The Daily for Tuesday 01/25/2022

richwmn

26 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Just got back from the gym and have a hair appointment this morning but wanted to drop in and let you all know DSIL's Mom died last night about 10 pm.  Her MRI yesterday confirmed fluid on the brain and even if the surgeons drained it she was not going to live.  Her brain was too damaged by all the stroke/seizures she experienced in the past 10 days.  DSIL, his Dad and sister said their goodbyes and they started removing feeding tubes. 😪

Very shocking when someone passes so swiftly but I suppose better than lying in bed in a vegatative state for months or years. 

Roy, please remove DSIL from the Celebration list.  Thank you all for your earnest prayers but God does what he has planned. If I have a little time before my appointment I will come back to read.

So sorry to hear that.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.

We are starting the day with sunshine instead of snow, a welcome improvement here in northeast Ohio.  

@StLouisCruisers I am so sorry to hear of DSIL's mother's death.  May she rest in peace and may he find peace knowing she has.  You are right that it is better to go quickly rather than linger and suffer.  It always seems  hardest for those left behind.  

Today's meal is one I would really like.  I didn't find much variation in recipes so I offer you these two.  First from Bon Appetit:  https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/brassicas-bowl  Or, if  you have trouble accessing that site, Epicurious  https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/brassicas-bowl

brassicas-bowl.thumb.jpg.bf9e13aaa7625383bea110cd8e24a4c2.jpg

This is a vegetarian entree, but could be supplemented with some chicken.  The hard boiled egg would serve as a protein.   If you don't like the kale, substitute spinach.  

This one is slightly different.  https://kristinkooks.com/2017/02/10/brassicas-bowl/  The chef used broccoli instead of broccolini and walnuts instead of sunflower seeds.  She also added a touch of feta cheese.  

1804904468_brassicasbowl2.jpg.8d2efb4b1307d319cb359fd24102fb2d.jpg

1125128178_brassicasbowl3.jpg.8a39c170fd597fe589578e83ef6434ba.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 12

Greetings,

I am sitting i the cafeteria at the Mayo Clinic just after my blood work is completed, having something to eat so that I can take the rest of my meds.

Worst egg and cheese sandwich I ever tasted. But need food for the meds so have to eat it.

New cafeteria in the building where my procedure is and it is slim pickin’s.  Too far to walk to the main cafeteria and get back in time.

Thank you all for all the well wishes.

DH still in bed at the hotel when I left at 7:15 am.  Going to call and wake him up so he can have some breakfast.

Hopefully I will be able to report back later.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Thanks again for your prayers and good wishes.

God bless,

Terri

• Like 27
  • Thanks 7

35 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Just got back from the gym and have a hair appointment this morning but wanted to drop in and let you all know DSIL's Mom died last night about 10 pm.  Her MRI yesterday confirmed fluid on the brain and even if the surgeons drained it she was not going to live.  Her brain was too damaged by all the stroke/seizures she experienced in the past 10 days.  DSIL, his Dad and sister said their goodbyes and they started removing feeding tubes. 😪

Very shocking when someone passes so swiftly but I suppose better than lying in bed in a vegatative state for months or years. 

Roy, please remove DSIL from the Celebration list.  Thank you all for your earnest prayers but God does what he has planned. If I have a little time before my appointment I will come back to read.

Deepest condolences and prayers for the family.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report.  And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

We have been to Melbourne twice but not by cruising. My photos are on CF memory cards so will need to look for them. A really nice city with a lot of heritage.

Tomorrow we have the HVAC technician coming for one of our heat pumps. It seems the winter storm over a week ago took its toll. It is still the original 13 year-old unit but also the bigger of the two. I never noticed a problem until Saturday night when I woke to a sort of burning smell in the house. Checked everywhere but finally determined that it might be the auxiliary heating coils warming. Ran through checking symptoms the next day and realized that the strange noise the condenser unit made during the storm may have been the problem. It sounded like an out-of-balance dryer load. Our snow cover is still with us so started to clear a path to the unit,  I priced a replacement 1-1/2 years ago when we replaced the other unit and decided to wait until it died. Let's just say we could do a nice 14 day cruise in a Neptune Suite instead! 

Stay safe!

- Jack

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

So sorry for your loss.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm really sorry to hear your news Sandi.

Heartfelt condolences to your daughter,son in law and all his family.

Graham.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Interesting collection of days. DH and I are quite opposite on many things but we get along comfortably- mostly because we respect one another. 

I love a good rosé so I will have to look for that one. Not crazy about whiskey in any form so I’ll pass on the drink. The meal sounds intriguing though. 

I’ve never been to Australia but I hear it’s quite spectacular. 

Prayers for those on the list. 

• Like 27

Hi again!  Leaving here in about 5 minutes for my appointment and an errand first.  I have had some nice days in Melbourne on our two Australia cruises.  Later today I will post a couple photos from then.  Meanwhile, thanks to all for your condolences.  I didn't know DSIL's Mom Carol well but he is a great guy and I'm sad for his loss so early.  I have a sweet photo taken at his and my DD's wedding in 2007 of him standing next to his Mom.  Looking at it I can see clearly that he looks very much like her.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ9_vZUNu39QYg1zT24xBB1aAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=small&ts=1643056273

May she rest in peace.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 10

Good morning Rich and fellow Daily-ites. 

