What type of "Service Dog" is this?

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

I saw him once in the Solarium, minus dog.  He was telling people the dog gets too nervous around crowds.  So he leaves him in the by himself and they allow this.

Sounds like his service dog needs his own srvice dog!!! 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, ryano said:

Yes and no. 

You would be surprised how many hotels these days are actually "pet friendly" so there may be a good chance youve already stayed in a room that someones pet stayed in before.

We were invited to attend the Tour Championship by a vendor a few years ago either 2017 or 2018.  I told them, we were visiting North Carolina (go Tar Heels) for a road trip and that we would have our Wire Fox Terrier with us, and we wouldn’t be able to join them at the Ritz Carlton and the golf tournament.  They said if you can get here, we will make sure your WFT is allowed.  So, when we did self parking at the Ritz, we met a hotel employee seeing us struggling with crate, dog, and luggage, and he took us on a short cut thru the kitchen to the front desk!  I think the vendor had to pay an extra $250 for our two nights.  

JC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Her dog has her own Pinnacle Pin

I went through past photos on my phone to see if this collar had a Pin. I couldn’t see one. 

6AFFE381-4271-4C0E-8DBF-F5602E960554.thumb.jpeg.fcc0b8b86bcbba832b34bcfecfcc7c50.jpeg

Out for their night walk l, with his leash on. 

C5C34CF7-3737-4807-AD77-43741104CED1.thumb.jpeg.8328305f26c7d9f0e7f8e521431c59f2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 1/12/2022 at 2:47 PM, Mabbiez said:

So the one thing that could possibly prevent fake service dogs is if there was a real recognized certification. That being said, it's still something I have mixed feelings about. Many people who are disabled with a service dog do not have extra money to do things like pay for a registration fee as they are often on disability. I am someone who can still work with my disability so I would be able to pay. It's one of those things that I personally just do not have the answer for.

Upon successfully passing the requirements for registration, along with your official registration document(s) is a 100% refund of the registration fee?  The fee is only held back for failed attempts?

On 1/11/2022 at 4:00 PM, time4u2go said:

I thought HIPAA only applies to the release of medical information by medical providers (and some of their associated businesses).  I didn't think it applied to asking medical questions of an individual.

This, is true. I work as an EMT on ambulance. Outside of one-on-one medical, HIPAA does not apply.

On 1/12/2022 at 9:50 AM, cured said:

It is actually Title II and Title III of the ADA that prohibit anyone from asking any questions except the two that were previously posted: is this a dog required for a disability and what job is it trained to do? No other questions nor proof of training or disability is allowed.

II. Service Animal Defined by Title II and Title III of the ADA

A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Tasks performed can include, among other things, pulling a wheelchair, retrieving dropped items, alerting a person to a sound, reminding a person to take medication, or pressing an elevator button.

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals either. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual’s disability. It does not matter if a person has a note from a doctor that states that the person has a disability and needs to have the animal for emotional support. A doctor’s letter does not turn an animal into a service animal.

Examples of animals that fit the ADA’s definition of “service animal” because they have been specifically trained to perform a task for the person with a disability:

· Guide Dog or Seeing Eye® Dog1 is a carefully trained dog that serves as a travel tool for persons who have severe visual impairments or are blind.

· Hearing or Signal Dog is a dog that has been trained to alert a person who has a significant hearing loss or is deaf when a sound occurs, such as a knock on the door.

· Psychiatric Service Dog is a dog that has been trained to perform tasks that assist individuals with disabilities to detect the onset of psychiatric episodes and lessen their effects. Tasks performed by psychiatric service animals may include reminding the handler to take medicine, providing safety checks or room searches, or turning on lights for persons with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, interrupting self-mutilation by persons with dissociative identity disorders, and keeping disoriented individuals from danger.

· SSigDOG (sensory signal dogs or social signal dog) is a dog trained to assist a person with autism. The dog alerts the handler to distracting repetitive movements common among those with autism, allowing the person to stop the movement (e.g., hand flapping).

· Seizure Response Dog is a dog trained to assist a person with a seizure disorder. How the dog serves the person depends on the person’s needs. The dog may stand guard over the person during a seizure or the dog may go for help. A few dogs have learned to predict a seizure and warn the person in advance to sit down or move to a safe place.

Under Title II and III of the ADA, service animals are limited to dogs. However, entities must make reasonable modifications in policies to allow individuals with disabilities to use miniature horses if they have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for individuals with disabilities.

But, I have every right to ask any questions I want. As a fellow human. You may not agree. But, there is no recourse. That's the great thing about America.  It may piss you off! But, I WILL push the subject, even if everybody else is afraid of retribution!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2022 at 9:07 AM, chengkp75 said:

I am a lifelong dog owner, but I do not take my dog to stores or restaurants, to inflict my views on pets on others.  Pets have no place on a cruise ship.

