The Daily for Tuesday 01/25/2022

richwmn

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Several regular posters on the Daily Threads are scheduled to sail on Nieuw Statendam from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale Oct 8th 2022. On my recent Rotterdam Christmas Cruise, @Sharon in AZ set up a nice meeting in the Ocean Bar for Daily regulars to get to know each other a bit. For those that are involved, would you like to do a meeting or maybe a dinner?

@dfish, @Cruising-along, and others?

I would love that - thank you!

• Like 8

Some bits of good news! DDIL had bad cold symptoms the past few days, so got a covid test yesterday. The results came back negative - yay!! One less worry for her.

Even better - my dear sis & I booked the 2023 Voyage of the Vikings today! She has never been on a cruise ship, so this shows how much she really wants to go! DH & I did the Rotterdam to Boston piece a number of years ago, but the full VoV was on our bucket list. Can't wait!

• Like 21

Busy afternoon as we made a quick trip to Blythe to pick up a prescription and a couple of other things.  Then, a stop at the PO to pick up the Covid tests we ordered last week.  They actually came in yesterday.   Between the USPS and the start up of distribution, I was surprised they came in less than a week.

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

In hard times I like to look for signs of normality.  One thing that can't get much normal is that whether it's spectacular or hidden and one sees it or not the sun will always rise.  Considering the sad situation with Crystal Cruises I am going back to something special.  When the Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage was announced I got the incredible dream of a complete circumnavigation of the Americas and I was able to do it in a span of about 4 years, while the segments ran in different directions and a random order.  This was my circumnavigation:

Fort Lauderdale to Rio, MS Maasdam, January 2015

Rio and Buenos Aires, Crystal Serenity, 2017

Buenos Aires and Manta (via Antarctica), Crystal Symphony, 2016

Manta and San Diego, MS Zaandam, 2017

San Diego and Vancouver, MS Oosterdam, 2017

Vancouver and Seward, MS Westerdam, 2018

Seward and New York, Crystal Serenity, 2016

New York and Southampton (another detour), 2016

Southampton and Fort Lauderdale, Queen Victoria, 2016

In this sequence I am using one of the first sunrises from the Maasdam.  January 25, 2015 was a sea day between Key West and a planned stop at Grand Cayman:

dawn125a.jpg

Roy

We wanted to do the NW passage cruise, but could never fit it in.  Oh well, it's on the list of missed travels that includes taking QE2 over and Concorde back.

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Thank you. Too early to know about the aides. So far, so good.

Carol, we all hope they work out.  You deserve a break in the bad aide saga.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hope all is well today with Jacqui @kazu.  Either I missed her post or she didn't make it here today.  Praying you're having a good day Jacqui.🙏

I also wondered about @kazu Jacqui. I hope she's just busy with the roll calls.

@NextOne  That's good news about your DDIL.  That must be a big relief to the entire family.  Great you and your sister booked the VOV for next year.  Have fun planning the cruise.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisersmy sincere condolences to your DSIL on the passing of his DM.  May he and his family cherish her memories of the good times.

Also condolences to those losing dear friends.  As we age, there are so many we all are losing.

I join others in celebrating Irish Coffee Day.  Loved our visit to the Janeson’s distillery in Dublin.  That started my love of Irish whiskey!  

Island breezes are blowing here in Waikiki.  Enjoying the day with friends of many years.  Just made reservations for next January.  One of the housekeeping staff remarked to me that I had been coming to the Hale Koa for many years, as she noticed a bag I have had for a long time.  LOL

Aloha!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

A bit of good news here.  The firefighter injured in yesterday's fire and on life support is reported to be awake and alert today.

Roy

Roy, that is good news indeed.  Sending positive thoughts for his continued improvement and a full recovery.

Lenda

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

@Heartgrove we recently replaced a small heat pump, had good luck at Costco.  Their heat & air provider is a well-respected local group, and we received great service, good pricing, and a gift card.

Yes, that was how we replaced the smaller unit using that program. We have two Lennox fireplaces that have been discontinued. The Lennox dealer assigned to our area won't service them.  I then tried the dealer over the mountain.  They gladly came to service them. When the one unit broke down enough times ($$$) , I contacted Costco. To my surprise and delight they were the dealer working with this program! 

