The Daily for Monday 01/31/2022

richwmn

Today is Backward Day, Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day, and Inspire Your Heart with Art Day

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.--Albert Einstein

Meal Suggestion for today - sloppy joes okra slaw 0917
Drink of the Day - Smoked Maple Old Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Chateau St. Michelle, Mimi Chardonnay, WA
Destination of the Day - Molde, Norway

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam  

Destination Cartagena, CO eta 2/1

Nieuw Statendam  

Destination Port Everglades. FL eta 2/2

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam  

Destination Ensenada MX eta 2/1

Zuiderdam  

Destination Puerto Vallarta, M eta 2/2

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos

Rotterdam  

08:00 - 13:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Nieuw Amsterdam  

off Fort Lauderdale, FL US

At Sea Ionian Sea

Volendam  

Destination Augusta IT eta 2/1

At Sea Mediterranean Sea

Oosterdam  

Destination Limassol CY eta 2/1

Corfu GR

Zaandam  

Los Angeles CA US

Westerdam  

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Noordam  

0131NAmerica.thumb.png.294b1543579f0c3af1fc82a89c915917.png

0131Europe.thumb.png.77f5940b4517f76935e4b0f9d58d736f.png

• Like 35
  • Thanks 12

Good morning all, still pretty cold in Florida but it should warm up fairly quick so I'm heading to our golf course and play in my golf group which usually has 20 of us. Probably a little bit of a frost delay.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 28

Good morning and thanks for the daily report.  Interesting collection of days, I do like the inspiration that art gives. I like Einstein’s quote he was one smart dude.  I’ll have to wait for the recipe to decide on the meal suggestion, okra isn’t one of my favorites.  Have not been to today’s port so I’ll have to enjoy it through the photos.  Prayers for all on our list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Morning all! Just a quick post. Heading off to my annual wellness visit. It is a lot warmer here this morning!😎

Today starts the animal series…

83974A2A-5A74-4E49-A5C9-3C2F14F12912.jpeg.023b81d4a0aee136376c9c4532c76f03.jpeg

0F45398B-4819-4C18-B75E-83D1FBB987E2.jpeg.5ddd9825b5f0894b87c6b254e8d0522f.jpeg

CA5F36B8-0070-4160-ABA5-2A044DB87528.jpeg.141ed5ff88b15f71911a0146bc1a875e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Chateau St. Michelle, Mimi Chardonnay

I suspect many of our white wine lovers have enjoyed a glass of this very good - excellently rated Chardonnay with a price that is hard to beat. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $8.99!

Winemaker Notes

Discover Mimi, a delicious Chardonnay sourced from the Horse Heaven Hills, including Chateau Ste. Michelle’s Canoe Ridge Estate Vineyard. Mimi is crafted in a lightly oaked, fresh style which allows the bright, elegant fruit to shine through.

Pair with salmon, crab cakes, and poultry.

W&S90 Wine & Spirits
This is crisp and lemony, with a forward juicy-apple note that’s light, fresh and firm. With its nervy acidity, it’s suitable for chilling down to serve as an aperitif.
WE90 Wine Enthusiast
Mimi Chardonnay (Horse Heaven Hills). Cream, spice and roasted squash aromas draw you into the glass. The palate is graceful and elegant, with impeccable balance to the stone fruit and pumpkin flavors throughout, along with a pretty sense of texture. A lingering finish caps it off. It walks the tightrope perfectly.
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting days.  Not sure about Backward Day,  but I love bubble wrap and some art inspires me.

Good quote.

Not sure about the meal suggestion. 

The drink and the wine sound good.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on Backward Day, Bubble Wrap is useful but can also be frustrating, and my preferred art form is music.  I love the Einstein quote but have not been to Molde.  I'll pass on the meal.  Still cold here but starting to warm up.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation and Jose’s fall and fracture

Welfare of furloughed crews
Mr. Boston awaiting biopsy results
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
summer slope BCC surgery in February
rafinmd recovering from radiation side effects
HAL Sailor DH health issues
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
Queen of Da Nile (NS to 2/2) at sea
Cruising single at sea  (Zuiderdam to 2/13)
5 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
Garlictown in Hawaii
An offer for USN59-79
Sharon DD confirmed free of covid
luvteaching DH free from IV
Tana approvedfor rehab hospital stepup
Welcome Baby Oliver dfish great nephew
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 9

Thanks for the Monday Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days.  I feel like a lot of stuff is backwards these days so I can easily celebrate Backward Day 😉 Art is truly inspiring.

Love the quote by Einsteen.  I think I will try to follow it.

@cat shepardyou are so right on the wine.  I’ve had it and enjoyed it on occasion 😉 

Well, I finally got dug out.  I’m sure you all remember my deck that used to have flowers?  Here it is now:

543C5DA5-640F-4E8E-A90D-FE8E78018E46.thumb.jpeg.e22bc243dd0aef14b737b187d921b7b9.jpeg

The snow is higher than Marley.  I took this last night.