This ^^^^^^^

• Like 4

9 hours ago, FireEMT978 said:

But, I have every right to ask any questions I want. As a fellow human. You may not agree. But, there is no recourse. That's the great thing about America.  It may piss you off! But, I WILL push the subject, even if everybody else is afraid of retribution!

Just stating what the law is. And no, you do not have every right to ask any question you want. It is just as much a law as HIPAA.  Do I have the right to grill you why you responded to one person's emergency, pushing you to disclose why you responded, what the person's diagnosis was, and questioning your ability to determine that the person needed medical help?

And yes, there is recourse for business owners and individuals that ask more than those two questions.   That is the great thing about America, it has laws to protect people from insensitive, uneducated, boors.

I agree that the pets being passed off as service dogs is a huge problem.  It is causing problems for people that actually need a service dog, like you wanting to challenge their dog.  However, with the current laws in place, sometimes it is very difficult for a business to determine if the dog is an actual service dog, an ESA or just a pet, If a person is willing to illegally pass off their pet as a service dog, they are willing to lie about it.  Now you are asking a business to determine if the person is lying or not.  There is plenty of retribution for a business if they make the wrong decision and deny an actual service dog, which is why businesses err on the side of caution.

If you decide to berate and challenge a person with a Psychiatric Service Dog and trigger an event, yes, you can be held accountable and yes, there can be retribution.  While pets being passed off as a service animal is an enormous problem, challenging people who very well could have a true service animal is not the answer.  Just makes you a mega ass. 

Exactly what is your "pushing the subject" going to do? Except to cause distress to the person you are challenging? The company has already made the determination that the dog is allowed. They are not going to all of a sudden change their decision. Being an insensitive vigilante is not good in any situation.

If it bothers you that much, work with disability groups on helping them solve the problem. The people using true service dogs have some great ideas of what they need and want. Support their efforts. Being a vigilante ass won't solve the actual problem.

Edited by cured
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cured said:

Just stating what the law is. And no, you do not have every right to ask any question you want. It is just as much a law as HIPAA.  Do I have the right to grill you why you responded to one person's emergency, pushing you to disclose why you responded, what the person's diagnosis was, and questioning your ability to determine that the person needed medical help?

And yes, there is recourse for business owners and individuals that ask more than those two questions.   That is the great thing about America, it has laws to protect people from insensitive, uneducated, boors.

I agree that the pets being passed off as service dogs is a huge problem.  It is causing problems for people that actually need a service dog, like you wanting to challenge their dog.  However, with the current laws in place, sometimes it is very difficult for a business to determine if the dog is an actual service dog, an ESA or just a pet, If a person is willing to illegally pass off their pet as a service dog, they are willing to lie about it.  Now you are asking a business to determine if the person is lying or not.  There is plenty of retribution for a business if they make the wrong decision and deny an actual service dog, which is why businesses err on the side of caution.

If you decide to berate and challenge a person with a Psychiatric Service Dog and trigger an event, yes, you can be held accountable and yes, there can be retribution.  While pets being passed off as a service animal is an enormous problem, challenging people who very well could have a true service animal is not the answer.  Just makes you a mega ass. 

Exactly what is your "pushing the subject" going to do? Except to cause distress to the person you are challenging? The company has already made the determination that the dog is allowed. They are not going to all of a sudden change their decision. Being an insensitive vigilante is not good in any situation.

If it bothers you that much, work with disability groups on helping them solve the problem. The people using true service dogs have some great ideas of what they need and want. Support their efforts. Being a vigilante ass won't solve the actual problem.

I disagree.  Everyone has the right to ASK any question they want of anyone.  What you (general) DON'T have the right to do is demand an answer.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

No words necessary

Painted Dog on Ship.jpg

One of our puppies is a legitimate, trained, diabetic service dog for the young daughter of a family. The parents died it to rainbow colors to make it look like a unicorn, much like this one but the "mane" and "hooves" are pink.  I was just shaking my head wondering what the heck they were thinking.  It is hard enough for people to believe service dogs are serious workers, harder to take serious when the dog looks like a caricature.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I disagree.  Everyone has the right to ASK any question they want of anyone.  What you (general) DON'T have the right to do is demand an answer.  

That's what I was thinking as well.  You can ask anything you want.  The law just means that you can't require that the person answers.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

That is true. But this guy was saying he was going to "press" the issue which insinuates he was going to demand an answer.  There is a major difference between asking a polite question and "pressing the issue."  One can be borne out of curiosity, even annoyance, the other one out of aggression.

