Would you cruise if masks required indoors?

oskidunker

Would you do a cruise if masks are required?  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise if masks required inside the ship?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/21/2022 at 08:00 AM

1 hour ago, kearney said:

If I cancel my upcoming cruise in Feb..it will because of mask requirements indoors. We have never had mandatory masking and I only were them at healthcare facilities and for the short time I am in a grocery store. Even at restaurants you wear them until you are seated..which makes no sense..but if it makes people feel comfortable..so be it... but paying thousands to go someplace.. I do not want to wear masks..I can go to the beach in Florida and not have to do that...... So I am watching the masking requirements.

We are sailing in the Equinox Feb 10th.  Just received the notice masks are mandatory while indoors unless eating or drinking.  The email said this policy will be under periodic reevaluation.  

Neither me or my husband are willing to spend 9 days wearing a mask.  We will wait for a bit to see if this gets reversed but the other concern is whether we’d get on the cruise and Aruba/Curaçao let us dock there.  Since lift and shift is gone and my understanding of the FCC is that you must sail within a year - well, that’s a concern because many 2023 cruises are full.  

meh.  Trying not to borrow trouble.  But to answer the poll - nope, not cruising with a mask.  (Sad face)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I may not have a choice on an upcoming March Apex cruise…it’s been lifted and shifted and had FCC’s applied..even Celebrity can’t tell me the value of it..so if I cancel due to masks, no telling what I’ll end up with. Hopefully, cooler heads prevail by then. 

Huh.  I lifted and shifted the cruise I’m on in February but did not pay for it until late October.  I am assuming I will get a cruise credit for that amount should I cancel.  But thanks for this - I’ll be sure to ask the TA.

Any way I stack it up - the FCC isn’t going to cover the rescheduled cruise.  Surely do wish they’d go back to lift and shift.

I can honestly say that I wouldn’t like wearing a mask, but I have to wear a mask at work and would prefer not to have to wear one there either. That said I prefer wearing one and being able to be at work and really do my job. Likewise, if we can go on our Mediterranean cruise and the cost of admissions is a mask, we are going to Europe. 

• Like 1

Definitely.      I've been on 4 cruises since cruising resumed and wore mask outside our cabin on all of them.    In our area of California it is also required until Feb 15 to wear mask inside any place so pretty much the norm. 

• Like 2

It’s interesting that a while ago, I thought a majority said no way wearing a mask on a cruise…….now that we’ve gone for this long with most of us wearing one when in public and so on, and on flights, we’ve figured how to relax and get by wearing them. 

I find wearing mine isn’t nearly as much a problem as I thought I’d have, and I now have one with me all the time and slap that baby on when appropriate. So yes, I’d take a cruise wearing one, especially in the current conditions where a mask will greatly lower the risk. 

One major drawback for me. I’m deaf in one ear and I never realized how much I got what was being said by seeing facial expressions and even ‘reading lips’ and masks make it a real challenge to not only hear the muffled words, but ‘see’ the word being said. You can guess how many times I start to laugh thinking someone cracked a joke and my wife punches me and tells me they are talking about an ill friend….ooops. 

Enough. After no cruises in 2020 and one 7N in 2021, I’d probably cruise if I had to wear a HazMat Suit!

den

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Have worn a mask on cruises, have worn a mask on a trip to Hawaii, have worn a mask at all inclusive resort in Cabo. All places where masks were required. it is not only cruise ships that require masks. If one wants to avoid masks travel becomes somewhat limited.

I have tended to wear masks in any public setting indoors.  Funny thing is I have not had a cold or any other similar illness since masks became recommended. Even with doing several trips, airline flights, and cruises.

Will be boarding another cruise in two weeks with masks required.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

Enough. After no cruises in 2020 and one 7N in 2021, I’d probably cruise if I had to wear a HazMat Suit!

I'm with you.  I actually feel better to know that everyone has to mask up. I believe in the science, and want to feel as protected as I can when in the presence of people.

Do I like wearing one?  Of course not!  Will I do it - willingly?  Absolutely.  The privilege of being able to cruise again Is one I do not take lightly.

