Pull me back from the edge...or push me over the edge...

graphicguy

OK....been since October since the last cruise (NCL Alaska).  It's only January but it's cold and I'm jonesing for a fix.  I did the unthinkable and looked at a Caribbean 7 night sailing this month or next.  Prices are very, very attractive (particularly for Sky Suites).  I know things were getting a bit less restrictive.

But, have heard rumblings that masks are required now on Celebrity.  True?  I can't seem to find any mention of it on their site.  Further, I've noticed when sometimes when prices drop so much, cancellations follow.

A) anyone sailed Celebrity in the last few weeks and can comment about mask wearing?

B)  I'm Vaccinated with a booster on top of it.  Any reported cases on Celebrity (like 10+ cases/sailing)?

C) If you think I'm gonzo for even looking for a cruise now, let me know that, too

D) Looks like Reflection has some particularly attractive rates.  Anyone have experience/opinions about the ship?

Just now, graphicguy said:

OK....been since October since the last cruise (NCL Alaska).  It's only January but it's cold and I'm jonesing for a fix.  I did the unthinkable and looked at a Caribbean 7 night sailing this month or next.  Prices are very, very attractive (particularly for Sky Suites).  I know things were getting a bit less restrictive.

But, have heard rumblings that masks are required now on Celebrity.  True?  I can't seem to find any mention of it on their site.  Further, I've noticed when sometimes when prices drop so much, cancellations follow.

A) anyone sailed Celebrity in the last few weeks and can comment about mask wearing?

currently required

B)  I'm Vaccinated with a booster on top of it.  Any reported cases on Celebrity (like 10+ cases/sailing)?

yes. Please read some of the “live From” threads 

C) If you think I'm gonzo for even looking for a cruise now, let me know that, too

D) Looks like Reflection has some particularly attractive rates.  Anyone have experience/opinions about the ship?

Please take some time to read some of the dozens of threads about this ship, including some “live From” threads 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

A. Masks required starting this week. 

As a result of increased COVID-19 cases associated with the Omicron variant, masks will be required for all guests (regardless of vaccination status,) at all times indoors except while eating or drinking.  Note that this policy is currently in effect and will be re-evaluated on a continuous basis.

B. There are cases. Probably more than 10. Probably many more. Transparency is not great other than 'above 1%'.

C. I own a travel business and just canceled our 1/2 Reflection sailing and will cancel Edge in February. For context, I was on the first Edge cruise out in June. Personally? No interest in cruising right now. At all.

D. Reflection is kind of an oddball now lacking some Retreat features so prices are a bit lower in general.

Edited by Jeremiah1212
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not the best time to book a cruise that sails anytime soon.

Many who are already booked are struggling with decisions, getting  testing appts, air trvl etc

If you book way ahead you can live the dream of the future cruise,  rather than risk possible illness in the real world..

• Like 2

Thanks for the insight.  I’m not a particularly pessimistic person.  I sailed the Edge in July right after the restart and loved it.

Had seen some of the other cruise lines start up this past summer, and they seemed to be all over the board with their procedures.

Celebrity looked to have the Magic Sauce with their procedures.

Still on the fenced.  Masking on board isn’t something I want…especially since I’ve been vaccinated, including the booster.

@Jeremiah1212…curious, what Reflection Retreat features are missing compared to Edge Class?  Appreciate the insight.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

curious, what Reflection Retreat features are missing compared to Edge Class?  Appreciate the insight.

No Private Retreat Sundeck which means no private pool or hottub. Michaels Club on Deck 5 is the Retreat Lounge. Functions the same but looks quite different.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

If it's any consolation, We're booked on a cruise in March on RCCL, MSC in May, and Celebrity Beyond in December, and the Equinox in March, 2023, and have every intention of sailing all 4.

Wish you luck!

We just canceled 2 Oasis for Feb.

What happens next month or months after is unknown at this time.

Stay Safe and Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

Until things settle down there are simply too many unknowns today.

From airlines canceling multiple flights to ports opening and closing almost daily to rules on board doing the same to the IMO significant risk of being quarantined on board; seems like the summer will be a better more stable time to cruise to me.  Less risk and more certainty that will make my wife happier.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks for the insight.  I’m not a particularly pessimistic person.  I sailed the Edge in July right after the restart and loved it.

Had seen some of the other cruise lines start up this past summer, and they seemed to be all over the board with their procedures.

Celebrity looked to have the Magic Sauce with their procedures.

Still on the fenced.  Masking on board isn’t something I want…especially since I’ve been vaccinated, including the booster.

@Jeremiah1212…curious, what Reflection Retreat features are missing compared to Edge Class?  Appreciate the insight.

There are many threads on “In Quarantine…”. Read them - Also there were more than 40 cases on Equinox that  ended on 1/3.  Quarantine protocols ( type of quarantine cabin, post disembarkation protocols) on different ships are worth learning about. Read and be informed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, luv4cruises said:

Masking on board isn’t something I want…especially since I’ve been vaccinated, including the booster.

Then you should not even consider a cruise right now. All lines are now requiring masks indoors.

Your vaccination status is what most people cruising have now. But it does not protect you from getting infected. It does mean you will not likely get very sick. But if you test negative on a cruise these days, even with no symptoms, you will be moved to the quarantine deck and kept away from the rest of the ship for the rest of the cruise. The risk is too high for me.