And him "pressing the issue" is not going to do anything but cause angst between himself and the person he is pressing.  The company already made the determination that the dog was allowed, so what is his pushing the issue going to do? 

PTSD service dogs can be smaller dogs.  Is this guy going to grill a veteran if his dog is needed, possibly triggering an episode?  Not a good idea to "press the issue" with anyone when the business has already made the decision the dog was legitimate.

Technically, I can ask someone what disability they have that they need their chair and the person who is in the chair doesn't need to answer. However, I know it is not allowed to ask personal medical questions, so why do it?  

As I said, people passing off pets is a MAJOR problem.   But to initiate change, ask the people with legitimate service dogs what they need to help fix the problem. They are the ones impacted. Work with organizations that are working to make change for people who use service dogs. Their ideas are the most important.  Just as a note, there are many who use legitimate service dogs who are adamant against any kind of registration.

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ThirstyCruiser said:

Upon successfully passing the requirements for registration, along with your official registration document(s) is a 100% refund of the registration fee?  The fee is only held back for failed attempts?

There is no requirement for certification and/registration of service dogs because of the input of people with disabilities during the rule making process for the ADA.

17 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

That's what I was thinking as well.  You can ask anything you want.  The law just means that you can't require that the person answers.

The ADA regulations don’t apply to individual; it applies to employers and places of public accommodation. So, an individual is not prohibited byADA (or HIPPA for that matter) from asking another person whatever intrusive or boorish personal question they may think up. 

On the other hand, and entity covered by ADA (read business) may not ask any other question if the result is that the person with a disability is denied access.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cured said:

That is true. But this guy was saying he was going to "press" the issue which insinuates he was going to demand an answer.  There is a major difference between asking a polite question and "pressing the issue."  One can be borne out of curiosity, even annoyance, the other one out of aggression.

And him "pressing the issue" is not going to do anything but cause angst between himself and the person he is pressing.  The company already made the determination that the dog was allowed, so what is his pushing the issue going to do? 

PTSD service dogs can be smaller dogs.  Is this guy going to grill a veteran if his dog is needed, possibly triggering an episode?  Not a good idea to "press the issue" with anyone when the business has already made the decision the dog was legitimate.

Technically, I can ask someone what disability they have that they need their chair and the person who is in the chair doesn't need to answer. However, I know it is not allowed to ask personal medical questions, so why do it?  

As I said, people passing off pets is a MAJOR problem.   But to initiate change, ask the people with legitimate service dogs what they need to help fix the problem. They are the ones impacted. Work with organizations that are working to make change for people who use service dogs. Their ideas are the most important.  Just as a note, there are many who use legitimate service dogs who are adamant against any kind of registration.

How is it a MAJOR problem?  I just think people make a big deal about it because they are pissed the owners feel privileged enough to do this.

I have been on Oasis for the last two weeks, and I heard this little dog was onboard, but had not seen it. Until last night. 

We went to Chops, and had a nice, quiet table indoors. A couple came in pushing a stroller, and they scoop up the little dog and put it on the bench between them at the table. They were at a table with a bench on one side, and chais on the other. 

For the most part, it behaved, then the lady put it on her lap and started feeding the dog at the table. But the worst of it was when their server came over to their table, and they held the dog up and it started licking the server’s face and hands. 

That was one night we were glad we had a different server, because we did not see her rush off to wash her face or hands.  It was just wrong in so many ways. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, cured said:

One of our puppies is a legitimate, trained, diabetic service dog for the young daughter of a family. The parents died it to rainbow colors to make it look like a unicorn, much like this one but the "mane" and "hooves" are pink.  I was just shaking my head wondering what the heck they were thinking.  It is hard enough for people to believe service dogs are serious workers, harder to take serious when the dog looks like a caricature.

One thing I have learned from others in the service dog community is that there is a legit reason to dye your dog (as long at it is pet safe dye). Service dogs are expensive. Their training is expensive. They are known to be targeted for theft. Someone is not going to want to steal a dog with unicorn colors because it will easily be identified. They are likely going to go after one that is just normal. I've considered dying Mila's tail pink (all of her gear is pink) but I'm also afraid people will judge based on that.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mabbiez said:

One thing I have learned from others in the service dog community is that there is a legit reason to dye your dog (as long at it is pet safe dye). Service dogs are expensive. Their training is expensive. They are known to be targeted for theft. Someone is not going to want to steal a dog with unicorn colors because it will easily be identified. They are likely going to go after one that is just normal. I've considered dying Mila's tail pink (all of her gear is pink) but I'm also afraid people will judge based on that.  

I think a pink tail would be adorable 🙂  Not so sure about full rainbow zebra stripes, pink mane and tail. That said, if it encourages the little girl to be serious about her "unicorn" then more power to the family. They know what is best.

• Like 2