What I like with this dealer is that they continually work with one of the local non-profit to install units donated by Lennox in homes that can't afford them. I don't mind spending money with a company that pays it forward.

- Jack

• Like 16

What a busy day on the Daily!

I survived, and passed with flying colors, the dreaded :oscopy.  The prep was really unpleasant this time, but as I said I survived.  Once you get to the facility, it’s smooth sailing.

@richwmn, we are on the October 8 cruise, and very much in favor of meeting our CC friends.  Thank you!

@ottahand7Thank you for the efforts you put in for the cat.  It sounds as if, like the Daily’s Malamute Sam, she may have found her best life.  Bless you.  We have taken in more “gifts from God” than I can count.

@StLouisCruisersthe picture of your son in law and his mother is just wonderful.  I know her children are just heartbroken.  Thank you for letting us know about him so we can send him strength.

@kazu thinking of you today.

I’m sorry, afraid to navigate away from this page, but whoever commented about how useful the avatars are is spot on.  I’ll see if I can find something worth identifying with.

@mamaofamiI hope that the time has come for you to have some very positive days!

My best and thanks to all.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Yes and Yes!  Can we do both?  I had great fun setting up our meet at the Ocean Bar but was very surprised how busy it was that night based on our previous cruise meeting (on the Koningsdam in October) that I had set up. Anyway, this time I would definitely call ahead and set aside an area if at all possible. And I don’t mind getting a tray of appetizers for us. (BTW Rich, I still don’t know why I got those chocolate covered strawberries because I certainly didn’t order them. Nice surprise though.)

Here is our group on the Rotterdam. 

49383543-A63F-4DFC-B1E3-370A43C44B1C.jpeg.8a5918b10c79a08da008575f94b23d7d.jpeg

Yay!

Sounds like a great idea!  But as Rich knows I’m not a 4:00 pm get together person so maybe the first time we could meet at 7:00 pm embarkation day.  It was nice to meet everyone that first night. 

I know @NextOne&    @AncientWanderer are also on our sailing.  Right now I can’t remember if anyone else is though. 

I would be happy to arrange our first night meeting if someone else could arrange the dinner.  Feel free to email me (email is in my signature) and I’ll start a list. 

7:00 pm works for me as well.  I just mentioned that because it worked so well for us.  We didn't need to arrange anything, just show up.  Of course, at 7:00 pm it might be different as night life starts.  

• Like 9

@Sharon in AZ @Cruising-along @dfish @AncientWanderer @NextOne @Live4cruises

Most days sail away is 4pm so a dinner would not be a problem. Which restaurant? Which day?

Sharon - if you want to do the first day gathering, please go ahead. With the current schedule it looks like I would be arriving about 6pm to board

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

7:00 pm works for me as well.  I just mentioned that because it worked so well for us.  We didn't need to arrange anything, just show up.  Of course, at 7:00 pm it might be different as night life starts.  

Getting Ships Services involved makes things a little easier since we would have a dedicated area. They might not want to do it for a small group tho

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers — I am so sorry about your DSIL’s mother. So young to pass away. Thank you for sharing the picture of her with her son. 

@TheKingD — Happy Birthday!

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion today. The Irish coffee sounds good. I remember that Seinfeld episode about George and Opposite Day. I speak up for myself but not as a public speaker. 

@ottahand7 — so glad you found someone to take the kitty. 

@Suslor — sorry for the loss of your friend. 

Fred @Overhead Fred — nice bottle of whiskey!

Terri @Cruzin Terri — good luck with the rest of your doctor appointments today and I hope you can have a better lunch than what your breakfast was. 

And a last thought/comment to everyone, which I’ve been meaning to say  for a while — I really appreciate your profile pictures!  I always thought I had a good memory (maybe not!) but can’t seem to spell worth a darn. So when I add a screen name with an @ in front of it I find it so much easier to find the right person when I see their avatar (I think that’s the right word).  There are times I have to search a bit more because I forgot a space or a dash or an underscore or the spelling (who knew you could spell cruise/cruising so many different ways). 

Have a great day everyone!

I agree 💯%.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

A bit of good news here.  The firefighter injured in yesterday's fire and on life support is reported to be awake and alert today.

Roy

That  is  good  news indeed. I also got  some  good  news  today my  wife  and  will  get  our

booster  shots at  2-30pm tomorrow. yay.

