman's Blood:

Ingredients
1 1/4 oz gin
1 1/4 oz rum
1 1/4 oz whiskey
1 1/4 oz brandy
1 1/4 oz port
5 oz Guinness stout
4 oz Champagne

Preparation

Apparently invented by Anthony Burgess, famed writer. Popular at the Taco Bar.Add all five shots to a pint glass. Top to desired level with stout beer, 5 oz is just about right. Fill to top of glass with champagne. Note: No room for ice. You don't need it if you chill most of the ingredients. Highly suggested.

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 8.17.23 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Almost an oops moment.  It wasn't supposed to reach freezing overnight but I just checked the car and there was frost on the windshield.  It came off pretty easily but would not have been good if I ghd left for Radiology and found it.

Roy

• Like 22