I was surprised at the 45 degree temperature this morning when I went to feed the birds. It will warm to mid 50's for the day.

I'm interested in the dish of the day. I like lots of veggies but would add chicken or beef for MSH as Debbie suggested. 

Rich, if I added red food coloring to my pinot grigio would it count as red wine?

I'm sure missing being on a BHB. I read on my news feed that more Caribbean islands turned to higher covid rates/colors yesterday. 

Sending up prayers to all on Roy's list. Good health and blessings to you dear friends. 

• Like 27

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am sorry to hear this Sandi.Prayers for your family at this sad time. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers I am sorry that your SIL and his family, and your DD and your family have had another death in your family circle this year.  

I used to say that the older we get, the more people we lose, but then add in Covid, and it becomes a whole other thing.  Too many people aren't getting the care that they need immediately due to what is going on in the world.

DH is glad to be home, the cats are glad he's home, and I'm glad he's home.

With cloudy skies today, and all the talk of cold, I found a picture of one of my happy places (instead of a cat meme) so if you need a boost of sunshine-

sanibel-moorings.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report! 

20211124_093053.jpg

Looks like Magans Bay in St. Thomas, been there many times but  while we there in 1992 "Weekend at Bernies" part 2 was being filmed right on the beach. 

• Like 21

@StLouisCruisersI am sorry to hear of your DSIL's mothers passing.   Like you said it is better than lingering in a vegetative state but it is never easy and from her 2007 it seems way too soon. 

Love Irish Coffee not the calories.  I remember drinking them in SF at Trolley Square and having probably one too many.   

The wine sounds interesting and it is a good producer.  I love the name - from Quentin Tarantino's movie Reservoir Dogs with Steve Buscemi playing Mr. Pink.   Even for a Tarantino movie it was disturbingly violent.   The scene involved the crooks working up their scheme and assigning their assumed names by colors hence Mr. Pink.  

Today is another special day - somehow it came up on one of the morning new shows I watch trying to wake up National Plan for Vacation Day.   https://www.ustravel.org/events/national-plan-vacation-day  A perfect thing to do for a snowy winter day - or any day!  Never been to Melbourne - I hate flying - I guess I can start planning a Grand Voyage there RT San Diego.    

The veggie bowls don't look too appetizing other than the eggs and the tomato.   

The young man who wanted my cat came and picked her up.  After being on her own outdoors for 2 months she was calm when crated and allowed him to pet her through the crate.  I talked to him about vetting later today which was her probably having fleas.   They are keeping her separate until she is vetted but he texted me a while later "she loves baths" after he gave her a flea bath.   I pray she passes the vet check.  They are thrilled with her, such a kind cat and I cannot fathom how someone could discard her or not try to find her through the lost pet options on Facebook.   

Prayers for everyone on Roy's care list, the three firefighters killed in Baltimore, the firefighter who is fighting for his life, my brother and DSIL as they both are battling severe cold symptoms.   He was supposed to get  knee replacement surgery but wisely cancelled when he began to feel ill.  He is fully vaccinated but DSIL is not at all.   I told him to go to immediate care first thing today.  He is 78 years old and overweight.    🙏

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Prayers and toasts.

Black Gold:

Ingredients
1.25 part Jameson Caskmates Stout Edition
0.75 Kahlua
1 dash Angostura bitters

How To Make
Build in a rocks glass over ice and stir gently
Garnish with a flamed orange twist
If you’re flaming by hand, check for singed eyelashes

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 9.53.21 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4

A rainy morning is a great reason to sleep in late and I took full advantage of it.

My medical appointment yesterday revealed still cancer free and I no longer have to have the uncomfortable examination. No need for list or replies.

I love Irish DeCaf Coffee’s with a dab of Creme De Menthe on top of the whipped cream.

Despite the rain I need to get moving and do some errands this morning.

Sandi sorry to hear about your SIL’s mother. 

Thanks Rich, Roy and all of my CC friends.Have a great day!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a chilly and rainy day at the beach

@StLouisCruisers Sandi ,  So sorry to hear this news. Condolences to the family and their memories bring them peace.

I really like Irish Coffee but only have it on a ship or at a wedding. 

The quote is interesting, I have heard it several times lately. 

@rafinmd Roy, you can remove me from the celebration list. My stitches are out and I am doing fine. Thank you all for your good thoughts.

Melbourne is on our scheduled trip in the FALL. I really hope it goes. Dont know. I used a lot of FCC from cancelled trips to book it so we will wait it out. Really looking forward to pictures.

Many prayers for the firemen in Baltimore. Too sad.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

So sorRy @StLouis Cruiserto hear about DSIL mom passing.

Yesterday we got a morning call that our dear friend and neighbor passed away. She was unexpected hospitalized with heart issues and staying with her daughters in NJ over the holidays. Saturday they brought her back to DC to check the house and pick up mail and blessed DH and myself by having lunch with us as she wasn’t seeing any other neighbors. She appeared in good spirits and ate our homemade Turkey sOup and some chocolate ice cream. That  was her last meal as she didn’t eat anything on Sunday. She apparently knew the end was near and talked with her three daughters Sunday night. Monday morning she was having a sip of water and just dIed 🥲😢

• Like 11
  • Thanks 20