• Like 2

We would not even consider cruising for at least 3 months, or beyond, depending on what the restrictions are and how things are improving or deteriorating.  Being in quarantine is not a vacation, just ask the folks who recently posted about their experiences.  No thank you.  We’re now only booked one one cruise on Apex for September 2022 to the British Isles.  We cancelled everything else.  Just not worth it to us. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, George C said:

We cruised in July on edge and November on rccl and have two celebrity in February and November, it’s a little more hassle but we love to cruise, as long as ship sails we will sail.

Earlier cruised had far fewer cases.  The Equinox that disembarked on 1/3 had 51 cases according to those on that sailing. There are many posts regarding the quarantine experience. When I sailed in Aug and Dec - only 4 cases!  Hope the Omicron Surge ends soon! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, George C said:

We cruised in July on edge and November on rccl and have two celebrity in February and November, it’s a little more hassle but we love to cruise, as long as ship sails we will sail.

As I think about it, I’m more at risk going to Krogers than I am on a cruise ship where I know for a fact everyone is vaccinated.

10 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

51 cases on a holiday sailing with unvaccinated children is not bad.   Future sailing will have few children and fewer passengers.   I won’t hesitate to cruise but I am taking a bunch of KN95, excellent fitting, masks.   I certainly will use them as directed.

Good point about there being fewer children who are unvaccinated on board.

As I reflect, there was more hand wringing over those first July start up cruises.  So, the procedures now are not foreign to me.

Leaning on booking something for Feb.  Actually, looking pretty closely at one of the APEX sailings too, although I know it’s a clone of the Edge, which I’ve sailed 2X.

Was just looking for any personal recent experiences.  Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

As I think about it, I’m more at risk going to Krogers than I am on a cruise ship where I know for a fact everyone is vaccinated.

Good point about there being fewer children who are unvaccinated on board.

As I reflect, there was more hand wringing over those first July start up cruises.  So, the procedures now are not foreign to me.

Leaning on booking something for Feb.  Actually, looking pretty closely at one of the APEX sailings too, although I know it’s a clone of the Edge, which I’ve sailed 2X.

Was just looking for any personal recent experiences.  Thanks for the input.

True, about Kroger, but, if you should contract it locally, you can quarantine in the comfort of your own home.  I am triple vaccinated so am not worried if I should get COVID while cruising, but, it is the HASSLE of the quarantine and MORE that keeps me home.  Also, the masking mandate.  Let us know what you decide.

• Like 4

Because you asked, and based on my experience on Apex last week (and my knowledge of breakthrough cases) I wouldn’t go.  We masked everywhere indoors in KN95 and almost no one else did.  We are triple vaxed. None of that is a guarantee that you won’t get Covid, but a pretty good guarantee you won’t get really sick. Apex was less than transparent about how many cases. There were clearly some visibly sick, horribly coughing folks who did not self-report and who just hung out without masks. At least some folks were quarantined on deck 3 with no balcony. In short, it was far from a relaxing vacation.  The FLL airport was a nightmare of unmasked clearly very sick people.  We’re cancelling our March cruise without a second thought and will hope the situation improves for our June Med cruise.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FlorenceItaly said:

True, about Kroger, but, if you should contract it locally, you can quarantine in the comfort of your own home.  I am triple vaccinated so am not worried if I should get COVID while cruising, but, it is the HASSLE of the quarantine and MORE that keeps me home.  Also, the masking mandate.  Let us know what you decide.

I should add that "keeps me home" should say "keeps me from cruising".    We have continued to travel throughout the two years.  Our last cruise was in December 2019.  Our latest travel includes a month in the KEYS/FL early Nov - early December.  We continue to enjoy life.  For NYE we were out at a Jazz Cafe, and just last night went to the Broadway show Tootsie in our city.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

My thoughts precisely.

We have a B2B2B scheduled starting with a TransAtlantic leaving in 91 days.   I made final payment on the TransAtlatntic and we plan on going.  I have no problem wearing a mask outside the cabin as we have done that on our past 4 cruises. 

The only thing I have changed is that I booked our Air from California  a day earlier than normal just in case of a flight scheduling problem.   We always keep extra self tests on hand and like our previous cruises I bring along my forehead thermometer and and Oximiter.    I also just purchased some additional N95 masks

To be honest I am more afraid of Fort Lauderdale than I am of the cruise.   Last time we were there numerous people in the terminal were not wearing masks and no enforcement at all.   We have stayed the past in Embassy Suites and they have contact free registration and electronic keys so you don't even need to be in contact with employees.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have a B2B2B scheduled starting with a TransAtlantic leaving in 91 days.   I made final payment on the TransAtlatntic and we plan on going.  I have no problem wearing a mask outside the cabin as we have done that on our past 4 cruises. 

The only thing I have changed is that I booked our Air from California  a day earlier than normal just in case of a flight scheduling problem.   We always keep extra self tests on hand and like our previous cruises I bring along my forehead thermometer and and Oximiter.    I also just purchased some additional N95 masks

Jim - your risk is more of getting your trans-Atlantic cruise ruined by isolation and quarantine.  Not of becoming seriously ill.  Hopefully this risk will be much reduced by the time you go in April.