The Daily for Tuesday 01/25/2022

richwmn

I like Irish coffee!  Wine sounds really nice, I will have to look for it!

Happy Tuesday!  We went for routine bloodwork today- hopefully no new issues.  Afterwards we went for breakfast- I had excellent eggs Benedict and DH had homemade corn beef hash.  Makes bloodwork worthwhile!

• Like 25

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hi again!  Leaving here in about 5 minutes for my appointment and an errand first.  I have had some nice days in Melbourne on our two Australia cruises.  Later today I will post a couple photos from then.  Meanwhile, thanks to all for your condolences.  I didn't know DSIL's Mom Carol well but he is a great guy and I'm sad for his loss so early.  I have a sweet photo taken at his and my DD's wedding in 2007 of him standing next to his Mom.  Looking at it I can see clearly that he looks very much like her.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ9_vZUNu39QYg1zT24xBB1aAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=small&ts=1643056273

May she rest in peace.

Sandi, my condolences to DSIL, DD and his family.  It's never easy to let a loved one go, but

I hope they find peace knowing she is not suffering or lingering.  That is a lovely picture of DSIL and his mom.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Today is also Robbie Burns night celebration. Anyone for Haggis 😀Ive had In Edinburg.

Will you have a bit of salmon and a dram in honor of the night?  We have Burns Night supper every year -- with a token bit of canned haggis on the side.   I recite the poem.  But this year we have quarantine issues, so it is being postponed for a couple of weeks.  Robbie probably wouldn't mind.  I think he celebrated most nights. 😉

• Like 25

14 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Will you have a bit of salmon and a dram in honor of the night?  We have Burns Night supper every year -- with a token bit of canned haggis on the side.   I recite the poem.  But this year we have quarantine issues, so it is being postponed for a couple of weeks.  Robbie probably wouldn't mind.  I think he celebrated most nights. 😉

No salmon,, maybe gamon steak. I could really eat some Sticky Toffee pudding 

• Like 21

Good morning from cool, sunny Quartzsite.  It's supposed to be windy this afternoon, with a "cold" front coming through.  The great thing about being in the southwest desert, is even a "cold" front isn't all that cold most times, and this one will be gone after tomorrow.

Another interesting collection of days.  DH would probably like the Irish coffee, but I'll pass.

Today's quote, no matter who first said it, is a good one.

We'll pass on the meal and drink.  DH might like the wine.

We have not been to Melbourne, but hope to remedy that sometime.

@TheKingD 🥂 🎂 HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🎈 💐

@rafinmd  Roy, thanks for the pictures of Melbourne.

@ger_77  Sorry Sochi has an ingrown claw.  I think it is called the dew claw.

@Heartgrove  I know what you mean about the cost of a HVAC unit.  We had ours in Texas replaced a couple or so years ago.  We were lucky, it was between hearting season and a/c season.

@ottahand7 Plan for Vacation Day is a perfect day for the Daily, and is probably celebrated everyday by some Dailyite.  Glad the young man likes the cat, and hope she passes the vet check.  Thank you for doing so much for the poor lost kitty.

@aliaschief  I'm going to ignore your request and say congratulations on the good medical report. 👋

@Suslor  Our condolences on the loss of your neighbor and friend.  So glad you got to visit with her Saturday.

@1ANGELCAT and @AncientWanderer  I doubt we'll be having salmon tonight, but we did get to celebrate Burns Night on P&O Oriana in 2000.  There were three Scotsmen in the crew who along with the chief did the presentation of the Haggis in the dining room, complete with crossed bottles, swords and kilts.  Only one at the table tried the Haggis, and his wife said she'd only eat it if she made it.  Later the three put on a show celebrating Burns and Scotland in the aft showroom.  Unfortunately, we do not have any pictures from Burns Night.

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Just got back from the gym and have a hair appointment this morning but wanted to drop in and let you all know DSIL's Mom died last night about 10 pm.  Her MRI yesterday confirmed fluid on the brain and even if the surgeons drained it she was not going to live.  Her brain was too damaged by all the stroke/seizures she experienced in the past 10 days.  DSIL, his Dad and sister said their goodbyes and they started removing feeding tubes. 😪

Very shocking when someone passes so swiftly but I suppose better than lying in bed in a vegatative state for months or years. 