865F317B-31A2-43C9-BB01-A546CA8A4493.thumb.jpeg.ace4a87cbaf08c578f47fea39f6f3961.jpeg

But at least now he and I don’t have to struggle so hard.  Picking up his you know what is another story.  He always finds the deepest spots 😠 

Happy to say that his limp is not so pronounced today and he has begun eating again.  Whew!  I plan on calling the vet though as I think his meds are causing side effects which I didn’t know about 😡 I found them by googling and think this is the reason he hurt himself.  I didn’t give him one yesterday and won’t until I talk to them.

@marshhawkenjoyed hearing about your fur babies.  Love your cat memes and thought I would share back for you

68A27D0C-94BE-4A23-AB33-AE8833B7C7DD.jpeg.79deea2243d0bf0b0413a261bb7adab2.jpeg

and the other cat lovers (of which we have many) on the Daily.  This one was true for me when I had mine 😉 

D3868387-44A2-4B05-B844-E26DBD8A8D78.thumb.jpeg.e2323dab0ff9eac7fabc648cacb5b470.jpeg

Hoping I get the word from the hospital today or tomorrow 🙏🏻 Couldn’t talk to Jose last night as his phone went unanswered.  I called the nurse’s station to see if he was in his room or had declined and they said he had said his phone wasn’t working.  They said they were short staffed but would check tomorrow to see if it had become unplugged.  GRRRR. I know they are short staffed but it is so frustrating - especially when I am paying for it. I guess I am sort of getting like this

6781E89B-0AF4-4E3A-89D6-1644C8CA736A.jpeg.18be51324d14befecfc9e2b0688fde61.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone !!!!!

114B1416-1FCE-4149-AD5D-DA5EAB04BA1A.thumb.jpeg.7a1ebb609f0a836cd1e858a9d37f492e.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 42
  • Haha 8

Good afternoon.

It is 39°F and sunny today.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for keeping all the list's up to date.

I think most of us pop bubble wrap at some time.

Art in all its forms including music is interesting.

Today's quote is not very flexible for most of us.

I will give the food and drink today a miss but nice wine of the day.

Prayers 🙏 always for everyone they can benefit.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220131_121148.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Some art inspires me, but mostly music. Bubble wrap is a useful item for packages.

We had sloppy joes last night. I like slaw, not sure about okra slaw. Great quote.

Hoping to hear that Tana gets moved today.

I love that the care list seems a bit shorter.

We should be leaving two weeks from today for another trip to Florida which will include our short cruise.

Have a good day and remember to smile. 🙂

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 32

Good morning to all. @kazu,I was picking up after the dogs this morning and wondering why they like the deepest snow.It remains over their heads and my boots.My DSIL had 28 inches in Massachusetts so I will not complain.

If all goes well I will drive Tana's  son up to see her later this afternoon after school.Only one  visitor is allowed so I will wait in the car.He is fully vaccinated  now and very careful in general. I am sure it will be a happy event.

I have already started backwards day as  I made tonight's  dinner earlier.We are having a nice vegetarian  lasagna and I will skip the okra.

I like the quote and have not been to the port.

@grapau27,I am joining in with the others about Alaska.My Brooklyn born husband was never enthused  about going but we have returned again at his insistence. We had such an incredible  time and  were amazed at the wildlife and scenery. 

Terry

• Like 31

Good morning everyone. It’s 8 degrees out and Sam and I both have to go to PT. There’s ice still outside that we have to walk over. Sam’s aide will help him and I will be in the car.

I am living every day thankful for the miracle that Sam is alive and improving every day. 
So, now to the aides. we have Kati 4 days a week. She does Sam’s laundry and goes with him tomPT. She keeps the house clean, knows how to work the dishwasher and microwave and oven. On Friday and the weekend we have Martin. He is supposed to fill 2 humidifiers in the bedroom. I have to remind him every night and at midnight I found only one filled. He saves paper cups after he washes them and doesn’t put any dishes in the dishwasher but, he changed the filter in our furnace which required that he climb up on a ladder and he carried heavy things out to the garage. He’s very lazy and I have to remind him each day what he has to do.  I’m not complaining any more because this is as good as it’s going to get. I knownI probably I sound very petty but we can never find anything when we look because they put it away any where they feel like. It’s very hard having so many different people here so I’m leaving it alone now.

Stay safe out there,

Carol

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, everyone.

It is a frigid 5F here in northeast Ohio this morning, but the sun is shining brightly and it is supposed to warm up to 35F by this afternoon.  I will have to get out and chip away at some of the piles in the driveway in anticipation of the Wednesday/Thursday storm where we could get 5-8 inches of new fluffy stuff.  

I think I'll go with everything is a miracle in life.  It is such a bright perspective.  Perhaps my feelings are colored by our new arrival.  That truly is a miracle.  I like the wine and the drink sounds interesting.  We were supposed to go to Molde in 2020,  Enough said about that.  Art takes on so many forms.  Some people don't think they are artistic because they can't draw or sing, but art is far more diverse.  While I was a math teacher, I always looked at art in its various forms as what gave beauty and depth to our existence.   

