Pull me back from the edge...or push me over the edge...

graphicguy

Thanks all.   Good to hear about your experiences. Still haven’t decided. As mentioned, I am triple Vacd.  Truth of the matter, the reason people who will/won’t cruise hasn’t changed much since I sailed on the EDGE in July,  with the possible exception of those who won’t cruise Celebrity because of their VAX policies.  Now, it’s more of a situation where we understand that if you’re fully vaxed and contract Covid, it’s likely to be little more than a cold.  It’s those who aren’t vaxed who are (and have always been) the most vulnerable.

Thinking I might just take JANUARY off the table and look at February.  If I’m cold now, I should be very chilled by February and ready to make plans.

Jim…was hoping you’d chime in.  Like you, I’m waaaaayyyyyy more concerned about flying into FLL.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 4:48 PM, RichYak said:

I wouldn't sail until mid-February at the earliest, probably more like March. With the current Omicron spike, the risk of quarantine is far too high for my liking.

Seeing Omnicron starting to recede just as quickly as it came.  Thinking that’s because the majority are vaccinated, now.  

But, did rethink the timing.  Now, looking at a 2/26/22 Reflection cruise for Western Caribbean.  Seeing an S1 corner aft cabin #1214, which looks quite nice.  Anyone know anything about these corner aft cabins? TIA!

On 1/7/2022 at 4:43 AM, FlorenceItaly said:

True, about Kroger, but, if you should contract it locally, you can quarantine in the comfort of your own home.  I am triple vaccinated so am not worried if I should get COVID while cruising, but, it is the HASSLE of the quarantine and MORE that keeps me home.  Also, the masking mandate.  Let us know what you decide.

I am in agreement with you 100%.  When do you all think it will be ‘safe’ to cruise again.  No masks - No testing requirement - I’m OK with requiring Vaccinations

21 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I am in agreement with you 100%.  When do you all think it will be ‘safe’ to cruise again.  No masks - No testing requirement - I’m OK with requiring Vaccinations

I have NO idea.  I have a HAL cruise in August 2022, a wonderful 24 day New England/Iceland/Greenland cruise RT Boston.  The perfect itinerary, fantastic pricing with perks.  I have a feeling we will not be on it.  It pains me, but,  I do not seeing being able to handle masking for 24 days.  This is just US.  I have already booked a back up cruise, similar itinerary with the addition of Norway, Ireland, for 35 days RT Boston, July 2023.  This is probably more realistic for US.  It is TWICE the price, no perks.  Or perhaps our cruising days are over.  If so, we went out with a bang end of the year 2019 with HAL's wonderful 51 day Tales of the South Pacific,  RT San Diego.  We were starting to become a bit disenchanted with cruising anyway.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Seeing Omnicron starting to recede just as quickly as it came.  Thinking that’s because the majority are vaccinated, now.  

But, did rethink the timing.  Now, looking at a 2/26/22 Reflection cruise for Western Caribbean.  Seeing an S1 corner aft cabin #1214, which looks quite nice.  Anyone know anything about these corner aft cabins? TIA!

I'm on that cruise also in a corner cabin,#2217. First time on a corner cabin on a S-Class ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I have NO idea.  I have a HAL cruise in August 2022, a wonderful 24 day New England/Iceland/Greenland cruise RT Boston.  The perfect itinerary, fantastic pricing with perks.  I have a feeling we will not be on it.  It pains me, but,  I do not seeing being able to handle masking for 24 days.  This is just US.  I have already booked a back up cruise, similar itinerary with the addition of Norway, Ireland, for 35 days RT Boston, July 2023.  This is probably more realistic for US.  It is TWICE the price, no perks.  Or perhaps our cruising days are over.  If so, we went out with a bang end of the year 2019 with HAL's wonderful 51 day Tales of the South Pacific,  RT San Diego.  We were starting to become a bit disenchanted with cruising anyway.

I have a similar predicament. I am booked on a Celebrity Greek Islands cruise in Sept 2022.  Great itinerary- Great price  -  but I am not willing to spend 12 days breathing into a mask - and I am concerned about international travel and picking up COVID along the way ( not worried about getting COVID - I am vaxed and boosted - but am worried about being an asymptomatic positive case ). So yesterday I booked a backup for Sept 2023 to Greece  - higher price - not the ship I want.  I don’t like being torn and want to start to research ports etc.  Does anyone have their crystal ball up and running??

• Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 8:58 AM, FlorenceItaly said:

I should add that "keeps me home" should say "keeps me from cruising".    We have continued to travel throughout the two years.  Our last cruise was in December 2019.  Our latest travel includes a month in the KEYS/FL early Nov - early December.  We continue to enjoy life.  For NYE we were out at a Jazz Cafe, and just last night went to the Broadway show Tootsie in our city.

To each their own.  Visited the Keys early last year and nowhere else I have since traveled, and I’ve traveled a lot, have people been so oblivious about taking any precautions as if the virus doesn’t exist. I’ll take a cruise ship risk any time over Key West!  (Maybe you were elsewhere in the Keys, speaking of Key West in particular)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

To each their own.  Visited the Keys early last year and nowhere else I have since traveled, and I’ve traveled a lot, have people been so oblivious about taking any precautions as if the virus doesn’t exist. I’ll take a cruise ship risk any time over Key West!  (Maybe you were elsewhere in the Keys, speaking of Key West in particular)

We spent a few days in Key West, but, mainly in Marathon the majority of the time.  In regards to cruising, it is the possible isolation that keeps me from cruising.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2022 at 7:58 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

51 cases on a holiday sailing with unvaccinated children is not bad.   Future sailing will have few children and fewer passengers.   I won’t hesitate to cruise but I am taking a bunch of KN95, excellent fitting, masks.   I certainly will use them as directed.

Good reminder to start wearing my N95s when I have to go out. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

We spent a few days in Key West, but, mainly in Marathon the majority of the time.  In regards to cruising, it is the possible isolation that keeps me from cruising.

It is not worth the risk of being quarantined even if asymptomatic. I would hope that they could begin to treat positive COVID cases just like the Flu. Germs are everywhere!  Since everyone is vaxed, the chances of a life threatening illness from COVID is minimal.  At least that is how I understand it at this point. 

It is interesting to note that RC has 6 ships set aside for housing Positive COVID crew members.  The ships are full and it was noted that all are asymptomatic or very mild symptoms. 

• Like 2

Let me see: Daily live in an environment where the majority of residents, visitors to the state, and children are unvaccinated or inadequately protected, refuse to mask and socially distance or choose an environment where everyone is required to be vaccinated and wear masks while indoors.

A cruise wins (especially selecting one where the length of the cruise and time of the cruise preselects for  limit on unvaccinated disease vectors on board).

The jump in cases during the time around Christmas (+/- two weeks) is no surprise given the increase of children on board and the probable laxity of those boarding the ship to take proper precautions while enjoying the departure port.

We now no longer have the Christmas visitor clutter bringing, spreading and taking back home any infections picked up on their trip.

I expect to see the case rate ashore and onboard ship to drop rapidly.

• Like 2

Usually I pull the trigger fairly quickly when looking to book a cruise, and it's usually last minute sailings.

I've had paralysis by analysis this go round.

Still relatively last minute, but looking at February 26 out of FLL between these 2...

-Reflection in a Retreat S2 

-Apex in a Retreat S3

About an $800 delta between the two, but prefer the Apex's itinerary and it's a new ship.

I saw Host Anne's first hand account of her recent Reflection cruise and am torn between the two.

I'm giving myself 48 hours to make a decision. 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Usually I pull the trigger fairly quickly when looking to book a cruise, and it's usually last minute sailings.

Still relatively last minute, but looking at February 26 out of FLL between these 2...

-Apex in a Retreat S3

About an $800 delta between the two, but prefer the Apex's itinerary and it's a new ship.

I saw Host Anne's first hand account of her recent Reflection cruise and am torn between the two.

We won't be on an S class ship after the restart for a few more weeks, but I will say this. We would much rather go to entertainment events held in The Club, which are many on an Apex cruise, rather than Celebrity Central, if they are even holding any in there.

On 1/6/2022 at 6:58 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

51 cases on a holiday sailing with unvaccinated children is not bad.   Future sailing will have few children and fewer passengers.   I won’t hesitate to cruise but I am taking a bunch of KN95, excellent fitting, masks.   I certainly will use them as directed.

I am on summit in a month but it’s a music charter that is adults only so everyone will be vaccinated 😁, but sailing will be close to full.

56 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We won't be on an S class ship after the restart for a few more weeks, but I will say this. We would much rather go to entertainment events held in The Club, which are many on an Apex cruise, rather than Celebrity Central, if they are even holding any in there.

Thanks, Ken.  Another thing I didn’t think about, and agree with.