Roy, please remove DSIL from the Celebration list.  Thank you all for your earnest prayers but God does what he has planned. If I have a little time before my appointment I will come back to read.

So sorry to  hear this may she  RIP.  Prayers to  all her  family and  you.

Jim.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Another foggy morning here, and only 31F right now.  The sunshine predicted this week never did happen and rain is coming back later this week.

I had a great birthday yesterday, my neighbor gal pals and I sat around the fire pit for 3 hours and polished off a nice California blend. 😉  Then DH picked up a fabulous dinner from Red Lobster, and there's enough left for lunch today.  Dinner tonight is at DD's house with all the family after we watch the DGSs at their Tae Kwon Do practice.

Prayers for the families of the Baltimore firemen.  Such a tragedy. 😞  

@JAM37thank you for the birthday wishes!

@StLouisCruisersprayers and condolences for your DSDIL and the rest of the family. So sad.

@TheKingDhappy birthday!  I hope you have a wonderful day.

@ottahand7great news so far about the kitty!

@SuslorI'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your friend and neighbor.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, all! Opposite Day is interesting, but I would take Irish coffee day for the win!

@kazu prayers and continued strength for you, Jose and his doctors, and Marley, of course. @StLouisCruisers our condolences to your DSIL and family on the sudden loss of his mother. @Cruzin Terri I hope that egg sandwich tastes bad due to poor seasoning and not because it’s gone off!   @richwmnthanks for the good news about red wine. Are you sure, though, that it is wise to give this group an iron clad reason to drink more wine?😉

Our only experience with Melbourne was repatriating to Canada after the GWV ended in Perth in March 2020. Melbourne is where we changed planes to go to LAX. First they made us all leave the departure lounge we were waiting in. Then they let us back in, questioning each passenger and segregating the cruise ship passengers into a cordoned off area. We boarded last, after a wait. After the plane taxied from the gate, it was stopped. The flight attendants came through the cabin identifying all cruise ship passengers, their seat numbers, and what ship they had come off of. We then sat on the runway for over an hour while authorities in the US decided if the plane would be allowed to land with cruise ship passengers (most of whom were US citizens) aboard, or if we were denied entry and must remain in Australia. Suddenly becoming a refugee caught between two counties that don’t want anything to do with you and having no control over your own fate is quite humbling. Someday I would like to visit Melbourne under better circumstances.

The ice fog is slowly burning off here, and the sun is coming out. DH has a dentist appointment shortly, so I need to stop dawdling. 
Happy Tuesday, and how I miss these mats on our beloved BHB’s!

77485B51-6619-4D21-88D0-49132DEE0B08.thumb.jpeg.1fff048fa5fb82b30ba8ab6eb893495e.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Some interesting takes from this morning's news (Atlanta Station)

1) A study shows that Red Wine might deter Covid 19

2) They headlined the firefighter deaths in Baltimore

I saw that today about red wine, sometimes I get bad headaches from red wine but nothing like a nice Merlot especially if it helps fight Covid. Someone has to come out with a study that Chocolate deters Covid infection, DW and I would be very well protected.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 14
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Just got back from the gym and have a hair appointment this morning but wanted to drop in and let you all know DSIL's Mom died last night about 10 pm.  Her MRI yesterday confirmed fluid on the brain and even if the surgeons drained it she was not going to live.  Her brain was too damaged by all the stroke/seizures she experienced in the past 10 days.  DSIL, his Dad and sister said their goodbyes and they started removing feeding tubes. 😪

Very shocking when someone passes so swiftly but I suppose better than lying in bed in a vegatative state for months or years. 

Roy, please remove DSIL from the Celebration list.  Thank you all for your earnest prayers but God does what he has planned. If I have a little time before my appointment I will come back to read.

So sorry to hear this sad news @StLouisCruisers.  My deepest condolences. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

I pray she passes the vet check.  They are thrilled with her, such a kind cat and I cannot fathom how someone could discard her or not try to find her through the lost pet options on Facebook.   