Now for the culinary arts.   Today's meal is an interesting one.  I like sloppy joes, but I'm not sure about the okra slaw.  I'd give it a try if it was served to me.   The first recipe is the one that most of the others have copied.  It uses chicken instead of ground beef.   https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/recipes/a44280/sloppy-joes-pickled-okra-slaw-recipe/

15897445_sloppyjoeswithokraslaw1.jpg.666e6585ff6696148eb82abd385ed8f2.jpg

This one doesn't make the slaw but does serve roasted okra with the sloppy joe.   https://thehungryapple.com/2012/11/10/sloppy-joes-and-roasted-okra/

1672780394_sloppyjoes.jpg.d4256d1a49c37a731b9eb91b508d6280.jpg

This one uses a regular slaw on it, but infuses some good old BBQ!    https://dinnerthendessert.com/memphis-bbq-sloppy-joes/

Memphis-BBQ-Sloppy-Joes-3-1-688x979.thumb.jpg.031759ce2dd641b10b4a8f77d63ab341.jpg

And, lastly, if you don't like the okra in the slaw, perhaps avocado will be more appealing.  This is the healthy option with a turkey base.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/turkey-sloppy-joes-with-avocado-slaw/

Turkey-Sloppy-Joes-with-Avocado-Slaw_exps167565_SD2847494D02_13_5bC_RMS-3.jpg.c115f87cb49904ecc69861b238bca418.jpg

Happy eating.    

Prayers for all who need them and cheers to all who are celebrating.   

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Backward Day can be fun; I remember getting our son dressed for "dress backward" day at school - lots of giggles.  Who doesn't love popping bubble wrap?  I still do!  Art in many forms can provide inspiration.

I like today's quote, it makes you appreciate every day you have.  I'm not a great fan of white wine, and we haven't been to Norway, but have seen many photos of it's beauty.

Not a lot on the agenda today, just hanging around the house waiting for the storm to come later today.   I will have time to work on a cross stitch project and will put a bread pudding in the oven to use up the stale bread, buns, muffins and croissants that are in a bag in the freezer.  It's looking like a nice day outside right now with a temp of only -5C (23F), but we're told the wind will be picking up by mid-day, bringing with it snow and colder temps.  We can't expect anything else, living on the "frozen tundra"!

Looking at the memories portion of my FB page today shows that 4 years ago we were at Grand Cayman, while 6 years ago we were in FLL on a b2b enjoying the almost empty ship on turn-around day.  Sigh.

While I'm not a fan of okra, the title of today's menu suggestion is interesting; I look forward to seeing the recipe.    I've got a couple of pork chops thawing in the fridge that will be oven baked with rice and served with some steamed vegetables for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  @kazu I hope you'll be able to get in to see Jose very soon so you can take charge of things once more.  Like you, I don't like having to rely on others a lot.   We'll raise the glasses to celebrate everyone on the happy list.  Be well, get your boosters, wash your hands, wear your masks, stay safe, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 37

Good morning Rich and fellow Daily-ites. 

Prayers already said and blessings to everyone here.

Does anyone know what ship was too close to Port Canaveral that stopped the space launch? The article I read mentioned 2 in the area.

It has been raining cats and dogs since late last night and will continue today.

I am going to put a beef roast in the crock pot and make some roasted veggies.

As for okra, I like fried okra once in a blue moon. Allen loves it in a stew with tomatoes and corn. I drink the wine of the day often. 

Take care and enjoy your day! 

• Like 26

Good Morning and Happy Monday!

Interesting collection of days. I do NOT like bubble wrap anymore. I used to, until I deployed to Afghanistan and came back with ptsd. Loud noises startle me badly so I do not like bubble wrap anymore, along with many other loud noises (like people making their cars honk because they feel the need to keep pressing the lock button on their key fobs - I just want to kick them… 😡). 

Albert Einstein was an incredible man. That is a good saying. 

I had a delicious slaw as a side in a restaurant in Bar Harbor, Maine on one of my cruises and ended up putting it on the bland sandwich I was eating. It wasn’t a seafood sandwich, but can’t recall now what it was. 

I’ll pass on the drink - still don’t like whiskey! The wine sounds ok though. I’ll drink Chardonnay in a pinch. 

Someday I will visit Norway…

Edited by Navybikermom
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning! Woke up too a quick power outage so will be resetting several clocks/timers  this morning.

Enjoyed yesterday’s football games. Today will be the usual laundry and will wait for it to warm up some before my Daily walk. I do not enjoy walking in 38 degree temperatures.

We have been on a from scratch soup fest. Saturday was Ox tail soup, yesterday was a sausage lentil and today we are having chicken enchilada soup. They all are suitable with our Phase II South Beach diets and really enjoyable during these cold winter days.

Thanks Rich, Roy and to all of our posters. Continued concerns and prayers for all in need.

Have a great week!

• Like 27