And on a lighter note... when else will we be able to enjoy a ship sailing at half capacity?  We were on the Oasis in October, and with so few people on board, it truly was an Oasis.  

• Like 7

7 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

The secret is to avoid writing anything that you soon regret and would like to delete. Been there, had the same problem.

My problem is when I edit, sometimes the edit shows up twice and that's when I try to delete one of them.

Yes, yes, yes!!!

We have done two cruises with mask mandate in Europe and felt much safer than without. The cruises were fantastic and the masks did not diminish the feeling a bit - why would they?!

In fact I would currently  not cruise without a mask mandate.

• Like 4

No more cruising w/ masks for us.  We've done several cruises since the restart, both w/ and w/o.  We found the maskless experience to be like...cruising.  We don't wear masks anywhere except for yearly doc/dentist, so paying for a vacation to wear a mask?  No more.  We are fortunate that we don't need a getaway to have beautiful weather, so that certainly helps.

That all being said, if the face diaper doesn't bother you, it's a great time to cruise...greatly reduced occupancy, plenty of space to roam and more people cancelling by the day...go and enjoy the experience.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 3

Absolutely. We were on the Sky Princess for 2 weeks in December where Masks were required indoors (when not eating or drinking), and it was not a big deal at all. And, in our experience, the vast majority of people complied without issue (there were a few who couldn't seem to figure out how to cover their noses 😉 ).  In fact, as others have said, right now, I wouldn't board a ship if masking indoors was not required, given the transmissibility of Omicron. Just my 2¢. 👍

• Like 2

@oskidunker  Let's see what happens when Omicron subsides.  The mask policy is a very good one for now.  I would cruise with a mask no issue.  But I am much more worried, mask or no mask, about testing positive and being isolated and quarantined on ship.   By the time you cruise in September it might be mask-optional again.  This completely depends on the virus and future variants.

• Like 1

I still plan on us going on our Connie cruise (departs Feb 14).

We have been notified by email that masks will be mandatory at all time indoors except while eating or drinking.  Fine with us.

We live in Florida where not being vaccinated, not masking, and not socially distancing seems to be the rule for our resident fools, snowbirds and tourists.

Not only do I mask indoors when out and about, we also now mask in certain outdoor situations. 

We will feel safer on a cruise ship that in every day Floriduh life.

• Like 2

We cruised the end of August on Edge and the beginning of December on Reflection because masks once onboard were not required.  Unless everyone boarding the ship is FIT tested with an N95 or double masking surgical masks, I personally don't see the point.  Homemade cloth masks are useless!  We love to cruise 2 or 3 times a year but won't book another cruise until the mask mandate on Celebrity goes away.  We have a cruise booked the end of August and hopefully things will change by then.

I work at a hospital and deal with this all day every day!  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

By the time you cruise in September it might be mask-optional again.  This completely depends on the virus and future variants.

OP

Remember you will be leaving from UK, where at present the rules are that you must wear a mask when inside, unless sitting, eating and or drinking. 
Please have respect for the rules of your host country:

“when in Rome, do as the Romans do.”😱

28 minutes ago, spammie said:

We cruised the end of August on Edge and the beginning of December on Reflection because masks once onboard were not required.  Unless everyone boarding the ship is FIT tested with an N95 or double masking surgical masks, I personally don't see the point.  Homemade cloth masks are useless!  We love to cruise 2 or 3 times a year but won't book another cruise until the mask mandate on Celebrity goes away.  We have a cruise booked the end of August and hopefully things will change by then.

I tend to agree.  Cloth masks or loose fitting masks or improperly worn masks will not be effective with Omicron.  In fact they will give the wearer perhaps a false sense of security and they might actually enhance spread of the virus by doing so.  If cruise ships require masking in indoor areas they need to specify the type of acceptable masks too.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, spammie said:

The masking is being done as much (or more) for perception than to actually impact the spread, especially when masks aren't N95 and they're allowed to be removed while in close contact with others.  "Wear it while walking down the hall alone, but take it off when you get to the martini bar" is certainly a peculiar strategy if driven by health.   

But, they go on quick and won't stop us from cruising. 

• Like 1