As most here know I live in (actually near) a MAJOR College. Each year students move into their first apartment and immediately want a pet. This is usually a small dog or cat. 3 1/2 or 4 years later when they leave town they find the animal inconvenient. Some take them to the local humane society. Many, however, just leave them outside or take them to the 'country'.  That is how I ended up with Leo last year.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Some interesting takes from this morning's news (Atlanta Station)

1) A study shows that Red Wine might deter Covid 19

2) They headlined the firefighter deaths in Baltimore

Something else I saw on the news this AM, Ford is halting production of their extremely popular compact pickup truck the Maverick because they can't meet the demand. That's a strange business decision.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I think today's meal selection looks delicious!  Perfect vegetables for a winter bowl.  

I do a lot of crossword puzzles; I am always looking up unfamiliar words.  Brassica is the scientific name of a group of perennial broadleaf plants that belong to the mustard family. This group of plants includes cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, collards, rutabaga, mustard, kale, swede, radish, turnip, rape, and canola.

• Like 3

Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers — I am so sorry about your DSIL’s mother. So young to pass away. Thank you for sharing the picture of her with her son. 

@TheKingD — Happy Birthday!

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion today. The Irish coffee sounds good. I remember that Seinfeld episode about George and Opposite Day. I speak up for myself but not as a public speaker. 

@ottahand7 — so glad you found someone to take the kitty. 

@Suslor — sorry for the loss of your friend. 

Fred @Overhead Fred — nice bottle of whiskey!

Terri @Cruzin Terri — good luck with the rest of your doctor appointments today and I hope you can have a better lunch than what your breakfast was. 

And a last thought/comment to everyone, which I’ve been meaning to say  for a while — I really appreciate your profile pictures!  I always thought I had a good memory (maybe not!) but can’t seem to spell worth a darn. So when I add a screen name with an @ in front of it I find it so much easier to find the right person when I see their avatar (I think that’s the right word).  There are times I have to search a bit more because I forgot a space or a dash or an underscore or the spelling (who knew you could spell cruise/cruising so many different ways). 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I saw that today about red wine, sometimes I get bad headaches from red wine but nothing like a nice Merlot especially if it helps fight Covid. Someone has to come out with a study that Chocolate deters Covid infection, DW and I would be very well protected.

If that would be the case, then I'd really be protected between my daily chocolate allowance and Pinot Noir.  😉 🍬 🍷

12 minutes ago, richwmn said:

As most here know I live in (actually near) a MAJOR College. Each year students move into their first apartment and immediately want a pet. This is usually a small dog or cat. 3 1/2 or 4 years later when they leave town they find the animal inconvenient. Some take them to the local humane society. Many, however, just leave them outside or take them to the 'country'.  That is how I ended up with Leo last year.

I hate it that people leave their pets to fend for themselves.  I'm sure both you and Leo are happy you found each other.

1 minute ago, MISTER 67 said:

Something else I saw on the news this AM, Ford is halting production of their extremely popular compact pickup truck the Maverick because they can't meet the demand. That's a strange business decision.

That is what I call a oxymoron, and I bet it isn't taught in any business school.  😉

Lenda

• Like 23

12 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:
31 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I hate it that people leave their pets to fend for themselves.  I'm sure both you and Leo are happy you found each other.

I hate it too.  Makes me glad  our kids grew up knowing that if you get a pet, that pet is for life, it's part of the family.  Not just something to discard when it doesn't suit you anymore. 😡

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Suslor said:

So sorRy @StLouis Cruiserto hear about DSIL mom passing.

Yesterday we got a morning call that our dear friend and neighbor passed away. She was unexpected hospitalized with heart issues and staying with her daughters in NJ over the holidays. Saturday they brought her back to DC to check the house and pick up mail and blessed DH and myself by having lunch with us as she wasn’t seeing any other neighbors. She appeared in good spirits and ate our homemade Turkey sOup and some chocolate ice cream. That  was her last meal as she didn’t eat anything on Sunday. She apparently knew the end was near and talked with her three daughters Sunday night. Monday morning she was having a sip of water and just dIed 🥲😢

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Condolences to her family and friends.

Graham.

• Like 13

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is Opposite Day

I assume that it is also Opposite Day in Bikini Bottom.  Spongebob and Patrick must be pretty excited.

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

A study shows that Red Wine might deter Covid 19

Boy, if this is true, I must have maximum immunity.

• Like 12
  • Haha 5