Jim and Sheila.

• Like 14

Just now, irishjim said:

That  is  good  news indeed. I also got  some  good  news  today my  wife  and  I  will  get

our booster shots  tomorrow. Yay.                                                                      Jim and Sheila.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, irishjim said:

That  is  good  news indeed. I also got  some  good  news  today my  wife  and I will  get  our

booster  shots at  2-30pm tomorrow. yay.

Jim and Sheila.

Thanks for all the daily reports.

@TheKingD Happy Birthday.

Condolences to @Suslor, @StLouisCruisersand @mamaofami.

@ottahand7 pleased that the cat has been rehomed.

@aliaschief so very  pleased to read your good news.

@Heartgrovegood to see that you included a photo of the FreeTtram in Melbourne (with you friend)

We have visited Melbourne many times, both by land and sea. it is my favourite of the Australian cities.

Again many thanks to the people who respond to posts by multiquoting. 

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Getting Ships Services involved makes things a little easier since we would have a dedicated area. They might not want to do it for a small group tho

And we might not like where they put us.  Actually, I am happy Sharon wants to organize this.  I've done Meet and Greets before, but it is nice to step back.  

A dedicated area for the first meeting is a great idea.  We can then talk and decide if we want to have a meet up place on a regular basis.  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Several regular posters on the Daily Threads are scheduled to sail on Nieuw Statendam from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale Oct 8th 2022. On my recent Rotterdam Christmas Cruise, @Sharon in AZ set up a nice meeting in the Ocean Bar for Daily regulars to get to know each other a bit. For those that are involved, would you like to do a meeting or maybe a dinner?

@dfish, @Cruising-along, and others?

Count us in, Rich, and thank you very much for suggesting it.  We'll make ourselves available for whatever is planned.  It looks to be a great cruise.

Maxine

• Like 8

2 hours ago, NextOne said:

I would love that - thank you!

Edi, Super!  Can you please email me?  My email is in my signature. 

1 hour ago, dfish said:

@Sharon in AZ @Cruising-along @dfish @AncientWanderer @NextOne @Live4cruises

Most days sail away is 4pm so a dinner would not be a problem. Which restaurant? Which day?

Sharon - if you want to do the first day gathering, please go ahead. With the current schedule it looks like I would be arriving about 6pm to board

Sure I don’t mind at all. However, I totally forgot that we were overnighting that first night so I’ll touch base with everyone separately to check their schedule. 

I just need @Cruising-along, @dfish, and @NextOne to email me so if you all can send me a quick email that would be super. I have the others. 

Rich, about the dinner— maybe we could plan on Tuesday October 11th (sea day) or Wednesday October 12th (Gaspe, all aboard 3:00 pm). October 13th is Charlottetown and all aboard is later, 6:00 pm. 

I’ll do some checking. 

1 minute ago, dfish said:

And we might not like where they put us.  Actually, I am happy Sharon wants to organize this.  I've done Meet and Greets before, but it is nice to step back.  

A dedicated area for the first meeting is a great idea.  We can then talk and decide if we want to have a meet up place on a regular basis.  

Debbie, I don’t mind doing our small get together for our Daily group but would never do it for a CC roll call. 😉

• Like 8

I have not read all the posts today. I will try to do that later.

This is just a quick update.

The blood work shows that the inflammation level is lower but not low enough.  It has gone from 15 to 10.  However the goal is below 2.  So I still have a way to go.  I will continue to take my prednisone and expect to lower the dosage on Feb.1 unless I hear differently from my doctor.  

I have not yet heard from him.  I expect that he will be in touch tomorrow.

As for the lump.  The doctor feels that it is not benign.  However he sent it for a biopsy.  He showed it to me and said that he said it was accumulated "fat" because I lost weight and this accumulated in one place.  He showed it to me and it looked like chicken fat.  So that seems like good news,  Go back next week to have the stitches removed.  The results will be on my portal in a few days.  Will let you know.  However I expect it to be good news.

Finally, Santa came through and we went to the Apple Store in Jacksonville and I finally got my new iPad. I am trying to set it up now.  I even got some money on a trade in.

I will try to post again after I read all the posts since I last posted early this morning and comment on what I have read.

For now, thank you for your prayers and good wishes.  I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it.

God bless,

Terri

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1