Edited by graphicguy

On 1/13/2022 at 11:55 AM, kwokpot said:

I'm on that cruise also in a corner cabin,#2217. First time on a corner cabin on a S-Class ship.

Our first celebrity cruise we got a free upgrade to a sky corner aft , loved it , this was on the then new solstice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

-Apex in a Retreat S3

At this point I would not decide based on itinerary.  Where the ship docks today could be totally different tomorrow.  I would choose by the ship.  since Apex is newer with much more bells and whistles, that would be my vote.

• Like 1

Graphicguy,  call us crazy but we booked a cruise on Apex for March 19th this morning.  We need a break and feel a cruise beginning and ending in the US is the safest for us.  Should we be quarantined during the cruise and not be able to fly we would be able to drive home (though it would be a long drive, 11 hours).   Our first choice was actually going to Turks and Caicos as we did last February but I’m too afraid of needing to quarantine there in a very expensive room!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nikel said:

At this point I would not decide based on itinerary.  Where the ship docks today could be totally different tomorrow.  I would choose by the ship.  since Apex is newer with much more bells and whistles, that would be my vote.

Excellent point.  Never thought of that.  Thanks!

42 minutes ago, NCHPcruiser said:

Graphicguy,  call us crazy but we booked a cruise on Apex for March 19th this morning.  We need a break and feel a cruise beginning and ending in the US is the safest for us.  Should we be quarantined during the cruise and not be able to fly we would be able to drive home (though it would be a long drive, 11 hours).   Our first choice was actually going to Turks and Caicos as we did last February but I’m too afraid of needing to quarantine there in a very expensive room!  

I'm kind of in the same boat.  Sailed this past July to the Caribbean.  Weird, but if feels like eons ago.  It's been cold here the past several weeks, and I'm jonesing for another cruise, already.

Been quite a few years since I sailed a Solstice class.  But, I liked the Edge so much, I really would like to check out the Apex, even though it's similar.

I'm vaxed and boosted.  So, feeling relatively safe.  I've sailed 3X since start up, and am comfortable in Celebrity's protocols.  Can't protect everyone, from everything, all the time.  But, I feel they do a really good job.

I'll do my part.

• Like 3

I really believe covid is here to stay.  It will become endemic over time, and those of us who believe in science will get their vaccines once a year just like getting our flu shots.  I plan on living my life as before, but with precautions as recommended by medical experts.  If that means wearing a mask while in an indoor, crowded situation, so be it.

We were on the Edge in late October, and it was so amazing!  At that time, omicron wasn’t a thing and delta was slowing down.  Being able to cruise, maskless, and in an uncrowded ship was simply wonderful.

On the other hand, we took a New Year’s Eve HAL cruise and omicron was peaking.  We wore masks when indoors, but spent as much time outdoors as possible.  Entertainment on board suffered as performers were quarantined due to exposure, but we still got to visit all the ports of call and had a generally nice time.

I think our future plans of action will be to book cruises a little “last minute” so we can assess the peaks and valleys of whatever future variants that may come our way and take the leap!  We are in the autumn of our lives, and want to spend time doing the things we love before winter sets in.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2022 at 6:03 PM, CJANDH said:

Then you should not even consider a cruise right now. All lines are now requiring masks indoors.

Your vaccination status is what most people cruising have now. But it does not protect you from getting infected. It does mean you will not likely get very sick. But if you test negative on a cruise these days, even with no symptoms, you will be moved to the quarantine deck and kept away from the rest of the ship for the rest of the cruise. The risk is too high for me.

you mean test POSITIVE?

• Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 8:54 AM, fsr44 said:

Because you asked, and based on my experience on Apex last week (and my knowledge of breakthrough cases) I wouldn’t go.  We masked everywhere indoors in KN95 and almost no one else did.  We are triple vaxed. None of that is a guarantee that you won’t get Covid, but a pretty good guarantee you won’t get really sick. Apex was less than transparent about how many cases. There were clearly some visibly sick, horribly coughing folks who did not self-report and who just hung out without masks. At least some folks were quarantined on deck 3 with no balcony. In short, it was far from a relaxing vacation.  The FLL airport was a nightmare of unmasked clearly very sick people.  We’re cancelling our March cruise without a second thought and will hope the situation improves for our June Med cruise.

OMG....and not one medical person was advised so they could test and isolate those that were 'visibly sick' on board?  And you masked...but very few did?  Quote "the inmates are running the asylum"...if it's as you experienced.

• Like 1